[Gilgamesh] Why not Behemoth as our non-legacy server?

Should we move from Gilgamesh to Behemoth?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Should we move from Gilgamesh to Behemoth?

• Yes
    • No

The only thing im worried about with Gilgamesh as to why it should be a different server is because of how full its gonna be. Quoting from that thread on the beta forums

"Honestly, you should choose a less populated server. Gilgamesh is projected to be one of the most packed new servers (Reddit, NeoGAF and GameFAQs all have FCs on Gilgamesh)."

Three communitys PLUS the RPers, You are looking at a full server very very quickly.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me make something perfectly clear before anything devolves further. This site was created with the primary intent to unify RPers onto one server 3 years ago. We have since budged on that and, against the majority's personal wishes, threw support behind a secondary server. And we will continue to support that server as per our promise.

That said, the RPC will absolutely NOT support a third or fourth server. End of story. Now, let me clarify on what I mean by "support." Any RP shell/company can certainly advertise their linkshells in the Linkshell Hall, as has always been the case. But I am not setting up a third subsection of forums, nor will most people here help advertise any third servers to newbies I'm sure, as that goes against the entire purpose of this coalition. If Rpers on Gilgamesh are unified in their decision to change to another server, fine. I can easily mod the Gilgamesh section to whatever. However, if there's no unity behind that decision (which so far there doesn't appear to be), nothing on the RPC's end will change. People can still go to whatever server they want. Nobody can stop them. But the RPC has a purpose behind its existence, and we're not going to keep taking it further and further away from that.

My suggestion is to make this a decision between the already existing Gilgamesh linkshells/companies...both internally and between one another. That will paint a much clearer picture than a public poll like this will. My advice is to hold an "emergency" Gilgamesh linkshell leader meeting of some sort via a skype chat room/AIM/whatever and discuss it internally. Though you'll probably also want to discuss it with the individual members of each Gilgamesh RP shell as well. Either way, good luck.

I came in after the vote, but I always wondered something.

Putting the secondary server to a vote seemed to encourage division in the community in the first place. And not to mention, people still aren't happy with that gesture, as the poll clearly shows...

And you're making this hard line on "supporting" servers, even though some of our community--roleplayers as a whole--will be on Gilgamesh, Behemoth, Leviathan, Tonberry, etc.

So... why did you guys never think to just make a subforum for Other Servers instead of just one for Gilgamesh?

Heck, why don't you guys just do that now, so that the RPC staff doesn't have to weigh in on this debacle?

The only reason the topic of leaving Gilgamesh was brought up is because of the Reddit and 4Chan communities, something that was unknown as of the time of the vote.  I hope that clears up the confusion.

And please stop derailing this thread.  It's not about discussing why the Gilgamesh community exists.

The only thing im worried about with Gilgamesh as to why it should be a different server is because of how full its gonna be. Quoting from that thread on the beta forums

"Honestly, you should choose a less populated server. Gilgamesh is projected to be one of the most packed new servers (Reddit, NeoGAF and GameFAQs all have FCs on Gilgamesh)."

Three communitys PLUS the RPers, You are looking at a full server very very quickly.

This.  This right here has been my point all along.

To them I say "No." Why? Because A Realm Reborn is pretty much a NEW game. Why would I want to roll on a realm where everyone is already max level on a brand spanking new game?

Because that's kind of a bad reason for not wanting to be a part of an RP community, besides I promise you it will only take a few weeks before all the Redditors and 4chaners are max level, long before any RPer is.

What your basically saying here is you don't want to RP with us because we're higher level than you...

Please don't put words in my mouth.

I'm excited because of this game at launch because of just that, it's at LAUNCH. I want the experience of playing with a community that will level alongside me, at least for a time.

A lot of us want a non-legacy realm for just that reason, trail-blazing. I'd love to RP with you guys on Balmung, and your level has NOTHING to do with that.

However, this is first and foremost what? A game. And your level has EVERYTHING to do with me playing with you. I don't want to start on a "brand" new game with a bunch of people already 400 miles ahead of me. I want to build a community.

Now please stop bringing up this matter and get back to the topic at hand. Whether or not people want to stick with Gilgamesh as the non-legacy RP realm.

I wasn't putting words in your mouth, I was merely paraphrasing your own words. I've bolding the above quote where you specifically stated you didn't want to be on our server because of our levels.

Also ARR isn't a new game, it's the Cataclysm expansion from WoW. Complete with enormous world destroying dragon and everything.

To them I say "No." Why? Because A Realm Reborn is pretty much a NEW game. Why would I want to roll on a realm where everyone is already max level on a brand spanking new game?

Because that's kind of a bad reason for not wanting to be a part of an RP community, besides I promise you it will only take a few weeks before all the Redditors and 4chaners are max level, long before any RPer is.

What your basically saying here is you don't want to RP with us because we're higher level than you...

I'm excited because of this game at launch because of just that, it's at LAUNCH. I want the experience of playing with a community that will level alongside me, at least for a time.

A lot of us want a non-legacy realm for just that reason, trail-blazing. I'd love to RP with you guys on Balmung, and your level has NOTHING to do with that.

However, this is first and foremost what? A game. And your level has EVERYTHING to do with me playing with you. I don't want to start on a "brand" new game with a bunch of people already 400 miles ahead of me. I want to build a community.

Now please stop bringing up this matter and get back to the topic at hand. Whether or not people want to stick with Gilgamesh as the non-legacy RP realm.

I wasn't putting words in your mouth, I was merely paraphrasing your own words. I've bolding the above quote where you specifically stated you didn't want to be on our server because of our levels.

Also ARR isn't a new game, it's the Cataclysm expansion from WoW. Complete with enormous world destroying dragon and everything.

Cataclysm didn't let people roll on new realms and force high level players to stay on theirs.

I'm an avid WoW player (or I was until I cancelled my sub for FFXIV:ARR a week ago). Had Blizzard done that? I would be doing the same thing.

You are comparing two entirely different entities. Cata was an expansion, A Realm Reborn is a complete revamp of the whole game. Being similar in story does not make them similar in aspect.

And paraphrasing is just as bad as putting words in someone's mouth. You have to assume to paraphrase, and assumptions can be very wrong. Like I said, your level has nothing to do with me wanting to be part of the Balmung RP community, it does however deter me from wanting to play on the realm.

I won't be responding to any other posts on this subject from here, please get back on topic.

Just one more bit to say, as an.. Alternative to this.

People seem to have some great misconception about the Legacy players.

Yes, they are legacy players at 50. No, many of us do NOT have a 50 in every single job.

Yes, this is a -brand new- game. 2.0 has an entirely new story line to what 1.0 was. 

Guess what that means? All those legacy players, with the 50's... And all those legacy players with the 10's, and 20's, and 30's, and everything in between, I can -garuntee- will be redoing all the content.

If I had a 50 (which I don't, and I'm a legacy player), I'd pick a job that I had at level 1, and I'd start over so I can experience all the new content. That's what I'm doing with my level 15 legacy character. Hell, Legacy players -HAVE- to redo the main storyline quests, in order to get the dungeons and such unlocked. You seem to think Legacy servers means no trailblazing... But it's going to be just as much a trailblazing for us, as it is for you. We're just as new to this as you are.. And level matters none, seeing as how there are the buddy systems to bring the 50's down to the lower levels for questing. 

And the fact that the 50's will be rolling low level alts and such to do the content. 

Again, all I'm saying is the LEgacy servers should be given another consideration. No one person in this forum, or any other, speaks for an entire community. The community should be given the chance to consider, not choose from a set of servers dictated by an assumption that no one will want anything else.

My piece is done. I'll bow out of the conversation, seeing as it's quickly turning into an argument and no longer a discussion/debate.

it's going to be just as much a trailblazing for us, as it is for you.

That is where you are 100% completely incorrect.

On a realm where NOBODY has max level characters, if someone is having trouble with something? It'll be get some friends of equal level, and band together to conquer the hurdle.

On a legacy realm? It'll be "Hold on guys, lemme switch to level 50 PLD lel".

Even if a lot of legacy players aren't max level, people will still call max level friends, etc... Sure, this'll happen on non-legacy realms too... Eventually. Not for a little while. I plan to enjoy that while I can.

See the problem?

I think Gilgamesh was chosen because that is where most of the RPers were at during beta, before they opened up the Legacy servers, and those that didn't want to go to Balmung for *insert reason here* got comfortable and decided to stay there

As horrible as it sounds, P4 is right around the corner (I remember reading a hint on FFXIV Core that it would probably be sometime around the 17th) and as much as a switch makes sense at this point (seeing how many other huge communities will be going there and there is an extremely huge possibility that it will be locked out), its kind of too late. I am unsure of how many are actually going to Gilgamesh, but to try to relay this information to all those people in a short amount of time (if they decide to move servers) would just wind up with mass confusion, people going to the wrong server, people getting left behind, etc. 

For those going to Gilgamesh you may just have to tough it out and hope for the best, but know that if things don't go that smoothly there will always be the Legacy server, which hopefully doesn't get locked out as well as I was doing my character transfer from Masamune it said that the server population was very high. This might have just been related to transfer characters though as they would probably want to keep spots open for newly created characters as well. 

And yes Kossori, those people on the beta forum are very horrible people indeed. I haven't logged on there for a long time and all that negative talk about RPers on Gilgamesh reminded me why.

Anyway. Back to the matter at hand.

I wouldn't mind jumping the proverbial ship onto a lower populated server.

I thought Gilgamesh would be the home to the Non-Legacy RP community, but with how OVERWHELMINGLY populated that particular server is compared to literally every other Non-Legacy server, it might be in the 'Gilgamesh Roleplay Communities' best interest to perhaps find another home BEFORE Phase 4 / Open Beta / Head start begins.

The only reason the topic of leaving Gilgamesh was brought up is because of the Reddit and 4Chan communities, something that was unknown as of the time of the vote.  I hope that clears up the confusion.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=2540&pid=30825#pid30825

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=2540&pid=30829#pid30829

It was known, during the poll.

Judging by the fact that the original post had 40 votes for Gilgamesh, I'd say it'll take at least that many for us to officially change it.

Again, please stop derailing this thread.  It's not about discussing why the Gilgamesh community exists.

Just a question btw, Why is your FC on Gilgamesh if you are so opposed to being on Gilgamesh?

He's concerned about how populated the server will be. Major communities all seem to be electing the SAME server.

There are plenty of us still planning to play on Gilgamesh so why not stick around? We have events planned and everything, it's not as if there won't be RP there. If someone is being a douche bag, then put them on ignore. As for "bleeding people left and right", as far as I can tell the Gilgamesh directory has grown significantly.

I'm not the type of person to just walk away from a server because I think people there might not like me or my friends roleplaying. If that were the case no one would roleplay ever. 

Real talk. If you want to roleplay with some cool people on Gilgamesh they will be there. If you want to roleplay with some cool people on Balmung, they will be there. See how the pieces fall after release, and just stick to the plan. Getting cold feet on your wedding day is just embarrassing.

On a realm where NOBODY has max level characters, if someone is having trouble with something? It'll be get some friends of equal level, and band together to conquer the hurdle.

Even if a lot of legacy players aren't max level, people will still call max level friends, etc... Sure, this'll happen on non-legacy realms too... Eventually. Not for a little while. I plan to enjoy that while I can.

See the problem?

Level Sync prevents this.

I'm not sure exactly why a massive pop is a BAD thing. Is lag the concern? Or do the servers lock up after a certain amount of people are online?

Servers can lock, and I'm betting that they will when 4chan, NeoGAF, Reddit, RPC, and a few other groups all try to join the same one.

The debate over whether or not it's reasonable to prefer a non-legacy server over a legacy server is never going to get anywhere. No matter how prejudiced and ill-informed you believe the reasons for wanting to roll on a non-legacy server, the fact of the matter is that server choice is a matter of personal preference that everyone has a right to determine on their own.

That said, I'm imposing a moratorium on any discussion related to the legacy vs non-legacy debate here, and that goes for replying to such discussions as well. If you don't want an off-topic discussion to derail the thread, then please stop responding to it.

Thank you.

I think it's something you could probably leave to the people who're rolling on Gilgamesh after everyone's got a feel for the sever and community. I'm sure there will be sever transfers again at some point after launch, so I honestly don't see it as a huge deal. If, in the small possibility, it turns out that the RP can't thrive because of other internet groups taking over in an non-RP fashion, I'm sure things'll get figured out in the end.

On a legacy realm? It'll be "Hold on guys' date=' lemme switch to level 50 PLD lel".[/quote']

I'm honestly not a person to jump on anyone going specifically to one sever or another; it's really your choice. But, when people just start throwing out false information to try to lure people away from a decisions it honestly comes off as petty.

Anyway, just to clear things up: That's not even kind of how the system is set up. When doing group content outside of FATES (dungeons and what-have-you) you are automatically synched to the appropriate level. Even in FATES, you can outlevel being able to contribute to the progress of the event at all and pretty much have to use the synch feature to participate.

On top of that, there are numerous amounts of people who're going to be leveling classes outside of their mains that haven't been touched at all. I, myself, am going to be starting up Anarchist as well as Gladiator and Thaumaturge, which are barely outside of level 15. So, yeah, this is blatantly false.

But, yeah! I have confidence that those rolling on Gilgamesh will solve any issues as they come. :)

The debate over whether or not it's reasonable to prefer a non-legacy server over a legacy server is never going to get anywhere. No matter how prejudiced and ill-informed you believe anyone's reasons for wanting to roll on a non-legacy server, the fact of the matter is that server choice is a matter of personal preference that everyone has a right to determine on their own.

That said, I'm imposing a moratorium on any discussion related to the legacy vs non-legacy debate here, and that goes for replying to such discussions as well. If you don't want an off-topic discussion to derail the thread, then please stop responding to it.

Thank you.

This is why we love ya.

There are plenty of us still planning to play on Gilgamesh so why not stick around? We have events planned and everything, it's not as if there won't be RP there. If someone is being a douche bag, then put them on ignore. As for "bleeding people left and right", as far as I can tell the Gilgamesh directory has grown significantly.

I'm not the type of person to just walk away from a server because I think people there might not like me or my friends roleplaying. If that were the case no one would roleplay ever. 

Real talk. If you want to roleplay with some cool people on Gilgamesh they will be there. If you want to roleplay with some cool people on Balmung, they will be there. See how the pieces fall after release, and just stick to the plan. Getting cold feet on your wedding day is just embarrassing.

Most people arnt worried about the TYPE of people playing, they are worried about the amount of people playing. Its all well and good wanting to play with RP people but you cant do that if you cant even get in the damn server.

Again, please stop derailing this thread.  It's not about discussing why the Gilgamesh community exists.

Just a question btw, Why is your FC on Gilgamesh if you are so opposed to being on Gilgamesh?

He's concerned about how populated the server will be. Major communities all seem to be electing the SAME server.

I do know that, I was just asking why he doesnt elect to move his FC to a different server.

See the problem?

No.

Most content scales you down to its level anyway, not unlike other games.

EDIT: Someone else already mentioned the Level Sync system. My bad.

Judging by the fact that the original post had 40 votes for Gilgamesh, I'd say it'll take at least that many for us to officially change it.

Forty of you won't get the word out to all of the people on the beta forums and elsewhere who are advertising for the Gilgamesh community, and forty of you won't change the minds of all of those people who are holding fast to the idea of soldiering on into Gilgamesh.

You're well past the point of no return. The community doesn't have a leader or a website, and the RPC admin already told you how you could go about changing what y'all already decided on, and it's not gonna be via a poll.

This thread is looking pretty vain now, don't you think?

I'm not sure exactly why a massive pop is a BAD thing. Is lag the concern? Or do the servers lock up after a certain amount of people are online?

Servers can lock, and I'm betting that they will when 4chan, NeoGAF, Reddit, RPC, and a few other groups all try to join the same one.

I doubt this. Sure those communities are VERY large altogether. But you have to take into account how many people FROM those communities will be playing.

I honestly don't see server load being a huge problem.

I do know that, I was just asking why he doesnt elect to move his FC to a different server.

Perhaps it isn't only his choice? (I'm not familiar with his position in his FC or anything, just stating that perhaps publicly not everything is known.)

I doubt this. Sure those communities are VERY large altogether. But you have to take into account how many people FROM those communities will be playing.

If it was just one or two, I'd not be as concerned about capacity.

Perhaps it isn't only his choice? (I'm not familiar with his position in his FC or anything, just stating that perhaps publicly not everything is known.)

If it was just one or two, I'd not be as concerned about capacity.

[First Response]

I guess thats fair enough if thats his reason

[second Response]

Technically its 4 communitys not including the RPC community