What Characters Inspired Your Character?

Kheni'to

For any that wish to share inspirations for their character please do :)

I know we all wish our characters to be totally unique, but I would assume most of us have at least some aspects of our character inspired by other characters from fiction (Or perhaps non-fiction!?).

However, if you managed to come up with a totally original character, I applaud you. Tell us how you did it?

My character has aspects of my own personality, but also influence from Squall Leonhart (Final Fantasy 8) and Gray Fullbuster (Fairy Tail). 

300x600http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101216073755/finalfantasy/images/d/d9/Dissidia_Squall.png[/img]

400x650http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120505100250/fairytail/images/9/9b/Gray_casts_his_magic.png[/img]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raeras is based somewhat off of my Assassin in Aion, who goes by the same first name (Valhalla is my Aion cleric's last name xD), though this Raeras is a little more reserved and doesn't like killing people unless it's absolutely necessary. The other Rae really has no qualms with that unless it's someone she knows, etc

I guess I see FFXIV as a too innocent and warm game, so Miyazaki heroines were my inspiration for creating my main character Clover.

For K'mih I didn't take inspiration from any character in particular.

Yesssss <3 Miyazaki.

Also, I love 'lighter' RP myself, and tend not to stray too far into dark territory.

my own OC from years ago. ^^; I think my inspiration for that original character was Numair from the Immortal series.. though this character in FF is a mix of that OC and another OC of mine not sure my 2nd oc had a role model so to say...

I pull from a lot of real life experiences/interactions from previous RP's.  I have to heavily alter them though from game to game (since things that happen in WoW or TOR obviously don't make sense for FFXIV or from my own writing/D&D or WoD games).

When I see games or anime that I really enjoy though I tend to find characters that remind me of my own.

Parn captured a lot of the ideas I had for Brave as a youth

ParnandDeed_zpse288086f.jpg

And... well I guess I should put this as a spoiler for anyone reading/watching the Fate seties (Stay Night, Zero, Unlimited Blade works etc.  The spoiler pertains to Shiro)

Fate_Stay_Night_BG_WIP_by_Univenon.png

archer_zpsd4358559.jpg

The "transformation" (or really just the story) of how Shiro becomes Archer had a lot of similarities.  In case you're wondering which arc fit him best, I'd say the Unlimited Blade Works arc did.  When I saw Fate/ Stay Night though, I instantly fell in love with it because it felt like some had been looking over my shoulder when RPing/writing and then made an anime about it in their own universe lol.

For my main, the only direct inspiration comes from a few older characters that I really enjoyed playing.  She's not a direct copy of either of them, but certain aspects of their histories and personality were used as building blocks for creating the character.  

I can't honestly say that other characters didn't indirectly provide inspiration, but I didn't use anything of other characters intentionally.  

On the other hand, I have an alt idea that is loosely inspired by a few characters including Richard from the webcomic "Looking for Group", Haruko from FLCL, Nai and Mea of Magiranger and G'nort the Green Lantern.  It might seem like an odd group of inspiration for one character, but it works in my head (although to be fair, I'm a bit odd, so that could be why :blush: ).

While generally the backround and behavior of my character is of my own design I will admit that his physical appearance was inspired by Kain Highwind.  Though his RP storyline has been somewhat influenced by Siegfriend Schtauffen from the Soul Calibur as I realized there are a few similarities between the characters.....I think.

Kain_%28Dissidia_012%29.png

siegfried1.jpg

C'kayah was inspired somewhat by the Grey Mouser (from the Fritz Leiber stories), a little by Jack Harkness ('cos, c'mon, who doesn't like Captain Jack?). While I originally rolled him as a C-tribe miqo just randomly, I then discovered C'io Bekht's biography in the wiki, which started me down the path of discovering miqo and C-tribe culture. So, yeah. Definite inspiration there, too.

Jack Harkness ('cos, c'mon, who doesn't like Captain Jack?)

He used to be one of my favorite characters in the Doctor Who world, but ever since what he did at the end of "Children of Earth"...   I mean I get it, I really do.  I don't hate the character because he was trying to save all those kids, but it still left a mark on how I have seen the character ever since.

On the other hand, I've been sorely tempted to make a character loosely inspired by his ex-partner John Hart.  Not that much different in some aspects, but a little less good guy compared to Jack.  Plus everything sounds cooler when you imagine it said in the voice of James Marsters.

:lol:

I've been sorely tempted to make a character loosely inspired by his ex-partner John Hart.  Not that much different in some aspects, but a little less good guy compared to Jack.  Plus everything sounds cooler when you imagine it said in the voice of James Marsters.

:lol:

Oh, you so should! I've had the biggest mancrush on him ever since Buffy!

Corky!

I actually only decided that looong after Darien was built and well into development, but I like it. Yes, I do.

I have never heard of this show, but now I want to watch it.

I didn't base Denn off of anyone. It was just an idea I had that popped in my head, but Cyrinius is based off of Zhang He, from the Dynasty Warrior series. 

Zhang_He_y_Xiahou_Yuan_01_by_CarmenMCS.jpg

I think of my main character (Ame) as someone similar to Marisa Kirisame, in that she is ambitious and clever -- especially in magic -- but not talented with anything. Though, Ame is not as selfish and crass as Marisa.

But that was my initial impression of Ame; like with most of you, as time went by I found my characters growing into their own selves.

Untitled.thumb.png.21c70c255d69840c37d75b6a2c046ec6.png

I suppose the most obvious point of comparison for Aumeric is a gentle riff on the concept of Princess Garnet in FFIX- the self-kidnapped "princess", a summoner who runs off with a shady group of actors who may or may not also be thieves. Of course, Aumeric is male, not literally royalty, and hardly at the center of the kind of plot that Garnet was caught up in. 

His overall persona of wonderment at the world beyond his restrictive home was, shall we say, very much pulled from Disney princesses. There's a good bit of Ariel and Rapunzel in him, though I think a debt is also owed to Estelle from Tales of Vesperia, a naive and bookish runaway princess created in the exact same mold Aumeric was. It's a little harder to point to male characters that actually influenced him, though! He does slot in nicely to the "reluctant heir" archetype I'm fairly attached to, primarily characterized in my mind by Miharu Rokujou, the protagonist of the anime/manga "Nabari no Ou".

Visually, he didn't have any concrete outside inspiration. I just like silver-haired prettyboys, so his design was mostly a matter of personal appeal.

I honestly didn't have any specific inspiration in creating Teveriel, but in his personality I can see shadows of Raistlin Majere (Dragonlance), Etienne Navarre (Ladyhawke), and al'Lan Mandragoran (Wheel of Time).

Raistlin and Navarre? There should be and implosion happening any moment between your ears. Just calling that now. Also, a fan of Al'lan, but no where near the other two. Seriously . . . people should take cover around you because those two should split your melon wide open as they duke it out.

Hum, that's a toughy. Khyros is a pretty complicated character when you get down to it. The only characters that spring to mind off-hand when I think about who may have inspired him are the Arthurian Galahad, despite not living up to the mythical purity of that figure, obviously. He also takes some cues when it comes to inner conflict from Shinmen Takezo from Vagabond. Physically, psychologically, and even personality-wise, the biggest influence I can think of from media that I've indulged in recently would have to be Yasuri Shichika of Katanagatari.

Corky!

I actually only decided that looong after Darien was built and well into development, but I like it. Yes, I do.

I have never heard of this show, but now I want to watch it.

I've only seen a couple episodes. Which were awesome. Perhaps I should start watching it. While I have some time on my hands. It's been canceled, apparently, though, so you won't have to go through more than a couple seasons. :P

"You said it would only be Barnum's and the docks that would burn."

"Our cause is just."

"But your means are not."

HELLO EXACTLY

"He wants mayhem? Let's give him mayhem."

"Detective, you have a remarkable tendency to always take things one step further than needed."

"Careful, Corcoran. Donovan's not a man to be trifled with."

"Movin' on... Not really my specialty."

WHERE HAVE I HEARD ALL THIS BEFORE? WHY DOES THIS SEEM SO FAMILIAR? This Donovan guy, who used to be with them, who wants to "clean things up"? Because they're... filthy? BAHAHA!

It was the scene at 20s here that sold me, though.

[video=youtube]

/shameless self-promotion

I honestly didn't have any specific inspiration in creating Teveriel, but in his personality I can see shadows of Raistlin Majere (Dragonlance), Etienne Navarre (Ladyhawke), and al'Lan Mandragoran (Wheel of Time).

Raistlin and Navarre? There should be and implosion happening any moment between your ears. Just calling that now. Also, a fan of Al'lan, but no where near the other two. Seriously . . . people should take cover around you because those two should split your melon wide open as they duke it out.

RP with me, Skaen!