Displaced Highlander?

My idea is for a Highlander who's still as violent as the rest of them but not from that city that was taken. I'd like to give him a more Scottish style (as I am of Scottish extraction and quite like our idiosyncrasies) but I'd like to have a good lore reason as to why this would be. Any lore reasons why a Highlander might be from a displaced clan and where in the nine hells could he have come from?

Thanks

Plenty of other settlements in Gyr Abania that aren't strictly "Ala Mhigo" or within the city itself, at least. What we see in game is always only a snippet of what the fuller world would entail. 

I've seen others say they were from distant Monk sects that didn't generally leave their temples. And then we do have the more secretive Red Mage quest giver as well. 

You can also have him be from Abalathia's Spine as well. There's Hellsguard Warrior clans there, but there's absolutely nothing stopping you from having your character come from a Highlander clan/village up there as well! It's a big world out there, and your idea is plausible enough to make room for it!

13 hours ago, Moonkhiin Chaghar said:

My idea is for a Highlander who's still as violent as the rest of them but not from that city that was taken. I'd like to give him a more Scottish style (as I am of Scottish extraction and quite like our idiosyncrasies) but I'd like to have a good lore reason as to why this would be. Any lore reasons why a Highlander might be from a displaced clan and where in the nine hells could he have come from?

Fortunately, Hyur are everywhere! In Eorzea, Gyr Abania and Ala Mhigo are generally where we see the largest Highlander populations. But before Anshelm Cotter founded Ala Mhigo in 1135 (442 years ago), Gyr Abania was home to a mess of feuding clans, tribes, and peoples.

Encyclopedia Eorzea - Litany For Survival: "The feuds continued for many long years. On occasion, one clan would win a string of victories, and grow larger by absorbing their defeated foes into their ranks - only to be encircled by a coalition of the remaining tribes, and hammered back down. Following its victory, the loose alliance would then dissolve for lack of a common enemy. This pattern repeated time and again, and the fray showed no signs of abetting.”

This was Gyr Abania for the first thousand years of the Sixth Astral Era. On top of this, they also faced invading clans from Ilsabard, seeing as Gyr Abania was the one road between Eorzea and the northern continent, the region saw battle from all sides by a mix of different tribes. This is eventually what forged Ala Mhigo into the military might it was prior to its fall to the Garlean Empire. Even after the fall, Gyr Abania was still a land interspersed with small villages, temples, and roaming tribes who did not unite themselves into Ala Mhigo's rule or the Empire's. There were also tribes which left and moved north, south, and west. So you could have your Highlander living in the remote reaches of Abalathia's Spine which stretches across the northern border of Eorzea to the Farreach, where the Warrior clans of Hellsguard live. You could also have your character from the Northern Empty or even Sharlayan or Aerslaent, Ilsabard - though this would mean living under the Imperial yolk, or as far away as the deserts of Dalmasca, though again this would mean Imperial rule. Rule of thumb in FFXIV, a Hyur can be from anywhere. 

Edited by Sounsyy