Changing Citizenship

Reaper

I have a friend who wants to change citizenships from tribal (a miqo'te Keeper who lived on the fringes of Gridanian society) to be a full Ishgardian citizen.

While nationality changes were common in FFXI, there's almost no lore I'm aware of pertaining to citizenship changes, much less Ishgardian citizenship changes. A second friend indicated he didn't believe it would be possible given Ishgard's insular nature. It made me realize how truly little I know about citizenship/nationality changes in general within Eorzea.

I'm just curious, is it at all viable for a miqo'te to properly become an Ishgardian citizen, and if so, is there any in-lore process that would need to be followed to do so?

Furthermore, Ishgard aside, are there any good quotes about the process? I want to know more about the process in general to have as much information as possible on the topic for future use in RP should such a topic ever rise up again.

Edited by Reaper
Adding additional questions.

Let's see... in Gridania you have to hug a tree and get the blessings of the elementals.  In Limsa you have to engage in a drinking contest, on a boat, during a storm.  In Ul'dah you just have to pay bribes a fee.

Jokes aside - this is actually an interesting question. I'm not sure if there is any hard lore on the subject. I do know that in days-past, the Twelves Woods made it very clear if you were not welcome, but since the Calamity the elementals have quieted down a bit. Ul'dah has had troubles with refugees seeking shelter in the city, and doesn't seem to be in any hurry to let them in.

Lore is fairly telling for Gridania, Ul'dah. It's rather nebulous for Limsa, and outright unknown for Ishgard now that it has opened its gated and changed its government and religion to the core.

One thing is sure though, it's certainly different depending on the city state (and yes, in Uld'ah, enough coin can buy you citizenship, or anything, up to a seat in the Syndicate if you're wealthy enough).

On 1/26/2019 at 1:07 AM, Reaper said:

I'm just curious, is it at all viable for a miqo'te to properly become an Ishgardian citizen, and if so, is there any in-lore process that would need to be followed to do so?

Furthermore, Ishgard aside, are there any good quotes about the process? I want to know more about the process in general to have as much information as possible on the topic for future use in RP should such a topic ever rise up again.

Viable, yes. Difficult, likely! Maybe less difficult in the new Republic of Ishgard, but we have absolutely no idea how that process will/would work. Changing your citizenship should theoretically be possible, however, though we don't know the process of how in Ishgard. We know that wards of Noble Houses is more popular in Ishgard, however, and that theoretically might've been a route to citizenship. 

However, this process would've been impossible before the events of Heavensward and the conclusion of the Dragonsong War and the reformation of the Holy See into the new Ishgardian Republic. Ishgard's gates have been closed for the last 14 years since they abandoned the Eorzean Alliance in 1563 of the 6th Astral Era. During those 14 years, no one except the Temple Knights were able to come and go from the city proper freely. But the lands of Coerthas held and protected by the High Houses were still open to the outside and did see a wave of refugees from Ala Mhigo. We don't know if these refugees ever became citizens, however, but they did take up extended residence in Ishgard's many hamlets. 

Soileine: “As you may or may not know, the nation of Ishgard lies far to the north and east of here, down the Furline. Long have her gates been closed to the world, and it seems the irreverence of her knights has fermented within their confines."

The Goodwill Traders: “During the fall of Ala Mhigo, hundreds of refugees were forced to flee their homes, taking only what they could carry and leaving the rest of their possessions behind. Many of those who survived the exodus found refuge in the hamlets of Coerthas and Thanalan, however, were soon faced with poverty, often lacking the coin to buy clothes enough to protect them from the elements. Black Rabbit Traders has heard their cries for help, and has devised a plan to help the Ala Mhigans while ridding the Twelveswood of troublesome poachers in the process. The outfit is hiring adventurers to seek out Humblehearth poachers and slay the criminals, then bring their jerkins back to the Black Rabbit so they can fix them up and sell them to the refugees at a price they can afford.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________

We do have some information on a few of the other city-states, however. Valence is correct though in that the process is different for each nation.

Ul'dah:

In Ul'dah it's citizenship is as easy as paying your way. Though it is unclear who is being paid for the service, however, it is very likely the Order of Nald'thal or one of the Divan who handles the city's census. 

The Mythril Eye - Flames Burn for Talent: "As you are no doubt already aware, it costs a sultan’s ransom for foreigners to acquire Ul'dahn citizenship. Of the Ala Mhigans who have successfully amassed the funds to do so, the vast majority are career soldiers who risked life and limb to earn the privilege."

Gridania:

Gridania is not so cut and dry. First, to be allowed into the Wood for an extended length of time, prospective refugees, residents, and citizens must journey to Quarrymill and be judged by the elementals. However, beyond that, we don't know what additional steps must be taken on the course to citizenship, if there is even a path available. Outsiders are often regarded as outsiders until they prove themselves otherwise (by adopting Gridanian values), but Gridania is slowly changing.

When Rhalgr Met Nophica: "With the influx of refugees from Ala Mhigo, the meteor pays court to the spring leaf and the streets of Quarrymill ring with Highland voices. These martial migrants do the Wailers great honor by pledging themselves as freeswords, and they must be armed to the best of your arts."

Balan: “Refugees must first spend a night here in Quarrymill that the elementals might judge them worthy of living in the Twelveswood. Their decision cannot be appealed. Every one of us, Gridanians included, dwell here only by the elementals’ leave.”

Charline: “You wish to aid the Ala Mhigans? You are possessed of a kind heart, adventurer, but I’m afraid I have not the authority to grant you your wish. This authority belongs only to the elementals, eternal guardians of the Twelveswood. All outsiders, be they babes at the breast or men grown, are judged of a night whether they may have a place beneath the boughs. Alas, the Ala Mhigans’ petition has been denied. Harsh though it may seem, they do not have leave to receive of the wood’s bounty. Ever has it been since time immemorial, and ever shall it be.”

Limsa Lominsa:

Though not expressly mentioned, Lominsan citizenship is likely gained through Mealvaan's Gate. The assessors and customs officials there handle all imports into and out of the city and keep paperwork on all foreign traders who visit Limsa's docks. Though this information is likely shared with Thalassocracy officials in the Coral Tower, I'm sure census records are kept in one of the Gate storerooms as well. 

Haldberk: “Welcome to Mealvaan’s Gate. Hundreds of ships arrive at our docks every year, and to prevent the unlawful import of hazardous materials, we inspect all cargo, crew, and passengers before granting them entry into our fine city. If you arrived via a sea route, then you will have already met one of our upstanding assessors.”

P’tahjha Stah: “Where is Sweetnix with those import records? Without the proper documentation, I am afraid we shall have to expel him from the city… Why, these are Sweetnix’s records! Glad I am to see they were submitted in time. Honestly, you would think that goblin would have lost his fear of our offices by now. Every month he is to submit these papers, and every month his tardiness forces me to consider his removal. As long as one follows proper procedure, Limsa Lominsa is quite welcoming of foreign traders.”

Orn Guincum: "Now as for recruitment policy, Limsa Lominsa has always been a city-state that prides itself on the diversity of its citizenry. The thalassocracy was built on this diversity, and therein lies its strength. The Maelstrom will be no different."

It's not much, but hope this helps!