Trying again, cuz I wants to RP gosh darn it

Is there an official discord for this website by any chance?
I think that might be helpful for me so I can ask questions there. 😮

Anyways, jumping back into the game and wanting to attempt to rp again.
In the process of creating a male lalafell arcanist, so I gots ta look into their lore.
I didn't get far at all before so I didn't give the experience a fair chance.

1 hour ago, Razzle said:

Is there an official discord for this website by any chance?

There is not an official discord for the RPC, but there are a number of large communities for RP on FFXIV. 

I'd recommend:
Crystal Datacenter RP - https://discord.gg/UryRMjz

Balmung Roleplay Network -https://discord.gg/bnBSTeU

Mateus RP Hub - https://discord.gg/mateusrphub

With the whole server visiting thing I'm considering using my main to rp instead of a lalafell alt and just visit the rp server for the data center he's on (which is Aether), but uh...his name is a joke name so it isn't lore compliant.
Does anyone have any tips on naming my fella something more lore related?
And do I need to rename him if I want to rp? x_X

1 hour ago, Razzle said:

With the whole server visiting thing I'm considering using my main to rp instead of a lalafell alt and just visit the rp server for the data center he's on (which is Aether), but uh...his name is a joke name so it isn't lore compliant.

Nobody decent is gonna hassle you over having a non-lore compliant name. It may cause some minor confusion for walkups, and if you have a lore-compliant or public name in mind, I'd recommend sticking that in your search info and introducing your character with their in-character name. But there is absolutely no requirement to have a lore-compliant name. Especially when the naming conventions we do have are all specifically tailored to people living in Eorzea and the world is much, much larger.

23 hours ago, Razzle said:

What race is your character? There are different naming conventions for each race, and SE has guidelines for picking names for each race as well as randomly generated names if you need some help and ideas. :) Your character's name does not necessarily have to be lore-compliant, but I do recommend at least having an RP friendly name to use IC. As Merc mentioned, you don't need to name change or anything, you can just come up with a name for your character to use in RP, though it can cause some confusion (if you do go that route, I recommend putting your character's "nickname" in your search info to help people remember).

So I've given my character an rp name since asking about that, thx!
I'm also reviving my Mateus character, and I notice there is substantially more rp on that server instead in terms of people flagging themselves as rp in character search.
However, I'm used to walk-up rp like in World of Warcraft when in a place full of roleplayers, and I'm unsure if this is an acceptable method in FFXIV?
I'll just stand in The Quicksand in Ul'dah and see all these people chatting, but don't see any chance of joining in without possibly being intrusive...

Walk-up RP is very much open in FFXIV as well as it was in WoW. You can right-click and Examine any RP player and you'll see a small speech bubble you can hover over in the upper left corner of the equipment screen for the other character. That usually has a brief list or even a Carrd URL on it for RP preferences and protocol. Generally, if they're RP'ing out in the open, it's open game for anyone else to dive into, so don't sweat the details too much! 

Anyone RPing in a public space, with their RP tag on, or with "walks-up welcome" "W/U" etc. in their search info is typically open to others joining them for RP. :) Worst case scenario, they'll let you know it's something private or that they're not RPing at the moment.