Yellowjacket Lore

Okay.,...seeing as how I am at work, looking up lore stuff will give me a death screen, I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the Yellowjacket lore? And maybe this can be a good repository for that info for others that are interested.

I know the uniforms based on what I can see in the city, but other details would be awesome.

Like, for instance, I see many with axes. Are they all Marauders or Warriors?  Are they all Roes? I know in the Maelstrom I have seen Lalas (in Aleport), but every image I pull up shows the Yellowjackets as Roes.

And rank structure. As a veteran I have my own idea of ranks, but would that translate here or does it mirror the Sultansworn (i.e. Captain Jenlys counterpart in Limsa)?

So any info or links or ideas here would be awesome. Like I said, that way this thread can be a good resource for anyone interested in rp'ing as one or just for a better understanding of their role in the city. :)

Lore I will have to be more awake for.. just woke up x.x

I've seen some hyur and lalafell Jackets if I remember right from little side quests and stories. Don't recall on elezen or miq'ote.. though I doubt the group is biased towards anyone willing to help their cause really.. probably roes and hyur are more common to the area then  the other races?

Also after offering to help you get the items together for the uniforms the other day.. it did cross my mind there might have been a few different types of uniforms. >-> I have to go through my story quests to see if I can't find if I remember right or not.

Random link.. though information seems scarce like everything else lore wise:

http://orcz.com/FFXIV_ARR:_Yellowjacket

I've seen some hyur and lalafell Jackets if I remember right from little side quests and stories. Don't recall on elezen or miq'ote.. though I doubt the group is biased towards anyone willing to help their cause really.. probably roes and hyur are more common to the area then  the other races?

Also after offering to help you get the items together for the uniforms the other day.. it did cross my mind there might have been a few different types of uniforms. >-> I have to go through my story quests to see if I can't find if I remember right or not.

I think I can also recall a lalafell but I need to take a walk again around the city and see. Maybe head around the La Noscea points to see everyone and have a better grasp. Part of my question there is just general knowledge....the other part is selfish. Hehe! I need to determine what do if I drink that fantasia when I reboot Melodia and so of course the 1001 questions I have of race come into it. Femroe? Miqo'te? Hyur? Elezen? Hmmmmmm.....lol.

probably roes and hyur are more common to the area then  the other races?

This, most likely.

I've seen all races in Ul'dah as Blades, Flames, and Sworn. But Ul'dah has probably the largest mixed race population of all the city states. Ishgard has probably the lowest.

As for rankings, if they are akin to the Brass Blades it is probably a sort of police-force style of ranks. Officer, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain. Unless you find one in-game referred to as a higher rank than Captain.

The Sultansworn are a bit different in that they have no real ranks from what I gather. They are led by the Captain, and there is one other "Grand Master" which is probably akin to a Sergeant Major.

probably roes and hyur are more common to the area then  the other races?

This, most likely.

I've seen all races in Ul'dah as Blades, Flames, and Sworn.  But Ul'dah has probably the largest mixed race population of all the city states.  Ishgard has probably the lowest.

LOL! Then if that's the case I will need to do something. Having a high ranking law enforcement person who is a red headed female Hyur (Melodia currently)....seems like it's being done already. :lol:

law enforcement person who is a red headed female Hyur

Dem redheads. Am I right Roen?

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't overly worry about race makeup in the organization. The whole game seems to be fairly... fair... about that sort of thing, if that makes sense. The Commander of the Maelstrom is a Miqo'te if I remember correctly.

I've got virtually nothing to provide lore-wise, but I am armed to the teeth with rampant speculation!

The Yellowjackets, Brass Blades and Wood Wailers all seem to fill the same role: They're law enforcement without being military. You asked about all Jackets being Marauders and while I don't think it's a rule... I think it's telling that the Blades all use sword and Wailers all use lances.

How convenient! The MRD guild is in Limsa, and the GLD guild shares home with the Blades, and Wailers come from the same fields as the LNC guild. It's not unreasonable to assume that many of the rank-and-file are just folks from the city guilds who got picked up into duty. Brass Blades use swords because swordplay is familiar in Ul'dah. I imagine the Jackets use axes for the same reasons.

I can see the posters now. "Tired of swinging that axe to chop wood? Wish you could make more than 50 gil for clearing out wharf rats? SIGN UP AND PUT ON THE YELLOW JACKET."

There's also the meta that you want new players to see familiar things; If you picked MRD for your first character and then got to see all these awesome lance or pug animations... I think there's a degree of YOU PICKED AXES? WELL AXES ARE THE MOST AWESOME THING, DIG THESE CONALS going on.

I'm more of running around trying to find er.. I guess rank outfits. So far only found one and I'll upload it in a bit when I get a moment. Though the only real difference is a red helm and higher level leather boots from what I could tell.

I've got virtually nothing to provide lore-wise, but I am armed to the teeth with rampant speculation!

The Yellowjackets, Brass Blades and Wood Wailers all seem to fill the same role: They're law enforcement without being military. You asked about all Jackets being Marauders and while I don't think it's a rule... I think it's telling that the Blades all use sword and Wailers all use lances.

How convenient! The MRD guild is in Limsa, and the GLD guild shares home with the Blades, and Wailers come from the same fields as the LNC guild. It's not unreasonable to assume that many of the rank-and-file are just folks from the city guilds who got picked up into duty. Brass Blades use swords because swordplay is familiar in Ul'dah. I imagine the Jackets use axes for the same reasons.

I can see the posters now. "Tired of swinging that axe to chop wood? Wish you could make more than 50 gil for clearing out wharf rats? SIGN UP AND PUT ON THE YELLOW JACKET."

There's also the meta that you want new players to see familiar things; If you picked MRD for your first character and then got to see all these awesome lance or pug animations... I think there's a degree of YOU PICKED AXES? WELL AXES ARE THE MOST AWESOME THING, DIG THESE CONALS going on.

LMAO!!! This post made me literally "lol"

I'm more of running around trying to find er.. I guess rank outfits. So far only found one and I'll upload it in a bit when I get a moment. Though the only real difference is a red helm and higher level leather boots from what I could tell.

Cool. I think the uniform actually isn't that bad. Like with the Sultansworn it's rough because you have to get that 50 paladin AF armor to do it right (lol unless you are always off duty. xD ).

No the normal uniform isnt that bad i think the 2nd uniform I found still is only like goat leather maybe boar.. i'll have to check. All it really does is makes the boots a bit darker ...lol

In regards to race spreading out-ness, copying a snip from my post in your Eorzea as a whole thread.

Removing midlanders as they're everywhere... Ul'dah has highlanders (from Ala Mhigo), Dunesfolk, Hellsguard, and Seekers. Limsa has Plainsfolk, Seekers and Sea Wolves. Gridania has Wildwoods and Keepers. Duskwights are technically off on their own.

This is from the in game lore itself regarding where each of the races (and their subdivisions) are from. Granted, there are always those "few" that break away from the rest of the pack, so to speak. So, while not common, I wouldn't say it's impossible for a Hellsguard or Keeper to be part of the Yellowjackets. 

However, as pretty much already stated, you're looking at midlander, sea wolf, or seeker as likely the most common in the ranks.

Ok well that run about was kinda enjoyable >w<

Class wise I literally saw nothing but mrd npcs.. minus the one gunner in the Coral Tower.But as someone else stated .. the tower is the hq for the Jackets so I'm sure they pick up trainees rather easily there.

also fun fact I didn't see any Jackets past certain locations, mainly sticking to the more tame or civilized areas. Makes sense though if they are along the police force type.

(ok a few npcs in the tower are gunners but that's the sole place you see them)

edit:

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/589161283270790400/767BDF6931212B6694E9F70DE2B9A5CD929461BE/

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/589161283270792371/D553524F57965835DAC33FF4E58BF861EA46627D/

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/589161283270793525/EF47F89B70F9BF1E276F06FD0FE7D2D6CC9E884E/

I recently talked to all the NPCs at the Coral Tower, and it gave some insight onto the Yellowjackets. I'd suggest going and talking to NPCs around town since I can't remember everything they said (I wasn't actively trying to learn anything) I do remember them saying that the Yellowjackets used to be part of the Knights of the Barracuda.

Quite a few of them have guns, too. If they don't have an axe, they have a gun. So they're a bit unique in that they pull from Marauder and . Unless the Blades have like... Pugilists in them and I never noticed... I gotta start paying attention to things.

I recently talked to all the NPCs at the Coral Tower, and it gave some insight onto the Yellowjackets. I'd suggest going and talking to NPCs around town since I can't remember everything they said (I wasn't actively trying to learn anything) I do remember them saying that the Yellowjackets used to be part of the Knights of the Barracuda.

Quite a few of them have guns, too. If they don't have an axe, they have a gun. So they're a bit unique in that they pull from Marauder and . Unless the Blades have like... Pugilists in them and I never noticed... I gotta start paying attention to things.

Yeah based on Rosekitten's pics and this, it looks like a maruader is at least needed. So, that means at least I know I need to level my character now (another tank job? :cry: ). As for the NPCs, that's a good point and so many times I just run by them or if they talk I hastily push the button to get through it quick and miss a lot. Looks like I got homework now. :)

Guess I'm the strange one reading everything or double backing to see what the random npc said in chatter >w<;

Though I admit besides their back story as the Knights of Barracuda and them being sorta engulfed into the Maelstrom once it was formed.. I can't really find anything more on them. ^^;

Also I wouldn't say Mrd is needed.. I mean obviously favored but I think it more of falls in line that the Jacket's hq is in the Mrd guild.

Dig seeing Overpower for the next 49 levels!

The most awesome axe attacks are all in WAR anyway. :P

The only "police force" that doesn't have a singular class representing it is the Wailers because IIRC I've seen a few with bows but I'm not in game right now so I can't check. Technically, Ul'dah could have some pugilists in there if they really wanted to, but I guess they chose the blade because it's easier to see than a bunch of knucks/fists/claws/katars on the side.

Thing is, Limsa is lacking a 2nd Disciple of War class based in the city, which is something both Gridania and Ul'dah have. So there can't be that much variety.

Dig seeing Overpower for the next 49 levels!

The most awesome axe attacks are all in WAR anyway. :P

The only "police force" that doesn't have a singular class representing it is the Wailers because IIRC I've seen a few with bows but I'm not in game right now so I can't check. Technically, Ul'dah could have some pugilists in there if they really wanted to, but I guess they chose the blade because it's easier to see than a bunch of knucks/fists/claws/katars on the side.

Thing is, Limsa is lacking a 2nd Disciple of War class based in the city, which is something both Gridania and Ul'dah have. So there can't be that much variety.

We'll have rogues soon enough! :P

I'm struggling to find a whole lot of lore on Yellowjackets, beyond the fact that they're the resident police force.

On the topic of race, I wouldn't get too hung up on that aspect. The city-states have certain races that are more common than others, but there are always outliers like this Sea Wolf Wood Wailer.

It's a great thing you're doing. :) Lemme know if Aerghwab can help.

You guys really like making me dig for lore...

Okay! So I had to dig a lot of old bones up from 1.0 to answer this question, so bare with me. To discuss the Yellowjackets, we really have to take a broader view of Limsa's Navy, the Knights of the Barracuda.

Prior to the Maelstrom reforming in the year 1572 6AE, Limsa's military was comprised of a large navy called The Lominsan Armada. This Armada was made up of 9 Squadrons of vessels, each tasked with patrolling a specific body of water under Limsa's control.

1st Squadron - Galadion Bay (Waters around Limsa Lominsa city.)

2nd Squadron - Bloodbrine Sea (Northernmost of the Five Seas, above Farreach.)

3rd Squadron - Straight of Merlthor (Waters separating Vylbrand from the Aldenard mainland.)

4th Squadron - Indigo Deep (Westernmost of the Five Seas - Sahagin Territory.)

5th Squadron - Sea of Ash (Southeastern of the Five Seas - the waters off the coast of Thanalan.)

6th Squadron - Rhotano Sea/Cieldalaes (Southwestern of the Five Seas - keep going and you'll reach Meracydia.)

7th Squadron - Bianaq (Unknown body of water.*)

8th Squadron - Clearwater (Unknown body of water.**)

9th Squadron - Sea of Jade (Easternmost of the Five Seas - the waters off the coast of Gyr Abania.)

*Based on lore text from Fishing, we know that Bianaq is an island in Eorzea surrounded by warm water. We do not know where exactly this island is, but I've read speculation that it is the small, unnamed island just east of Cape Deadwind and south of the Bay of Dha'yuz on the edge of the Sea of Ash.

**In 1.0, there was a lake in Coerthas named Clearwater, however, it is highly unlikely Limsa had a squadron stationed there. I have found no other mention of a body of water named Clearwater.

Each of these Squadrons is made up of several vessels, each vessel is run by a crew called a Levy. According to lore, each Squadron is made up of a specific number of Levies, however, I could not find any mention of what this specific number was.

Now, how does all this fluff tie in to the Knights of the Barracuda or the Yellowjackets? Simple, Lominsan Armada personnel are called Knights of the Barracuda. If you belong to one of these 9 Squadrons, you are a Knight of the Barracuda.

Yellowjackets are a division of the Knights of the Barracuda. More specifically, "Yellowjackets" is the affectionate nickname for Knights out of the 1st Squadron - those who guard Limsa Lominsa and the Galadion Bay, and by extension the isle of Vylbrand.

Moving on. Someone's already posted this tidbit on here, but there's an NPC named Ginnade(?) in the Coral Tower who states something along the lines of "Yellowjackets used to be a division of the Knights of the Barracuda before we were swallowed into the Maelstrom... yada yada."

So, this is why Limsa military is confusing and I had to go to 1.0 to find Yellowjacket lore. In times of need, command of the first five squadrons is given over to the Maelstrom, presided over by Grand Storm Marshal Eynzahr Slafyrsyn - Admiral Bloefhiswyn's 1st Mate. This leaves the remaining four squadrons to act in reserve.

Because we play in a time of "need," the broad term "Knights of the Barracuda" has kind of gone by the wayside in 2.0 and has simply been replaced by terms like "Storm," "Maelstrom," "Crimson Fleet," etc due to the vast majority of The Lominsan Armada being merged into The Crimson Fleet. Although, technically, anyone assigned to one of the nine squadrons of the Lominsan Armada is a Knight of the Barracuda, in 2.0 the term Barracuda now likely only refers to someone assigned to Squadrons 6-9 of the Lominsan Armada, as they are not technically under the control/influence of the Maelstrom.

So what's different about the Crimson Fleet? Well, the Crimson Fleet includes the first 5 Squadrons of the Lominsan Armada, plus an additional 6 Warships manned by select Knights and Pirates. (This is kinda big because before the Calamity, Knights of the Barracuda were carefully screened for pirate affiliations.) The Crimson Fleet also includes 4 Privateer Levies each led by a Commander.

The Black Sails - assault (includes Pirate factions like Kraken's Arms and Sanguine Sirens)

The War Sails - bombardment

The Trade Sails - provisioning

Foreign Levy - adventurers

Phew, now that that's all out of the way, I can get down to answering specific questions.

Are they all Marauders or Warriors?  Are they all Roes? I know in the Maelstrom I have seen Lalas (in Aleport), but every image I pull up shows the Yellowjackets as Roes.

There are no racial requirements, for starters. There are in-game Yellowjacket representatives of all races. There are a good number of a Seeker Miqo'te, Sea Wolf Roegadyn, and Midlander Hyur displayed in game, but this is mainly because these are the three most populous races present in Limsa.

As for weapons, many are marauders, however this is also not a requirement to join the Yellowjackets, or the Knights of the Barracuda for that matter. However, ALL KNIGHTS OF THE BARRACUDA/YELLOWJACKETS ARE MUSKETEERS. As evidenced by 1.0 MSQ "Treasures of the Main," the first trials to become a Knight of the Barracuda is musket training. Muskets may not be every Yellowjacket's primary choice of weapon, but it is a weapon they must all be proficient in.

And rank structure. As a veteran I have my own idea of ranks' date=' but would that translate here or does it mirror the Sultansworn (i.e. Captain Jenlys counterpart in Limsa)?[/quote']

So this is based off of what we get a glimpse of in game.

Admiral - Commander in Chief, commands all vessels bearing the Lominsan standard. Current Admiral: Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn

Grand Storm Marshal - Admiral's 1st Mate, oversees command of all Maelstrom vessels. This includes Squadrons 1-5 of the Lominsan Armada, The Crimson Fleet, and the Privateer Levies. Current Marshal: Eynzahr Slafyrsyn

Commodore - Commands the Knights of the Barracuda of the Lominsan Armada, Squadrons 1-9. Likely, reports to the Grand Storm Marshal in regards to Squadrons 1-5, since they now belong to the Maelstrom. Current Commodore: Reyner Hansred

High Commander - Commands an individual Squadron. So one High Commander for each of the 9 squadrons, one High Commander for the 4 Privateer Levies, and a High Commander for the Crimson Fleet, meaning a grand total of 11 High Commanders in the Thalassocratic Navy.

Commander - Commands a single Levy within a squadron.

Captain - Commands a Unit within a Levy. For instance, each Levy may contain an Infantry Unit and a Provisional Unit for example. A Captain would command these.

Lieutenant - Control some portion of each Captain's Unit. Specifics unknown and likely very easy to make stuff up for.

Continuing on this subject of ranks. When formally stating your rank/position in chat... it's ridiculously friggin long. According to NPC encounters in 1.0, Limsa Navy personnel address themselves as: Rank Firstname Lastname Squadron, Levy, Unit. Since you're wanting to play a Yellowjacket, your Squadron will always be 1st Squadron.

Example: Private B'namanbi Ena, Thalassocratic Navy 1st Squadron, 5th Levy Infantry, Seal Rock Provisional Unit.

Lemme know if you have more questions! Hope this helps! ^^

Below is lore sources for all of the above info, plus some extra tidbits you all may find interesting.

Grand Company Maelstrom

1.0 Limsa Story Arc

Treasures of the Main Transcript

Knights of the Barracuda

Coral Tower

Yellowjackets

Ah, but you wanted to know more of what we do here at Camp Bearded Rock. Well, each and every man and woman you see stationed here, uniformed or no, is a member of the Thalassocratic Navy's First Squadron Second Levy Infantry, more commonly known as the Yellowjackets. There are six score of us stationed in strategic locations about Vylbrand - our main duty being the defense of the city-state's land outposts against enemy incursion.

Now you may ask why a thalassocracy - a nation defined by its control of the seas - even needs land-based outposts…and you would not be the only one. Truth to be told, there are more than a few in the Coral Tower who feel the same, and have done their best to consign us to the annals of military history. It seems that every new budget makes less and less provision for our needs, and we're growing accustomed to fighting off bestial hordes with rusted blades and worm-eaten shields.

But I suppose I cannot expect those with their eyes ever turned to the seas to comprehend how much effort is spent on preventing their rosy arses from being reduced to bloody hash. Ah, but I've said too much. Those rosy arses do squeeze out my wages, meager though they may be. How about we keep that last bit between you and me, eh?

There aren't many who are interested in how the Yellowjackets serve the city-state. Most people simply take us for granted, not realizing we're the only reason Limsa Lominsa isn't overrun with slavering peistes and razor-clawed crabs. The six score men and women who make up the First Squadron Second Levy Infantry are more than just Knights of the Barracuda they are heroes of the realm. Each and every one of them. Till sea swallows all!