Teleportation in Eorzea and RP

Kage

I use the teleports as if the Anima system still exists. 100/100 to start, the further you teleport too, the more it costs, and it replenishes one anima every 4 hours. If my characters anima stores are depleted they walk - though sometimes Armi just likes to walk anyway because she is actually really bad at controlling her Aether (She just can't get the hang of spells at this point) and she's kind of afraid one day she going to accidently teleport inside a wall.

Group teleportation I've seen too, I treat is as it pretty much depletes most of your anima if you attempt to take anyone with you, and should be used sparingly.

I follow the bit of lore that has already been linked, and all of my characters have some sort of restriction when it comes to teleportation. I also exclusively do it by an aetheryte, paying a tip to some invisible guards. Most of my characters can't do it a lot - My main can do it once a week, where as two of my three alts can't do it at all and the third could do it more frequently but he severely doesn't like it. For the characters that can't do it, I have taken the liberty to allow them to be teleported by someone else (again near an aetheryte) whilst also having them wear an aether-enhancing piece of jewelry. 

I also don't think anything the character isn't wearing can be teleported - Ie you can't just teleport 1x adventurer complete with chocobo & wagon. 

I've experienced a few times where someone just teleports away right in front of me, and I honestly can't say I'll ever take that seriously. Even if it was completely lore viable, it strikes me as one of those things that are too OP for an RP'er to be able to do, as they could then basically teleport out of all trouble ever.

I typically avoid it since it usually just cheapens a situation and can quite easily lead to people missing out on a lot of enjoyable role-play that actually serves to get them out into the wider game world.

For me role-play is as much about the journey as it is the destination. Some of the best role-play I've ever experienced took place during the time it took to physically travel to a distant area instead of simply arriving there instantly.

I do think that teleportation has a place as part of a story but I generally prefer to keep it as something very rare and not rely upon it as a crutch or bad habit.

I find the whole travel-locked side of RP a pain, so I think rapid transit (eg Teleport or similar) helps with RP flow/opportunity. 

Clearly the crystals are in the lore and the game, so I also like to accept that as the way to travel. It is better than making up some non-lore way.

In game I do RP that I walk to a crystal to be able to teleport. I'm not that keen on the TPing from or to an open space.

Also when my character arrives she is always disoriented and happy her fluffy tail made it in one piece (I have a little macro).

I've spent some time talking to the NPCs around the aetheryte in Gridania, they have some interesting flavor text in regards to aetherytes, aether travel, all that kind of stuff.

For me personally, I tend to play it as my more atherially-aspected characters (my magic users) have more ease attuning to and using aetherytes whereas my more mundane characters tend more towards things like missed connections (landing in the wrong place), aether sickness, that kind of thing.  As I'm currently only playing adventurer types, all of them have enough aether to actually -use- the crystals, but I could definitely see someone being 'aether blind' being a possibility.

Re: teleportation as Deus ex Machina: I think that as with any combat related action, good communication is key in this.  Teleportation is a spell and spells can be interrupted (temporarily like a knock back or permanently where the spell is lost).  The element of chance needs to be a part of the scene when it comes to someone using teleport to get away.  If it's part of the story that the person -has- to get away (a recurring villain, for instance) then there should be some OOC communication there.