White Mage Story Idea - Knowingly that I'll be bashed for this.

Aldotsk

Considering Hyur don't show up in Eorzea for another thousand years post-Amdapor's demise, I think you would have to have a whopper of an excuse as to why there's a Hyur sealed inside a 1600 year old Amdaporian tomb.

Considering the bloody race-wars which went on for about 500 years between Elezen and Hyur when Hyur eventually did migrate to Eorzea in the 6th Astral Era, I don't think its possible to say either that your Amdaporian Hyur was part of some lesser known sect of Hyur who migrated 1000 years early.

Your Amdaporian probably wouldn't even know what a Hyur was, much less seen one. Which could be something interesting to roleplay. Maybe as she's walking around she sees this strange race that has no baring in her own memories. Maybe she finds them beautiful. Maybe she wishes she was like them. Idk.

OH! 

This is the greatest answer I was seeking :D

To this Amdaporian ancestor, she'd probably is new to the cultural changes anyways and would find Hyur to be the most amusing species roaming around Eorzea in this case. I'd definitely work something like that.

Overall, it does make sense that she'd first appear as Elezen/Keeper before anything. 

**brainstorm is working now**

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another idea is that she was an ambassador of some sort or foreign dignitary who had the right "mindset" to be open to White Magic.  Maybe she was an adopted sibling or somehow integrated herself into a Elezen family.  There's no suggestion that Hyur didn't exist, just that they weren't in Eorzea at all at that time.  But, Hyur seem to be wanderers of a sort, with no real homeland, so if there was trade of some sort going on between Eorzea and the other continents, it's still possible (though rather unlikely) that a Hyur might somehow end up in Amdapor.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, because anything is possible. Just that, should you decide to take that route, be aware you are effectively re-writing Eorzean history for the sake of having one Hyuran Amdaporian.

Is it possible that Hyur visited Eorzea before the 6th Astral Era? Certainly. However, Eorzean archaeologists and historians date the first Hyur migration at roughly 1000 years ago, which resulted in bloody territorial wars between the newly arrived Hyur and the Ishgardians, the Gyr Abanian Elezen, and the Belah'dians.

It'd be like when historians IRL discovered the Spaniards weren't the first Europeans to "discover" the New World, but instead the Vikings already beat them by like 500 years.

There's always an issue with a character background story when it involves either rewriting history, or paragraphs of explanation just to seem remotely possible.  When you hit that point where you're questioning your own characters validity and needing to ask publicly what to do/fix it you need to ask yourself.

"Is this needed, and does it matter?"

Does having this large and elaborate story affect or add to your character in any noticeable way?  Is it necessary to have this or else the character personality or concept just cannot work?  Is there not a simpler way to achieve that same goal?

If you answered "No" to any of those questions, and you're still questioning your character's validity; then it may be time to drop and rewrite it, keeping it simple.

--

Yours is particularly troubling because it relies on a lot of unexplained or vague aspects coupled with amnesia.  Meaning your character will either be forever locked in an amnesiac state (making your background worthless) or runs the risk of having Square Enix contradict and annihilate your entire background in a single patch note.

I'd honestly rewrite it to be more generic and vague, or drop the concept of being a White Mage at all.  A amnesiac conjurer found in the Shroud not only fits directly into lore without any additional work; it also keeps a lot more avenues open for progress that don't carry the caveat of being obsoleted instantly or questioned constantly.

Yours is particularly troubling because it relies on a lot of unexplained or vague aspects coupled with amnesia.  Meaning your character will either be forever locked in an amnesiac state (making your background worthless) or runs the risk of having Square Enix contradict and annihilate your entire background in a single patch note.

I'd honestly rewrite it to be more generic and vague, or drop the concept of being a White Mage at all.  A amnesiac conjurer found in the Shroud not only fits directly into lore without any additional work; it also keeps a lot more avenues open for progress that don't carry the caveat of being obsoleted instantly or questioned constantly.

Some spells that were casted between Conjurer and White Mage, there are huge gaps of spells that conjurers cannot use because it leads to white magic. Honestly White Mage is indeed forbidden but despite that it is hero's plot OOCly for WHM chain quest, it is considerably implied that -one- can be a white mage in due time through future possibility. So I am not sure how much Square Enix will forbid anyone from becoming WHM. (Considering the fact that there are no roleplaying servers, and Balmung/Gilgamesh are literally the unofficial RP servers.) 

If we talk about character background story, then we can also look at Paladins, Warriors, and Monks. Paladins can be free paladins to go out on an adventurer, but as Sultansworn paladins, they are limited by their duties in the city to protect Sultana, but there are still people who argue that people who play Sultansworns are rewriting history and lore backgrounds. By how much? Barely.

But if the character background supports it and it doesn't impact a lot to the lore to destroy Eorzea, I don't think it should look down upon >_<

Some spells that were casted between Conjurer and White Mage, there are huge gaps of spells that conjurers cannot use because it leads to white magic. Honestly White Mage is indeed forbidden but despite that it is hero's plot OOCly for WHM chain quest, it is considerably implied that -one- can be a white mage in due time through future possibility. So I am not sure how much Square Enix will forbid anyone from becoming WHM. (Considering the fact that there are no roleplaying servers, and Balmung/Gilgamesh are literally the unofficial RP servers.) 

If we talk about character background story, then we can also look at Paladins, Warriors, and Monks. Paladins can be free paladins to go out on an adventurer, but as Sultansworn paladins, they are limited by their duties in the city to protect Sultana, but there are still people who argue that people who play Sultansworns are rewriting history and lore backgrounds. By how much? Barely.

But if the character background supports it and it doesn't impact a lot to the lore to destroy Eorzea, I don't think it should look down upon >_<

Actually, mentioned before; just -being- a White Mage impacts the lore of Eorzea since you're now a powerful and pivotal player and it meshes you in the times directly between the reign of the elementals and the padjals.  You'd become incredibly important and pivotal simply because of what you are.  

Is this pivotal play between the WHM of the past and the WHM of today and the interactions resulting as such an important and main focus of your character?  If it isn't, it should be since you'd be outed immediately upon casting.  If you can't use the WHM aspect or remember it ever, then it doesn't exist as a background.

These ifs... buts.. and questions are a lot stronger than a Sultansworn's "Why aren't you in the throne room 24/7" argument.  They directly effect the history and future of Eorzea.

---

Now don't misconstrue me, you can be a WHM with some proper finagling.  You can be in stasis in Ampador with some proper finagling as well.  But being both at once is what switches this to a far grander story.  Hence why the absolute best approach I think, is to simplify and pick one.  White Mage, or Ampadorian.

Actually, mentioned before; just -being- a White Mage impacts the lore of Eorzea since you're now a powerful and pivotal player and it meshes you in the times directly between the reign of the elementals and the padjals.  You'd become incredibly important and pivotal simply because of what you are.  

Is this pivotal play between the WHM of the past and the WHM of today and the interactions resulting as such an important and main focus of your character?  If it isn't, it should be since you'd be outed immediately upon casting.  If you can't use the WHM aspect or remember it ever, then it doesn't exist as a background.

These ifs... buts.. and questions are a lot stronger than a Sultansworn's "Why aren't you in the throne room 24/7" argument.  They directly effect the history and future of Eorzea.

---

Now don't misconstrue me, you can be a WHM with some proper finagling.  You can be in stasis in Ampador with some proper finagling as well.  But being both at once is what switches this to a far grander story.  Hence why the absolute best approach is to simplify and pick one.  White Mage, or Ampadorian.

Hmm, would this be part that may work out? I mean, technically there is gotta be a way that "one" requires to be a white mage. Like how would it work? If there is a dead person, can he/she be resurrected and gain the knowledge to become a white mage? Or would he/she have to literally be going to Amdapor city or keep to find more knowledge about to become a white mage? 

You did mention two options, but somehow I have a feeling that the character still requires two of them to connect it to back it up. Sure the character doesn't literally have to be Amdaporian, but will have to tweak the plot of -how- this character earned the ability to do so.

I want to try to make this possibly work because it makes what the game and RP fun at least. Despite that it's looked down upon.

Hence why the absolute best approach is to simplify and pick one.  White Mage, or Ampadorian.

The issue we face with picking just one, is that it renders the entire concept impossible. If she were merely a non-White Mage Amdaporian... she wouldn't be alive today, 1600 years later. The stasis concept hinges on the snippet of lore saying that Succor can be used to seal Voidgates, and combining that with the legend of Wiyu who uses her own body to seal said anomaly. As it is, the concept lies just within the realm of possibility while still being lore accommodating.

If she were merely a modern day White Mage, she faces the challenge that all other WHM RPers are facing. Why do you get to be super speshul WHM when it was only entrusted to Padjal?

By having her as an Amdaporian White Mage, the fact she's a White Mage isn't what makes her special. Amdaporians are canon original White Mages. It isn't special to them. She's special because she's a living Amdaporian, released into a brand new world which has suffered two calamities in the time she's been in stasis. I'd personally not RP amnesia. I'd think it'd be more interesting to find her struggling to acclimate to this new world.

By having her as an Amdaporian White Mage, the fact she's a White Mage isn't what makes her special. Amdaporians are canon original White Mages. It isn't special to them. She's special because she's a living Amdaporian, released into a brand new world which has suffered two calamities in the time she's been in stasis. I'd personally not RP amnesia. I'd think it'd be more interesting to find her struggling to acclimate to this new world.

Oh! The reason I left it amnesiac is because I am still a derp to Amdapor/War of Magi lore history so I don't want to make a mistake while I am ICly RPing as this white mage. I mean, if someone wants to be my tutor for this related lore, please feel free to talk to me or answer my questions because I want to make sure I'd take enough knowledge so I dont screw up

(aside from saying "You can't be white mage then if you know the lore")

I didn't read Sounsyy's post before I wrote this; but it explains a lot and invalidates the post.

My worry in that regard then, is just how much knowledge do we know about Ampador that if she was asked as a character she'd honestly be able to answer?

Which is why amnesia can be a considerable part of plot because if you think about it, if someone has been sleeping for more than 1000 years, your body is just weak. You are physically weak due to lack of walking, and your mind is very dull and fragile - you only know long term memories by your skills and your adaptations that you were used to. Like event memories are vague, and your eyes vision seem dull because you've been shutting your eyes for a long time. So in term base, you might know your white magic but you wouldn't really remember what really happened to the city because it was literally an event based memory that just happened within flash moment before you are sealed away.

I didn't read Sounsyy's post before I wrote this; but it explains a lot and invalidates the post.

My worry in that regard then, is just how much knowledge do we know about Ampador that if she was asked as a character she'd honestly be able to answer?

Which is why amnesia can be a considerable part of plot because if you think about it, if someone has been sleeping for more than 1000 years, your body is just weak. You are physically weak due to lack of walking, and your mind is very dull and fragile - you only know long term memories by your skills and your adaptations that you were used to. Like event memories are vague, and your eyes vision seem dull because you've been shutting your eyes for a long time. So in term base, you might know your white magic but you wouldn't really remember what really happened to the city because it was literally an event based memory that just happened within flash moment before you are sealed away.

As to the actual topic, I think it would work, and as someone who rps with you I have no qualms. That said, it is a very touchy character, rife with bombs waiting to go off. Play her, but it may be wise to have an exit strategy in case you need it. Say have it decided in your mind that if the WHM part gets out of hand you have an rp or event ready that strips her of the power. Or maybe have it set if she becomes unworkable, that she starts aging rapidly and only dumping the White Magic will save her. Stuff like that.

I have always maintained a story arc on my desktop to do away with Erik should the need arise. Every character should have one.

Unnamed Mercenary has asked "But where's his lovely companion? The Doctor always needs a companion!"

Is true, and he does. She is always by the Doctor's side.

Hildibrand.png

The companion had a wild night with Mr. Pumpkinweed... as proven here:

800px-Ffxiv_04192014_024634.png

800px-Ffxiv_04192014_024640.png

Gus... you sly dog. You know you're my wife's favorite PC on balmung don't you. Even snipin' my rl lady.

EDIT: I just made as separate post. Think mine got buried lol.

This is of course an issue that may cause trouble. We don't know much about Amdaporian culture. We know they were blessed as a nation to champion the Elemental's power of Succor and charged with restoring balance to the world sometime in the mid to late 5th Astral Era. We know when the War of the Magi broke out towards the end of the 5th Astral Era, Succor wasn't enough to fix what Black Magic destroyed. We know that the Black Mages opened Voidgates to unleash hell on Amdapor. Which is why there are so many demons and voidsent still persisting in the Twelveswood today. We know that Black Mages also enchanted stone and created golems with which to lay siege to the cities of Amdapor and Nym. We believe that in the final battle between White and Black Mages, the Black Mages summoned the Void King Diabolos against Amdapor. At length and at great costs, a group of White Mages was able to temporarily seal the Void King away.

What we don't know are cultures and customs. Were the Nymians their allies? Did they have the same Pact or Laws laid down by the Elementals that Gridania follows today?

But to be fair, we don't know many customs or the culture of Ala Mhigo, or Garlemald, or Doma, and yet we see many Roleplayers making characters from those nations. To be fair, there are a large number of roleplayers who don't even know the history, culture, or customs of our current nations. Much less follow them to a T.

My best advice if you wish to go with this concept, is just be general and make up small details if necessary. I doubt SE is going to give us much more to go on than what we have seen so far, outside of more historically important dates and events, which may or may not apply to your character concept.

But to be fair, we don't know many customs or the culture of Ala Mhigo, or Garlemald, or Doma, and yet we see many Roleplayers making characters from those nations. To be fair, there are a large number of roleplayers who don't even know the history, culture, or customs of our current nations. Much less follow them to a T.

My best advice if you wish to go with this concept, is just be general and make up small details if necessary. I doubt SE is going to give us much more to go on than what we have seen so far, outside of more historically important dates and events, which may or may not apply to your character concept.

I have a character from far east, an island far away from Doma - but I made it far for a reason since I know nothing of Doma besides Yugiri and some part of their culture. However it's implied that there is bigger land than just Doma anyways. I decided to play with it until if I have to adjust the lore a bit if it impacts my plot. Can always retcon these new type of characters.

Also your history of Amdapor seems pretty accurate, Sounsyy - rather I took my time to read a bit and piqued my interest. I might use that part to see if I can place myself in there, but honestly I think everyone's opinions and ideas really helped a lot. I wont' deny it.

The only thing is that I really doubt WHM powers will be out of control unless the character intends to abuse it to be chaotic. I always expected WHM even back in Amdapor tried to keep the world in balance to protect it from voids by bathing the place with light. Just that it got out of hand is all I can see.

Those I think are easier to guess on due to the glaring cultural similarities with real places, Ala Mhigo (nordic+Mesopotamian flavors), Garlemald (Rome with Dutch naming conventions), and Doma (Japan+pacific islands). While Amdapor strikes me more like the Western Civilization legend of Atlantic mixed with the Eastern Civilization legend of Mu.

Players can look at Rome and make an educated guess on how the DEVs will lay out Garlemald culture. But since Atlantis and Mu are fictional, there is nothing to draw an educated guess from as it is completely the creation of the said DEVs.

While I don't disagree, these are all fictional places loosely inspired by a combination of real life cultures. We can guess all day, but never know for sure unless lore is released telling us specifics. But even when said lore is released, you're going to find a good population of roleplayers who aren't aware of it or just don't follow it. Which was my point. So I guess I think it's a tad unfair to caution a would-be Amdaporian on lack of lore, when (just using an example don't hate me this isn't an attack!) there may be say a Sultansworn RPer who doesn't know pertinent Ul'dah lore that may or may not relate to being a Sultansworn?

Like I'm sure most Sultansworn know who the founder of the Sultansworn is, and how long ago that was... but how many would be able to name the Sultan in charge before Nanamo? If your character has been a Sultansworn for at least a decade, that's pertinent to you. Likewise, not many people know who writes the laws by which the Sultanate is bound.

there may be say a Sultansworn RPer who doesn't know pertinent Ul'dah lore that may or may not relate to being a Sultansworn?

Like I'm sure most Sultansworn know who the founder of the Sultansworn is, and how long ago that was... but how many would be able to name the Sultan in charge before Nanamo? If your character has been a Sultansworn for at least a decade, that's pertinent to you. Likewise, not many people know who writes the laws by which the Sultanate is bound.

((Not to hi-jack this thread but... I totally sorta said 'no' to most of these >< Perhaps maybe you may be able to elaborate on something I also wanted to comment on in the "guide" thread?))

As discussed, I did make a character who is Keeper in the end with the Elezen name implied  that her name was given Elezen instead of her tribal names while she resided in Amdapor. But considering that Sounsyy has mentioned, I might go with his/her theory about how the city fell apart. I'll give further updates.