[Gilgamesh] Why not Behemoth as our non-legacy server?

Should we move from Gilgamesh to Behemoth?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Should we move from Gilgamesh to Behemoth?

• Yes
    • No

Edit: By the way, it's currently 27 say yes move to Behemoth to 26 No's. Make your move RPC (no pun intended!).

27:26 does not a unanimous vote make. A lot of them probably aren't even going to Gilgamesh.

Its just not worth it to further respond to this thread Sel just keep an eye on your pm box. Xerek you also and everyone else headed to Gilgamesh as well. No need to keep the pot stirring on an already derailed thread.

Everyone will get to talk unbothered soon, promise.

Let's let this one die already. Keep an eye on your pm boxes.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how to reply, because I have no intent on taking the bait.  So, I'll simply summarize and hope that is enough.

I suppose the reply I was expecting was clarification on the actual purpose of the thread, from your perspective, if any. Or no reply--I wasn't looking to... hook you on something or whatever that means...

So, this thread was started to propose an alternate solution.  The idea being to simply pick a different non-legacy server.  There was never an intent to divide the Gilgamesh community.  It was meant as an all-or-nothing.  Not everyone was on board, so rather then split the community it looked like we were all staying put.

Ah. Even though the original intent was to ask people if they'd rather go to Behemoth, you didn't actually care that much about the result, and you knew it was moot to even have a vote and expect some kind of action from it.

So the point was for you to see if at least a good percentage of Gilgamesh players might be interested in staying on Gilgamesh, so you knew whether to move your guild or not.

I said what I had to.  I will not be baited into more.

Still don't know what that means. Or... wait. Did I get reverse-baited by asking about it? Shoot.

Edit: By the way, it's currently 27 say yes move to Behemoth to 26 No's. Make your move RPC (no pun intended!).

27:26 does not a unanimous vote make. A lot of them probably aren't even going to Gilgamesh.

Well if a lot of them aren't Gilgamesh then that makes the thread even more puzzling in what it hoped to accomplish. That community might still split, after all. It's not a matter of what people say and do here.

Gilgamesh didn't come to be through a unanimous vote either--I fail to see what some people are trying to prove either way. It seems like folks from Gilgamesh may be trying to convince others not to leave Gilgamesh by... telling them not to. Unless a lot of people want to. Then totally do leave.

I guess MY point in all this has always been pointing out what an odd thread this is in the first place, as all I can see it doing is inspiring more division, among Gilgamesh people and among the community at large. It's been filled with nothing but negative sentiment, all over a poll that ultimately doesn't mean or prove anything.

It's like this thread was just made to spark a fracas. Only one thing's missing...

Its just not worth it to further respond to this thread Sel just keep an eye on your pm box. Xerek you also and everyone else headed to Gilgamesh as well. No need to keep the pot stirring on an already derailed thread.

Everyone will get to talk unbothered soon, promise.

Let's let this one die already. Keep an eye on your pm boxes.

Yeah, that. Now that everything's been stirred up, let's just do what should have been done in the first place, and talk about the issue... but privately?

I just think it's a weird way to behave, is all.

Unrelated:

Crops grown in harsh conditions make for the best crops.

This is a bit misleading, and also a bit of a misconception. Plants grown in hostile conditions have a much lower rate of survival, however if there are plants that do have the strength to survive in those conditions, they may manage to breed and pass their heartier genes to their offspring.

Over a number of generations, the less robust plants die off genetically, and the genes of the heartier plants become more prevalent in the population still growing in those hostile conditions. These are not necessarily the "best crops," but they are the most well-adapted to that particular environment.

A related observation is reported here: http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/research/2011/110131SaltSodium.html

I don't know how this relates to roleplayers, but it's funny to think about.

I explained myself already.  To summarize, Gilgamesh players begin to worry about the possibility of 4Chan and Reddit settling there.  I created this thread to see if the community, as a whole, wanted to go to Behemoth instead as a result.  Despite almost being derailed by the Balmung/Gilgamesh thing, the thread served it's purpose.  The thread and poll show that the community did not want to move to Behemoth in it's entirety.  Case closed.  As this thread should now be.

I have said what I can, how I can.  If the above does not appease you, I don't know what will.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/94373-Experience-the-Epic-of-Gilgamesh-the-fresh-perky-new-RP-server.

Is the only real concern I have.

Good gracious are the people on the beta forums a bunch of assholes.

Just read that post. I must say, I'm rather disturbed by the feeling they are going for with that advertisement.

"Come to Gilgamesh if you want to actually matter, because you won't on Balmung."

More than a little exaggeration there, I think. Seems more like a method of scaring people away from Balmung, than actually showing what the Gilgamesh community has to offer.

Reminds me of politics.

"Vote for us, because the other guy is evil!"

@Draheim, last night in our Gilgamesh server meeting, we discussed ways to help promote Gilgamesh but the trouble we run into is everyone inherently thinks "Saying something good about Gilgamesh, and that it will be a different experience from Balmung, is like saying Balmung is no good." We've been over this so many times that it gets almost frustrating on my part, as someone who has friends both on Balmung and on Gilgamesh, because I want both places to be a success.

Tearing apart someones wording, when they're trying to do their best to make Gilgamesh a success while simultaneously being flamed for the words they're trying to use carefully, seems like in and of itself is just getting to the point of bullying. Is Gilgamesh supposed to just say "We're the secondary RP server. If you don't like Balmung come here." No, because a lot of us actually want to see both servers succeed, and at this point YES Gilgamesh does need more help than Balmung to get going. You can't blame anyone for trying to get the word out that there will be roleplay on Gilgamesh.

The point of promoting Gilgamesh isn't to exclude anyone, especially Balmung. You guys have the majority of the roleplayers, how can you get upset about one person posting a thread where they are ripped apart for their wording when they're trying their best not to antagonize anyone. Gilgamesh is the "new" server, saying it's not is just a lie. We all know Balmung is the old or the Primary RP server, no one has ever discounted that.

All I see lately is a bunch of bullying, picking apart anything anyone says about anything server related, especially when god forbid Gilgamesh wants to try to pick up their numbers or encourage the people who will be playing on Gilgamesh to actually roleplay with us (Reddit users included). We're being as INCLUSIVE as possible, yes you can pick apart anything anyone says on the internet, does that make it right? No.

I just want us all to get along, if you can't handle Gilgamesh trying to grow in number, are you really being a great community member? Don't we want both communities to succeed? If so, what's the problem?

This is actually the first "rant" I've had, so excuse me but I feel like a lot has been left unsaid and I feel like the general bullying and picking everything on the forums apart has just reached an all time high after we just had a meeting to address nearly all of the issues people still seem to be flinging about.

I love this community Balmung AND Gilgamesh, I love the mods, I love our members, a lot of you are actually trying to help Gilgamesh, putting your feelings aside about the community going two ways and I sincerely appreciate it.

Let's have constructive criticism from now on, and not pick on people for how they might word something. Text can lose a lot of context, so just try to remember that folks.

@Vee, My apologies if I sounded hostile there. Was not the intent. I personally have no hard feelings against those of you who wish to play on Gilgamesh. I'm new to the game, will be starting fresh, and I'm hitting Balmung. Do I have a reason? Not really. I came here, saw that Balmung was the advertised server on the main page, and headed over.

If anything, I think you guys are doing great work in terms of making Gilgamesh a friendly place for new folks, specially with some of the other major communities that are headed your way.

As far as what I said there, honestly, I'm down with the flu and being 'that guy'. Plus, I've been dealing with some RL politics stuff lately, so I read that post and was like....yea. I'm gonna go back to bed now. Again, sorry if I offended.

@Vee, My apologies if I sounded hostile there. Was not the intent. I personally have no hard feelings against those of you who wish to play on Gilgamesh. I'm new to the game, will be starting fresh, and I'm hitting Balmung. Do I have a reason? Not really. I came here, saw that Balmung was the advertised server on the main page, and headed over.

If anything, I think you guys are doing great work in terms of making Gilgamesh a friendly place for new folks, specially with some of the other major communities that are headed your way.

As far as what I said there, honestly, I'm down with the flu and being 'that guy'. Plus, I've been dealing with some RL politics stuff lately, so I read that post and was like....yea. I'm gonna go back to bed now. Again, sorry if I offended.

Don't worry about it, Draheim. As the author of that, uh, exemplary thread, I can say it's a textbook study on how you can mean well, sound well to one group of people, and sound like a total ass to another. I tried my very best to excite others with the reasons I'm going to Gilgamesh, and the end result was that I managed to cheese off two-thirds of the Balmung community. Whoops!

Tone is tricky.

I don't care where we land, as long as it isn't Gilgamesh.  Gilgamesh will apparently be the home of:  Something Awful, BlueGartr, Reddit, and us roleplayers.  Having just one of those communities with us wouldn't be so bad, two would be pushing it, but all three?  It doesn't sound fun.

I don't care where we land, as long as it isn't Gilgamesh.  Gilgamesh will apparently be the home of:  Something Awful, BlueGartr, Reddit, and us roleplayers.  Having just one of those communities with us wouldn't be so bad, two would be pushing it, but all three?  It doesn't sound fun.

Okay? So what? Not everyone from those communities are bad. A LOT of redditers actually want to RP. Hell, I found this site on 4chan and I'm certainly not looking to be toxic in any way.

If it seriously bothers you that much, roll on Balmung. But honestly you are blowing it way out of proportion. You will meet griefers no matter what realm you go to.

Something Awful isn't coming to Gilgamesh. They're set on Excalibur. (Personally, I think the goons are a riot. Following their antics in various games has something I've always enjoyed.)

Reddit, on the other hand - well, those of us who consider ourselves the leaders of the Gilgamesh Or Bust movement, we've been making a special effort to recruit from Reddit, and it's paying off already. Look at the Gilgamesh directory. I'd estimate that 1 in 4 of the recent entries are from Reddit'rs. There's no war between Reddit and Gilgamesh RPC, and from the looks of things, there never will be one, unless people on our end provoke it. If you don't believe me, have a look at Reddit's FFXIV subreddits. Some of them are genuinely interested in roleplaying with us. We'll be giving them the VIP treatment. They'll be welcome at the beach party, and at any of the other major public events in, or out of character.

The us vs them mentality is going out of style. I don't identify with the things you're saying here, and I don't want new people from Reddit identifying what you're saying with us. That isn't how I roll, and to be perfectly frank, the majority of the people moving to Gilgamesh don't roll that way, either.

Blue Gartr? I sincerely doubt most of them will even care what we're doing. I may even raid with them, as they run pretty good progression groups. A lot the friends I've made out of this fledgling Gilgamesh crew feel the same way. We think Reddit and Blue Gartr alike should be welcomed to our events, and tolerated with good humor if they make a mess.

If you don't want to play with, recruit from, and mingle with these communities, perhaps you should reconsider your server choice.

As Yeldir said: It looks like we will all be getting along as more of reddit seems to be supportive of us or doesn't really care either way. As long as we are kind and inviting it will mostly be reciprocated. As long as we continue building our community it will remain strong. Cooperation and co-habitation is key on any server you go to.

Let's also keep in mind that a diverse server community makes for a strong server, a strong economy and welcomes a host of different play styles. Having a large and varied server population is a good thing.

Okay? So what? Not everyone from those communities are bad. A LOT of redditers actually want to RP. Hell, I found this site on 4chan and I'm certainly not looking to be toxic in any way.

If it seriously bothers you that much, roll on Balmung. But honestly you are blowing it way out of proportion. You will meet griefers no matter what realm you go to.

So what?

So there might be an overpopulation issue.

So there will be a larger pool of roleplayers to meet if the only high profile community on the server is roleplayers.

So not everyone is up to date on these communities and will just hear "oh this is that communities server?  Guess I'll roll there."  The vocal part, bad or good, is not the majority.

And where did I mention griefers?  Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to assume that's my chief worry, and maybe you shouldn't start off so defensive because you believe I'm smacktalking a community that you now have me assuming you belong to because of your kneejerk reaction.

Something Awful isn't coming to Gilgamesh.  They're set on Excalibur.  (Personally, I think the goons are a riot.  Following their antics in various games has something I've always enjoyed.)

Reddit, on the other hand - well, those of us who consider ourselves the leaders of the Gilgamesh Or Bust movement, we've been making a special effort to recruit from Reddit, and it's paying off already.  Look at the Gilgamesh directory.  I'd estimate that 1 in 4 of the recent entries are from Reddit'rs.  There's no war between Reddit and Gilgamesh RPC, and from the looks of things, there never will be one, unless people on our end provoke it.  If you don't believe me, have a look at Reddit's FFXIV subreddits.  Some of them are genuinely interested in roleplaying with us.  We'll be giving them the VIP treatment.  They'll be welcome at the beach party, and at any of the other major public events in, or out of character.

The us vs them mentality is going out of style.  I don't identify with the things you're saying here, and I don't want new people from Reddit identifying what you're saying with us.  That isn't how I roll, and to be perfectly frank, the majority of the people moving to Gilgamesh don't roll that way, either.

Blue Gartr?  I sincerely doubt most of them will even care what we're doing.  I may even raid with them, as they run pretty good progression groups.  A lot the friends I've made out of this fledgling Gilgamesh crew feel the same way.  We think Reddit and Blue Gartr alike should be welcomed to our events, and tolerated with good humor if they make a mess.

If you don't want to play with, recruit from, and mingle with these communities, perhaps you should reconsider your server choice.

Refer to above.  There are legitimate reasons beyond "oh noes I will get trolled by the big bad internets" that people would want a different server.

Chief amongst them, as mentioned, are that at least two of three of those communities are massive, and as anyone who's suffered ridiculous queue times know, they're not fun.

A good argument, Fenrir, I hope you don't expect me to take it seriously.

Had you been concerned specifically about server population, you would have said that you were concerned about server population in the first place. You didn't even mention it. I know the game well enough to know the deflection technique you're employing here.

But all of that's not really a productive line of thinking. Rather than allow this to degenerate further, I'll say one thing, and step out of this, before I get my 0% tarnished:

Most of us are looking forward to the populous, messy Gilgamesh, and we're not afraid of queue-times or what have you. There's zero chance of a change at this point. The Gilgamesh community has become entrenched. Consider other options, or dig in. I mean that with the best of intentions.

A good argument, Fenrir, I hope you don't expect me to take it seriously.  

Had you been concerned specifically about server population, you would have said that you were concerned about server population in the first place.  You didn't even mention it.  I know the game well enough to know the deflection technique you're employing here.  

But all of that's not really a productive line of thinking.  Rather than allow this to degenerate further, I'll say one thing, and step out of this, before I get my 0% tarnished:

Most of us are looking forward to the populous, messy Gilgamesh, and we're not afraid of queue-times or what have you.  There's zero chance of a change at this point.  The Gilgamesh community has become entrenched.  Consider other options, or dig in.  I mean that with the best of intentions.

That's classic.  I say one would be bad enough, and you assume that I'm badmouthing your community, and in the same breath condemn me for being worried about griefers and trolls, and swearing up and down that because you're trying to recruit from reddit, it's all A-okay.  Then when corrected, you stick to your guns instead of admitting you've presumed incorrectly, and brush aside the real sticking point with a handwave of "but we've already decided, and I speak for everyone when I say we won't mind the queues."

Chief amongst them, as mentioned, are that at least two of three of those communities are massive, and as anyone who's suffered ridiculous queue times know, they're not fun.

You do realize that's not how queue times work, right?

Larger servers = more people queueing up = more queues

Smaller servers = less people queueing up = fewer queues

It might be worth keeping this on the shelf until after Phase 4. There'll be a lot of people in the beta, probably far more than there will be in game a few weeks after launch. It'll be a good time to stress test and see how bad things are at absolute peak times. If things are smooth during the beta, chances are they'll be smooth in actual play, at least from a week after launch onwards. 

If there's a lot of problems during beta, especially with potential queues, then it'll be worth bringing up this discussion again then once we know what those problems are. It'll be less painful to lose a few days of beta progress than to have to queue for roleplaying funtimes.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is Reddit and Blue Gartr anyway and what is the controversy between them and us?

Honestly for those going to Gilgamesh at this point there isn't any. But many roleplayers in general have valid concerns about them due to past experiences with them trolling.

I haven't heard anything about BlueGartr aside from them being progression snobs and well that's the nature of any mmo *shrugs* I mean you are never going to get past that just like you are never going to get past griefers.

And as far as Reddit goes I have found SEVERAL threads on their site just by conducting Google searches mind you that reflect interest in roleplaying. Recently Sony Online Entertainment has even put up a post asking a question related to roleplay for their upcoming Everquest Next. So my question is this. If a major mmo company like SOE is going to Reddit to ask about roleplaying and not to a rp site dedicated to roleplaying what does that tell you? That there must be a significant amount of roleplayers on Reddit.

Love them or hate them multimillion dollar companies know where their audiences hang out.

Just think about reality of this for a bit, and look at the responses.

Here is the thread below

http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/1k592c/rp_functionality_and_why_rp_should_be/cblpndy

Here is my response to the naysayers on the beta forums in Yeldir's post. Just wanted to give them something to think about. Nobody has responded aside from a person that will hopefully be joining us on the server for roleplaying.

Just want to say a few things for the naysayers.

Last phase I was making the community aware of the fact that there will be roleplayers on the server.

And guess what happened? There was a lot of interest. People were happy they didn't have to leave their crafting/raiding/progression/etc guilds. They were happy that they could finally try out roleplay for the first time without having to change servers. Why? Because the community is so diverse. And this isn't to say that no other server would be as diverse as Gilgamesh.This is to say that yes with all the different communities going there - there will be something for everyone. Want to hang out with the great endgamers - do it. Want to hang out with the roleplayers - do it, want to hang out with the great crafters - do it. Want to learn from the best minmaxers - do it. Everytime I made a post I spoke to various LS/FC leaders who were interested in roleplay being on the server. Why? Because all of them had members of their NON RP organizations who were interested in rp but they as leaders couldn't provide these things to their members.

Bottom line is this, for every negative there is a positive. YOU may not like rp, but trust me, you will have at least one friend who does or who might be interested. At least be respectful to those that do and if its not your thing ignore them. A more inclusive, varied and diverse community for all is a good thing. This was also something I was told when I was making these community notices during phase 3. I even managed to do an impromptu rp class with a group that most isolationist roleplayers would completely write off once they saw their character names.

Such types of things will be the order of the day on Gilgamesh, such things will be the norm. Just like I am sure some of you can tell me the best class combinations for maxing out dps or making the best quality weapons, well I can teach you how to roleplay and make the game more fun during those boring times once you maxed out everything. Its a win win situation, and remember just because you may not want this doesn't mean that your best bud who is playing the game with you wouldn't be interested either. People are not clones, just because you don't like something doesn't mean that your friends have a problem with it.

So lets not be so selfish yes? More options is better for everyone and if more people join -your- guild on Gilgamesh because they can craft/raid/pvp/endgame and even rp too isn't that better for your bottom line as a guild leader?

"Oh we don't do rp but if you decide to join us there is rp on the server so you won't be disappointed"

And what is wrong with saying something like the line above? Because guess what, that's exactly what will be happening on the server that some guild leaders will be saying knowing that they won't have to lose people for their guilds who also want to rp. Stop thinking about -yourself- and think about others too. Besides we will be providing plenty of things to do like events where people can participate and have fun even without being in character. Fun social events for everyone that is respectful to attend. Think of it in the same way you think of going to see a play for the evening but you don't have to leave the comfort your home.

Bottom line is that you as guild leaders will have competition in recruiting. Do you think you will recruit more people than the guild who does the same thing you do, but has no issues with roleplayers joining their crafting/pvp/progression/endgame guilds? Do you think you will get new members as fast as the GL that is open minded enough to say "Well you know the guild doesn't do rp but I can send you to some guys who can help with that being that there is rp on the server".

Are you 100 percent confident that you won't have and will never have any contact with potential new recruits who also may have an interest in rp? Will you not allow people into your guild if they do have such an interest? Just think about this for a minute.

See you in game!

Just had to give them something to chew on for a bit.

If a major mmo company like SOE is going to Reddit to ask about roleplaying and not to a rp site dedicated to roleplaying what does that tell you?

It tells me Reddit's a popular site and that there's no big central gaming roleplaying site because roleplay sites are always fragmented between their various gaming communities.

Of course, there's always the third option that everyone compromises and the 1.0 players utilize the upcoming transfer service and the Gilgameshers give up Gilgamesh and we all move to a new, neutral server and all the roleplayers roleplay together like a big roleplaying coalition and we all roleplay happily ever after... well, really until someone starts the next drama war, but whatever. Details.

Actually nevermind, that'd probably cost the 1.0 players to all pay money, so no one will go for that. Carry on.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is Reddit and Blue Gartr anyway and what is the controversy between them and us?

An excellent question. I would say that there is none at this time, but there is a danger of creating one.

We've already pulled quite a few members into our community from Reddit - and as for Blue Gartr, the only complaint I ever see made regarding them relates them being top progression dogs and talking smack about it, which is really completely irrelevant to roleplay and successful roleplay events. If they want to burn up all the content and then parade through town yelling about how rad their new gear is, I say, let em' have fun.

We could probably bring a few of them into our community just by cheering them on, in character. I've played the progression game often enough to know how you think when you're into it, and a thumbs-up from your own server community is rare enough to be treasured.