Alternative to Gilgamesh?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fairness, at the time of the vote, I don't think most people knew the plans of other sites -- and those sites may not have even known their own plans yet!

As a Balmungian, I would say that if you're looking to RP and Balmung is unlocked, go ahead and come on over. There's a great RP community on both servers, and I think you'll be happy on either one. Just because Balmung is legacy doesn't mean that the economy is broken, everyone's 50 in all classes, and all the RP is in private cliques -- in fact, with so many new players, I can say that none of those are the case.

In short, I'd rather people play on an unofficial RP server of any sort than not play at all (or be stranded and have to pay for a transfer off later). Both servers want your RP!

Is there a non-legacy server alternative to Gilgamesh?

I'm having doubts about whether they will open Gilgamesh to new character creation.

There is an rp community playing on Behemoth but most of them don't use this site they use the beta forums. Just be patient though the game right now is going through maintenance for three hours when it comes back up I'm sure you will be able to get into Gilgamesh and when you do get in be sure to hit me up for the linkpearls for the chat channels.

Do you have any other information on the RP community on Behemoth?

You guys chose a server that reddit and somethingawful people did to overpopulate more. That doesn't help.

Why did we even choose server that are full of reddit trolls anyways?

Also, I am glad to know that there was ANOTHER error for early access.

You are more than welcome to roll on Balmung to avoid these issues. So far aside from the overpopulation and SE we haven't had many problems with trolls and have been public rping everywhere. Gilgamesh has been great for our recruiting efforts honestly and we are nearly at 100 members on the hub linkshells. More than half of those members came right off the server and have never been here previously, and we have been getting more accolades for being there than problems from the base community so far.

Is there a non-legacy server alternative to Gilgamesh?

I'm having doubts about whether they will open Gilgamesh to new character creation.

There is an rp community playing on Behemoth but most of them don't use this site they use the beta forums. Just be patient though the game right now is going through maintenance for three hours when it comes back up I'm sure you will be able to get into Gilgamesh and when you do get in be sure to hit me up for the linkpearls for the chat channels.

Do you have any other information on the RP community on Behemoth?

Not really I can only suggest heading to the lodestone server forum for Behemoth and putting up a post.

I think it's frankly ridiculous that an alternative to Gilgamesh isn't being declared. Nobody knew about the server load issues at the time of its selection, but it's become obvious now that it's a problem and a serious barrier of access - and more than that, that the problem will continue in the form of long queue times into the foreseeable future, even if character creation is unlocked. It is obvious Square-Enix is struggling with managing their servers, and now is the time to choose and declare an alternative.

Arguments that the people who are on Gilgamesh are having fun, or that the RP community may be splintered are completely immaterial. The reality of the situation is that NOT declaring an alternative server will scatter the RP community across all of the servers that didn't want to put up with Gilgamesh's issues as opposed to separating it into three fairly reasonably sized populations.

More than that, people who have successfully rolled on Balmung and Gilgamesh won't be affected at all! I can't believe the people in this thread who are basically arguing that it's fine because they had a good time. You can continue to have a good time if everyone else who doesn't have the opportunity to play with you knows where to go!

Heh I rolled on both Gil and Bal and they have been locked/ no servers found all day for me.

So I ain't be havin feeern!

They put locks on the server populations making them low until they fix the DF.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/66817-NA-Login-Limitation-After-Emergency-Maintenance-%28Aug.-24%29

I think it's frankly ridiculous that an alternative to Gilgamesh isn't being declared. Nobody knew about the server load issues at the time of its selection, but it's become obvious now that it's a problem and a serious barrier of access - and more than that, that the problem will continue in the form of long queue times into the foreseeable future, even if character creation is unlocked. It is obvious Square-Enix is struggling with managing their servers, and now is the time to choose and declare an alternative.

Arguments that the people who are on Gilgamesh are having fun, or that the RP community may be splintered are completely immaterial. The reality of the situation is that NOT declaring an alternative server will scatter the RP community across all of the servers that didn't want to put up with Gilgamesh's issues as opposed to separating it into three fairly reasonably sized populations.

More than that, people who have successfully rolled on Balmung and Gilgamesh won't be affected at all! I can't believe the people in this thread who are basically arguing that it's fine because they had a good time. You can continue to have a good time if everyone else who doesn't have the opportunity to play with you knows where to go!

She's right you know?

Some of the same arguments for and against Balmung when a secondary server was demanded are now being made by people on Gilgamesh.

It is something I think to be fair that all community members need to consider.  Saying that we don't want to fracture the community anymore is not doing justice to the people who don't want to play on a legacy sever and don't want to play on a heavily populated server.

We should be showing people who post these concerns the same understandings that those who wanted the second server begged for.

This is the state we created by splintering.  It is also now only fair to listen to those who do not desire load times due to high server populations the same as those who demanded a new 'fresh' start on a non-legacy server.

To ignore these calls for another server would be just as bad if we told everyone who didn't want to play on a Legacy server to bug off.

We can't have it both ways.  Once one group of concerns was addressed by naming a second server.  Now because what could be a community that could rival the size of any other (we would not know unless they are given a chance to get into game together on a server) is asking for another server named because of concerns they have, they are not having their concerns addressed.

Please consider these players' pleas in a thoughtful manner.

Thank you.

And my alternative option still stands ...

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=3949&pid=51430#pid51430

Well all servers are being slammed with a low pop cap to test the DF ....

There is nothing wrong with saying "Hey wanna just meet on another server and RP until we can make out people on Balmung or Gilgamesh?"

You can save your character appearance, so that is already a few saved steps for when you make it on Bal or Gil. Then when they come back up, make your char and then continue your RP

I guess for me though, RPing has nothing to do with levels.  I enjoy RPing as much at level 1 here as I do on my level 95 on EQ2.  The only exception is the places you can RP in.  That's it.

Just my 2 cactaurs cactuar.gifcactuar.gif

And my alternative option still stands ...

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=3949&pid=51430#pid51430

Well all servers are being slammed with a low pop cap to test the DF ....

There is nothing wrong with saying "Hey wanna just meet on another server and RP until we can make out people on Balmung or Gilgamesh?"

You can save your character appearance, so that is already a few saved steps for when you make it on Bal or Gil. Then when they come back up, make your char and then continue your RP

I guess for me though, RPing has nothing to do with levels.  I enjoy RPing as much at level 1 here as I do on my level 95 on EQ2.  The only exception is the places you can RP in.  That's it.

Just my 2 cactaurs cactuar.gifcactuar.gif

This is only a viable solution for people who don't mind having a separate character for RPing, with the knowledge that their time will be split, and that character's mobility and physical presentation will be very limited due to mechanical restrictions.

In other words, it's not a very good solution except for a small subset of the population.

I'm just still really confused about why people didn't change the projected server when it was announced that all those other communities would be jumping into Gilgamesh.  Having a high population server is great and all, but having a server with only "RP" attached to it means that, surely, you'll run into more RPers just running around than you would on a massively populated server where we only make up who knows what percent?  At this point, there's almost undoubtedly no way to fix this, given that so many people have already gone and leveled up their characters on Gilgamesh, and despite so many telling us it's fine to roll alts and wait to level up on Gilgamesh, I doubt they'd be willing to give up their playtime to fix the problem.

So the cons of having a third "official" RP server are that people are afraid it will splinter the community further, and it may turn out low pop.

But the pros are that if picking the right server, you'll only have RP attached to it, most likely driving up the raw percentage of roleplayers you encounter, and it'll allow us to bypass these overpopulation issues that're hurting so many of us and our friends already.

I''m currently level 27 on gilgamesh, not the highest, by far, but not the lowest, but I'm perfectly willing to give it up and roll somewhere else to fix these issues.  Not only would we be helping OUR community by finding a third, but we'd be helping Gilgamesh's population woes itself by moving likely quite a few people off the server.

I still like Lamia, but looking at a few others threads, it seems like Faerie and Behemoth are also options.

It'll be best if the HRC doesn't name a third server for RP, but, you don't need their blessing. *Reaches down and yanks a soiled cloth from under a sleeping dog* See this here, its a mantle of leadership. *Quetzac holds it at arms length* Any one of you are more than welcome to take it upon yourself. The HRC allows for Linkshells on other servers on this site. Kay? If I'd wear this thing I think I'd look at those Linkshells already advertising and take those crazy enough to follow me over to their group.

I'm just still really confused about why people didn't change the projected server when it was announced that all those other communities would be jumping into Gilgamesh.  Having a high population server is great and all, but having a server with only "RP" attached to it means that, surely, you'll run into more RPers just running around than you would on a massively populated server where we only make up who knows what percent?  At this point, there's almost undoubtedly no way to fix this, given that so many people have already gone and leveled up their characters on Gilgamesh, and despite so many telling us it's fine to roll alts and wait to level up on Gilgamesh, I doubt they'd be willing to give up their playtime to fix the problem.

So the cons of having a third "official" RP server are that people are afraid it will splinter the community further, and it may turn out low pop.

But the pros are that if picking the right server, you'll only have RP attached to it, most likely driving up the raw percentage of roleplayers you encounter, and it'll allow us to bypass these overpopulation issues that're hurting so many of us and our friends already.

I''m currently level 27 on gilgamesh, not the highest, by far, but not the lowest, but I'm perfectly willing to give it up and roll somewhere else to fix these issues.  Not only would we be helping OUR community by finding a third, but we'd be helping Gilgamesh's population woes itself by moving likely quite a few people off the server.

I still like Lamia.

I admit I can understand why some people wouldn't want to reroll now. I can imagine some people might be left behind too, but I'll be keeping an eye out for an update on these even though I can see it being somewhat unlikely that people will choose to move to Lamia.

Although, I'm more against the idea of a third RP server just because of the segregation. Yes, I made it into Balmung but that's probably because i'm an EU player who can log on outside of peak time.

It's just a little bit awkward because I'm a little bit of an outsider already, and I'm not really involved in either community yet - But I really do want to try and meet new, likeminded people here.

And it's not as easy to do that over three different servers. It was hard enough choosing between Balmung and Gilgamesh, and look what happened there x) I wasn't going to alt on Balmung but there we go. On my part though, if people decide to move to another server then I'll probably throw an alt out there too.

Slightly off-topic there.

What I really mean to say is, while we might want to move to another server now, I imagine it won't work as well in the future when the population dies down a little. I worry that people are getting frustrated with the server issues and population buggery and all sorts, and this is the result of it? I know I'd probably be losing my temper and jumping to these conclusions too if my logins weren't going so smoothly.

...Though the errors do seem to be occurring more for PC players rather than the Ps3 ones? Or am I mistaken? I haven't had a single error on the PS3. :/

Hopefully all of that makes sense though, it's not making much sense to me now that I read it over...

I'd much prefer it if I keep my current characters. I just don't like the feeling of starting all over. I will however, be willing to transfer them to another sever depending on the cost when it is available.

I still don't mind choosing another sever over Gil though. I mean, why were we dead set on it anyway? It's just a server...

I also see the problem of trying to figure out which server is low enough in population to suggest to the role players who are currently staring at a closed character creation or a full World. I haven't seen any way of checking how full or empty a World is and currently it feels that almost all NA/EU Worlds are beginning to reach the population limit.

I am not against a third World to be picked, but it remains a hassle. Even more so with this being early access and the errors being all over the place. The official launch lets in the people who weren't able to preorder (like me) or were too late to do so, adding to the pressure the Worlds are already suffering from. Yoshida has already admitted the Worlds are reaching their limit and warned everyone that removing the limit won't make it any better for anyone. These warnings and heads-ups make it feel like picking a third server is pointless unless you can convince a whole role play population to head over to a Japanese server and also stay there for (perhaps) a few months until SE has managed to work out the kinks and made their servers a whole lot more stronger to handle the player/character capacity.

I don't think the issue here is the players faults or the server of choice. It's Square Enix who underestimated the amount of people that were going to play or just that they weren't prepared for it or the errors occurring. They've had unscheduled maintenance and there have been tons of people not able to play across ALL the servers.

So why would we vote for a new server when most of the other servers are getting hit with the same issues? When I played GW2 I played on Jade Quarry, one of the highest if not THE highest population server and let me tell you it was worth waiting to get in. I never had a shortage of people to do stuff with, there was even a budding RP community there I didn't even know about until I was max level.

I'm not saying don't play the game, if you're willing to suffer through bugs and possibly getting disconnected, or not being able to find as much RP locally then by all means play and try another server. I will however stick by the RPC in that I will not be casting a vote for another server - and I'm a 1.0 non-legacy player who doesn't even get to play this weekend and I pre-ordered the game for double the price the first time it released.

If you're not able to play on Gilgamesh right away, play somewhere else in the meantime. I'm pretty sure Balmung is welcoming people with open arms and yet you guys are sort of turning them down. As people have said character transfers will be made available so if you were sticking to Gilgamesh you could always transfer off of there eventually. Or if you were going to Behemoth and/or Leviathan, it still stands you'll be able to join us not far after launch.

If push comes to shove I am probably moving to Behemoth with a group of friends. (who still despite their best efforts could not get on during phase 4 or now during early access] Pretty sure this was already put to a vote. The sad reality is the community is being split involuntarily and instead of bicker about it we need to act quickly before the other servers fill and we are left out in the cold...again.

Now then to those who are homeless (serverless) what say you to Behemoth where there is already a small group formed?

I'd much prefer it if I keep my current characters. I just don't like the feeling of starting all over. I will however, be willing to transfer them to another sever depending on the cost when it is available.

I still don't mind choosing another sever over Gil though. I mean, why were we dead set on it anyway? It's just a server...

I'd like to know that too. From what I hear one or two other non-RP communities chose Gilgamesh but folks still wanted to go there, for whatever reason. I've just seen enough communities separated across servers before, and they usually disperse into tiny cliques or they just cease to exist.

I'm a little concerned that this Gilgamesh VS might cause something of a conflict. Hopefully not, but I've seen similar situations before - Hopefully the server problem will be resolved soon though.

I'd prefer to move. I have a lot of time invested in my Gilgamesh character but I'd rather give up that time than deal with a splintered community + constant server issues. 

It's important to note that a server with a lower population but a higher ratio of RPers to normal players would be a lot more welcoming to new people when they come, too, because they're a lot more likely to run into random RPers who are happy to show them the ropes. Gilgamesh isn't going to have that advantage - even if they can make a character on there the chances that any given person they run into will be an RPer are very low. And while I don't personally consider trolls a problem, fear of trolls will be - it'll make people a lot more wary about the kind of open RP that'll help people get involved and feel included and encourage people to keep their playing to linkshells/partychats/the like.

Even if we're all on the same server, groups keeping to themselves for fear of trolls will fragment the community more than being on different servers.

I also see the problem of trying to figure out which server is low enough in population to suggest to the role players who are currently staring at a closed character creation or a full World. I haven't seen any way of checking how full or empty a World is and currently it feels that almost all NA/EU Worlds are beginning to reach the population limit.

I am not against a third World to be picked, but it remains a hassle. Even more so with this being early access and the errors being all over the place. The official launch lets in the people who weren't able to preorder (like me) or were too late to do so, adding to the pressure the Worlds are already suffering from. Yoshida has already admitted the Worlds are reaching their limit and warned everyone that removing the limit won't make it any better for anyone. These warnings and heads-ups make it feel like picking a third server is pointless unless you can convince a whole role play population to head over to a Japanese server and also stay there for (perhaps) a few months until SE has managed to work out the kinks and made their servers a whole lot more stronger to handle the player/character capacity.

It's definitely true that we can't know the server population things on other servers, but a little google-fu makes it seem like Faerie, for example, is also popular with the FFXIVrealm website people.  Behemoth as well seems to have a sizable interest from other groups.  Of course, this is all based off the vocal population, which as we know will always be a shadow of the true population.

I'm just waiting the storm out until I can hopefully log onto Gilg and get back to hangin' with the cool kids. Hold tight everyone. D:

If the storm DOESN'T blow over then I'll just see where the chips land. I'm sure it'll be less crazy fairly soon. For now, however: ~one simply has not the time for this!