Balmung or Gilgamesh?

Which server is going to be your main?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Which server is going to be your main?

• Balmung
    • Gilgamesh

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again with the 'Primary' and 'Secondary'.

I thought it was decided they'd be labeled as 'Legacy' and 'Non-Legacy'.

Legacy and Non-Legacy are labels that SE uses. We've designated these servers as primary and secondary from the very beginning when we announced that we were going to hold a poll to choose the secondary server.

This.

For the love of everything holy I'm still not sure why this thread (of all the back and forths) is still open. No offense to the thread starter by any means, but it was to gauge where to place their FC.

New people can roll on legacy servers just as easily as anyone can go to a non-legacy server. The only restriction is that legacy characters (imported from 1.0) can't be moved from a legacy server.

We're all still one RP community, regardless of server choice.

Legacy and Non-Legacy are labels that SE uses. We've designated these servers as primary and secondary from the very beginning when we announced that we were going to hold a poll to choose the secondary server.

Fair enough. Alothia's very well written "Welcome to the RPC" post on the frontpage though seems to label the servers as "Legacy" and "Non-Legacy" though. Might cause some confusion.

I don't know, I just feel as someone who's trying to start up the MUCH smaller Gilgamesh community, that these derogatory server designations [ Literally feeling like a SECOND class citizen ], only hurts what we're trying to grow into something great.

Might just be me though.

Kinda a side topic to this, but I wonder if we should/could get an additional line added to the information under our avatars to the left for the server we play on.

IE

Linkshell: None / Seeking

Sever: Balmung   <--------

I just really hope this site continues to emphasize that Balmung is the primary RP server and that Gilgamesh is the secondary RP server.

As someone coming over fresh from GW2, the recent front page post definitely does not give that impression. If I were to look at that without having previously read the forums here, I would presume that Gilgamesh is where I should be creating my character because I'm not legacy.

That's just plain not smart. The RP community is small enough as it is, and a strong effort to pull new roleplayers to Balmung despite the legacy stigma should be made and made repeatedly. Even googling "what is the unofficial ffxiv rp server" gives no clear answers to a new, non-legacy players. This is really an appalling state of affairs in my opinion and every attempt should be made to remedy it.

Thank you.

They are NOT Legacy and non-Legacy RP servers. That was NOT the intent.

The intent was to label a non-Legacy server for people who did not want to join Balmung due to it being Legacy. Balmung is the unofficial RP server of the RPC. We encourage new people to join Balmung. Gilgamesh is where those who do not want to join a Legacy server due to whatever reason can congregate for RP.

Unfortunately the Welcome posts in my opinion (which has been noted and promptly disregarded) have created an unnecessary amount of confusion by not spelling the above out clearly for new RPers.

In the interest of community cohesion, Balmung will remain the primary server (again, barring mitigating circumstances) and we will continue to recommend it to those who prefer to be where the largest gathering of roleplayers are, but for those who— for whatever reason— do not wish to join a legacy server, we will recommend the secondary non-Legacy server.

The RPC resources will still be available to all communities on all servers as it has always been, but we cannot be expected to maintain a separate event subforum for every one of them.

Further clarification. :)

Silly me. I just tried to make our communities be seen as equals.

I should remember that we really aren't.

"All animals are equal,but some animals are more equal than others."

Thanks for the clarification.

There's only one community, that is, the RP community, and that is what I support. To keep the RP community strong, I hope to keep us as unified as possible. And to do that I don't want to confuse the new RPers with legacy/non-legacy drama that doesn't make sense to most of them anyway, as most value RP and community higher than server firsts, building an economy, and achievements.

Calling Balmung the primary RP server is just stating a fact. That's what it is. Gilgamesh was named secondary server by demand due to a subset of players who did not want to join the larger community on Balmung. I'm sure there will be others like that, but accidentally convincing new players into joining Gilgamesh because they think all new players are going there as it is non-legacy due to lack of this clarification is wrong.

I really don't know why I continue to read this thread. All it does is stress me out (I get stressed for reasons that don't really effect me). But here we go. Can we please just stop? I pray that SE labels a server as "RP" so we can put this issue in a fucking sack, tie cinder blocks to its feet, and throw it in the fucking river. Really. Some of you are taking the "primary/secondary vs. Legacy/Non-Legacy" way wrong.  No one is labeling you as a "second class citizen" but yourself. "Primary/secondary" are terms that indicate degrees of entanglement and involvement. So, yes, the majority of the community is involved in Balmung, making it the Primary. If you take offense to this, I'm sorry. I don't want to kick the beehive anymore. In fact, I beg that the staff locks this thread before it gets even more out of hand.

Yes. One Roleplay community. I understand all that, and as noble as that sounds the ways you seem to try to go about this is by:

Making the opposition to your single server look as unattractive as possible and hope that it just disappears under the weight of obscurity. That way everyone hops ship to Balmung for Roleplay, right?

I may sound overly pessimistic, but to a good number of people putting A LOT of effort into advertising the RPC to bring new members in, while trying to help Gilgamesh grow into the strong, community backed server Balmung is... it's how it seems.

All we want is to be seen as equals. That's all.

I just really hope this site continues to emphasize that Balmung is the primary RP server and that Gilgamesh is the secondary RP server.

As someone coming over fresh from GW2, the recent front page post definitely does not give that impression. If I were to look at that without having previously read the forums here, I would presume that Gilgamesh is where I should be creating my character because I'm not legacy.

That's just plain not smart. The RP community is small enough as it is, and a strong effort to pull new roleplayers to Balmung despite the legacy stigma should be made and made repeatedly. Even googling "what is the unofficial ffxiv rp server" gives no clear answers to a new, non-legacy players. This is really an appalling state of affairs in my opinion and every attempt should be made to remedy it.

Thank you.

The intent was to label a non-Legacy server for people who did not want to join Balmung due to it being Legacy. Balmung is the unofficial RP server of the RPC. We encourage new people to join Balmung. Gilgamesh is where those who do not want to join a Legacy server due to whatever reason can congregate for RP.

Unfortunately the Welcome posts in my opinion (which has been noted and promptly disregarded) have created an unnecessary amount of confusion by not spelling the above out clearly for new RPers.

This is what the welcome message says. Sentences like:

That doesn't mean that you can't start something new there too! Fresh RP is always welcomed here as well...

ARE in the Balmung section of the welcome thread. Perhaps the issue is people's different definition of "Legacy" versus "Non-Legacy." Perhaps the words should be changed. or further explained out so that others' definition matches our intended one.

Kinda a side topic to this, but I wonder if we should/could get an additional line added to the information under our avatars to the left for the server we play on.

IE

So, I'm gonna skip all the main debate here and quote this. I like this idea, it helps people know whether they'll see X or Y person ingame or nor a lot easier.

Thank you.

This is what the welcome message says. Sentences like:

That doesn't mean that you can't start something new there too! Fresh RP is always welcomed here as well...

ARE in the Balmung section of the welcome thread. Perhaps the issue is people's different definition of "Legacy" versus "Non-Legacy." Perhaps the words should be changed. or further explained out so that others' definition matches our intended one.

The welcome thread is not clear enough. Period. It has caused a lot of confusion with a lot of players.

Yes. One Roleplay community. I understand all that, and as noble as that sounds the ways you seem to try to go about this is by:

Making the opposition to your single server look as unattractive as possible and hope that it just disappears under the weight of obscurity. That way everyone hops ship to Balmung for Roleplay, right?

I may sound overly pessimistic, but to a good number of people putting A LOT of effort into advertising the RPC to bring new members in, while trying to help Gilgamesh grow into the strong, community backed server Balmung is... it's how it seems.

All we want is to be seen as equals. That's all.

That wasn't the purpose of the secondary server though. Most of us know that in order to keep the RP community strong, diluting it throughout multiple servers won't help. So promoting both servers equally is totally counterproductive to that. I'm not making Gilgamesh look unattractive, I would never slander it or spread lies about it, but it should only attract the people for which it was labeled the secondary server: those who are unwilling to join Balmung due to it being Legacy.

IE

So, I'm gonna skip all the main debate here and quote this. I like this idea, it helps people know whether they'll see X or Y person ingame or nor a lot easier.

Tossed in Mod forum. :3

I likely will add the server line to the little profile/sidebar there, as it's very easy to do so and I was already considering it. Done

This thread has become very off topic from the OP's original intent, and I will thus be locking it.

Furthermore, I urge people to step back and breath a bit. This server issue is still a very contentious issue for a lot of people. We don't need to keep bringing it up over and over and over again. All sides have already been heard a million times now for the last couple months. Arguing about it non-stop does nothing. Absolutely nothing. We all know where everyone stands. It's no secret. I fear that until phase 4 gets here (which could still be upwards of 2-3 weeks away for all we know), this issue can only get worse. Though I foresee it becoming less problematic post-phase 4. So until then, I ask that everyone refrain from these repeated 'debates.'