Balmung or Gilgamesh?

Which server is going to be your main?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Which server is going to be your main?

• Balmung
    • Gilgamesh

We've formed a small Free Company of players coming from GW2, and we're trying to decide where to settle.  I'm curious how many people are going where, how many companies are established, or going to be established and such.  Basically trying to figure out where a new company can best be established.  Balmung seems a logical choice, but if there are going to be a number of new players looking for a company, perhaps Gilgamesh would be the better choice.

...just looking for some guidance here... :frustrated:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm Balmung-in' it up, mostly because that's where my legacy characters are. I'm already splitting my time between one RP server and a non-RP server (Midgardsormr, with my old FFXI crew) so trying to do both RP servers AND Midgard just isn't going to happen.

I think in either case there will be a good collection of unaffiliated players to sweep up into your FC, but if you primarily want new characters then you should probably go to Gilgamesh as technically everyone will be new there, even previously established ones. ;)

Ah, I was thinking about making this poll myself! You beat me to it, you...you...quick thinker, you!

As for the question at hand...I'm still unsure. Perhaps the poll results will sway me one way over another.

Of course I'll be sticking with Balmung. Besides the fact that my legacy characters are there, it really doesn't make sense to me to split up an already-small RP community. 

If there are players who only care about gameplay first and really have issues with legacy servers, sure, they can go to Gilgamesh, but they relinquish their right to complain about a lack of RP activity when they do so.

I'm gonna have to stick to Balmung, but that's because that's the server the Linkshell I'm in is on (as well as one I'll be joining in the future). That aside, I like the rp activity of Balmung and, especially for me, rping is what's going to keep the game from going dry for me. All of the events SE are supposed to run will help, but I know I'll find myself logging back on again and again because I want to rp with people I'll consider friends.

Of course I'll be sticking with Balmung. Besides the fact that my legacy characters are there, it really doesn't make sense to me to split up an already-small RP community. 

If there are players who only care about gameplay first and really have issues with legacy servers, sure, they can go to Gilgamesh, but they relinquish their right to complain about a lack of RP activity when they do so.

As long as rpers take on the fact that they will be responsible for initiating their own rp they will be just fine on Gilgamesh.

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I can assure you that they will be able to find rp just fine on Gilgamesh by launch.

Even though I played 1.0, I didn't get that far or super involved in the community at that time. However, for ARR, and even though I'm going to roll a new character, I'm still planning to stick to Balmung (barring an official RP server is released). I actually appreciate its RP history and I think it will likely have a higher role-player population.

This! (No disrespect to those going to Gilgamesh as I hope things work out for you. I am just bitter that I won't get a chance to continue to RP with some of you who I have met before and those who I have not RPed with yet.)

Of course Balmung is the most logical choice as most of the RPC will be there, including a bunch of new people and not just Legacy members. Not to mention the coolest person from GW2....

<----------------- HIIIINNNNTTTT!!

I am actually glad a decent amount of people from GW2 are coming over because that was actually such a lovely community, but there was just nothing in the game to actually do outside of RP (unless you wanted to PvP endlessly).

I'll just point out that both Balmung and Gilgamesh are supposed to be pointed out as most likely to have a high population of RPers, as far as we know.

Saying that one is going to be better than the other is just not right, as both should be promoted.

It's not a contest, just a question.

I'll just point out that both Balmung and Gilgamesh are supposed to be pointed out as most likely to have a high population of RPers, as far as we know.

Saying that one is going to be better than the other is just not right, as both should be promoted.

It's not a contest, just a question.

Honestly thank you for mentioning this

Not to mention the coolest person from GW2....

<----------------- HIIIINNNNTTTT!!

I am actually glad a decent amount of people from GW2 are coming over because that was actually such a lovely community, but there was just nothing in the game to actually do outside of RP (unless you wanted to PvP endlessly).

No need to drop hints, you're flattering me... :D

We were leaning Balmung, but this thread seems to be reinforcing that.  I just need to check with our members before making an official announcement and putting up a post in the Linkshell forum.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming!

More GW2 people? Cool cool! I'm still planning to play there while doing FF stuff but I'm glad to see some people coming over.

As for the servers, I'm completely new to FF and I'll be on Balmung! I'm not realy in a position to recommend one or the other though since, like I said, I'm pretty new.

I am gonna go Balmung at the start and see where I go from there. I'll probably dip a toe or so over at Gilgamesh and maybe Behemoth. Also, I am a bit curious to try out a Japanese server, but I am not too fluent in Japanese and expect some hard times and perhaps me running/screaming from the server. I sorta have my eye on Masamune.

Although, I do notice some folks with Japanese-names and typing Japanese on Balmung (and probably elsewhere). I just have a feeling they are just as curious as I am. Or maybe they are not Japanese and are just using the font/names: Doesn't matter! I be going exploring!

:bomb:

Although, I do notice some folks with Japanese-names and typing Japanese on Balmung (and probably elsewhere). I just have a feeling they are just as curious as I am. Or maybe they are not Japanese and are just using the font/names: Doesn't matter! I be going exploring!

Most are probably old players. They were quite a few Japanese players in Besaid.

All I can say is that for those considering Gilgamesh we definitely need more to help with building the roleplay foundation of the community. It won't be easy, we are considered to be the secondary server choice but I think it can be done and we can really watch the server grow and turn into something great. Proactivity will be the name of the day for Gilgamesh, and we would love to have anyone who is interested in helping the server grow really help provide a solid foundation!

Well, there wouldn't even be a need for this discussion if SE would just *set* a server as an RP server... >.>

Well, then they'd have to make a Legacy and non Legacy RP server to make people happy and we'd still be in this position. 

Well, then they'd have to make a Legacy and non Legacy RP server to make people happy and we'd still be in this position. 

Not gonna lie, this whole thing is making me sick.

SE should drop the "non-legacy" idea entirely. It's not like there's going to be any shortage of new players to fill in every server, and it's not even like every legacy player is a level 50 carting around millions of gil. 

If they're really that concerned about the economy or somesuch they can just cut everyone's current gil by 90% or whatever value would make people happiest, but splitting the community like this is... frankly, sickening. It shouldn't be happening.

Not just here, mind you, but across the entire community there's talk of people splitting up and going one way or the other, and that should never happen. There are so many games out there that never do an economy reset or open new servers, so why is it such a big deal here? It's incredibly frustrating. 

I feel like this whole "legacy vs. non-legacy" junk is going to do a lot more harm than good.