[Gilgamesh] Why not Behemoth as our non-legacy server?

Should we move from Gilgamesh to Behemoth?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Should we move from Gilgamesh to Behemoth?

• Yes
    • No

+Okay, I've seen the whole mess with 4chan and reddit landing on Gilgamesh.  Regardless of what you think of the communities there is an undeniable risk that the server will simply fill up and be locked, which would be disastrous for a new RP community.

Now, I've heard of people moving from Gilgamesh to Balmung as a result of all this, which to me is sad.  I'm looking forward to helping build a new RP community.  I also can't ignore the potential problems of Gilgamesh.  But I got to wondering...

...why not simply choose a different server to Gilgamesh as our unofficial RP non-legacy server?  Right now, Gilgamesh is a name.  We've nothing vested in it, and there is no reason we could not settle elsewhere instead.  We'd still have our community apart from Balmung to develop.  We'd still have, well, everything we wanted.

Now, I looked at the original poll, where Gilgamesh won handily.  The NA runner up was Behemoth.  Why don't we simply change from Gilgamesh to Behemoth?  Seem to make the most sense, and make the most people happy.  Would also solve the problems we're having with Gilgamesh atm.

Thoughts?

Note: Please vote only if you are planning to play on Gilgamesh

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm set on joining Balmung so I shouldn't really give my opinion on this, but I feel I should at least give my experience with Behemoth. During Phase 2 I played on Behemoth with my group of friends from another game, I had heard on the beta forum that Behemoth was a good place to go for RP (this was before I had learned about the RPC), so we tried to RP there and ended up getting cussed out by people, stuff like "Shut the &@($ up" and stuff like that, or being called griefers because we were RPing in public.

Join Behemoth at your own peril.

Edit: I'll also say I think this is kind of a bad idea, there is already a lot of tension between of the Balmung/Gilgamesh rift, if we stir up all the dust again debating another server instead of Gilgamesh we'll have a further divide. People who want to say on Balmung, people who want to stay on Gilgamesh, and people who want another server.

I'm set on joining Balmung so I shouldn't really give my opinion on this, but I feel I should at least give my experience with Behemoth. During Phase 2 I played on Behemoth with my group of friends from another game, I had heard on the beta forum that Behemoth was a good place to go for RP (this was before I had learned about the RPC), so we tried to RP there and ended up getting cussed out by people, stuff like "Shut the &@($ up" and stuff like that, or being called griefers because we were RPing in public.

Join Behemoth at your own peril.

Things like that will always happen, even the other legacy RP server still has some negative impacts from people. But when you turn around and KNOW that two groups that have a fairly anti-rp stance are heading towards the non-legacy server chosen for RP, well.. it'll be much worse.

The most important thing is for everyone to get on board. It's not a matter of whether "I can deal with it" or "I don't mind people griefing" in my personal opinion. What we're REALLY doing is establishing some future shy roleplayer who's just trying out things for the first time? That they're going to be able to come into an environment wherein they decide to actually roleplay instead of hiding that urge and feeling awkward.

All of our organizing, community building, group events to get things out there, etc? Should all be done with the idea of Future Shy Roleplayer in mind. If Reddit/4chan are both going to be in a place? It's going to be horrible for Future Shy Roleplayer and other RPers are going to try to hide away to "Safe" roleplaying areas which effectively means no RP community unless you join through backroads and secret handshakes.

Admittedly, again, I'm going Balmung but... trust me on this one. Try to find a place where you'll get as soft a landing as possible.

During Phase 2 I played on Behemoth with my group of friends from another game, I had heard on the beta forum that Behemoth was a good place to go for RP (this was before I had learned about the RPC), so we tried to RP there and ended up getting cussed out by people, stuff like "Shut the &@($ up" and stuff like that, or being called griefers because we were RPing in public.

Our guild played on Behemoth for phases two and three and had no issues whatsoever. We actually ran into a few other roleplayers—not that we were trying to in the slightest, it being beta and all—and had a fun time! Never once did we have any problems with griefers.

I'll be on Balmung because I expect it to have the highest concentration of roleplayers by far. That said, while I do think Behemoth would have been a better choice than Gilgamesh, things are pretty much decided at this point and going through this whole ordeal again so close to open beta doesn't seem realistic. If you're worried about 4chan, Reddit, and the server filling up, just join Balmung. A month or so later, you'll have a level fifty character and things won't be all that different from a non-legacy server anyway.

The majority of 4chan is not going to Gilgamesh. They will be split between Ultros and Cactuar, with another group of stragglers on Gilgamesh. The worst of the community will not be concentrated on Gilgamesh, but that doesn't mean there won't be others who are just as bad (if not worse).

Have a poll. There is an rp community going to Leviathan also if people are that worried let's go there

*tries to hold back the rant about why people can't just get over the server name pride thing and go to a SINGLE server*

This is why we need Squee... freaking humans. We suck at making group decisions.

If you ask me, people need to stop fussing about it. If they don't wanna be on gilgamesh then they can move to another server if they want to, the people who want to stay on gilgamesh are going to stay on gilgamesh and not even worry about 4chan and reddit. We don't need another poll about switching servers again. Because all that'll do is confuse people even more.

So, my advice, you don't wanna be around reddit and 4chan then go to another server by your self.

I am going to try my best to not sound even remotely snobbish or elitist here.  So please, read this in your minds as such.  This post is not an attack or a prod, but an actual, honest question and opinion held solely by me from my experience. 

If you are considering re-voting and selecting a new server on which to play, why not select Balmung and join the original section of the community under a single banner?  I've never really understood from a Role Play perspective as for why people wanted to roll on another server to begin with.  I can and do understand it's their choice to do so, but I do not however understand why.  The existing player base has been here for almost three years.  That's three years of experience, teamwork, story and friendship.  We aren't going anyways and are always welcoming to new players even after the original launch.  Some joined even towards the end of the era and they were accepted like they had been around since the start.

The only two reasons I can see people wanting to start on another server are the "SERVER FIRST" people and the Hardcore player base who do not want to RP but instead to grind out content as fast as possible so they can lord around in their +1 STR subligar or what have you.  Seeing how Role Players tend to focus on endgame second or third, rather then first, this shouldn't be an issue.

But yet, here we are, with a community split over a simple issue that sounds often time like "We don't want to play with the older kids" because of one bad experience in the past with someone else in another community from a different game.  It's disheartening.

Have a poll. There is an rp community going to Leviathan also if people are that worried let's go there

*tries to hold back the rant about why people can't just get over the server name pride thing and go to a SINGLE server*

This is why we need Squee... freaking humans. We suck at making group decisions.

We made a decision (Besaid/Balmung).. some people just want to run their own communities.

*Secondary. >>;;

If you ask me, people need to stop fussing about it. If they don't wanna be on gilgamesh then they can move to another server if they want to, the people who want to stay on gilgamesh are going to stay on gilgamesh and not even worry about 4chan and reddit. We don't need another poll about switching servers again. Because all that'll do is confuse people even more.

So, my advice, you don't wanna be around reddit and 4chan then go to another server by your self.

Thank you

This thread should simply be about staying on Gilgamesh, or moving to Behemoth (or another server).  Please do not derail it by lamenting the existence of those wanting to roll on a server other then Balmung.

Also, to be clear, the issue here is not just being with Reddit and 4Chan.  The concern is that with both of those communities there, that there is a good chance the population cap will be reached and the server will lock.

Please keep the negativity about the existence of the Gilgamesh community out of this thread.

I am going to try my best to not sound even remotely snobbish or elitist here.  So please, read this in your minds as such.  This post is not an attack or a prod, but an actual, honest question and opinion held solely by me from my experience. 

Continued in original post.

So, I'm of a similar mind. I can't understand the concept behind wishing to be on a non-legacy server, especially considering that, as others have said, Gilgamesh (Or whatever server) will be in a similar state as Balmung, within a few months. So then we have two RP servers in a similar state of existence.. Rather than one, where everyone can interact.

Now, I know the reasons people give - Some people don't want to join a server with an already established RP community. They want to develop that community themselves. They want to be someplace where there aren't established storylines, and characters, etc.

Other people want the experience of 'figuring out the game', rather then having people who already have figured out whatever it is those people are talking about. (One of the points I understand least, since they added -a lot- of content for ARR.. Even legacy people are, basically, new to the game.)

Some people have said they don't like the idea of joinign a server with high levels already in existence. They think it'll make finding groups for dungeons harder, and other such things because people are already past them. Again, with it being 2.0, there's a lot of new content and I know -most- of the legacy characters are going to be running through all the content from scratch anyways, to experience it all.

Knowing what people are saying, I don't understand where the feelings are coming from. I'm not saying they're -wrong-, I'm just saying it confuses me. But, ah well.

On to the topic at hand.

As far as griefing goes, it shouldn't matter if the RPers do what RPers are supposed to do in the face of griefing. Two options that are acceptable.

1. Go with the flow. Respond to the griefers in an IC method. I, personally, don't like this method. Feed the troll,a dn the troll will stay.

2. Ignore the griefers. If they don't get the attention they want, they will eventually go away. I've seen many events ruined by griefers, because people are unable to ignore them. If that one little hurdle can be overcome, then.. Again. Feed the troll, the troll will stay. Don't feed it, it will go find food somewhere else.

We made a decision (Besaid/Balmung).. some people just want to run their own communities.

*Secondary. >>;;

Then that tells me that "we" did not actually make a decision.

It was made like 3 years ago.. These people weren't there for it. x_x; When it became an issue recently we pointed out that those on Balmung literally COULDN'T move if they WANTED to, nor was there a good reason to move the RP community to a different server, and they still wanted to be on a server other than Balmung for various reasons. :(

It was made like 3 years ago.. These people weren't there for it.

Then that's not a "we". The RP community is far greater in scope than what it was in 1.0, and while I personally will be rolling on Balmung (unless Squee labels another server with an RP tag), I will point out that no one has any obligation towards the people who played in 1.0.

And this is why I say humans suck at making group decisions. There is always going to be division, and the best bet any of us have towards heading into release with a unified community is for Squee to pull a freaking official RP server out of their asses.

*sigh*

...again, drifting off topic.  Let's try and rerail it again...

As I pointed out, it's not just griefing.  A primary concern is the server becoming overpopulated as a result of those communities and getting locked.  You can't just ignore population server lock.

*sigh*

And as I pointed out, it's not just griefing.  A primary concern is the server becoming overpopulated as a result of those communities and getting locked.  You can't just ignore population server lock.

What do you mean by 'lock?' Is that like a limit to how many characters can exist on a server? Is that... is that really a thing? I thought high population servers in most MMOs just had queue times to get in during peak hours.

*sigh*

And as I pointed out, it's not just griefing.  A primary concern is the server becoming overpopulated as a result of those communities and getting locked.  You can't just ignore population server lock.

What do you mean by 'lock?' Is that like a limit to how many characters can exist on a server? Is that... is that really a thing? I thought high population servers in most MMOs just had queue times to get in during peak hours.

It's a thing but usually the population locks only happen at launch and last a few days before the server opens again.

In the beginning of games, they can lock servers from being rolled on. They do it a lot, even did it for FFXIV 1.0 (Besaid was ocked out for awhile, some people had to roll on the backup server and wait to get on Besaid). It is a thing, but it's mostly a launch concern. After that... well expect queue's

I'm going to be frank. If you don't like what might happen on Gilgamesh, join Balmung. If you don't like Balmung, stick with Gilgamesh. Some people will adamantly stick to Gilgamesh no matter how bad it gets, so trying to move to another server only means those people will be left behind and then we'll have three divides instead of two.

Let me make something perfectly clear before anything devolves further. This site was created with the primary intent to unify RPers onto one server 3 years ago. We have since budged on that and, against the majority's personal wishes, threw support behind a secondary server. And we will continue to support that server as per our promise.

That said, the RPC will absolutely NOT support a third or fourth server. End of story. Now, let me clarify on what I mean by "support." Any RP shell/company can certainly advertise their linkshells in the Linkshell Hall, as has always been the case. But I am not setting up a third subsection of forums, nor will most people here help advertise any third servers to newbies I'm sure, as that goes against the entire purpose of this coalition. If Rpers on Gilgamesh are unified in their decision to change to another server, fine. I can easily mod the Gilgamesh section to whatever. However, if there's no unity behind that decision (which so far there doesn't appear to be), nothing on the RPC's end will change. People can still go to whatever server they want. Nobody can stop them. But the RPC has a purpose behind its existence, and we're not going to keep taking it further and further away from that.

My suggestion is to make this a decision between the already existing Gilgamesh linkshells/companies...both internally and between one another. That will paint a much clearer picture than a public poll like this will. My advice is to hold an "emergency" Gilgamesh linkshell leader meeting of some sort via a skype chat room/AIM/whatever and discuss it internally. Though you'll probably also want to discuss it with the individual members of each Gilgamesh RP shell as well. Either way, good luck.