Does this happen often?

So, new to FFXIV RP, but not to RP as a whole. I've recently started trying to get into roleplay a bit on Primal while I wait for my next paycheck to level/story skip an alt on Balmung, with a character I'm pretty confident in but haven't had time to properly flesh out or get a feel for. That aside, recently I was hopping between RP spots advertised in party finder, and while I was in one, someone's RP hook got taken way out of hand. It was pretty simple, x stole y from z, yadda yadda.

Only thing is, it blew up completely, to the point where the people hosting the tavern actually all got up and left the estate, all because of one person refusing to let something go. When it was over, the one person sent me a tell for whatever reason, commenting on my character attitude (not an affront to me, I don't think) but they accused the hosts of metagaming, which I personally didn't see, but it might've gotten lost.

Twenty minutes later, a new listing has popped up on the board, I go check it, and it's the same group that left in a completely different house, same characters, just a different bar/tavern. This immediately turned me off from the area as I didn't want what'd just happened to happen again.

My only question is, do these sorts of things happen often? Like, completely abandoning a setting because someone's stonewalling in an argument? I really want to get into the RP community in this game, but if these things happen often I might not. Sorry if this breaks any of the guidelines, first time posting on here. I tried to keep it as vague as possible, and I'm genuinely curious/worried about this. Does anyone have an answer?

I can't speak for FFXIV RP in general 'cause I haven't dipped in yet, but from my personal experience across multiple MMO RP such groups exist wherever. Doesn't mean the majority of people are like that, but they're present no matter the RP community. It's just a matter of getting  to know who they are and avoid their usual hangout places if being around them makes you uncomfortable, although sometimes it might be unavoidable if your own RP brings you to the same place. Still, I've learned that's the best one can do to avoid unnerving situations.

What you'll find happens sometimes when folks disagree on something is that they'll agree to just not rp and leave it at that. It looks like that's what happened here. These two parties could also work things out later on OOCly, you never know. Sometimes it's best to not worry about things if you weren't directly involved.

It's difficult to tell from the context provided what actually happened but I'll be honest and say disagreements can be common. Whether it be about actual events in RP, how a character reacts to them, actions they take and the perceived 'fairness' of them, lore, etc. What's uncommon is handling them in such a way to where it has a negative impact on an event or story to where it collapses. Generally (hopefully) everyone is mature enough to have mutual respect and find a cordial way to address the situation.

In the end, the situation wasn't directly affecting your character so it should be easy enough to just shrug it off and carry on which is what I suggest here. If you're enjoying RP then keep doing it. Just remember it's okay to communicate OOCly about goings on in RP. Before taking an action that can affect another character a courtesy message about what your character is about to do is generally well received. Just be polite, be respectful and have fun.

I honestly can't say I've seen anything like that happen before in FFXIV in playing since ARR's launch, though I don't doubt it does happen from time to time. Sadly you do run into people who want to RP hooks like that which involve conflict but aren't willing compromise or play fair, but I've never seen the people hosting an event just leave before due to someone causing issues at their event. As mentioned, a lot of the times when two parties come to a disagreement and can't find a solution, one party will decide to just no longer RP with the other as there's little else that can be done.