[Gilgamesh] Why not Behemoth as our non-legacy server?

Should we move from Gilgamesh to Behemoth?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Should we move from Gilgamesh to Behemoth?

• Yes
    • No

To me it just seems like everyone needs a bit more patience. It's a virtue, you know. Not to bring up another game but when Guild Wars 2 came out, Jade Quarry (server) was locked out most of the time, until finally that next morning I had a chance to pop in. The server evened out and we were able to get our whole guild (a whopping 40-50 people) in within the next couple days - and this was on one of the largest servers, which had SEVERAL communities of people similar to Reddit that people wanted to avoid, but roleplay still happened there and still does so it really didn't stop anyone from enjoying anything.

I have a feeling between Open Beta, Headstart, and release there will be AMPLE opportunity to get your character into the server he/she is wanting to be on. A little patience can go a long way. Most games have a day or two where servers fluxuate, I'm sure everyone will be able to get to where they want to be.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was just one or two, I'd not be as concerned about capacity.

Still, I don't see it being a major problem. Internet giants like Reddit and 4chan are fickle. If the servers lock up? They will be the first to leave.

Anyone know what the servers cap at?

Still, I don't see it being a major problem. Internet giants like Reddit and 4chan are fickle. If the servers lock up? They will be the first to leave.

Because communities jump from server to server so well on the fly...

oh wait...

It's pretty safe to assume Gilgamesh is their target and they're locked in for bad or worse, which as its already been said, the RP community moving toward Gilgamesh is also too heavy to move at this point without serious internal communication.

oh wait...

It's pretty safe to assume Gilgamesh is their target and they're locked in for bad or worse, which as its already been said, the RP community moving toward Gilgamesh is also too heavy to move at this point without serious internal communication.

So then why bother fighting it? What happens at this point? Happens.

If you don't like where a train is going, standing in front of it isn't going to do you a whole lot of good.

oh wait...

So then why bother fighting it? What happens at this point? Happens.

If you don't like where a train is going, standing in front of it isn't going to do you a whole lot of good.

On this we agree, especially since trains hurt.

No, don't change it.  Yeah, Gilgamesh will be total chaos.  I'm not afraid of that, and we have the interesting challenge of building a community that can integrate peacefully with the colorful groups that will be making Gilgamesh their home with us.

I'm strongly against the us vs. them mentality in that regard.  I think Gilgamesh can be a great social hub for roleplayers, and that we can build a community that redefines how people see roleplayers in FFXIV, bringing new friends from unlikely places into our community.  Gilgamesh is the place to do that, not Behemoth.

Server locks are a real concern, though.  Square has taken enough from the ingenuity of Vanilla WoW to know how to handle that.  I'm sure we all have that classic queue-dance .swf bookmarked for the first week or two of launch...

I have 100% faith in our Gilgamesh brothers and sisters. I wouldn't worry so much. They are gonna do great and I think its good to give support to both servers. Yes, we know there will be other smaller rp groups on other servers, that's life. Oh well. I think once the game hits open beta/launch people won't be so antsy or worried.

It's not quips.  My comment was in regards to the fact that some people think I suggested splitting Gilgamesh, which is simply not true.  The Balmung/Gilgamesh thing is now moot, as it is now forbidden in this thread.

What some people fail to see is that the simple purpose of this thread was to spark discussion between Gilgamesh players and Companies.  With the news of Reddit, 4Chan and others going Gilgamesh, I was simply curious if the community as a whole wanted to pick a different server, and I thank the posters that stayed on-topic for it.  I wasn't pushing to move, as some people think.  I apologize if my initial post somehow suggested it.  That was never my intent.

Balmung/Gilgamesh mess aside, this thread did still manage to fufill it's objective.  There are enough Gilgamesh players commited to making things work there, that any move to a different non-Legacy server would do nothing more then divide an already thin Gilgamesh community.  So, looks like we're going to batton down the hatches and brace for the storm.  We're a hardy bunch, we should be fine.

I don't mind a server move. This early on it's doable. I know people are concerned by 4Chan & Reddit, I wouldn't want to see it become a trollfest. But not everybody from 4Chan & Reddit are douchebags, it's possible they'll be a little more tolerant with a few idiots making fun - heck there may even be some roleplayers among them, but I think people will make fun regardless, there are just a lot of people out there who think it's weird or sad to roleplay. But I'm a genuine weird person, so people generally think me odd and those who have a problem, I tend to think "*%$ 'em" rather than change anything. I'm not going to let folks spoil my fun.

If there are people who are a problem, you can block them. However, has anybody tried speaking to the 4Chan or Reddit communities? I would like the idea of people being able to work together rather than against each other, however, I accept people can be a-holes and enjoy ruining people's fun. I accept that will be a challenge, so I wouldn't be against moving if it needed to come to it. So I am on the fence, I want to be a part of the Gilgamesh RP community, so I'll go wherever they go. Simple as that really.

I don't think it's worth fighting over it for. If we do, 4Chan/Reddit will be the least of our problems here. :)

I'm not sure exactly why a massive pop is a BAD thing. Is lag the concern? Or do the servers lock up after a certain amount of people are online?

When 1.0 launched, there were servers locked, yes. There were people who were unable to create their characters on Besaid on the very first day. The lock didn't last long, and if you got lucky, you could roll up on the second or third day. After the first week, it didn't really matter, and I didn't see any server locks that I can recall now.

Balmung/Gilgamesh mess aside, this thread did still manage to fufill it's objective.  There are enough Gilgamesh players commited to making things work there, that any move to a different non-Legacy server would do nothing more then divide an already thin Gilgamesh community.  So, looks like we're going to batton down the hatches and brace for the storm.  We're a hardy bunch, we should be fine.

Might I suggest adding this info to the first post?

All of these comments sucked. :frustrated:

It's not quips.  My comment was in regards to the fact that some people think I suggested splitting Gilgamesh, which is simply not true.  The Balmung/Gilgamesh thing is now moot, as it is now forbidden in this thread.

What some people fail to see is that the simple purpose of this thread was to spark discussion between Gilgamesh players and Companies.  With the news of Reddit, 4Chan and others going Gilgamesh, I was simply curious if the community as a whole wanted to pick a different server, and I thank the posters that stayed on-topic for it.  I wasn't pushing to move, as some people think.  I apologize if my initial post somehow suggested it.  That was never my intent.

There would be a split if those who voted yes decide to go over Bahamut anyway.

But I didn't use the right words to express myself...

What I should have said is... If this kinda of angsty anti-legacy OR run-from-reddit OR oh-noes-trolls-claimed-the-server doesn't stop, I swear I'll go crazy.

(note the OR's, I'm not saying I've seen all three of those here)

Also if any of the LS of FC I pledge membership with are planning on changing server, I'm out.

But yeah all of those comments sucked.

I would add however that all those threads sucked.

Well...

+Okay, I've seen the whole mess with 4chan and reddit landing on Gilgamesh.  Regardless of what you think of the communities there is an undeniable risk that the server will simply fill up and be locked, which would be disastrous for a new RP community.

Now, I've heard of people moving from Gilgamesh to Balmung as a result of all this, which to me is sad.  I'm looking forward to helping build a new RP community.  I also can't ignore the potential problems of Gilgamesh.  But I got to wondering...

...why not simply choose a different server to Gilgamesh as our unofficial RP non-legacy server?  Right now, Gilgamesh is a name.  We've nothing vested in it, and there is no reason we could not settle elsewhere instead.  We'd still have our community apart from Balmung to develop.  We'd still have, well, everything we wanted.

Now, I looked at the original poll, where Gilgamesh won handily.  The NA runner up was Behemoth.  Why don't we simply change from Gilgamesh to Behemoth?  Seem to make the most sense, and make the most people happy.  Would also solve the problems we're having with Gilgamesh atm.

Thoughts?

Note: Please vote only if you are planning to play on Gilgamesh

If you say so.

But it still sounds like you're speaking for the whole community instead of yourself or your own guild. Frankly, I wasn't aware that the Gilgamesh community had a leader.

If it doesn't, then I think that the people who are bothered by the situation on Gilgamesh should do what will make them happy, and ignore this poll and the people speaking for them. Just go join the Behemoth community if you want.

Well...

+Okay, I've seen the whole mess with 4chan and reddit landing on Gilgamesh.  Regardless of what you think of the communities there is an undeniable risk that the server will simply fill up and be locked, which would be disastrous for a new RP community.

Now, I've heard of people moving from Gilgamesh to Balmung as a result of all this, which to me is sad.  I'm looking forward to helping build a new RP community.  I also can't ignore the potential problems of Gilgamesh.  But I got to wondering...

...why not simply choose a different server to Gilgamesh as our unofficial RP non-legacy server?  Right now, Gilgamesh is a name.  We've nothing vested in it, and there is no reason we could not settle elsewhere instead.  We'd still have our community apart from Balmung to develop.  We'd still have, well, everything we wanted.

Now, I looked at the original poll, where Gilgamesh won handily.  The NA runner up was Behemoth.  Why don't we simply change from Gilgamesh to Behemoth?  Seem to make the most sense, and make the most people happy.  Would also solve the problems we're having with Gilgamesh atm.

Thoughts?

If you say so.

But it still sounds like you're speaking for the whole community instead of yourself or your own guild. Frankly, I wasn't aware that the Gilgamesh community had a leader.

If it doesn't, then I think that the people who are bothered by the situation on Gilgamesh should do what will make them happy, and ignore this poll and the people speaking for them. Just go join the Behemoth community if you want.

We, as in the "other" or "alternate" community.  If we have a leader it sure isn't me.  I'm not sure how to reply, because I have no intent on taking the bait.  So, I'll simply summarize and hope that is enough.

The "other" community decided on Gilgamesh.  A big outcry came up when it was believed Reddit and 4Chan were going to land there as well.  A number of players originally planning to go to Gilgamesh instead went to Balmung not because they had a sudden change of heart, but because it was the RP server without 4Chan and Reddit.

So, this thread was started to propose an alternate solution.  The idea being to simply pick a different non-legacy server.  There was never an intent to divide the Gilgamesh community.  It was meant as an all-or-nothing.  Not everyone was on board, so rather then split the community it looked like we were all staying put.

Anyone can do anything they want.  I wasn't trying to force anything and I am out of ways to say that.  I offered a suggestion and solicited feedback.  When it looked like the suggestion was rejected I simply said that.

I cannot be any more blunt about what I said and what my motives were with this thread.

I said what I had to.  I will not be baited into more.

Well...

Thoughts?

If you say so.

We, as in the "other" or "alternate" community.  If we have a leader it sure isn't me.  I'm not sure how to reply, because I have no intent on taking the bait.  So, I'll simply summarize and hope that is enough.

The "other" community decided on Gilgamesh.  A big outcry came up when it was believed Reddit and 4Chan were going to land there as well.  A number of players originally planning to go to Gilgamesh instead went to Balmung not because they had a sudden change of heart, but because it was the RP server without 4Chan and Reddit.

So, this thread was started to propose an alternate solution.  The idea being to simply pick a different non-legacy server.  There was never an intent to divide the Gilgamesh community.  It was meant as an all-or-nothing.  Not everyone was on board, so rather then split the community it looked like we were all staying put.

Anyone can do anything they want.  I wasn't trying to force anything and I am out of ways to say that.  I offered a suggestion and solicited feedback.  When it looked like the suggestion was rejected I simply said that.

I cannot be any more blunt about what I said and what my motives were with this thread.

I said what I had to.  I will not be baited into more.

I appreciate this thread honestly. Unfortunately with the current atmosphere of the site your good intentions resulted in something else. Lets just hope that Square will do a good job handling the situation. If any of your guys are going to be in during open beta and early access I suggest getting them in as soon as possible. Hopefully everyone going to Gilgamesh will do the same so that more can get in during actual launch.

I just ask don't let the actions of some here discourage you. Trust me many of us heard you and we can privately talk in pms for options if you want. Right now I've found that many are unstanchingly going to Gilgamesh. As I mentioned I have no issue going to another server but this would cause so much confusion during the last minute and feelings are already high here enough with other issues.  Unforunately that means we lose those that are not willing to deal with the possibility of those from certain sites bothering them. There is no truly easy solution. We now just have to see what happens I guess. Personally I've always looked at us mainly having to recruit our roleplayers from the server itself anyway.

Not that this part would change anyone's minds but a member here from 4chan has stated and linked that most of them are going to Ultros. Just wanted to reiterate that. Also know that many of the problem players have openly stated heading to other servers now after Gilgamesh being deemed an -rp- server. *shrugs*. You can check around the internet for that and the beta forums. Crops grown in harsh conditions make for the best crops.

We will see what happens I guess.

To be honest, after seeing how much trouble this is, (Gilga vs Behemoth, the chances of disaster with all these conflicting communities, bad organization) just decided to go to Balmung. Legacy people or not at least Balmung has been a solid option, and this has gotten out of hand.

I also know it's a bit late, but Behemoth does sound like a less cluttered option than Gilga.

Edit: By the way, it's currently 27 say yes move to Behemoth to 26 No's. Make your move RPC (no pun intended!).