Guns in 2.1?

LeCard

As excited as i want to be when i watched the video the one using the gun seemed to be a boss in the dungeon, however this does indicate the animations and skill sets for such a class are there just not yet implemented on a player character basis yet. Of course though i could be wrong and get a nice surprise when the patch hits but i am not too optimistic of it

I think there's no question on whether or not we'll be getting Musketeer - it's coming. They've even gone so far as to include the guild insignia along with the rest of them in-game. (For example, you can choose it while designing a FC crest, along with the rest of the guilds)

They've spoken about it, and the community hasn't really ever piped down on it, so you can be certain they're well aware of the want for the class.

That being said, that is a boss they're fighting in Pharos Sirius, but yes, Musketeer will almost certainly be in-game at some point.

I realize its a pipe dream, but I'm really hoping for at least confirmation of a Musketeer in 2.1. I'm tired of making excuses for my Garlean not to pull out her gun and shoot people ><

The odds of them adding a new job before an expansion are extremely slim.  Additionally, if they were adding a new job in 2.1, we would already know about it.

They've been teasing us with the pistols since 1.0 - I have an image of Claire from a 1.0 cut scene where you get to toy around with a pistol. The animations have been there, the NPCs back then even used them, though they were all non-combat back then. Merlwyb has been flaunting her pistols at us for a while as well too, along with other things she flaunts.

But yes, they're teasing us even more now. When we were designing a FC crest, there was a lot of "Why the hell is that job/class icon there when it's not even in the game yet?!"/"Why to c***tease, Squeenix!" comments happening. They're showing us the mechanics now, so it's really only a matter of time - hell, I noticed that at one point during the Lightning fates, she stops and shoots the Armoured Beast and my first thought was "Squeenix, that's not fair - I want my gun!".

It won't be 2.1, I really don't see them giving us that huge of a surprise even though it is close to Christmas. I don't think it would even be 2.2 or 2.3 since they've already basically laid out what's going to be in those two patches as well. I do think that they might be one of the first new classes/jobs to be brought into the game though. Especially after seeing those combat NPCs using them.

I highly doubt that it would come out in a patch. Stuff like new classes/jobs and races and such are mainly released alongside the release of a new expansion of the mmo game.. I've never seen a mmo release new classes or races via patch.

City of Heroes released several archetypes (their version of classes) via patch. Early on in the game the Warshade and Peacebringer were released (I believe with the patch that also increased the level cap from 40 to 50). Much later, the Widow and Arachnos Soldier were also released, all for free. But then again, City of Heroes often released major updates like that for free. They only ever charged for two expansion type things- one which included FIVE new classes, as well as an entirely new set of levelling zones to play with (the Villains expansion) and another, somewhat smaller one that added a new set of newbie zones and newbie experience, as well as the ability to betray/redeem alignments to the other faction (the Going Rogue expansion).

If it sounds like I miss the game, I do :( But there is precedent for classes, at least, being released with no strings attached via update rather than an expansion.

Considering that alot of the stuff these first patches are adding is stuff that was talked about being in the game even durring beta(but either didn't make it due to time or because it just wasn't important enough to get that in yet.) I could easily see this type of class being added in a patch.

Then remember that Musketeer has been "on the roster" of classes we were supposed to have received even way back in 1.0. So, adding a class/job like that (which would also finally give Limsa 3 classes like the rest of the City-states) I could easily seem them sneaking it in an update since there isn't really any super secret Lore behind getting it into the game, it already is(we just can't have it as a player yet because of mechanics, not lore).

Other things like Samurai/Ninja/Dark Knight/ etc. would require a new set of lore behind why we haven't seen anyone wielding it yet, maybe even a whole new region of Hydaelyn to explore. I can see needing an expansion for big updates to lore like that, but for something that is all around us already(especially in Limsa) I don't see them needing to wait for an expansion to throw that bone to us.

Yeah, but it would also require new gear in Coils (since the DPS gear is actually locked to classes in terms of who can roll Need), probably new Darklight gear, and new sets in Crystal Tower.  Plus balancing with all of the other classes, etc.

I mean, sure, maybe something will be in a patch, but don't forget the amount of tuning that would have to be done to make it work.