Cats. And things that look like them.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you play in 1.x by chance? Miqo'te used to have this thing on the left goin' on:

E8kxriw.jpg

I have no idea why they did away with that. I thought it was a cool little detail.

WHAT.

THEY TOOK THIS OUT?!

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! AN OUTRAGE!! :frustrated:

DUDE. WANT.

You know what they give us. Caster condoms. :c (re:evenstar body).

This is much cooler. Even if it's sorta stiff looking. Much cooler. Maybe they just got bored. Or thought Miqo'te wanted more air between their legs.

I really like that though... Hurm. :c

Re: tails

I actually wonder- cats and dogs have a big bundle of nerves that connect to the base of their tail.  If the tail is pulled hard enough, it can damage that bundle of nerves and actually cause paralysis to the legs/lower part of the spine.  It would be an interesting weakness to have to protect against, considering armor doesn't really protect against pulling/ grabbing and all their armor has a tail slot for it to wag around instead of actually protecting the tail (which is prone to all sorts of injuries- degloving, breaking, being caught in doorways...)

I imagine that miqo'te that fight very rarely have full-length tails in actuality and that most of them have sustained some sort of injury to their tail...

When in armour, I actually RP Fio having placed a light wrapping of cloth around his tail and some chainmail over that to prevent it from being hacked off. Is he less acrobatic? A little. But it's better then having to compensate for a hacked off limb that aids in balance.

Did you play in 1.x by chance? Miqo'te used to have this thing on the left goin' on:

E8kxriw.jpg

I have no idea why they did away with that. I thought it was a cool little detail.

Seeing that immediately makes me think of the ramifications to their abilities. Would that extra weight cause any issue with their balance? Beyond that... another "extension" with plated armor sounds like a fairly decent weapon as well... depending upon several other circumstances (plating, padding, fully covered vs. only top half like it looks like in that picture, etc.). Especially if they do have full control of the movement of the tail as has been discussed in this thread... possible tactical advantage in terms of offensive measures at the expense of balance and speed, perhaps?

I'm glad people are having fun with this thread instead of turning it into a huge flamey rage-fest.

Ahhh, it makes me really, really sad that arguments get such a bad rap! I love arguing with people (even the friends who lay the verbal/written smack down on me nine times out of ten) -- it's really a fun thing for me. Usually I come out of arguments knowing something I didn't know before, with a heightened understanding of the different ways other people think. . .which I can then build into characters. :D

(even if sometimes I wind up looking like an idiot. worth.)

And, too, I really do think passion gets mistaken for emotional response, sometimes, and people react to that. It's normal -- but should never ever ever be taken personally. Don't fear the arguments! Embraaaaaacceeee. (unless it's just legit not fun, I know not everyone is into that -- just like silly things aren't really my thing, most of the time. To each their own. :) )

I am not talking about a debate or even argument where people can state their opinions, and agree/disagree with others.

I started a thread very much like this one a few months ago. I mean it is -very- similar. It -exploded- with replies. That was great for a few days until people started literally insulting each other to the point where Freelance Wizard had to -lock- the thread.

That is what I am talking about. When people start throwing blatant insults into their stated opinions, they are turning it into a personal attack. And yes, the insults were clear. They were not just passionate statements mistaken for emotion.

That is what I am saying. This thread is not worth getting angry over. IMHO, no thread regarding a fictional topic in a fantasy game is worth getting literally enraged over. People want to argue with each other? Doesn't bother me as long as it is kept civil. So far, this thread has stayed civil, and I was just stating that I was happy about that.

Edit: Sorry for the off-topic post.

Seeing that immediately makes me think of the ramifications to their abilities. Would that extra weight cause any issue with their balance? Beyond that... another "extension" with plated armor sounds like a fairly decent weapon as well... depending upon several other circumstances (plating, padding, fully covered vs. only top half like it looks like in that picture, etc.). Especially if they do have full control of the movement of the tail as has been discussed in this thread... possible tactical advantage in terms of offensive measures at the expense of balance and speed, perhaps?

I would think they would need to actually train to wear a tail covering like that.  Like, build muscle in the tail itself, and train wearing it, because tails are usually incorporated to the creature's sense of balance.  Adding weight to a tail would be something they'd have to get used to.

I believe they, like the tiger stripe markings on the face of miqo'te females, are a natural coloration of the skin. I know I read that in a lore post somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find the link.

if you mean the ones on the cheeks, they are not female exclusive:

ef49f3f978.jpg

Those, you can turn off or on with the tattoo option. There's a face option for females that has them on the cheeks and forehead, which you can't "turn off," implying that it's natural.

Edit: Here it is, second one from the left.

bellecollage.png

L'yhta has the "tiger stripe" markings as part of her face option, not as a tattoo choice. Here's an (okay) pic of it, and here's another one from a different angle. One face option has them just on the cheeks; another has a different pattern that places them on the cheeks and forehead.

That said, there's nothing saying it couldn't be a natural coloration on men, too. They definitely have the option for a natural coloration around the eyes at a minimum.

I believe they, like the tiger stripe markings on the face of miqo'te females, are a natural coloration of the skin. I know I read that in a lore post somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find the link.

This is correct. Lore also states the markings darken as the miqo'te age.

I, for one, am one of those players (and this dates back since 2006 when I met Mithras, now Miqo'te) that do not like the Miqo'te = cat comparison, jokes and the like.

Miqo'te are feline humanoids and I'll give them that, but they are not cats. When I meet someone who tries to RP a "pretty kitty" as a Miqo'te, purring and meowing and doing cute stuff cats do, I always like to point out that if they want the cat deal, they should take all of it. Including licking oneself, vomiting fur, and pooping in litter. Do those RPers do that? No. They RP an incomplete cat, yet label themselves as kittens.

Even today, seeing Miqo'te players with names along the lines of "kitty" "cat" "meow" or "princess purry pinkypaw" make me cringe.

So, back to your OP question... No. I don't think catnip affect Miqo'te. They are not cats.

* is miqo'te in the middle of covert operation*

"Alright guys we get one shot at this. Keep silent and move quickly! Let's bring those hostages home!"

*waving hand signals: two guards, stay quiet, move sl--hoarking sound-- glares -- more hoarking noises--guards alerted!*

"Attack!"

*Mission failed. Hostages dead. Hairball at your feet. Bad kitty.*