So the 3.0 Trailer dropped a Lore Bomb...

Zelmanov

http://i.imgur.com/qx3CCWs.jpg

this picture, look at it, multiple AF gear and Multiple Gae Bolgs....

Dunno what place in the lore AF2 gear has (besides being badass) but it may suggest that Saint Reinette's spear (the spear that Gae bolg is modeled after) May just be a traditional ishgardian design and not a weapon of particular uniqueness in terms of looks.

Either way, HYPE HYPE HYPE

I think it's an exercise in futility to really chop up what information we have and try extracting lore from it.

I watch the trailer and I see VFX artists trying to make something cool and that's what they put together with very little lore in mind. xD They wanted it to be very recognizably "dragoon" and this is what came out.

lore wise I remember it is possible to become a dragoon, just not the azure dragoon. As for the armor: I don't believe vfx artists would take massive liberties with lore here. It is more likely that what you see in that trailer is a battle of days gone by, where dragoons where more numerous

May just be a traditional ishgardian design and not a weapon of particular uniqueness in terms of looks.

This was actually mentioned when relic weapons first came out back during 1.0.

"There is a custom still observed in Ishgard today which ordains that the Holy See bestow a polearm dubbed Gae Bolg upon any lancer who ascends to the station of dragoon. Exactly how his weapon is forged remains a mystery, as the very few highland smiths who create them are sworn to keep their methods secret. All that is known is that the bones of dragons slain in the name of Halone are worked into both haft and head, achieving an unmatched balance between lightness and strength. "

There has always been multiple Gae Bolg in recent history. It's just a specific type of spear now, and not an original.

As far as Dragoons go, as mentioned a post or two up, you can become a Dragoon. You just can't became the Azure Dragoon (Seeing as there is only one, and despite your character being it in the game, we all know how that goes elsewhere.)

multiple AF gear and Multiple Gae Bolgs....

Dunno what place in the lore AF2 gear has (besides being badass) but it may suggest that Saint Reinette's spear (the spear that Gae bolg is modeled after) May just be a traditional ishgardian design and not a weapon of particular uniqueness in terms of looks.

Multiple AF armor and multiple Gae Bolgs have always been a canon lore thing. A Gae Bolg is crafted for every Azure Dragoon as well as an individual set of Drachen Mail. So imagine how many hundreds of Azure Dragoons there have been over the course of 1000 years. The set that the Player Character graverobs is one of many.

There is still, however, only one Azure Dragoon chosen every generation to champion Ishgard, and even the Player Character doesn't technically count as this generation's "Azure Dragoon" if you go back and talk to Ser Alberic. He'll say it's the first time in Ishgardian history that the Holy See has been without one. Meaning, Player Character doesn't count because Player Character isn't Ishgardian.

Well I did not know about the multiple gae bolg's but I did know about the armor, but I have seen arguments about AF armor being unique, even when coming to Dragoons, this at least helps clear the air that if you are a dragoon, you can feasibly have a "legitimate" set. Especially when it comes to Ishgardians.

Can you link me the thing about a gae bolg is crafted for each azure dragoon?

Well I did not know about the multiple gae bolg's but I did know about the armor, but I have seen arguments about AF armor being unique, even when coming to Dragoons, this at least helps clear the air that if you are a dragoon, you can feasibly have a "legitimate" set. Especially when it comes to Ishgardians.

Can you link me the thing about a gae bolg is crafted for each azure dragoon?

It isn't just the azure dragoon, rather every Ishgardian dragoon.

So, in order to legitimately obtain a Gae Bolg, one would have to have been given the station of Dragoon by the Holy See itself. Doesn't mean you couldn't find one, but to actually be given an official one crafted for you specifically, the Holy See needs to recognize you as a Dragoon.

Now, as far as the Drachen mail goes, I have my own personal theory as to what's going on in the trailer. Ishgard has always been staunchly against outside aid, but for the first time they're actively calling for help, because the Dragons are just wrecking them.

Given that the Dragonsong War has clearly escalated, they are likely more willing to ordain more Dragoons in order to give them an edge against the dragons, and thus are probably churning out drachen mail and gae bolg left and right to give to any lancer willing to take the fight to the dragons, adventurers included. When your nation faces destruction, I think it's plausible for customs to be tossed aside, and the Ishgardians likely realize it's a necessity for their survival.

Just my two cents, though.

Was more thinking that 'Drachen dragoons' are just more 'elite' dragoons, and this is who we're seeing in the trailer. 

As an aside, having 'replicas' of the Artifact armours is completely canon. Rowena says that the AF armour you get from her are all vintage replicas made in-house. Tomestones, that whole mechanic, is all IC, not that I know anyone who RPs it.

Was more thinking that 'Drachen dragoons' are just more 'elite' dragoons, and this is who we're seeing in the trailer. 

As an aside, having 'replicas' of the Artifact armours is completely canon. Rowena says that the AF armour you get from her are all vintage replicas made in-house. Tomestones, that whole mechanic, is all IC, not that I know anyone who RPs it.

Meta Xi does. He has had more then one person enthusiactically quetion how his character has the dragoon armor. He has always explained it as being a replica and even went out of his way to get the augmented armor tp dye so it stands out more.

I would never dismiss anything anyone working on the game does as "just trying to look cool". We know what extraordinary lengths Fernelhawes and Yoshida go to as far as keeping everything consistent and maintaining the quality. I'm certain the video artists were given extremely precise instructions on what to create.

I would never dismiss anything anyone working on the game does as "just trying to look cool". We know what extraordinary lengths Fernelhawes and Yoshida go to as far as keeping everything consistent and maintaining the quality. I'm certain the video artists were given extremely precise instructions on what to create.

^ This

previous cgi cutscenes follow a clear timeline featuring the affectionately named "Derplander" who possesses the echo. Its a cohesive story following from the Marlboro to the battle over silvertear to cartenau flats.  And all have  chunks of lore in them that fit into the game.

he is a warrior of light and can quite fairly be indicative of the capabilities of a hyper competent adventurer, the same hyper competence that the player character falls into. He is the avatar for our character as he goes from major plot point to major plot point

So either Derplander there gets a nice echo blast to a time where you have that AF2 Dragoon or he, as an outside manages to waltz in and wear that armor, regardless, its interesting to speculate