Balmung or Gilgamesh?

Which server is going to be your main?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Which server is going to be your main?

• Balmung
    • Gilgamesh

I'm looking at Balmung, but you already know that Xerek. ;-)

For me, having an established RP community is not intimidating as much as exciting. I am -very- tired of trying to start from square one and trying to find RP. Been there, done that... I just want to find like-minded creative folks and have fun RPing, adventuring IC and making epic stories that make me EXCITED to log in to the game, and sad when I must log off or go to work.

Now, will I get wrapped up in said RP? I dunno... I hope so, but in the end, it all depends on how my character resonates with everyone else's. Might not work out... might. Either way, I want to give it a shot.

That said... I am NOT in any way suggesting that the RPers of Gilgamesh would not be entirely capable of creating RP that would make me feel this way. It is entirely possible that they would. But what I -am- saying is... well... I miss RP. And if I can hedge my bets on encountering it in its most mature (aka established), developed, articulate, lore-enriched form, I'm going to take it.

No slam on Gilgamesh RPers. But if most are admittedly new to the game and so on, then... well logically they would have less lore & game knowledge.

And I *nom* on lore like a kitty does catnip.

But my overall preference would be a dedicated RP server for everyone... just put us all together and make RP magic. *shrug*

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like this whole "legacy vs. non-legacy" junk is going to do a lot more harm than good.

As a 1.0 who's "legacy" character is level 3 and broke...

Agreed. I'm gonna be playing on a legacy server because that's where the community is based and because I want the option to see whatever differences are there for legacy characters in NPC reactions. 

In 3-4 months max I'd think the economies will have balanced out anyway. In 6 or so   legacy players will be allowed to transfer to non-legacy servers at which point if the economies haven't balanced out, those who want to take advantage of their maxed out cash will be able to transfer and unbalance the rest of the server economies. Again, same situation. 

Personally, I wish they had just given the option to port over level 1 versions of your character with some sort of game non-effecting bennies (tattoos, NPC reactions, some extra quest line with special cosmetic gear...) and kept it that way. *shrug*

But, that's not the decision reached. So here we are.

I have a legacy account, but I barely played the game in 1.0 and certainly didn't RP at all. I only paid for legacy so I could have my name in the credits and a discount on the sub. 

Rakka'li will be a fresh new character on Balmung.

As a 1.0 who's "legacy" character is level 3 and broke...

Also to point out to all, I am also an effectively low-levelled, poor Legacy character who has no ties and no previous RP with anyone on this site or Beta Forums in regards to this game.

Even so, I plan to be on Balmung.

I may alt on Gilgamesh, as well, sooner or later. We'll see.

I got my own character's take on his history. I didn't care if I got my name in the credits: I just wanted to support S-E because they've shown such character during this reboot...and the discount and Chocobo doesn't hurt (Well, I haven't seen it yet, not having a whistle, but hopefully it is waiting for me...)

So, even if I am coming in "cold" into an already established Balmung (whose players have asked for new blood, as any RPer would), I don't foresee any difficulties, either clique or Economy-wise or even personal-character-story-wise.

:ahriman::!:

I didn't care if I got my name in the credits: I just wanted to support S-E because they've shown such character during this reboot...and the discount and Chocobo doesn't hurt (Well, I haven't seen it yet, not having a whistle, but hopefully it is waiting for me...)

:ahriman::!:

Hehehe. I'm not even a legacy player, just a 1.0 character. ;)

That means that I should get the alternate 'survivor' stuff but no discount or fancy choco :)

The initial game was horribly broken. I'm glad it improved so much, but by then I was busy with other things irl like 2 departmental changes at work (both promotions happily), homeschooling my daughter through a remote learning school district for a year because her local school is so bad and then making sure she got into a better school and finally a magnet program for a still better school, and all of life's other little emergencies. So I missed legacy. Not happy with how the program was handled all in all but not so upset that it really bothers me and I'll enjoy the hell out of ARR and consider it awesome that I don't have to repurchase it. 

Of course, if I had a maxed out character I'd honestly be raging at SE to let me delevel it to zero so I could play the new game (because really, it's a new game at this point) fresh and as it was meant to be experienced. That's just me though, and I completely understand the flip side of the coin. I also know that the economy honestly doesn't matter in FFXIV: ARR in the way that it mattered in either FFXI or FFXIV 1.0. Quest drops honestly work. It will require some inventory management, but for the most part if I watch my quest usage and keep a level 1 basic set of gear I should be good to do all classes at a slightly sub-optimal gearing without the player economy if needed.

[align=center]400x300http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a287/Xeres-Ajani/HATE.jpg[/img][/align]

Gil wise, I don't see what the problem is for new players. Everyone's gil from 1.x has been slashed DRAMATICALLY. Those with characters coming back have one tenth of our original funds. Also, there will be many MANY more gil sinks now. There wasn't so many in 1.x Housing, something that won't be a major factor in the game will be pricey. I am also sure there will be many MANY more gil sinks in 2.0 as well.

Gear wise, unless you want dated gear which is stat-less or the White Ravens, you aren't missing out on anything there. There are so many NEW pieces that we're all (everyone, legacy and non) excited to get our mitts on them.

So, either way, I wish the best of luck to those who choose to start on Gilgamesh. Just please do it because you want to start there, not because of endgame reasons. Endgame will always change and get easier as the game progresses. Endgame is not always RP. Endgame is content grinding.

That is all.

Balmung is where the community is. It's kind of as simple as that.

Admittedly, the only thing I "don't like" about the idea of rolling up on Balmung is that people will be a much higher level than me from the start. My new character will be catching up to others in the community. That's purely a PvE (and possibly PvP) concern though, I suppose, and in time it probably won't matter. Both servers will no doubt have a notable non-roleplayer population.

In terms of the economy, I've seen how easy it is to get gil in the beta, and a taste of how many gil sinks there are. I'm not too worried about the economy.

I think people who are interested in remaining on Balmung aren't even interested in their characters, because they can remake them now with new customization options anywhere else and, level and gil aside, be in the same situation at launch.

Folks would be silly not to play through all the new content from the start of ARR anyway, and I'm sure many of them will.

I feel like the appeal of Balmung is most that that was the RP server before and there aren't many good reasons for old players to stray. Up until Gilgamesh and Behemoth were named as alternates, it was where all the roleplay had established itself. If SE had allowed non-Legacy people to roll on Balmung in the beta from the start, I wonder if things would have been different now...

In any case, if you discount the numbers of those saying they'll be on one server or the other, the only good reason to pick one server over the other is if you have friends going to one or the other. That's how it seems to me, anyway.

I really didn't want to post in this thread, but I wanted to clarify one thing:

Admittedly, the only thing I "don't like" about the idea of rolling up on Balmung is that people will be a much higher level than me from the start. My new character will be catching up to others in the community.

Since XIV 1.x had, at most, maybe 60k players, while 2.x beta has over 900k at last report, I think it's safe to say that new characters on Balmung will dramatically outnumber old ones. Also, apparently less than 5% of XIV characters had a single job at 50 (although it's safe to say many of those 60k did), so they'll still need to level.

Plus, the old ones with everything at 50 will still have Arcanist to pick up.

So, I wouldn't be worried about not having people naturally at your level to play with. Just looking at this thread, you see more people with very low level legacy characters or new characters rolling on Balmung (*waves* me too!) than who have a bunch of 50s.

...the only good reason to pick one server over the other is if you have friends going to one or the other. That's how it seems to me, anyway.

Bingo.

Admittedly, the only thing I "don't like" about the idea of rolling up on Balmung is that people will be a much higher level than me from the start. My new character will be catching up to others in the community. That's purely a PvE (and possibly PvP) concern though, I suppose, and in time it probably won't matter. Both servers will no doubt have a notable non-roleplayer population.

There are actually quite a few people from 1.0 that are starting over with a new character. Also not all people from 1.0 got to 50. I only got to 20. So I think there will be a mix of new and old players leveling from the start.

Well, I barely got out of the starting gate with XIV, and I think all of my friends in our free company are totally new to the game, so there are actually going to be a good number of new players to mix in with the vets.

I don't speak for anyone but myself, but I'll be on Balmung. Since the original warriors of light are supposed to be part of the story, it would feel a bit odd if they weren't around.

That is a very good point that never crossed my mind. I believe my decision has been made. Onward, to Balmung! (I pray for all of you there, maybe my coming will populate Gilgamesh a tad more :lol:).

I'm just going to say that, while I harbor no resentment toward Gilgamesh and wish them the best of luck, I'm new to this game and this community and I'm going to Balmung. I've already found a handful of roleplayers who have made me feel more than welcome in their group, and I don't see joining a legacy server causing any more problems than starting any other game a few months after it's been launched. To me, there was never any issue about this. Good luck to the Gilgamesh players, and I hope to interact with the rest of Balmung's RP community soon.

That is a very good point that never crossed my mind. I believe my decision has been made. Onward, to Balmung! (I pray for all of you there, maybe my coming will populate Gilgamesh a tad more :lol:).

KAp9sFVdERQ

;)

:ahriman::chocobo:

Going where the RP is. (Balmung)

Concerns over Legacy servers will not be relevant in a few months, so I wouldn't make a decision that would lessen the RP I have access to for years based on something that will affect my leveling and PvE experience for a relatively short amount of time.

I don't speak for anyone but myself, but I'll be on Balmung. Since the original warriors of light are supposed to be part of the story, it would feel a bit odd if they weren't around.

After playing around a bit on my 1.0 character I've been given the impression that this doesn't really matter since no one remembers who they were, which means from a lore standpoint no one really remembers what happened at the Battle of Carteneau let alone who fought in it. In other words, the Warriors of Light are just legends, even to the Warriors of Light.

one other thing to consider...

Even if there is a Legacy member that is L60, he/she will undoubtedly want to play the game and experience the new stuff. So they will be around the lowbie areas to play with...

... and not be L60. They will be knocked down to the level appropriate for that area, yes? 

But if not, definitely if you group with them for some RPvE.

Soooo..... the level disparity is really not that big a deal either.

What it boils down for me is this:

FFXIV:ARR will be a NEW game. It won't be FFXIV 1.0. The vets will want to play it all, so no one will really have a true "leg up" on the newcomers- save in lore and history stuff. Which... I think is more cool and good than bad. Sure, some of it will be VERY familiar... but most will not.

I don't see newcomers being lonely (not only because we will be the most populous folks on the server) because I suspect all areas of the game will be busy.

What amuses me most is... worrying about folks not being around to fight with in newbie zones... when the REAL issue is on the Dev side. Instead of breaking out a new game where everyone is at L1- and thus ALL players will be coming from the newbie zones (giving them *some* time to polish off end-game for those that get a thrill out of 'beating' the game in a week or less)- SE will be dropping a game out that is expected to be AWESOME from L1 clear to L60. No buffer for SE. There WILL be Legacies that are L60 that will want to play the hard stuff immediately.

Of course they won't have the GEAR to do so... so that would give SE a bit of time... but still...

And chances are, most will not be RPers. But some might be.

So... Square Enix will undoubtedly have their game on and expect this...

Aka... every bit of FFXIV will have action.

:)