Alternative to Gilgamesh?

What about making a JP server a RP server? (since they seem to have less down time and lower population then the us/eu servers.) Or would there be some negative to that? Besides the higher chance of lag.

Just a thought... Im new to the community and dont want to step on any toes, heh.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about making a JP server a RP server? (since they seem to have less down time and lower population then the us/eu servers.) Or would there be some negative to that? Besides the higher chance of lag.

Just a thought... Im new to the community and dont want to step on any toes, heh.

not a terrible idea.  There will be some hate from the japanese community of english speakers being there, however, it does have the space to accommodate a large population. Hell, if enough RP people head that way, there's a possibility that the majority of english speaking players would be RP players.

I let it pass the first few times. But this is getting ridiculous. There was one post that was borderline whining, so i pointed it out, explaining that what that poster wanted to do would be hard and difficult and it would take more work than "hoping" to get done.

Excuse me? You have made it abundantly clear that you did not even read my posts. Nowhere did I say I was hoping, I was discussing potential solutions in a thread for discussing potential solutions. Rather than rushing on ahead and making my own shiny special RP linkshell on a server without prior organization because that is excatly what I said I am trying to avoid. You've been nothing but rude to me, and even when I've dropped it you're continuing to make shots at me?

Stop playing the victim when you've been nothing but rude, condescending and, with the exception of your latest post, completely unwilling, not just to contribute, but even to let other people discuss things in a topic for discussing things.

Back on topic, I'm not sure a JP server would be a good idea. The lower population point made at the start of this thread is a good one and while I don't think it's a concern for any of the NA servers the JP servers are less populated and there would be a language divide, making the pool of people still smaller. I do think that one of the servers added during P4 would work well - there'll be some very immediate login problems, especially now we've hit launch proper, but none that are likely to last as long as Gilgamesh's. They have no communities associated with them from before P4, for obvious reasons, and while we don't know much about transfers they're the least likely to have transfer restrictions put on them if that turns out to be an issue in the future (and on the very small offchance that people are offered free character transfers - there's been rumours of this but I am sceptical - they're the most likely to be offered because of their lower populations).

I let it pass the first few times. But this is getting ridiculous. There was one post that was borderline whining, so i pointed it out, explaining that what that poster wanted to do would be hard and difficult and it would take more work than "hoping" to get done.

Excuse me? You have made it abundantly clear that you did not even read my posts. Nowhere did I say I was hoping, I was discussing potential solutions in a thread for discussing potential solutions. Rather than rushing on ahead and making my own shiny special RP linkshell on a server without prior organization because that is excatly what I said I am trying to avoid. You've been nothing but rude to me, and even when I've dropped it you're continuing to make shots at me?

Stop playing the victim when you've been nothing but rude, condescending and, with the exception of your latest post, completely unwilling, not just to contribute, but even to let other people discuss things in a topic for discussing things.

Seriously. If you're going to act like a jerk, don't be surprised when people line up to tell you that you're acting like a jerk.

I got tired of waiting 12 hours and just clicked Cactar. I'm just going to take it easy and work on getting my crafting up. Going to just hang out until update 1 or 2 when they drop the server-jump service. Just take it easy and wait it out people.

Yeah I made another char on Coerul (sp) as my husband already had a char there.  Light pop so can have fun if Gil is full

Yeah, my husband and I couldn't get on either RP server all weekend, so we had to roll on Lamia. It sucks, but it is what it is... I don't see the server locks going away for a long time, not until after release and the first free 30 days are over at least. And I would really like to play on my limited time rather than wait for 30 days or keep randomly checking and HOPING I might get to roll a character.

I'll just have to hope we can find a little group of RPers on Lamia and make the best of it.

But hey, if anyone wants to make Lamia the unofficial 3rd RP server, it's hardly ever locked so it's got more room to accommodate, and wouldn't piss off the JP players by rolling on "their" servers.

@Aysun:

I really would like to see you able to endure the rage of inability to play games with your friends for last two days including open beta because of severe errors ._.

Because this is ridiculous. We are in a server full of reddit players that is overpopulating 70% of the population and 20% of other communities and 10% of roleplayers. That doesn't change that this server is beyond the save of allowing people to play on it since it's too populated. It's #1 most over populated server.

I'm ignorant so please excuse me, but how do we know conclusively that all the reddit persons who joined the game during the last open betas actually put money on the game?

Because during the Rift open testing phase, hell yeah the servers were vomiting people back out by test 4, but very few of those persons actually bought the game.  The traffic came from people who loved what they saw by round 2 of beta, pre-ordered, then didn't play until early access.  The reddit masses were probably a tenth to a fifth of the original crowd in beta, if my understanding of the situation is correct.

There's no way to conclusively know the ratio of reddit people, SA people, rpers and people who've just gone to gilgamesh without following a community, beyondf the fact that we do know the size of the Reddit FFXIV community and the people coming from SA is far greater than the amount of people registered here. And honestly it doesn't matter. I don't want to blame reddit or SA for the fact that we're having problems. It's not their fault - they just want to play with their friends like everyone else.

What does matter is that the server is not open to new characters and is unlikely to become open to new characters for some time. When it does open, there's going to be a larger queue of people lining up to make characters there, meaning it may not remain open for long. Character transfers there are likely to have more restrictions. There'll be a drop off in people after 30 days once the time that comes with the game is over, I'm guessing, but I think Gilgamesh will remain heavily populated due to being the home of several very big name free companies that will be starting to advertise more once the drop-off begins. If nothing else, we need to decide on an 'overflow' server and stick with it - I'm hoping we can use this thread to come to a conclusion about which one.

Personally, I am in favour of Faerie. It's a P4-added server, so it has no community attached to it. Plus, and this is just me guessing, I'm banking on the name of it helping to keep away the '14 year old boys who play halo and swear a lot' crowd.

SA people

My ignorance shows again but, who?

Personally, I am in favour of Faerie. It's a P4-added server, so it has no community attached to it. Plus, and this is just me guessing, I'm banking on the name of it helping to keep away the '14 year old boys who play halo and swear a lot' crowd.

If I know the trolls, they'll log into that server in hopes of trolling LGBT groups.  RPers would give them a 'twofer'. In short, trolls will join no matter the name.

I haven't bought the game yet, so I am really not up to speed on the server issues, but I'd think something should be decided before August 31.  Isn't that the scheduled date for a server-wide RP event?  I know I would be disappointed to miss it if I were a legacy RPer (which I'm not, if I wasn't clear before).

SA people

My ignorance shows again but, who?

If I know the trolls, they'll log into that server in hopes of trolling LGBT groups.  RPers would give them a 'twofer'. In short, trolls will join no matter the name.

I haven't bought the game yet, so I am really not up to speed on the server issues, but I'd think something should be decided before August 31.  Isn't that the scheduled date for a server-wide RP event?  I know I would be disappointed to miss it if I were a legacy RPer (which I'm not, if I wasn't clear before).

SA = Something Awful.

http://www.somethingawful.com/

Ah, sorry for being unclear! SA is something awful, the other community we're sharing Gilgamesh with. They're both extremely big communities.

The big LGBT players community is also on Gilgamesh, I believe. A lot of groups laid claim to it (probably because Gilgamesh is the coolest |D).

Personally, I am in favour of Faerie. It's a P4-added server, so it has no community attached to it. Plus, and this is just me guessing, I'm banking on the name of it helping to keep away the '14 year old boys who play halo and There's no way to conclusively know the ratio of reddit people, SA people, rpers and people who've just gone to gilgamesh without following a community, beyondf the fact that we do know the size of the Reddit FFXIV community and the people coming from SA is far greater than the amount of people registered here. And honestly it doesn't matter. I don't want to blame reddit or SA for the fact that we're having problems. It's not their fault - they just want to play with their friends like everyone else.

What does matter is that the server is not open to new characters and is unlikely to become open to new characters for some time. When it does open, there's going to be a larger queue of people lining up to make characters there, meaning it may not remain open for long. Character transfers there are likely to have more restrictions. There'll be a drop off in people after 30 days once the time that comes with the game is over, I'm guessing, but I think Gilgamesh will remain heavily populated due to being the home of several very big name free companies that will be starting to advertise more once the drop-off begins. If nothing else, we need to decide on an 'overflow' server and stick with it - I'm hoping we can use this thread to come to a conclusion about which one.

swear a lot' crowd.

I agree with your assessment and I rather a proactive stance than waiting and being reactive again to avoid such situations. So I can't see why Faerie is not as good as any other. Granted to me it is just a name so I never been one to care in any case, heh. Just want to be able to hang out and enjoy the game with those of a like mind.

Hell, I led a RP guild in FFXI on Garuda and we sure as heck didn't have any to rp with but ourselves but yet it was one of the best experiences I have ever had gaming wise.

So if it is open I shall create a character there this evening.

Personally, I am in favour of Faerie. It's a P4-added server, so it has no community attached to it. Plus, and this is just me guessing, I'm banking on the name of it helping to keep away the '14 year old boys who play halo and There's no way to conclusively know the ratio of reddit people, SA people, rpers and people who've just gone to gilgamesh without following a community, beyondf the fact that we do know the size of the Reddit FFXIV community and the people coming from SA is far greater than the amount of people registered here. And honestly it doesn't matter. I don't want to blame reddit or SA for the fact that we're having problems. It's not their fault - they just want to play with their friends like everyone else.

swear a lot' crowd.

I agree with your assessment and I rather a proactive stance than waiting and being reactive again to avoid such situations. So I can't see why Faerie is not as good as any other. Granted to me it is just a name so I never been one to care in any case, heh. Just want to be able to hang out and enjoy the game with those of a like mind.

Hell, I led a RP guild in FFXI on Garuda and we sure as heck didn't have any to rp with but ourselves but yet it was one of the best experiences I have ever had gaming wise.

So if it is open I shall create a character there this evening.

I already made a character on Balmung intending to RP there, but instead I'll join you guys just get the fat-chocobo rolling down that Faerie hill.

Haha! I'm glad people like the Faerie idea. I won't be able to log in for a few hours yet (my brother plays MMOs as well and when he's playing I have too much lag to play) but once I can feel free to add Cendrillonne Braids (my main, currently in Gridania) or Chumimi Chumi (an alt I made, largely to torment a friend's character, currently in Ul'dah). 

We have a - currently tiny, I don't want to put up anything proper until I'm 100% sure Faerie's a good solution to avoid causing more splits - teeny tiny RP linkshell going on, but I accidentally passed over leadership of it when trying to give another member the ability to invite |D Hopefully I can get that sorted out soon, derp.

Edit: A little more info! They're looking to expand the data centres as early as next week! This one says 'Japan' but since it was posted in the NA announcements section using the NA account, there's a better than even chance that that's a typo and they're planning on expanding both.

The JP servers have been hammered with people since this morning, it seems that most of Asia just didn't preorder/use their EA time.

to avoid causing more splits

Square-Enix kind of already beat us to it when they started limiting players create new characters on the more popular or older realms. I doubt Balmung or Gilgamesh will be open for character transfers until people finally settle down on other, newer servers.

I say it's time to move on and actually play the game than to wait for either of these realms to unlock.

Problem is, those of us who are either Legacy or rolled on either server in Phase 4 are facing either being stuck there or abandoning all their progress. Not to mention their connections to other people in the same situation, unless everyone agrees to do a Mass Migratory Reroll (not gonna happen).

So the solution to just roll elsewhere only works for newcomers, really.

Which sucks for everyone because established players love new blood and newcomers love having stuff already there they can join in (of course, this is a generalization in both cases).

Thing is, P4/early access has only been a few days - Gilgamesh may not open for a few weeks. People who've HAD to go elsewhere may well have made more progress than P4 people have right now by the time Gilgamesh opens up - certainly more than they'll want to give up. If people have their heels dun in after five days, think of how hard it'll be to get people to go back to Gilgamesh when they've been elsewhere for a few weeks.

It's not ideal, but we're not going to get an ideal situation unless Gilgamesh magically becomes empty. Having an unofficial overflow is better than having a lot of isolated 3-4 person linkshells scattered across servers.

Hey all, been following the thread because I am a member of a tightly knit group of about a dozen or so roleplayers. Sadly despite me an a few others being on both Gilgamesh and Balmung, the rest of our group could not manage to roll on the servers before the lockout due to downloads being either too slow, or real life taking its toll. With everyone else being a bit scattered I am going to agree with the last few posters...we're going to Faerie, likely not permanently, if we can get ourselves to Balmung we likely will end up there in the future. However reality as of current does not allow this possibility. So we are going to be heading to Faerie to try and establish whatever semblance of an RP community there. We hate to fracture the community more than anyone else, but in this situation we have little to no choice.

We are all here to have fun at the end of the day, and we can't stand the fact that others in our group are sitting on the sidelines in a furious rage. I hope they do something about letting us get on Balmung or even Gilgamesh soon, otherwise we will be remaining on Faerie.

EDIT -  Well then...that was something else. As soon as we went to roll...no more servers accepting new players. That is awkward.

Hey all, been following the thread because I am a member of a tightly knit group of about a dozen or so roleplayers. Sadly despite me an a few others being on both Gilgamesh and Balmung, the rest of our group could not manage to roll on the servers before the lockout due to downloads being either too slow, or real life taking its toll. With everyone else being a bit scattered I am going to agree with the last few posters...we're going to Faerie, likely not permanently, if we can get ourselves to Balmung we likely will end up there in the future. However reality as of current does not allow this possibility. So we are going to be heading to Faerie to try and establish whatever semblance of an RP community there. We hate to fracture the community more than anyone else, but in this situation we have little to no choice.

We are all here to have fun at the end of the day, and we can't stand the fact that others in our group are sitting on the sidelines in a furious rage. I hope they do something about letting us get on Balmung or even Gilgamesh soon, otherwise we will be remaining on Faerie.

I would hope others would join us, if so please message Nanaula Naula. We will post up more contacts as the character names become available. I hope to see other roleplayers until then (I'm not trying to steal, just generating a home for those that do not have one) but I wouldn't argue an alt or two to say hello to those not able to move to the designated servers!

Currently it seems as if Faerie is also closed to new character creation. I tried to make an alt there after getting repeated 1017's on Gil. (And I would have rolled on Balmung but all NA/EU servers are grey now)

Anybody up for setting up on a Japanese server and calling it a day?

Faerie'll improve later tonight, I'm fairly sure. All the servers are going to be hit hard today - it's launch day.

The JP servers aren't much better right now, as far as I'm aware. They were empty during Early Access but they've been hit by a lot of people very suddenly during official launch.