Destiny. So who's going to play?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been watching my roommate play this on his PS3; trying to decide whether I want to hop on with my account and play as well. He's only a few hours and a raid (instance?) or two in on his... ranger? Think the class he chose was ranger. Has a throwing knife. Anyway, game looks exactly as advertised. Halo-looking MMO FPS with a bit more color a la Borderlands, a slight Mass Effect feel to it, etc.

Quite frankly, I'm not impressed thus far. Standard CoD-esque sprinting with nifty space-boots doublejump, ADS, etc. Monster variety (read: mob diversity) is not impressive beyond some neat vocal effects. The bosses don't look very engaging (watched him put down Sepik Prime or something last night, plus the spider-looking tank monstrosity before that); gameplay for those encounters comes down to "sit behind cover, then peek out and poke for crit damage".

I'm reserving judgment 'til he gets further in, because so far everything looks like vertical progression with no lateral customization besides "which one of these gun types do I want to be using".

Disclaimer: I'm the sort of person who'd be gushing over this game if the movement was more reminiscent of Doom or Starsiege: Tribes and the weapon and monster variety were truly impressive. Alas.

Been watching my roommate play this on his PS3; trying to decide whether I want to hop on with my account and play as well. He's only a few hours and a raid (instance?) or two in on his... ranger? Think the class he chose was ranger. Has a throwing knife. Anyway, game looks exactly as advertised. Halo-looking MMO FPS with a bit more color a la Borderlands, a slight Mass Effect feel to it, etc.

Quite frankly, I'm not impressed thus far. Standard CoD-esque sprinting with nifty space-boots doublejump, ADS, etc. Monster variety (read: mob diversity) is not impressive beyond some neat vocal effects. The bosses don't look very engaging (watched him put down Sepik Prime or something last night, plus the spider-looking tank monstrosity before that); gameplay for those encounters comes down to "sit behind cover, then peek out and poke for crit damage".

I'm reserving judgment 'til he gets further in, because so far everything looks like vertical progression with no lateral customization besides "which one of these gun types do I want to be using".

Disclaimer: I'm the sort of person who'd be gushing over this game if the movement was more reminiscent of Doom or Starsiege: Tribes and the weapon and monster variety were truly impressive. Alas.

Just going to say 'hunter' class. Same thing though really.

As for progression, it actually works in a similar way to FFXIV if you want to think of it like that. Vertical progression until the level cap and then it's about getting your 'gear level' up.

So it's up to level 20 for the standard level cap. Gear beyond that point contains 'Light' which will then become your levelling system. Higher the gear, higher the Light, higher your level beyond 20. I believe it goes up to 30 via that system.

Enemies early on are limited to the Fallen and Hive, later, you're introduced to the Vex and Cabal.

After beating the game and having nothing to do but spam the same four dungeons or PvP, I'd say it's relatively lackluster. While I enjoy the game and have had a lot of fun playing it, I can't help but feel that in the end they only shipped half a game. It has small little parts of a lot of aspects of different genres of games, but all of them only feel about half-completed. The worlds themselves are incredibly tiny and just feel restrictive.

There's not a lot of variety in weapons; you get the same two or three types per weapon slot. The story is more or less nonexistent, and I honestly expected much more from Bungie in regards to this. Maybe they'll expand on this in the future with the upcoming DLC.

I will say that the classes are fun. Rather than there only being three classes like most people feel, there are three "types" (warrior, rogue, mage) and each type has two subclasses. I am currently a level 20 Hunter, and the Hunter can either be a Gunslinger or a Bladedancer. The other types have subclasses as well, and there's a spot for a third I'm sure they'll be adding for each. I like to think of them as specialization trees. I actually hated being Gunslinger but, as soon as I unlocked Bladedancer, I fell in love.

All in all, despite all of the complaints I mentioned, I still have a lot of fun playing the game. When I'm soloing, I honestly feel like the game is relatively lackluster and I've already grown bored with repeating the same dungeons over and over. When I'm with friends, though, I have a wonderful time. I just hope they can add more content because, as of now, it feels incredibly incomplete, a-la Activision.

Hey everybody

I'm Caedmon Scythean on Balmung.

I've been playing Destiny a bit (inbetween XIV) and I'm kind of falling in love with it now that I breached the level 20 cap and started working on Light Leveling.

I set up a FFXIV Group/PS4 Clan on Bungie's main website.  

If you're intersted in joining it's called Azure Vanguard and you can join by going to

http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Detail/278818

and clicking join group (groups are like linkshells) and then join clan (clans are the game's FCes).  I have it set to an open door policy for now.  If you or anyone you know is interested in joining (they don't have to be from FFXIV) please point them to the group / clan page.

I've been working on trying to gear up my light level since I'm sitting at 21 right now.  I tried one of the weekly heroic strikes and >.> that was some crazy mess.  Hopefully if we can get enough people in it will be easy to build fireteams on the fly.

IF anyone ever needs help and you see me on running solo or in a group that is not at capacity feel free to join up.  I do use a headset when I play.  Also, feel free to send me PSN messages if you ever need help.

I think I nabbed most of the people's PSN IDs I saw that were playing PS4 if I missed you or you just want to add more peoples on PSN (if you're on PS3) feel free to nab me as well ^^

How is the game like for someone who only had a passing game of Halo like say 6+ years ago?

And for someone who might need to find PS4 games to justify it (until FFType-0 HD and FFXV come out)?

Can't speak for the Halo aspect but on it's own? As much as I like the game, I personally don't think it's worth buying a PS4 over. If you have other games in mind then it's worth getting with them but, once again, personally speaking I wouldn't have bought a new console over it.

The gameplay is pretty much Halo. The story is... well I'll be honest the story is incredibly thin at the moment.

Getting from 1 to 20 isn't too difficult and much like XIV once you get to 20 you rely on gear with a "light" stat to increase your lvls beyond that, the I generally don't pvp the Crucible is kinda fun for the little bit that I've tried it.

That said, despite it's shortcomings, and there are a few, it's a fun game if you enjoyed Halo.

Short answer: Bungie never learned to develop a decent game that isn't Marathon or Halo.

Long answer: Bungie never learned to develop a decent game that isn't Marathon or Halo, and they never will.

;)

P.S. Thanks for your feedback, Val.

Short answer: Bungie never learned to develop a decent game that isn't Marathon or Halo.

Long answer: Bungie never learned to develop a decent game that isn't Marathon or Halo, and they never will.

;)

P.S. Thanks for your feedback, Val.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. It's a venture into new territory for the developers and as such it's expected for them to stumble a bit as they do. I'd say this review kinda nails it.

aZsE76etD4I

I'll be playing it as of tomorrow or early next week depending on when my PS4 arrives. I ordered one very recently and one of the special deals included Destiny as a bonus game. I'll admit that I haven't really looked into it too much but it does look fairly intriguing. 

I'm a little disheartened that one of the common complaints is the lack of story but so long as the game mechanics are engaging and fun I can look past that.

Here's my first impressions after playing it for roughly an hour:

- The learning curve is a little steep. Granted I just sort of jumped in to start playing as soon as I set up my PS4 for the first time but other than the initial tutorial it can be a little difficult figuring out what you're meant to be doing and where you could, should and shouldn't go.

- Other players can be both a help or a hindrance. 

- The game is very visually impressive both in terms of the actual game itself and the various cutscenes.

- The story is, so far, pretty bare bones. I'd been warned in advance about that though.

- Character customisation is pretty decent. I was pleasantly surprised that it existed in the first place.

Got it for PS4 and have been playing it on and off with a group of friends and after a few hours of play I immediately reactived FFXIV. I thought there would be more. Still a fun game but eeeh...  just eh. PS4 user name is MystiqueAgent in case anyone was wondering add if you like light level of 24 now and trying to get at least one level per week at this point.

Man...the level 26 epic version of the moon strike that you need to do for the exotic hand cannon bounty is...ugh. UGH.

>_> me and a friend two-manned it.

Yeah, but don't forget that enemy spawns and stats increase with each person in your party, so that extra level 25 I brought along beefed up the epic enemies even more. When you have six yellow monsters raining down near instant death from multiple directions at once, things get less fun. :(

Man...the level 26 epic version of the moon strike that you need to do for the exotic hand cannon bounty is...ugh. UGH.

Yeah, but don't forget that enemy spawns and stats increase with each person in your party, so that extra level 25 I brought along beefed up the epic enemies even more. When you have six yellow monsters raining down near instant death from multiple directions at once, things get less fun. :(

True! It also helps that I'm one of those OP Blademasters and stealth to revive my party =x

True! It also helps that I'm one of those OP Blademasters and stealth to revive my party =x

I'm a max bladedancer too, but I was playing on gunslinger just because my ult was useless against those monsters...and then it turned out that so was the gunslinger ult because it DIDN'T EVEN TAKE OUT THEIR SHIELDS IN ONE SHOT. Three golden gun bullets didn't even drop a single yellow health knight. :I

I'm a max bladedancer too, but I was playing on gunslinger just because my ult was useless against those monsters...and then it turned out that so was the gunslinger ult because it DIDN'T EVEN TAKE OUT THEIR SHIELDS IN ONE SHOT. Three golden gun bullets didn't even drop a single yellow health knight. :I

Yeah I've honestly found that Gunslinger is only good in VERY particular situations. It's fun in PvP if you're accurate and it can take out a lot of weaker enemies if your team is getting overran, but... other than that, I stick to Bladedancer. Being able to go invisible and revive a team without worrying about getting killed in the process is a much greater asset imo

Yeah I've honestly found that Gunslinger is only good in VERY particular situations. It's fun in PvP if you're accurate and it can take out a lot of weaker enemies if your team is getting overran, but... other than that, I stick to Bladedancer. Being able to go invisible and revive a team without worrying about getting killed in the process is a much greater asset imo

Well, I soloed the level 26 version of the weekly heroic strike this week as Gunslinger, because lolololololol Solar Burn means that my grenades did 5k damage and my gun did 8k a shot...mmf. My first no-death strike, oddly enough...

As for that J'rakh, the majority of it is soloable, but once you get to the higher levels a lot of the content is formulated for parties, like amped up boss fights, special event missions, and even the raid. Also, Destiny isn't region locked, so EU players are on the same servers as US players.