Seasonal Storytelling Circles - feedback?

Eva

For those who may not have been there, throughout 1.0 I often hosted "storytelling circle" events that were originally done within the first couple of LS's to which I belonged, but then later I made them into kind of a seasonal event for the RP public. These have had widely varying results in terms of attendance and participation but for the most part I've considered them to be somewhat successful. I kind of just wanted to solicit feedback from the community.

For starters, this has been done - and will continue to be done - independent of any LS association. This was never an Everwatch thing, and it won't be a Crystalline thing. If you want to call it an 'Eva thing', that's fine I suppose. But it's been open to all and not sponsored by any one group or any such thing. That part was always important to me, as I've belonged to three or four LS's throughout the time these have happened, and generally they have been a lot of fun and open up avenues for additional RP.

There is some expectation that people be willing to share a story though, and there was one of these held some time back that actually had a good turnout but nobody had really prepared any sort of story and very few were willing to kind of share one off the cuff. So that was a little awkward.

What generally happens, I think, is that a dozen or two RPers come out and form little groups and talk IC in their parties quietly as people one by one volunteer to tell a story - it could be about themself or family, or poetry, or something completely made up. And the /say channel is usually kept pretty quiet out of respect. In the past these were held at the Amphitheatre in Gridania since it was situated out of the way, but I think we're going to have to find a new location - not that there's any lack of options~

I guess I'm wondering a few things:

1. Is this something I should keep up with in ARR? I'd like to, but only if there is an interest for it.

2. Is seasonal good enough? If it's too often I could change it to happen twice a year - possibly in the springtime and autumn.

3. Is it something that a lot of folks would also be willing to participate in (i.e. telling a story if called upon if no one volunteers)?

Mostly I'm trying to get a feel for this as I'd really like to arrange one for the very near future.

Thanks you in advance for any and all feedback!! :thumbsup:

I'd be willing to participate in a telling once every two months or so.

Would the seasons provide the Theme for a given event? most of my works are short stories or bits of poetry so I don't see much problem making them to fit the event.

This overall sounds very interesting, was there any area you had in mind for hosting the event? Maybe a wandering event that changes with each season? (Gridania in spring, Limsa in summer, Ul'dah in fall?)

Hope to hear more.

Though I wasn't a part of 1.0, this sounds like quite an enjoyable scenario to partake in.  You could get all sorts of stories through the players, depending on how in depth they have gotten involved in their character.  I can totally see some tall tales happening, giving the quieter folk colorful ideas of grandeur.

I would totally support this if I ever stumbled upon it, and would even try to help spur along the festivity.

I think this sounds awesome! Like seriously. I personally am a sucker for poetry and stories in general, which I'm sure will come out in my character if given the chance. He doesn't really have many epic stories though, so he'd probably just contribute poems. Regardless, this is an amazing idea, and I would definitely try to attend!

I helped set up and proliferate regular storytelling events in WoW and TERA, as well as attended a few in Aion and Rift, and enjoyed them very much, so I would wholly support seeing such a thing in ARR.

I think the amphitheatre in Gridania would be an excellent location, to be honest, but then I am not one to shy away from roleplaying out in the open. Not really a fan of hiding in holes.

I helped set up and proliferate regular storytelling events in WoW and TERA, as well as attended a few in Aion and Rift, and enjoyed them very much, so I would wholly support seeing such a thing in ARR.

I think the amphitheatre in Gridania would be an excellent location, to be honest, but then I am not one to shy away from roleplaying out in the open. Not really a fan of hiding in holes.

I think the problem with the ampitheatre now is the fact that there is a "newbie" quest there so a lot of random players would be in and out of the area and could end up being a tad distracting for some people?

This sounds like it would be a lot of fun. I would love to be apart of this. :D I don't think seasonal sounds like to often at all. If you need help with any set up or other details I would also be more then happy to lend a hand.

I've always liked these events, albeit in moderation; many player-run taverns in WoW would obsessively do "story nights," which essentially killed all spontaneous RP there (because no one wants to interrupt the storytellers IC or OOC). Seasonal sounds about right for how often these events should run, IMO.

As for volunteering, well, I pretty much suck at writing stories for this format, so I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to help in that regard. I can bring a warm body, though. :)

I think the problem with the ampitheatre now is the fact that there is a "newbie" quest there so a lot of random players would be in and out of the area and could end up being a tad distracting for some people?

To me, that actually makes it the ideal place. New players coming through, getting to hear awesome stories? Potential new RPer generation right there!

And yes, great idea. Do it.

I'm glad to see all the enthusiasm!  Once Phase 4 scheduling is announced I'll definitely see about scheduling something - perhaps the weekend before or weekend after the gala, depending on the duration of the beta window.  ;-)

To me, that actually makes it the ideal place.  New players coming through, getting to hear awesome stories?  Potential new RPer generation right there!

There might be some merit to having it in a location where new folk are completing quests.  I've personally always preferred out-of-the-way places because they're less inclined to attract griefers that disrupt the flow of the event and contribute towards wrecking a sense of immersion.  Conversely, I've known a handful of folk that didn't really know what RP was but loved the idea and wound up joining, and that's certainly a boon to the whole community when that happens!

So it's a risk.  But the baddies can be blacklisted (or usually go away once they realize they're not being acknowledged... usually).  So I'd be willing to consider the new amphitheatre, or perhaps even some other location that is along a lowbie quest route but still somewhat off the beaten path.  I'll scout around a bit when we're up and running again and see if I can find anything good, or if anyone has some good ideas I'm all ears - feel free to PM me!

There's a few locations in Thanalan that are off the beaten path so to speak.  I think there's atleast 2 tavern's during your questline's.  Coffin and Coffer and another one at a different Camp.  Though depending on how many people would be participating Coffin and Coffer would get pretty stuffy pretty quick for the size of the location.

I would love to attend something like this! It sounds like it can be fun. This would be a Balmung event right? I hope it's held some place I can safely get to with a lowbie character.

I don't know if I'd have the courage to share a story to a group of people though.. so I probably won't be able to contribute. =T

I love this idea! I'm up for any event that manages to reunite a lot of characters together. Truth be told, I doubt my main character would (initially) want to tell any kind of story to anyone, but I hope she can still attend the event as an spectator.

This would be a Balmung event right?

Oh yes, I probably should have specified such, but this will be Balmung.  But it would be swell if a group gathered on Gilgamesh at some point to hold a similar sort of storytelling event, assuming folks playing on that server were so inclined.

Also since there seem to be a number of RPers who are interested in attending but not actively participating, that's normally fine.  I think most of these events have been good for usually about 7-10 stories before folks started getting tired and going off their own way.  The problems arise when there's only one or two who have stories planned, but in the past what we've done in such instances was have a "Story-Go-Round" where everyone forms a circle and someone leads off with a sentence or two and then the next person picks it up with a sentence or two, etc, etc, and it goes full circle once or twice (or three times or more if it's a good story).  It's usually good silly fun and everyone gets to be a part of it (except for the one or two who are inevitably AFK lol).  But generally speaking, I prefer it when there are a handful of people who have some sort of story prepared, or who are able to tell a story off the cuff.

I'm looking forward to this too now, though!  :bouncy:

EDIT TO ADD: I also really like the idea of keeping it seasonal and changing around the location each time. Maybe Ul'dah/Thanalan in winter, Gridania/Shroud in spring, LimsaLominsa/LaNoscea in summer, and Owl's Nest in autumn. Or something like that. Good thinking! :thumbsup: