Days of the week in Eorzea have finally been named!

Merri

Thought this might be worthy of taking note. Gamerescape had a quick little interview with Ferne at the fanfest today, and one of the questions answered was the long awaited names of the days in the Eorzean week, along with a lot of other interesting little tidbits of lore.

Turns out they're named directly after the days of the week from FFXI. That specifically being~

Firesday --> Earthsday --> Watersday --> Windsday --> Iceday --> Lightningday --> Lightsday --> Darksday

So, there we have it. Eight days in a week, supposedly, which makes it a bit difficult to translate, but it's interesting knowledge none-the-less.

Eight days in a week... So I guess each month is precisely four weeks. A little weird that they chose to make it just slightly different enough from IRL that it's super annoying to keep track of. >_< Think I'll just continue to estimate RP dates using roughly what it is in IRL time anyway.

You'll note the character creator has always had the moon/month broken into 8 suns/days a week, with 32 suns (I think all of them have 32?) per moon. And that when you choose a date on the Eorzean calendar they give you the Earth day as well,  which doesn't always match up due to this. xD Best to just estimate and use the lore-friendly names when you can imo!

You'll note the character creator has always had the moon/month broken into 8 suns/days a week, with 32 suns (I think all of them have 32?) per moon. And that when you choose a date on the Eorzean calendar they give you the Earth day as well,  which doesn't always match up due to this. xD Best to just estimate and use the lore-friendly names when you can imo!

It actually shows it as 10 days per line, with two days tagged onto the end.

It actually shows it as 10 days per line, with two days tagged onto the end.

SORCERY. I must be mistaken, but I really thought it was 8 days! Hah.

I am really not pleased that most of the calendar in this lore is harder for me to keep in track of the time.

Like do we know how many years have passed from 2.0 to 2.3? Or even 1.0 to 2.3?

I had been just saying normally that it's been 6 years from the end of 1.0 to 2.3 but because the planet cycles around faster than Earth does, chances are that many character's ages have gone really old than they expect.

I'm going to keep track of this by having an 'invisible' day in the week. A day, inserted into my 7 day period, where nothing of note happens that I can just handwave or glaze over. Fixes up things nicely!

Gonna avoid calling the days by name as well. I did this before and have no problem continuing. I'm happy they're revealing these little things!

Like do we know how many years have passed from 2.0 to 2.3? Or even 1.0 to 2.3?

Technically, not a single year has passed between 2.0 and 2.3.

Technically, only five years have passed between Calamity and 2.3.

However, many will argue and point out that we had a New Years Event (Heavensturn) in between 2.0 and 2.3, necessitating that at least part of one year has come and gone. If you wish to go with this and say that it has been 6 years since the Calamity now, I don't think anyone will fault you. I.e. "The First Year of the Seventh Astral Era" six years post Calamity.

BUT, as far as lore is concerned, the game (like a comic strip) exists in a time bubble because it's an MMO and they want to minimize a staggering time gap between a player who just started the MMO yesterday and it's 5th Year of the Seventh Umbral Era, but if you've actually done all the storyline up into 3.26 it's actually now the 3rd Year of the Seventh Astral Era OMGWTFISHAPPENING.

Fernehalwes explains this to 1.0 players heeeere.

Fernehalwes explains this to 1.0 players heeeere.

Thank you for the link. The time bubble is what I've been assuming too, as time obviously doesn't work the same for every character. Some people like to imagine that their characters have aged, others don't. My characters could happily be stuck in a single scene for weeks, so it's not that a day irl equals to a day in Eorzea. The flow of time is a personal choice, thus it shouldn't be imposed; in order for it to work with everyone, I believe it simply shouldn't be mentioned.