The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central)

YesGood

What do you do at the tournament?  

250 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do at the tournament?

By some quirk of fate and a lot of me not thinking it through, last night I took the one character I have that would NEVER pass up a chance to fight. So after a year of spectating, I finally participated. lol. Had a good time, would recommend. 5/7

:moogle:

And of course, I was assigned to Flameson first match. >..>; Felt like a terrier trying to bark down the mountain...

b09751add3.jpg

And so, Grindstone #167, give or take, is concluded! We had a respectable 56 people turn up for combat in Fesca's Wash and we're happy to have encouraged a decent series of conflicts!

Of course, once all is said and done there can only be one winner! After nearly four hours of brawling, we turned up a champion in the Sergeant Gervesin Redsteele, a BRASS BLADE?!?!

poMObQ5.jpg

As a small aside: I'd like to once again point out that the Grindstone is maintained by viewers like you a determined set of volunteers who turn up each and every week to make sure this event runs smoothly. The number of competitors outnumbers the amount of healers and overseers by magnitudes, and we try our best to make everyone's experiences smooth and devoid of troubles or bumps. Sometimes that's not possible, and we're sorry when that's the case!

The folks who make the Grindstone run on time (I am easily the least of them) appreciate your understanding!

Grindstone #168 (give or take, but holy shit that's a number!)

55 fighters!

4 districts!

1 champion!

Congratulations to first-time competitor Laurienna Eclipse, for blocking out the rest of the fighters to capture yet another debut win!

bXtivZp.jpg

As a reminder to everyone: We will be hosting Twas The Fight Before Christmas next week! If you've got time to spend on the eve of the holiday, we have a venue for you! Turn up in your festive brightest and see what comes about! You might even end up fighting Santa himself!

Grindstone continued on, and we Beat our way into the New Year!

47 entered, only one came out on top.

Congratulations to Takeshi Satoshi on being the Last victor of 2016, and the First of 2017. Hey, it was nearly 2:30 EST when we ended afterall.

ffxiv_01012017_021713_zpsuppgkpl0.png

Special thanks to Togy Brandmakt for coming back to help with the Grindstone this evening and to Gegeruza Xixiruza for offering the Grindstone assistance before we even started for the evening. Help me out in more ways then just showing up.

Of course thanks to everybody for showing up and helping, fighting, or just plain watching the Grindstone unfold.

Now if you excuse me... Bed's calling...

WHAT'S UP BITCHES, I'M BACK FROM VACATION AND THE HELL THAT IS TRYING TO FLY OUT OF FLORIDA A DAY AFTER A SHOOTING THAT KILLS 5 PEOPLE. ASK ME ABOUT IT SOMETIME.

The Grindstone hosted 59 fighters tonight! Our champion ended up being a repeat offender again, congratulations to Percival Turner on his like 154th win! He bested his clonetwin Orwin Lannis to take home the crown and purse.

GXedVMa.jpg

Bonus screenshot: This is what happens when two people select the same character in a fighting game.

Au8bsCf.jpg

And as a warning reminder heads-up! The next fight auction will be held February 4th! Get excited the the Saint Valentione's Massacre II!

Another Saturday night, another Grindstone! 60 people packed the Wash tonight to beat the shit out of each other and ultimately, as always, there can only be one winner! Tonight it was none other than Honus Himself!

pKuDckJ.jpg

Tonight marked the return of GRINDSTONE BINGO! I'm taking suggestions of what to place in the panels and it turned out to be a spot of fun for both fighters and spectators. I'm going to revise the cards in the future and maybe we'll do some kind of prize for them? Let me know what you think!

As a reminder! February 4th is our next stop in the Grindstone fundraiser challenge! The Saint Valentione's Massacre II is just waiting to come to fruition, and we have some fun in store!

ffxiv_01282017_214856_zpsas4mbvol.png

As you can see, we were one muscular Highlander family down this evening, but the show had to go on! Tonight we had the Crystal Chronicle newspaper watching us and recording the events as they transpired. More on this when they put their findings to print! Without further ado, Fifty people entered the fray, but only one person came out on top! Congratulations to the winner of the 174th Grindstone; Livicette Rillemont!

Livicette%20Rillemont_zpsjypblulh.png

AS A REMINDER; The Grindstone coffers are running low, so it's that time again! That's right, it's time to bid for your first fights, or bid to face the Overseers! Information on next weeks Grindstone can be found HERE and we look forward to seeing you all there!

As I write this the end of the Saint Valentione's Day Massacre II: Massacre Harder is coming to a close. The formal tournament had a raucous 84 people show up to fight in what is now recorded as the largest Grindstone tournament ever.

The community continued their incredibly outpouring of support for our/their event and brought in over 20,000,000 gil to further the winnings for future champions in the months to come. I can honestly say that I've never seen anything to this degree in an MMO before, and we'll have managed something like 50 million gil once this haul is distributed.

Congratulations to our winner of the tournament tonight, Mathias Renderra! He's the reigning champ of the biggest set of competitors ever.

Vb5C4E5.jpg

Additional special thanks:

The wonderful folks over at The Crystal Chronicle who have been working hard to cover numerous events and going-ons about the server! They're looking for any brave souls who might be willing to join their staff and help cover the numerous combat sports that have cropped up around the server, so please check them out and support them!

The wonderful team of healers and overseers that do all of the hard work at the Grindstone! I beat this drum a lot but it cannot be overstated: The Grindstone runs smoothly because of the dedicated volunteers who donate their time and attention on the weekend to making sure the environment continues to provide room for those interested.

That leaves, obviously, all of you: The fighters, the spectators, the people who stumble on the giant army in Central Thanalan and the people who turn up in mass each and every week to support, take part and help make the Grindstone what it is. I will continue to sing the praises of everyone who comes out and spends time with us. And we hope to continue to give everyone a space to beat the shit out of each other at the behest of people yelling from atop horses, stones and hills.

maxresdefault.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

And now I'm back! From outer space! I just walked in to find that same look upon your face! You know, the Grindstone-just-ended-and-we-want-to-know-what-happened look.

Congratulations to the just-debuted new champion Mugen Branwen! He overcame 61 other fighters to get to the top of the heap this week!

LTDbFuK.jpg

Congratulations to last week's champion as well, Wanderer Gadieo! I wasn't present and don't have a screenshot THANKS TO THE AMAZING COVERAGE OVER AT The Crystal Chronicle! Props to Deidra for the tip-off.

The-Wanderer2.png

Many, infinite thanks for the dedicated staff of overseers and healers who were able to run the Grindstone without me! It's pleasant to know it's in good hands.

And as a summary of out latest fundraiser night: The generous Grindstone community contributed a whopping 21,000,000 gil to carry the Grindstone's prize pot back into July of this year! Holy shit!