Transgender characters in rp?

peruna

I was wondering; in terms of lore, how friendly is the ffxiv setting to transgender characters? I am sure they exist, but as I know Fantasias are not considered 'lore friendly', then there are really no means by which to transform ones body? I would assume that means that some people would exist in Eorzea that fall under the banner of being transgender?

This is not an erp motivated question, it is a genuine curiosity on whether those types of characters/body types would realistically exist in Eorzea or whether there would be some idealistic utopian alternative to them (such as Fantasia might provide, giving them the body they dreamed of)

On 9/15/2019 at 7:04 PM, peruna said:

I was wondering; in terms of lore, how friendly is the ffxiv setting to transgender characters? I am sure they exist, but as I know Fantasias are not considered 'lore friendly', then there are really no means by which to transform ones body? I would assume that means that some people would exist in Eorzea that fall under the banner of being transgender?

This is not an erp motivated question, it is a genuine curiosity on whether those types of characters/body types would realistically exist in Eorzea or whether there would be some idealistic utopian alternative to them (such as Fantasia might provide, giving them the body they dreamed of)

Ahm.. I would still love an answer to this, but several days have passed since I asked and I am wondering if I did something wrong in asking or if just nobody really knows?

I would love to answer but I have no idea. I'm not sure lore even touched that subject even once...

We sure had our fair amount of silly quests with your usual japanese cross-dressing silly walking tropes (like Trachtoum, etc), but nothing even remotely touching seriously the actual matter of transitioning and gender identities, but maybe I missed some unicorn somewhere.

Edited by Valence

Much as Valence said, there really isn't a lore precedent I can think of that really touches upon anything of that nature. Fantasias are the only thing I can recall that are even remotely similar--and as you said, it's not entirely considered "canon" by some. Otherwise? The only transgender characters I've seen in the setting are other RPers exploring it.

21 minutes ago, Gerel Kha said:

Much as Valence said, there really isn't a lore precedent I can think of that really touches upon anything of that nature. Fantasias are the only thing I can recall that are even remotely similar--and as you said, it's not entirely considered "canon" by some. Otherwise? The only transgender characters I've seen in the setting are other RPers exploring it.

So I guess it would be an acceptable thing to have a trans-bodied character in rp, then? I mean as far as I understand Fantasia are not considered canon, they are a meta-item.

I'd say so, yeah. You're gonna get people who'll disagree, but you'll find that even for people who do RP concepts that're considered "more canon" than others. At the end of the day? Just RP and have fun. You'll find people who'll join in soon enough.

IIRC there was a transgender character in Kugane. I'll have to look up the quest, I remember being particularly surprised at how respectfully it was portrayed (that isn't to say it was the best representation, just that I recall that emotion and thought). Especially given some of the policy in Japan.

Think I know which one you're talking about, and it was more about a guy being attracted to an actor who he at first thought was a woman--but was revealed to be a man who regularly played women. Basically a small homage to the onnagata of Kabuki theater. He did still end up finding the man and his performance incredibly attractive, though, and felt that it didn't matter in the long road--the depth of his passion was enough.

5 hours ago, Gerel Kha said:

Think I know which one you're talking about, and it was more about a guy being attracted to an actor who he at first thought was a woman--but was revealed to be a man who regularly played women. Basically a small homage to the onnagata of Kabuki theater. He did still end up finding the man and his performance incredibly attractive, though, and felt that it didn't matter in the long road--the depth of his passion was enough.

If I recall correctly this was literally the plot of an episode of an anime called Samurai Champloo.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also love to see if there's some more thoughts about this. I made a Lalafell alt, who is technically female but looks very male (short hair, narrow eyes, and full armor), that I think if I played as this character, I would enjoy roleplaying the character as either transman or non-binary if possible, with their gender identity/expression as an important part of their personal story. While it was purely coincidental, I think even the name of my Lalafell might be more the Masculine naming convention as well? Senya Ichiya?

Edited by Kohagura
  • 3 months later...

Please note we are more of a casual rp group and try to keep things lore friendly and fairly open but to chime in on this...

We have a transgender character in our group as well as some who use the Fantasias with side effects so to speak. As far as I see it... they aren't bothering anyone and it works with lore well enough that I'm not going to call anyone out or ruin what they want to do with their character. 

Just enjoy yourself and have fun. *shrug* Find or make a group that you can do this in and build a story or character. ^^