How do people feel about un-universe characters?

Hello everyone, I am new to ff14 and rp in general. As such, I had some questions in regards to playing characters that exist(ed) within the story of the game.

I am currently roleplaying the character Edda. I found her to be a deeply captivating character and so moved was I by the events of tam-tara deepcroft HM and potd, I decided I wanted to play her as a character.

In my roleplay, Edda survived the events of tam-tara and the palace of the dead, owing in part to the fresh awakening of the power of the echo within her and from the timely assistance of the Scion's champion. From there, with the aid of the Scion's first champion, she was taken to Gridania to recover, free from the influences of the necromancer, Obdilord. It was from here that she eventually began her journey as an adventurer anew, as much for her own sake as for the memory of her lost love, Avere. Full unaware was she of what life had in store for her, what she would eventually come to be known as across the realm.

I have puzzled out a nore in-depth explanation as to the why and how of it. However, whilst many seem to have forgotten Edda, there have been some folk about Eorzea who have recognized her and taken some joy in their encounter, which makes me happy. I am aware that my character is still in direct contradiction to the lore of the game, so I ask, how much of an issue could this be? Should I continue with this character? Is it too world breaking?

Your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated, thank you for reading!

Roleplaying an established NPC with a small RP circle, keeping to yourselves in private chat channels: probably fine, as it's nobody else's business what you do and your group determines how they want to play around with concepts / make up their own canon.

Roleplaying an established NPC with the general public or other FCs: you'll get way more hostility and pushback, as you're expected to have enough originality to write your own toon backstory without twisting around ingame lore. Yes, alternate worlds have been well established in the lore since the FF13 crossover and later raid stories / PVP rewards, but saying you're another Edda can be a bit too much of a stretch for most people. 

Using NPC appearances for your character is a pretty common trend across the game in general, but it might not be sustainable for long-term RP. At best, you can take the concept of "an Edda that survived the lich's corruption / mind rape" and apply it to an original PC backstory - say, a hearer who was taken into the Palace of the Dead or a similar dungeon, and she went through hell like Edda did. All RP is a writing and improv exercise, and it's certainly fine to be inspired by Edda's arc, rather than copying it wholesale.

It really depends on what you're hoping to get out of RP. Are you happy RPing in only a small group? Like another poster said, if you stick to people you know are all right with it, you'll likely encounter no issues at all. There are people who will RP anything with no mind for the lore and they are a fairly sizable group, at least on Balmung and Mateus where I spend most of my time.

But that begets the question: How lore breaking is too lore breaking for you? Because generally speaking those are the types of characters/players who will accept such a concept with open arms.

But ironically, you'll have more of an overlap with people who stick to the lore and people who know who Edda even is, as lore abiding sorts are not surprisingly the ones who bother to research and remember it for the most part. Those people, including myself, will have their characters politely humor "Edda" at best or if it's more IC of them tell her outright she's a delusional lunatic and leave.

If we're all in our own little sandboxes making the sandcastles how our instructor Yoshi P showed us and someone decides they're going to make a sand penguin instead, that's well within their right. What players of extremely lore breaking characters often don't acknowledge is taking your NPC/Garlean experiment futa/whatever to public events is more carrying your sand penguin down the line, stomping on castles as go.

It's unfortunately not a live and let live situation because the very nature of having a back-from-the-dead NPC character immediately forces lore friendly players to abandon something important to THEM under the expectations the lore breaking player's desires are more important.

As NPC/lore breaking stuff goes this is actually one of the more interesting ideas I've seen, great as a stand alone story or in a small, like-minded group, but I wouldn't RP with, I can't think of any people I know personally who would, and you will be met with some hostility ooc from people tired of their sandcastles being stomped on. Most will just politely avoid you, though. If that doesn't bother you then go for it.

@SQUAWK @Kieron Lohengrin

Thank you for your responses. As I said, I am completely new to this, so your advice is most welcome.

I can especially understand how something like this could be a bother to the most lore-concious of players. I certainly do not wish to ruin other people's experiences!

As you have both said, I think it may be best to keep this roleplay on a more personal level. As I said, I have had interactions with others, but these instances have always been things that other players have started.

I'll admit, my description wasn't overly detailed, but as a stand-alone story, I have become quite attached to this character and how she has developed. It would be a real shame for me to delete her. As such, I think I shall keep away from more public rp, unless I am openly invited to join in by other players.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and answering me.

It would also be 'interesting if you ran into someone else also playing "Edda". Like the old psychiatry joke about putting two people who both think they are 'Napoleon' into the same room. The one that finally decides they're actually Napoleons brother is the one that can eventually be cured...

I know a few NPC role-players, and they tend to run in private circles unless someone outside initiates.  Depending on your character people may interact superficially: my friend who role-plays Sir Zephirin will get slapped on the street.  It's an acknowledgement and sometimes people enjoy rehashing old beef or thoughts with NPC characters.

If your server has an NPC guild you might be able to start there, but if not I'd highly recommend looking up Ishgardian NPC role-players.  They seem to have a general consensus of when and where to publicly role-play.  I'm sure some are on this site but both Twitter and Dreamwidth also have some individuals who do exclusive NPC roleplaying!

Also do not be shy to propose AUs (Alternative Universes) to people you are really interested in with people you've come to have an established repport with.  It gives you a bit more creative freedom with your NPC and it also can allow your partner to really explore a different aspect of a character without committing it to their in-universe character.