[Gilgamesh] Why not Behemoth as our non-legacy server?

Should we move from Gilgamesh to Behemoth?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Should we move from Gilgamesh to Behemoth?

• Yes
    • No

*sigh*

...again, drifting off topic.  Let's try and rerail it again...

And as I pointed out, it's not just griefing.  A primary concern is the server becoming overpopulated as a result of those communities and getting locked.  You can't just ignore population server lock.

What do you mean by 'lock?' Is that like a limit to how many characters can exist on a server? Is that... is that really a thing? I thought high population servers in most MMOs just had queue times to get in during peak hours.

While I can't speak to how SE will handle it, I have seen other mmos not only have queues but literally lock character creation from occuring

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was my intent. My intent with this thread was to get the Gilgamesh community talking. If you look at the vote so far, there does appear to be a clear opinion. This thread is being cluttered by Balmung players taking the opportunity to bring up the whole "why not come to Balmung" debate.

I am not trying to nominate a third. The point of this thread is to see if we want to change secondaries. We just need to get this thread back on track to decide that.

While I can't speak to how SE will handle it, I have seen other mmos not only have queues but literally lock character creation from occuring

Wow... yikes. I figured Gilgamesh was going to have queues during the first free month and possibly onward, but if SE does a population lock, that's going to suck for a lot of people who were planning to play on Gilgamesh after Open Beta/Early Access.

Xerek's concerns are valid. There could be pop flooding with 4chan and Reddit coming to Gilgamesh. I played on Cactuar during phase 3 too and the difference in talk clutter was huge.

As an aspiring member of Gilgamesh, I defer to our budding, great group of people's wishes. I'm game to stay or move. Whatever you guys think.

The suggestion that it be discussed between the Gilgamesh players exclusively is a good one, seeing as there are quite a few players out there that aren't members of any LS or FC yet I do think it should stay open but with limited input about Balmung. That's not progressing the conversation.

Wow... yikes. I figured Gilgamesh was going to have queues during the first free month and possibly onward, but if SE does a population lock, that's going to suck for a lot of people who were planning to play on Gilgamesh after Open Beta/Early Access.

They locked character creation on Legacy servers and whatnot early on, so it isn't impossible for them to do so, especially with three (or four, if you include a FFXI players group joining Gilgamesh) major groups joining one server.

All I was looking to do was raise a concern and open up discussion.  I hate a last minute shift like this.  It's a pain we don't need.  But I have been talking to people, a significant number of people, that are bailing on Gilgamesh because of Reddit and 4Chan, be it the communities or the threat of potential server lock.

The Gilgamesh RP community is small as-is, and we're bleeding people here.  Now I know some people on Balmung see this as a good thing because they're catching the people we're losing.  We could be dying out before we even get a chance to begin.  I am committed to this community.  Heck, our guild banner has Gilgamesh himself imposed on it.

This was all to simply spark discussion on the matter.  Nothing more, nothing less.

The Gilgamesh RP community is small as-is, and we're bleeding people here.  Now I know some people on Balmung see this as a good thing because they're catching the people we're losing.  We could be dying out before we even get a chance to begin.  I am committed to this community.  Heck, our guild banner has Gilgamesh himself imposed on it.

Now you know how the Balmung veterans felt when you all decided you didn't want to play with them.

All I was looking to do was raise a concern and open up discussion.  I hate a last minute shift like this.  It's a pain we don't need.  But I have been talking to people, a significant number of people, that are bailing on Gilgamesh because of Reddit and 4Chan, be it the communities or the threat of potential server lock.

This was all to simply spark discussion on the matter.  Nothing more, nothing less.

The Balmung RP community is small as-is, and we're bleeding people here.  Now I know some people on Gilgamesh see this as a good thing because they're catching the people we're losing.

Now you know how the Balmung veterans felt when you all decided you didn't want to play with them.

This this this.  Establishing cliques to stay out of perceived established cliques....Somewhere a Vulcan cries out for his logic....

No matter where you go good luck and have good RP!  I will miss you on Balmung and what could have been but it is a game and you should be happy playing it no matter what server you are on.  Leviathan and Behemoth or any other are just as fine as any other if you desire it to be.

The Balmung RP community is small as-is, and we're bleeding people here.  Now I know some people on Gilgamesh see this as a good thing because they're catching the people we're losing.

I'm going to go ahead and say what Aysun didn't, though she alluded to by the quote. Itallicized for emphasis, too.

Balmung players do -not- see this as a good thing. We do not want the Gilgamesh(Or whatever server) community to fail. If people don't want to play on Balmung, if they want to be on another server as a community, us on Balmung, generally speaking, want them to do well. In no way is the 'bleeding of players' a good thing, rather it be from us who're catching the lost ones, or the Gil-community who is losing them. 

I think, all the Balmung players are saying is that all of the issues with the Gil server won't be an issue on Balmung, and that the Balmung players have always, and will always, welcome those from the other servers with open arms. Strength in numbers, as others have said. A community united, is a community strong.. A community split, is not.

This isn't some sort of.. Competition though. Balmung isn't trying to compete with the other servers to get more RPers.. Five or five hundred, we'll be on Balmung regardless.  Now, I'm not attempting to derail the conversation further - Though it may be seen as that. All I'm attempting to do is to stop the idea that Balmung has some sort of dislike towards those not playing on its server. No more perpetuation of that concept.

Edit: Ha. Just noted Aysun's alteration of words. Sly woman, you. My point still stands.

I'm going to go ahead and say what Aysun didn't, though she alluded to by the quote. Itallicized for emphasis, too.

Balmung players do -not- see this as a good thing. We do not want the Gilgamesh(Or whatever server) community to fail. If people don't want to play on Balmung, if they want to be on another server as a community, us on Balmung, generally speaking, want them to do well. In no way is the 'bleeding of players' a good thing, rather it be from us who're catching the lost ones, or the Gil-community who is losing them. 

I think, all the Balmung players are saying is that all of the issues with the Gil server won't be an issue on Balmung, and that the Balmung players have always, and will always, welcome those from the other servers with open arms. Strength in numbers, as others have said. A community united, is a community strong.. A community split, is not.

This isn't some sort of.. Competition though. Balmung isn't trying to compete with the other servers to get more RPers.. Five or five hundred, we'll be on Balmung regardless.  Now, I'm not attempting to derail the conversation further - Though it may be seen as that. All I'm attempting to do is to stop the idea that Balmung has some sort of dislike towards those not playing on its server. No more perpetuation of that concept.

I was very careful to say *some*.  I will not make sweeping assumptions about the Balmung community, and I know a good number of them wish us well.

Edit: Ha. Just noted Aysun's alteration of words. Sly woman, you. My point still stands.

I may or may not have stolen the idea.

*sigh*

I think this thread has been successfully derailed.

Several people have questioned as to why, if Gilgamesh is not the chosen server anymore, Balmung is not an option. I think if someone acknowledged them and tried to answer that it could go back on topic.

All you are doing is rehashing the question of why we chose not to roll on Balmung in the first place.  This is not a thread for debating the existence of the Gilgamesh community, it is a simple discussion about whether we want to pick a different (non-legacy) server to go to.

Why a separate community exists on Gilgamesh is a question that has been discussed and debated to death here.  Balmung is a valid option for anyone that wants to go there.  Always has been.  But the majority of people that decided to go to Gilgamesh did so because they did not want to go to a legacy server.  It stands to reason those people still don't want to be on a legacy server.

This was supposed to be a thread for Gilgamesh players to discuss whether they think staying on Gilgamesh, warts and all is the better choice, or is picking a new server (such as Bahamut).  It has spiraled into anything but, and that is frustrating.

Like you I'm concerned but I don't want to cause any further confusion I just want to start the game already honestly. I mean I think people arre more worried than they need to be the only thing I can advise at this point is to try out both and see for yourself. As far as server lock goes well I think SE understands what they need to deal with.

And as far as finding an alternate server I recommend labeling the post -Gilgamesh- so it doesn't get flooded with the same tired -why-questions

All you are doing is rehashing the question of why we chose not to roll on Balmung in the first place.  This is not a thread for debating the existence of the Gilgamesh community, it is a simple discussion about whether we want to pick a different (non-legacy) server to go to.

Why a separate community exists on Gilgamesh is a question that has been discussed and debated to death here.  Balmung is a valid option for anyone that wants to go there.  Always has been.  But the majority of people that decided to go to Gilgamesh did so because they did not want to go to a legacy server.  It stands to reason those people still don't want to be on a legacy server.

This was supposed to be a thread for Gilgamesh players to discuss whether they think staying on Gilgamesh, warts and all is the better choice, or is picking a new server (such as Bahamut).  It has spiraled into anything but, and that is frustrating.

And in doing so, in asking if people wish to go to another server.. All the Balmung players are doing, is asking those that went to Gilgamesh if they want to reconsider.

It stands to reason that every server will have it's trolls, its '4chan' and 'reddit' communities. Not in name maybe, but every server will have those types of people.

So all we're doing, is asking the Gilgamesh people to consider it again. I mean..

Look at this way. Waaaay back when Gilgamesh was decided, when it was voted on, people -KNEW- back then that Reddit had made Gilgamesh it's unofficial server. People -KNEW- back then, that 4chan had a fair amount of people rollng that way, too. There were several people posting it through the original poll thread, and several people had brought it up in various other threads.

But now, a week or two before P4, someone decides to voice a concern about this? I think it was, back then. I'm pretty sure people either ignored it, or weren't concerned with it back then. So, if that has changed.. If people are now concerned about that, maybe people will have a change of heart and consider joining the communities.

That's all we're asking, too. Consider it, along with whatever other server choices.

Not to be rude, but for the hundredth time the reason why people aren't automatically rolling on Balmung is that we don't want to play on a Legacy server. Accept that fact. 

That's the only reason why we'd want to pick a Non-Legacy alternative. What else could it possibly be?

Stop trying to jam it down our throats. We know how WONDERFUL AND GREAT Balmung is.

I vote sticking with Gilgamesh.

A lot of people are going to say "DUDE JUST COME TO BALMUNG".

To them I say "No." Why? Because A Realm Reborn is pretty much a NEW game. Why would I want to roll on a realm where everyone is already max level on a brand spanking new game?

If you ask me, Gilgamesh's cesspool like population will make playing more diverse, and therefor? Interesting. There will be griefers no matter which realm we select.

Picking Leviathan, Behemoth, or any other realm instead of Gilgamesh THIS close to launch will only cause MASSIVE confusion.

To them I say "No." Why? Because A Realm Reborn is pretty much a NEW game. Why would I want to roll on a realm where everyone is already max level on a brand spanking new game?

Because that's kind of a bad reason for not wanting to be a part of an RP community, besides I promise you it will only take a few weeks before all the Redditors and 4chaners are max level, long before any RPer is.

What your basically saying here is you don't want to RP with us because we're higher level than you...

Let me make something perfectly clear before anything devolves further. This site was created with the primary intent to unify RPers onto one server 3 years ago. We have since budged on that and, against the majority's personal wishes, threw support behind a secondary server. And we will continue to support that server as per our promise.

That said, the RPC will absolutely NOT support a third or fourth server. End of story. Now, let me clarify on what I mean by "support." Any RP shell/company can certainly advertise their linkshells in the Linkshell Hall, as has always been the case. But I am not setting up a third subsection of forums, nor will most people here help advertise any third servers to newbies I'm sure, as that goes against the entire purpose of this coalition. If Rpers on Gilgamesh are unified in their decision to change to another server, fine. I can easily mod the Gilgamesh section to whatever. However, if there's no unity behind that decision (which so far there doesn't appear to be), nothing on the RPC's end will change. People can still go to whatever server they want. Nobody can stop them. But the RPC has a purpose behind its existence, and we're not going to keep taking it further and further away from that.

My suggestion is to make this a decision between the already existing Gilgamesh linkshells/companies...both internally and between one another. That will paint a much clearer picture than a public poll like this will. My advice is to hold an "emergency" Gilgamesh linkshell leader meeting of some sort via a skype chat room/AIM/whatever and discuss it internally. Though you'll probably also want to discuss it with the individual members of each Gilgamesh RP shell as well. Either way, good luck.

I came in after the vote, but I always wondered something.

Putting the secondary server to a vote seemed to encourage division in the community in the first place. And not to mention, people still aren't happy with that gesture, as the poll clearly shows...

And you're making this hard line on "supporting" servers, even though some of our community--roleplayers as a whole--will be on Gilgamesh, Behemoth, Leviathan, Tonberry, etc.

So... why did you guys never think to just make a subforum for Other Servers instead of just one for Gilgamesh?

Heck, why don't you guys just do that now, so that the RPC staff doesn't have to weigh in on this debacle?

Because that's kind of a bad reason for not wanting to be a part of an RP community, besides I promise you it will only take a few weeks before all the Redditors and 4chaners are max level, long before any RPer is.

What your basically saying here is you don't want to RP with us because we're higher level than you...

Please don't put words in my mouth.

I'm excited because of this game at launch because of just that, it's at LAUNCH. I want the experience of playing with a community that will level alongside me, at least for a time.

A lot of us want a non-legacy realm for just that reason, trail-blazing. I'd love to RP with you guys on Balmung, and your level has NOTHING to do with that.

However, this is first and foremost what? A game. And your level has EVERYTHING to do with me playing with you. I don't want to start on a "brand" new game with a bunch of people already 400 miles ahead of me. I want to build a community.

Now please stop bringing up this matter and get back to the topic at hand. Whether or not people want to stick with Gilgamesh as the non-legacy RP realm.