Personal Housing Thread 2.0

Kage

There's definitely a difference in the response to Ruru's post. Dogberry's post and C's post were all FAR FAR better than what I think of as vitriol that was done off-site to Ruru.

Edit: Anyway, at this time, I don't think Square Enix is even interested in having enough for 100% of the population. They -should- strive for 65-80%, in my opinion.

Edit: Have they said when they're implementing the "X days of no one stepping into a house = loss of plot"? I think that might be the same for these considering.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit: Anyway, at this time, I don't think Square Enix is even interested in having enough for 100% of the population. They -should- strive for 65-80%, in my opinion.

Right now we're looking at 3% of the population ever having access to a personal house - and that's if they got every single plot in the 2 new wards and the 8 new wards they're supposed to be adding later.

Edit: Have they said when they're implementing the "X days of no one stepping into a house = loss of plot"? I think that might be the same for these considering.

They have not, unless Yoshi said something in his response to the JP players last night (there's been no response on the English boards).

I know that on the OF that a comm. rep said that they're still looking into it after pushing it back.

Essentially after ~ 30 days of no one GOING TO THE HOUSE, the plot is taken away and put up for sale.

Someone else pointed out, however, how utterly terrible that would be for individual players, given the amount of gil you have to pay for the spot and how you'd just lose it all.

And they aren't evicting houses that are unused (which is both good and bad - on the one hand, it's frustrating that houses will sit unused when so many people are trying to get a spot, on the other hand, I cannot imagine how terrible it would be for an individual to lose a house after they had worked so very hard on it just because they had a gap in their playtime).

No, they HAVE to do this.

Cut all up-front housing prices in half. Add an upkeep cost every week that's like 10% of the up-front cost. BAM, you have your constant gil sink AND you have a way to create turnover in the housing market so dead FCs and inactive players don't hog absolutely critical housing spaces.

I know for a fact that my old FC (Blades of Nald'thal) is dead but still holds a small plot somewhere in Mist, a plot that would be MUCH better-served being turned over to someone else.

And they aren't evicting houses that are unused (which is both good and bad - on the one hand, it's frustrating that houses will sit unused when so many people are trying to get a spot, on the other hand, I cannot imagine how terrible it would be for an individual to lose a house after they had worked so very hard on it just because they had a gap in their playtime).

No, they HAVE to do this.

Cut all up-front housing prices in half. Add an upkeep cost every week that's like 10% of the up-front cost. BAM, you have your constant gil sink AND you have a way to create turnover in the housing market so dead FCs and inactive players don't hog absolutely critical housing spaces.

I know for a fact that my old FC (Blades of Nald'thal) is dead but still holds a small plot somewhere in Mist, a plot that would be MUCH better-served being turned over to someone else.

I'm not saying I don't agree, especially about FC housing (since there should be a way to have SOMEONE in the FC keep the house up), but for individuals, the investment they put in...  I mean, it'd just be awful, quite frankly.

But if they cut the initial investment and put in a "rent" type thing, I could see that.

Not sure about personal housing, but not allowing someone to let their account lapse a single month is pretty barbaric. That said, as someone who's got an alt in a now-abandoned FC, I'm 100% certain that if an FC folds due to inactivity, the plot explodes. I had a super-low ranking peon who ended up with the Guildmaster button because everybody else has been gone for 90 days+.

It's rough if it's 30 days, but then again, as someone who got their name jacked in XI during the server collapses, I can also understand not wanting long-vacated homes filling the wards in four or five years.

Not sure about personal housing, but not allowing someone to let their account lapse a single month is pretty barbaric. That said, as someone who's got an alt in a now-abandoned FC, I'm 100% certain that if an FC folds due to inactivity, the plot explodes. I had a super-low ranking peon who ended up with the Guildmaster button because everybody else has been gone for 90 days+.

It's rough if it's 30 days, but then again, as someone who got their name jacked in XI during the server collapses, I can also understand not wanting long-vacated homes filling the wards in four or five years.

Maybe 90 days is a better number.  A "not-exactly-happy-but-bearable" medium?

Pure and simple this was the laziest, most unprofessional design feature I have ever seen in a game. It is on par to a high school student slapping together a project minutes before it is due and turning in something that isn't even close to finished. I joked to myself last night "What if they  hadn't even started on personal housing until now and they are hustling to get it done?" I joked, given the lack of info they have given us. Didn't expect to be right. It didn't take them half a year to figure out how to code FC housing to make it so individuals could purchase them. If it was this difficult to figure out how to work around server strains....why didn't they just push it back? I would rather that than a gimp housing system that screws over everyone but the most hardcore of players.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I am honestly surprised that anyone would defend this. It is that lazy. And they knew folks wouldn't be happy seeing as how they kept their mouths shut right up to the last minute.

Pure and simple this was the laziest, most unprofessional design feature I have ever seen in a game. It is on par to a high school student slapping together a project minutes before it is due and turning in something that isn't even close to finished. I joked to myself last night "What if they  hadn't even started on personal housing until now and they are hustling to get it done?" I joked, given the lack of info they have given us. Didn't expect to be right. It didn't take them half a year to figure out how to code FC housing to make it so individuals could purchase them. If it was this difficult to figure out how to work around server strains....why didn't they just push it back? I would rather that than a gimp housing system that screws over everyone but the most hardcore of players.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I am honestly surprised that anyone would defend this. It is that lazy. And they knew folks wouldn't be happy seeing as how they kept their mouths shut right up to the last minute.

I'll bite. Disclaimer: This is purely Devil's Advocate.

What did you expect them to do? Again, personal, single-player housing wasn't on the table until people demanded it for months. It isn't lazy, because we don't know what was worked on behind the scenes; Maybe they had a functioning model that wasn't workable in the long-term, maybe they didn't have the server space to justify it, maybe the level of work creating an entirely-different-but-mostly-the-same infrastructure just wasn't worth the manpower? SE's been clear that the work on 2.4 and beyond is already underway, so why deviate resources from that to work on something like this?

Allow me to draw everyone's attention to the flak that happened when Novus upgrades slipped one month from 2.25 to 2.28. It was a month, and people flipped their wigs over it. Now consider how many people that actually affected, given the community's propensity to bitch and whine about atma droprates and the like? They got a ton of blowback from a small percentage of people over "dropping promises" so it's insane to think it would have been okay for them to delay anything.

All of this could have been averted if they had said "Look, we've got a lot on our plate right now. Given the resources we have, and the great things we are planning, it just isn't in the cards right now. We're sorry that we can't provide this right now, but we will consider it once we are able to devote enough resources to it to make something we think you'll really be happy with."

Yes, people would cry. You can please some people sometimes, but you can't please everyone every time. And sure, hindsight is 20/20. Is it strange that I'd rather have nothing if that's the alternative to mediocrity?

All of this could have been averted if they had said "Look, we've got a lot on our plate right now. Given the resources we have, and the great things we are planning, it just isn't in the cards right now. We're sorry that we can't provide this right now, but we will consider it once we are able to devote enough resources to it to make something we think you'll really be happy with."

Yes, people would cry. You can please some people sometimes, but you can't please everyone every time. And sure, hindsight is 20/20. Is it strange that I'd rather have nothing if that's the alternative to mediocrity?

People would still be upset, but I like to think that if they'd not gone radio-silent, as it were, for so long...  I know there still would have been an outcry, but I also know that I'd feel a lot better if they'd just not implemented it at all.  Maybe said, "We can't do this due to server restrictions/limitations, but we are working on a way around this that we hope to have out by the expansion."

I'll bite. Disclaimer: This is purely Devil's Advocate.

What did you expect them to do? Again, personal, single-player housing wasn't on the table until people demanded it for months. It isn't lazy, because we don't know what was worked on behind the scenes; Maybe they had a functioning model that wasn't workable in the long-term, maybe they didn't have the server space to justify it, maybe the level of work creating an entirely-different-but-mostly-the-same infrastructure just wasn't worth the manpower? SE's been clear that the work on 2.4 and beyond is already underway, so why deviate resources from that to work on something like this?

Allow me to draw everyone's attention to the flak that happened when Novus upgrades slipped one month from 2.25 to 2.28. It was a month, and people flipped their wigs over it. Now consider how many people that actually affected, given the community's propensity to bitch and whine about atma droprates and the like? They got a ton of blowback from a small percentage of people over "dropping promises" so it's insane to think it would have been okay for them to delay anything.

It was actually on the table since December.  :S

Not strange at all. I just think that the reasonable-minded would be drowned out by the proverbial thrown bottles and chairs. I'm of similar opinion that wish; They could have told us sooner that it wasn't working out and they'd try extra hard in the future to make something worthy of our time and attention, but they didn't, so we can either hope there was a good reason for it or wash our hands of Yoshi P, quit the game, write letters to our congressmen and burn effigies.

Not strange at all. I just think that the reasonable-minded would be drowned out by the proverbial thrown bottles and chairs. I'm of similar opinion that wish; They could have told us sooner that it wasn't working out and they'd try extra hard in the future to make something worthy of our time and attention, but they didn't, so we can either hope there was a good reason for it or wash our hands of Yoshi P, quit the game, write letters to our congressmen and burn effigies.

You forgot making a Facebook page and starting a Twitter hashtag. This is the generation of social media, after all!

You can please some people sometimes, but you can't please everyone every time. 

This entire thing, summed up in one neat sentence.

I'm pretty pleased, I get to take screenshots of a sweaty Highlander slinging an axe over his shoulders. What's a housing?

Dude, have you seen the Monk stances yet? Guys go into a pose that makes them look like The Rock, and women drop into Horse stance. Looks awesome.

You forgot making a Facebook page and starting a Twitter hashtag. This is the generation of social media, after all!

I'm all for burning some Yoshi-P effigies. I declare today Yoshi-P day! Remember, remember, the 16th of September, the day Yoshi-P lost the plot. I know of no reason our wailin' and wheezin' should ever be forgot.