The foods! FOOD!

Which food IRL would you prefer?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which food IRL would you prefer?

• Pizza!
    • Soup, any soup. Just soup.
    • Anything really.. as long as it is cooked well.
    • Bacon Bacon Bacon!

JJ, having adventured most of his life, eats pretty much anything. You ain't picky when you're lost in the wilderness. Bigs (big or small), fish, vegetation, things on meat-haunches (big or small)... He, of course, favors large plates of meat. But he's not beyond hanging out in a fruit tree all day nomming on fruits. Overall he's an opportunist.

Aysun has a stereotypical taste for fish, raw. She also greatly enjoys pastries and sweets, and they are a real treat, because they are expensive for her to purchase and she can't make them herself. Tea is a must, she finds her own leaves and makes her own usually (and is really terrible at it, usually with quite a bit of dreg still in it, but she clearly makes it to her own taste). She doesn't care for fruit, because they're /too/ sweet, but will eat them. Doesn't care for red meat / dodo / mutton either but won't turn it away. She really dislikes crayfish. A lot. Disgusting things. But again, you eat what you have to! And of course, she had developed quite a drinking problem over the last year or so, and is very partial to any quality rum or ale.

Sun lemons~  Like, by themselves.  Eva even wrote a poem about that once!

Eva is a character who used to be drastically overweight and has since lost much of her body mass, so she still eats very sensibly - small portions of meat, fish, rice, lots of fruit and vegetables, and an wonderful overabundance of tea.

She does still have a weakness for chocolate, but it's a little more under control now.  :blush:

Buuuuuut if we're talking about what the diet of the average adventurer from Thanalan consists of, or the average duskwight elezen, I'm not sure.  There are merchants in each of the city-states from each of the other city-states so there is a great deal of variety from which to choose.

K'haz's favorite is Rabbit. He's not crazy about fish though - didn't grow up with it being raised in a desert and all. He loves ice cream though. He's willing to try anything once but really prefers meat. Ice cream with bits of bacon in it? He'll kill a man for that.

Do they have pizza in Eorzea?

Good point...oh god what if they don't have bacon. Or ice cream? Or ice cream bacon?!

Haha but no seriously, who knows? I don't think they'll ever be a list of foods that are lore appropriate on the official web sight so I say wing it. 

Though I am a little curious about Gridania. Do they have to be careful what they farm so not to upset the elementals? And what about Ul'dah? I haven't really explored it yet but are there farms? I mean they're in the middle of the desert. They can't just rely solely on trade, can they?

Do they have pizza in Eorzea?

Good point...oh god what if they don't have bacon. Or ice cream? Or ice cream bacon?!

Haha but no seriously, who knows? I don't think they'll ever be a list of foods that are lore appropriate on the official web sight so I say wing it. 

Though I am a little curious about Gridania. Do they have to be careful what they farm so not to upset the elementals? And what about Ul'dah? I haven't really explored it yet but are there farms? I mean they're in the middle of the desert. They can't just rely solely on trade, can they?

There are cities in the desert in real life, I assume that in a world with magic they're able to do everything we can and better.  Also, ice cream bacon would just be bacon made out of ice cream, you want bacon ice cream...

Marmot roasted over a campfire! ...No, really. Bea made it for Misericorde a ton back in 1.0 due to being dirt poor and marmots being readily available. But, even after coming into some money she's acquired a taste of it, much to the dismay of her fellow team mates.

If you hadn't considered it yet, the Culinarian class and information about it might be a good resource. 

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Culinarian

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Foods

Other than that, I almost think it might be acceptable to draw from real world influences... Let me know if I'm totally off base here, but-... 

Roegadyn might have some dishes that resemble german cuisine.

Sunseeker Miqo'te might have some dishes that resemble native american or mexican cuisine.

Wildwood Elezen might have some dishes that resemble french cuisine.

Dunesfolk Lalafell might have some dishes that resemble middle eastern cuisine.

Just some assumptions, based on naming, geography, etc. Either way, it will be interesting to see how the game shows these kinds of things. 

My own characters? I think Hyltwakka will have less of an appetite than most Roegadyn, but smoked salmon (or whatever fish exists) will be a favorite, and he'll be perfectly happy with whatever's common in Gridania or to the Wildwood / Moonkeepers. 

I really don't have my Sunseeker figured out too much, but I imagine he'll be reluctant to eat anything that he hasn't killed or that someone he's close to hasn't killed. He'll want to know what everything is, how it died, what the person who prepared it was like. Maybe. It sounds like an interesting sort of quirk, and I sort of base it on the fact that he'll be from the Antelope tribe, and he (at least) will feel a sort of honorable, reverent relationship between himself and his prey / food.

edit: There is something called a Tomato Pie... Sounds like pizza.

edit: I might have been a bit off. Maybe.

Examples of actual racial food:

-http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Dark_Pretzel (Dunesfolk)

-http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Dodo_Omelette (Dunesfolk)

-http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Rabbit_Pie (Wildwood)

-http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Meat_Miq%27abob (Sunseeker)

-http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Forest_Miq%27abob (Sunseeker)

-http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Tuna_Miq%27abob (Moonkeeper)

-http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Salmon_Meuniere (Moonkeeper)

-http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Honey_Muffin (Midlander)

-http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Aldgoat_Steak (Highlander)

-http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Smoked_Raptor (Hellsguard)

-http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Stuffed_Cabbage (Sea Wolf)

I'm going to try guessing a little here...

Common with Sea Wolves?

-A fresh, raw oyster, shucked and splashed with a squeeze of sun lemon. (Raw Oyster)

-A tiger cod salted and dried in the sun. (Salt Cod)

-A traditional Sea Wolf dish consisting of pike wrapped in cabbage and steamed until soft. (Stuffed Cabbage)

-Chopped midland cabbage pickled with salt. A staple on all Lominsan trade ships, as it is said to prevent the scurvy. (Sauerkraut)

-A light soup of butter-sauteed whitefish and vegetables. (Fish Soup)

-A complimentary acorn treat baked by the Mizzenmast Inn. May contain nuts. (Mizzenmast Biscuit)

-Apkallu eggs beaten and then cooked in rich butter until fluffy and light. A favorite in Vylbrand's coastal hamlets. (Apkallu Omelette)

An apple-filled pastry shaped to resemble the legendary sunfish. (Pastry Fish)

-A rich bon-bon made from sweet white chocolate infused with heavier-than-air bubbles. (Pearl Chocolate)

-This dark green variety of seaweed found in all five of Eorzea's seas has been known to grow up to a malm in length. (Malm Kelp)

Common with Sunseekers?

-Cactus leaves roasted like a steak and slathered in a colorful vegetable sauce. (Roasted Nopales)

-This vegetable soup is made cold and then heated by inserting a scalding rock. (Stone Soup)

-A roasted artichoke stuffed with a savory blend of pungent cheese and succulent crab meat. (Stuffed Artichoke)

-A thick strip of lean buffalo meat dried in the sun. (Jerked Beef)

-Simple, unleavened bread made of flour and water. (Flatbread)

-A tough piece of meat taken from the upper-leg of an antelope. (Antelope Shank)

-A thick, spiny-leaved cactus indigenous to the southern continent of Meracydia. The Miqo'te are known to treat severe burns with the cool gel-like substance found inside the leaves. (Aloe)

-An edible, oval-leaved cactus brought back by explorers of the New Continent. (Nopales)

-The fruit of a sunflower, this small seed is covered by a thin, black shell. (Sunflower Seeds)

-Hundreds of sweet yellow kernels adorn each cob of this vegetable native to the recently discovered New Continent. (Millioncorn)

Bleh, so many kinds of food... It would be really difficult to try and pin all of it to a certain race, since there's most definitely a lot of cross-over. But I did what I could, and it's still probably not 100% accurate.

I don't even know if Roegadyn would refer to food in the old tongue, but they seem very fond of both tradition AND food... So I put this together, using the Roegadyn dictionary. I just might have to make my Roegadyn a Culinarian... 

Some words might be off slightly. I wasn't sure what to do to make Herb/Smoke/Boil into Herbed/Smoked/Boiled, so I chose either ING (n) or Y (i) depending on what sounded right. If something seems completely off, let me know. Also, some dishes / ingredients might not seem typical for Roegadyn, but might be something other races eat. Frog Legs, for example, I would relate to Wildwood Elezen (their names sound very french). Anyway, this isn't completely "done", so I might edit things in or out.

[align=center]====Food=====[/align]

Complete Examples

Alyruhtnlahz (Alder Smoking Salmon)

Wurtiwyrst (Herbed/y Sausage)

Ahlahct (River Eel)

Skapfmaga (Sheep Stomach)

Elakbhrat (Elk Meat)

Aenthaerz (Duck Heart)

Fruskbenn (Frog Leg)

Sunnfhis (Sun Fish)

Wallimhol (Boiled/y Eft) 

Pfefilorh (Peppered/y Rabbit)

Pfrymcwin (Plum Wine)

Zoeropyl (Sour Apple)

Swozbera (Sweet Berry) 

Eifakyrss (Bitter Cherry)

Flazswaen (Flat Mushroom)

Noezbrot (Walnut Bread)

Saelzisaem (Salted/y Seed)

Berktu (xP Just kidding...) 

Rymmibhir jho ruhtnhezzurs (Frosty beer and smoking hot auroch.)

Meat

Frusk = Frog

Wyrn = Snake

Ahl = Eel

Fhis (Fhisk) = Fish

Lahz = Salmon

Mhol = Salamander/Eft

Aent = Duck

Folg = Bird

Spaer = Sparrow

Lorh = Rabbit

Rael = Doe

Skapf = Sheep

Gaez = Goat

Ramm = Ram

Born = Boar

Kilb = Calf

Elak = Elk

Farr = Bull

Urs = Auroch

Faez = Fat

Haerz = Heart

Broes = Chest

Maga = Stomach

Benn = Leg

Zagyl = Tail

Zoeng = Tongue

Bhrat = Meat

Gara = Skin

Plant

Frut = Fruit

Bera = Berry

Kyrss = Cherry

Pfrym = Plum

Opyl = Apple

Eyhil = Acorn

Kest = Chestnut

Noez = Walnut

Saem = Seed

Klet = Burdock

Loef = Leaf

Pfef = Pepper

Swaen = Mushroom

Weitz = Wheat

Brot = Bread

Descriptor

Ruht = Smoke

Wall = Boil

Wurt = Herb

Hezz = Hot

Kelt = Cold

Waem = Warm

Ais = Ice

Saelz = Salt

Swoz = Sweet

Zoer = Sour

Eifa = Bitter

Ahct = River

Merl = Sea

Wilt = Wild

Berk = Mountain

Hylt = Forest

Isil = Island

Byrm = Tree

Rymm = Frost

Sunn = Sun

Moen = Moon

Alyr = Alder (Tree)

Eyha = Oak (Tree)

Aren = Harvest

Blaet = Blood

Bryn = Spring

Cwaen = Pine

Fyr = Fire

Geiss = Ghost

Grina = Howl

Keim = Purple

Gryne = Green

Bloe = Blue

Rhot = Red

Fhil = Yellow

Guld = Gold

Broen = Brown

Swar = Black

Sylb = Silver

Thosin = Grey

Blei = Pale

Flaz = Flat

Flekk = Spotted

Skoen = Shining

Swyn = Round

Jho = And

Denn = Thin

Doer = Dry

Edz = Eat

Guht = Good

Drink

Bhir = Ale

Cwin = Wine

Tu = Dew

Wyta = Water

Glaz = Glass

I don't even know if Roegadyn would refer to food in the old tongue, but they seem very fond of both tradition AND food... So I put this together, using the Roegadyn dictionary. I just might have to make my Roegadyn a Culinarian... 

Some words might be off slightly. I wasn't sure what to do to make Herb/Smoke/Boil into Herbed/Smoked/Boiled, so I chose either ING (n) or Y (i) depending on what sounded right. If something seems completely off, let me know. Also, some dishes / ingredients might not seem typical for Roegadyn, but might be something other races eat. Frog Legs, for example, I would relate to Wildwood Elezen (their names sound very french). Anyway, this isn't completely "done", so I might edit things in or out.

[align=center]====Food=====[/align]

Complete Examples

Ruhtnlahz (Smoking Salmon)

Wurtiwyrst (Herbed/y Sausage)

Ahlahct (River Eel)

Skapfmaga (Sheep Stomach)

Elakbhrat (Elk Meat)

Aenthaerz (Duck Heart)

Fruskbenn (Frog Leg)

Sunnfhis (Sun Fish)

Wallimhol (Boiled/y Eft) 

Pfefilorh (Peppered/y Rabbit)

Pfrymcwin (Plum Wine)

Zoeropyl (Sour Apple)

Swozbera (Sweet Berry) 

Eifakyrss (Bitter Cherry)

Flazswaen (Flat Mushroom)

Noezbrot (Walnut Bread)

Saelzisaem (Salted/y Seed)

Berktu (xP Just kidding...) 

Meat

Frusk = Frog

Wyrn = Snake

Ahl = Eel

Fhis (Fhisk) = Fish

Lahz = Salmon

Mhol = Salamander/Eft

Aent = Duck

Folg = Bird

Spaer = Sparrow

Lorh = Rabbit

Rael = Doe

Skapf = Sheep

Gaez = Goat

Ramm = Ram

Born = Boar

Elak = Elk

Urs = Auroch

Faez = Fat

Haerz = Heart

Maga = Stomach

Benn = Leg

Bhrat = Meat

Plant

Frut = Fruit

Bera = Berry

Kyrss = Cherry

Pfrym = Plum

Opyl = Apple

Eyhil = Acorn

Kest = Chestnut

Noez = Walnut

Saem = Seed

Loef = Leaf

Pfef = Pepper

Swaen = Mushroom

Weitz = Wheat

Brot = Bread

Descriptor

Ruht = Smoke

Wall = Boil

Wurt = Herb

Hezz = Hot

Kelt = Cold

Waem = Warm

Ais = Ice

Saelz = Salt

Swoz = Sweet

Zoer = Sour

Eifa = Bitter

Ahct = River

Merl = Sea

Wilt = Wild

Berk = Mountain

Hylt = Forest

Rymm = Frost

Sunn = Sun

Keim = Purple

Gryne = Green

Bloe = Blue

Rhot = Red

Fhil = Yellow

Swar = Black

Sylb = Silver

Thosin = Grey

Flaz = Flat

Flekk = Spotted

Swyn = Round

Drink

Bhir = Ale

Cwin = Wine

Tu = Dew

Wyta = Water

So this is the Reo way of saying things?

[Roegadyn Food Names]

So this is the Reo way of saying things?

Not sure what you mean. I said I don't know if Roegadyn would refer to their food in the old tongue, but I was bored and playing around with the dictionary. I started off just putting smoked salmon (my character's favorite) into the Roegadyn language, because I thought I'd use it in RP, but I clearly got carried away. :P By no means am I trying to say that any or all should use these names in RP, but it's there if anyone wants to. /shrug

• 11 months later...

so i have to say it.. this thread is amazing in so many ways ~! <3 I don't have any real input in the topic as my character has more of a taste for dishes from Limsa having lived there so long.

Mijisaa loves foods with bold, rich flavors.  Anything with spice or sourness (that would make others cringe) is up her alley.  She's not big on sweets and she NEVER overindulgences in food.  She also doesn't drink alcohol, she's very disciplined in her habits. Mijisaa is from a wealthy family (and is wealthy herself) so she can't actually cook any of her own food though. Her husband Pipituu is the opposite though in all this. Overindulgence is his game! :D

How did I miss this thread the first time around? :) I love these RP prompts!

L'yhta is a fan of simple foods, well prepared. So, she enjoys a great cup of tea, seared fish, jerky, miqo'bobs (they're a "comfort food" for her), and breads and cheeses. She's not much into vegetables unless they're part of a dish, having an almost Ron Swanson approach to them ("That is not food. That is what my food eats."). Being that she's constantly running around and adventuring, she eats a fair amount, though often in small snacks. She's not a fan of big meals, though that's mostly due to the social elements of them.

Her vices are candied fruits -- which she always keeps on hand for snacking, sun lemon and La Noscean orange slices being her favorites -- and alcohol. She's more into beer and spirits than wine, and she particularly appreciates "strange" drinks, such as stone-brewed beers and botanical spirits. She prefers her drinks on the dry side, but is known to like a good spiced rum now and then.