Alternative to Gilgamesh?

Alrighty!

So originally we placed ourselves on Gilgamesh, but with all the hubub most of my community (IC players and Muggles who don't RP) has settled on Faerie.  We will not be moving when server transfers come up. (I think if I asked my group to move again.. I would have about 50 people lynching me.)

With this in mind, we have a linkshell forming up (as soon as I can get back in), and I have posted the particulars here.  So any of you on Faerie, please come play along.. even if you plan on transferring servers later!  

You may find the particulars here: The Three Tails

Feel free to shoot me an ingame mail, or a tell.. or anything really. ^.^

~Mythie Zhwan

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems a bit detrimental to establish a third server for role-play, especially if the intention isn't to move back over to either Gilgamesh or Balmung when things quieten down. To be blunt I don't think it'll work out very well - the pool of role-players will be very small and if it does grow it'll effectively be through poaching potential role-players from the other two servers.

I disagree, but we are all entitled to our opinions.

Where there are two RPers.. there is story... three, there is epic-ness!  Four.. legendary!  So no matter how small the community, it is still dynamic.. and it is still fun!

There is nothing wrong with rolling on another server.  There is nothing wrong with RPing on a server that isn't unofficially designated.  ^.^ I have a pretty steadfast group of about 10 people.. and we will all be staying on Faerie to play with our OOC community that pretty much refuses to move again.  We tried Gilgamesh.. but it was not fair to our OOC friends to require they wait for nearly a week to create characters.  Thus an alternative for us was born, and it's never a bad thing to invite others to join in!

I couldn't get into Gil or Bal.  So I rolled on Behemoth.  Tried to find RP, but I cannot get into Behemoth now so I moved to Ixion, then I couldn't get in there.  Then to Anima.  Then to Ifrit.  Now I cannot even log in.  Sooooo I'm a go play Starcraft for a bit.  *sigh* 

There is too much dust that needs to settle, I think, before this thread can reach any solid conclusion.  :/

My point is that devoting to a third server works very well as a temporary measure to alleviate some of the strain being put upon Balmung and Gilgamesh. It also allows frustrated role-players to be able to indulge in role-play - and the other aspects of the game - until the server restrictions are lifted and associated issues resolved.

Yet intentional or not role-players that would have otherwise settled upon Balmung and Gilgamesh are effectively being 'poached' in order to settle on a third server. I may be wrong, but last I checked this site wasn't intending to support an additional server which makes this into a rather awkward scenario of 'don't role-play with them, role-play with us!' Perhaps unintentionally, but that's the blunt heart of the matter.

Not to complain, but I'd like a different server. 

This is frustrating to the point where I'm debating not playing at all, but I figure before that I may as well move servers. Are there ANY other servers people are planning to go to RP wise except Balmung/Gilgamesh that wont be so crowded? 

I spent 8-10 hours the past few attempts to login, non-stop, spamming 0, only to get 90k'd and have to repeat it.

"Wait until next week"; that's great, but I'd rather play. So are there alt servers?  If not, which is the LEAST populated JP server? 

Lemme know please? Q w Q??

There are a few posted alternatives, though I'd wager that almost all NA/EU servers are facing this problem right now anyway.

All the people clamoring for alternatives do need to consider long term consequences though. Three months from now, a lot of these "alternatives" will be largely dead in terms of RP activity. That's a fact. People are going to go to new MMOs, like always. Population will drop. And the few RPers that stay behind for the long haul will be left alone. So one really should weigh what's more important to them in the long run: a healthy a vibrant RP community to pull from for years to come? Or progression/gameplay? There's no right or wrong answer. But I swear if I see posts on these forums 2-3 months from now about people crying that they can't find RP, I will literally play the "I told you so" card without hesitation >.>

That said, it's perfectly natural to want to play right now. Temporary alternatives are obviously something people will turn to, with an eye on server transfers coming in mid-September. But I'd give a lot of caution to anyone who looks beyond a temporary resolution and tries to make a permanent one. The RP community WILL take a nosedive in numbers within the next few months. It's natural for every MMO ever made. Everyone will be impacted. But the main RP servers, Balmung and Gilgamesh, will likely be the only ones who will stand practically unharmed in the long run. Just keep that in mind. Hopefully your alternative will be just temporary, depending on how focused you are on RP.

Also, as there are tons of these threads, I'll be merging this one with one of them shortly. Forums are kinda getting out of control lately with the duplicates.

snip

Also, as there are tons of these threads, I'll be merging this one with one of them shortly. Forums are kinda getting out of control lately with the duplicates.

Well, I was moreso hoping for a dead/underpopulated JP server so I can just pay SE to put me back on the RP server later when the game dies down a bit.. but I can see why it's been merged, I suppose. 

I'd honestly rather stay on a dead server for now and pay them a heap of money to transfer later because who knows how long this issue will remain in place- I really truly doubt new servers will resolve the RP server clogging in the coming week. )X

Oh well.

I just thought I'd give a word here that I'm one of those coming on with ARR. I've had a chance to get a character onto Midgardsormr, Adamantoise, Behemoth, Ultros, Goblin, Cactuar, and Faerie since launch, meaning they've opened up long enough to get a new character onto them. I have yet to see Gilgamesh ever open for new characters, even in the wee hours, let alone Balmung.

I've contented myself with base leveling, and I understand where people are coming from about dividing the community long term (especially all the 1.0 people that are well established). I've seen enough about SE opening new servers so that new people have places to go, just like I realize that people will leave after the free to play period is over. Still, I'm reluctant to progress too far on any of the servers I have a character on since I'd like my main to be RP focused, and there's a lot of time and investment in getting to 50.

That said, are there settled "temporary" RP groups on other servers? There's been talk, but nothing for certain I could pick out. Again, I'd prefer it just to be a stop gap, for the sake of more roleplayers as well as to not give ill-will with a divide), but the F2P period was extended, and if things stay congested for a few weeks, that could be dull indeed.

I think the wisdom of choosing another server to start cultivating RP in is that IF Squeenix decides to implement server transfers on time, and IF they decide to make them free for a period of time, I find it EXTREMELY unlikely that they'll let us transfer characters from a less populated server to a server that's been locked down since the first day.

But I think we're going to have a really hard choice to make in a few days or weeks.  Either (a) tell everyone who wasn't cool enough to roll on Gilgamesh to start their characters over if they want to be in a strong RP community.  Or (b) RP'ers on Gilgamesh get over it and opt to take the transfer to a less populated server, grateful that they at least got to keep their progress.

That transition is going to go a lot smoother if there's already a sort of "established" community on the destination server to justify the move, and if the name has already been in people's minds for a bit.

Granted, if they don't implement free transfers, it's my opinion that the RP community's chances of ever having an established "Unofficial" server will have been shot entirely, along with every other community that got split up by the server locks.  So maybe it's all a little moot.