Rate the person above you's name

There has been some discussion on this forum about naming conventions and how immersive they can be.

Personally I think they're a great tool/template to use and I'll definitely be drawn to players that have used them (not that I'll avoid those of you who don't! :P)

Just as a means for reference, the published naming conventions can be found in the stickies here

So, rate the person above you's name. [1-10] Tell us what you like about it, or don't like about it. What sort of image does it put across to you, what type of person do you think it belongs to?

To be specific we're talking about CHARACTER NAME, not their username

Also; be nice. My mama learned me not to be mean to others.

My character's name is Khusrael Keimerlwyn - next poster, don't be too brutal!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd give it about a 6. I really like the first name, but the surname is a bit of a mouthful, almost on purpose (from what I can tell anyway). And something about using "wyn" in names always irks me.

My character's name is Beatric Reid. Come at me, yo.

Beatric Reid, huh? I'd say...a 7. I like the name, but it doesn't really fit a Roegadyn. Especially with how ridiculous Sea Wolves names' can get, I feel like it lack originality.

My character's name is W'shizu Ayana

Go easy!

I'd give it about a 6. I really like the first name, but the surname is a bit of a mouthful, almost on purpose (from what I can tell anyway). And something about using "wyn" in names always irks me.

I would give it a five. It feels like a race lore based name, but it isn't(for the first name). While the second name is much easier to say than one built from lore, it does deviate from the lore. Over all I like the sound of the name, but it does lack any real attachment to lore (at least that I could find, feel free to prove me wrong, i would love that, really). (if I missed a link to lore then I would have to rate it more like a 7)

Edit: I was beaten to the punch so,

Shizu! Your name looks perfectly fit to the lore. though I would have to give it more of an 8 because the W causes the first name to stumble off the tongue rather than flow. Although that could be seen as a good thing, since other races are meant to have a hard time pronouncing Miqo'te words/names. (also the last name may be one sylable too long for a Male miqo name (the name of the one who sired her) but it still sounds good)

My character is: Rogier LeCard (Róg-ï-ér Lè-cärd)

What do you think?

9/10 I love lalafell naming conventions! The name rolls fluidly, particularly the first name. Very good!

Flamel Eldgamel

I spent a few hours searching for magical words in other languages and I ended up finding eldgammel, which is icelandic for ancient. Flamel fit the naming convention almost too perfectly from there! Be gentle.

9/10 Fits the naming conventions, rolls well and it has a certain fantasy/mystic ring to it. Add to it the deeper meaning of Eldgammel and you've got a nifty name.

Montague Morne is my attempt at following the Elezen naming conventions. It doesn't end in 'x' or 't,' but Montague is French in origin (I've handwaved the impropriety of the name by saying he's an orphan --__--; ). Morne comes from an old tradition of naming orphans after either the place or conditions in which they were found. Baby Monty was found in the rain, and so became Morne - French for dreary.

(An aside to anyone having naming trouble, this website provides a Lore-Accurate name generator.)

9/10 Fits the naming conventions, rolls well and it has a certain fantasy/mystic ring to it. Add to it the deeper meaning of Eldgammel and you've got a nifty name.

Montague Morne is my attempt at following the Elezen naming conventions. It doesn't end in 'x' or 't,' but Montague is French in origin (I've handwaved the impropriety of the name by saying he's an orphan --__--; ). Morne comes from an old tradition of naming orphans after either the place or conditions in which they were found. Baby Monty was found in the rain, and so became Morne - French for dreary.

(An aside to anyone having naming trouble, this website provides a Lore-Accurate name generator.)

I like it. I'd go with an.. 8. It rolls real nice.. It's not like mixing the wrong sounds or anything. 

Now, I didn't even know there were 'official' naming conventions - So, up untill this point, my Elezen was Kaln Valstian.

But, after having read the conventions posted earlier, I'm thinking we'll change to something like..

Astidien Marat.

Go ahead and give me a rating on both, if you please. ^.^

Now, I didn't even know there were 'official' naming conventions - So, up untill this point, my Elezen was Kaln Valstian.

But, after having read the conventions posted earlier, I'm thinking we'll change to something like..

Astidien Marat.

Go ahead and give me a rating on both, if you please. ^.^

Kaln Valstian: 4 - Scored low due to name non-compliancy. Kaln sounds like a good basis for a Miqo'te first name though.

Astidien Marat: 7 - 9 for the last name, 5 for the first name. I'm just not feeling it. It does make me think of Ettienne though, which I like quite a bit!

Bea, I think that it was somewhere in lore that Roegadyn Sea Wolf women names always end in -wyn. Well, if you are are using the traditional naming methods. Or at least I think I read that somewhere >.>. 

I know that we are suppose to speak about the person above us, but I have always really liked Bea's name. It reminds me of that Lil John song! Well if I am pronouncing it right xD

Don't really care nor want my name rated though. Just wanted to talk about Lil John :cactuar:

I'm gonna go ahead and give it a 7. Loooove the name Selwyn. A lot. Stryke, however, I'm only so-so on. Still, its nice to see a Hyur or two amongst the sea of Miqo'te xD

Okay, my Wildwood is name Isielin Danar'i  (Honestly, it's either Ai-suh-lin, or Ee-suh-lin, I can't make up my mind)

Let it rip! Tell me how I did! Kupo!

I'm gonna go ahead and give it a 7. Loooove the name Selwyn. A lot. Stryke, however, I'm only so-so on. Still, its nice to see a Hyur or two amongst the sea of Miqo'te xD

Okay, my Wildwood is name Isielin Danar'i  (Honestly, it's either Ai-suh-lin, or Ee-suh-lin, I can't make up my mind)

I really like how it sounds, especially the first name so 8/10 :]

My wildwood is named Mathieu Douanier. Didn't follow the naming convention completely but it is french, with the surname roughly meaning "toll collector".

I really like how it sounds, especially the first name so 8/10 :]

My wildwood is named Mathieu Douanier. Didn't follow the naming convention completely but it is french, with the surname roughly meaning "toll collector".

I'll give it an 8/10, a high score because it looks pretty good, and it can be shortened easily to Matt or something for people who don't want to type it out.

I didn't follow naming conventions at all when I named my character, though I did when I picked his alias.

Actual name is Ashren (no last name, Snow is more of a title or a nickname), his alias is U'suren Tia.

8/10 You can't really go wrong with a name like Ashren Snow. The only thing I think you'll run into is people thinking that name is GoT/Asoiaf based because of the name "Snow" being used as the last name, even if it's more of a nickname.

My Highlander is, Yaein Mayweather. And my Garlean spy is, Sasha Vas Godspeed.

My Highlander is, Yaein Mayweather. And my Garlean spy is, Sasha Vas Godspeed.

Yaein Mayweather - 9/10.

I usually like names that flow really well and your's does. Yaein is stronger sounding and totally fits the highlander style, and the Mayweather adds a cute touch so in the end it results in a really womanly sounding name. I like it.

Sasha Vas Godspeed - 8/10

I like the name Sasha, and the Vas is the Garlean touch, but personally I try to avoid the two-words-put-together last names because they are so commonly used in MMORPGs when it comes to roleplay.. Which I suppose isn't a bad thing. In the end, it is a good name regardless of my personal preference.

My Hyur Bard's name is Felix Sideris(Sider-is).

Dude. Felix? That is an awesome name. :D I'm not sure how well any of it follows Hyur naming conventions, but both names seem plenty Hyurish to me! 10/10

A'eyshn Demiir, my Seeker of the Sun Miqo'te. She was originally just "Aysun," but about a month after launch I began to notice all the Seekers had apostrophes in their names, so I made up a Seekerish name for her, and made it hard to pronounce correctly, thus she goes by Aysun. This seems to be a common thing for Miqo'te these days, but back then no one else did it at least.. ^^

Aysun is actually a Turkish name, as is Demir, if you're wondering where I yoinked that from.

Dude. Felix? That is an awesome name. :D I'm not sure how well any of it follows Hyur naming conventions, but both names seem plenty Hyurish to me! 10/10

A'eyshn Demiir, my Seeker of the Sun Miqo'te. She was originally just "Aysun," but about a month after launch I began to notice all the Seekers had apostrophes in their names, so I made up a Seekerish name for her, and made it hard to pronounce correctly, thus she goes by Aysun. This seems to be a common thing for Miqo'te these days, but back then no one else did it at least.. ^^

Aysun is actually a Turkish name, as is Demir, if you're wondering where I yoinked that from.

xD Thanks! Hyur midlander names, maybe it's hyur in general. Usually germanic I'm pretty sure.. or something around that. And yeah, I've always loved your charater's name. Looking forward to running into you in RP!

I like the name Sasha, and the Vas is the Garlean touch, but personally I try to avoid the two-words-put-together last names because they are so commonly used in MMORPGs when it comes to roleplay.. Which I suppose isn't a bad thing. In the end, it is a good name regardless of my personal preference.

Highlanders often take on a last name that has some meaning to them. So you'll see Hyur with a "made-up" name, or two word name, and that absolutely holds to within the naming conventions as written :D Sure you know that though :thumbsup:

Felix Sideris has a Latin feel to me...you sure you're not a Garlean spy as well, hmmmm :lol:? If you're a Midlander, not a bad bard name; 8/10. If you were a Highlander, maybe Felix Slidebar would fit well for a music-making minstrel (again with the two-word names ;) )

My Duskwight's name is Isobeau Mauvaix

*note: Aysun jumped me, but then Tarath jumped back in...I feel justified to retaining my original post :P *

I think your first name fits a Seeker, would I be correct in thinking it was Eh-shun in pronunciation? Demiir seems a bit odd for the catfolk (or is the dual ii drawn out Deh-mi-ir? as in "mi" from mirror but more drawn?) so over all 7~? it was my understanding that they largely used "raspier" sounds.

I use the full name Quaraunt Imarin Baenund (Ku-waar-aun EE-maar-inn BAY-nn.OOn-duh The full stop in his last name being a short pause) Pulled from a mixture of French folklore and Ilythiiri.

I think your first name fits a Seeker, would I be correct in thinking it was Eh-shun in pronunciation? Demiir seems a bit odd for the catfolk (or is the dual ii drawn out Deh-mi-ir? as in "mi" from mirror but more drawn?) so over all 7~? it was my understanding that they largely used "raspier" sounds.

Nope! ;) That's why she goes by Aysun, because that's how it's supposed to be pronounced! Aye-soon (with the lil miqo'te hiss h thing of course). Surname is just Deh-meer. Seeker females take their surname from their father's forename, which are usually short, one or two syllables, so I got lucky that it could be fenangled into a forename if needed. Thanks for the rating~

Nope! ;) That's why she goes by Aysun, because that's how it's supposed to be pronounced! Aye-soon (with the lil miqo'te hiss h thing of course). Surname is just Deh-meer. Seeker females take their surname from their father's forename, which are usually short, one or two syllables, so I got lucky that it could be fenangled into a forename if needed. Thanks for the rating~

AH thanks for the clarification,

just as a note, I think (due to dialect difference) my Eh (mentally) sounds like you Aye, unless your place more emphasis on the e. The "soon" is still more fitting.

so the "meer" is more the "mer" from "merit"?

I greatly enjoy linguistics, so thanks for the time to break it down.

AH thanks for the clarification,

just as a note, I think (due to dialect difference) my Eh (mentally) sounds like you Aye, unless your place more emphasis on the e. The "soon" is still more fitting.

so the "meer" is more the "mer" from "merit"?

I greatly enjoy linguistics, so thanks for the time to break it down.

Easiest way for me to describe it? Go to google translate, and make the Turkish guy say it. :3 He says it perfect~ http://translate.google.com/#en/tr/Aysun%20Demir

Now that I've thoroughly derailed this... Some one rate his name! xD

Easiest way for me to describe it? Go to google translate, and make the Turkish guy say it. :3 He says it perfect~ http://translate.google.com/#en/tr/Aysun%20Demir

Now that I've thoroughly derailed this... Some one rate his name! xD

WAHAHA my mental was almost right. didn't know google translate could speak, its pronunciation of my own in French is pretty accurate except for the last name.