Age of Consent in Eorzea.

That_NPC

Ok,so before I get to the question proper, please read this.

This is NOT meant to be a discussion on the ethical nature of relationships between different ages, we all know what's right and wrong in the real world, and its definitely safe to implement those values into Eorzea.

Thank you.

That being said, I'm curious what the role age would play in Eorzea as far relationships (sexual or otherwise) (for the sake of discussion we'll use the human aging convention).

We can look at history and get a huge amount of diversity on the subject.

On the first part, you have age of consent.  The only in game reference I could find to it was from "all about the haft"  where he rescues the miqo girls from sex slavery, but pushes them away because they are too young for the flames.

Now, since they were being sold into sex slavery, that tells me that they were at least of an age that it wouldn't be unheard of to be attracted to, but not necessarily considered appropriate since they were far enough from being adults that the Flames wouldnt' take them.  Problem is that age has a lot of variance as well, from 13-19 (Because too young for the military does not necessarily mean too young for adulthood).

Then you look at Longhaft himself.  He was in the mission that rescued them, which tells us he was an adult, and far enough to be trusted with this type of mission, which tells me he was around 26 at the youngest.

That a pretty wide age gap already, now if we assume the age of getting into the military and getting to that post is 21, that would put Longhaft anywhere between 28 and 34.  His relationship with them is not being hidden in the slightest so its safe to assume its considered alright.

So to the direct questions

1) What do you think the accepted age for starting sexual activity is in Eorzea?

2) Do you think this is mandated by any kind of law?

3) How large of a role do you think an age gap plays between two people together?

Any more thoughts on the subject or facts I missed are greatly appreciated.

Um, while not strictly related to "age of consent" we can look at Nanamo Ul Namo and get a rough estimate of "age of adulthood" as far as Ul'dah's standards go. These standards may be different across Eorzea.

Anyways, Nanamo Ul Namo was 16 years old in 1572 6AE (1.0 time) and had already succeeded her father Sasabaru as Sultana. There is no mention in the lore of Ul'dah being under any sort of Regency prior to Nanamo's coronation, so we can assume she was considered "of age" to rule alone without a Regent at the time of Sasabaru's death. So we're looking at Ul'dah's age of adulthood being 15 or 16 years of age at the oldest.

Um, while not strictly related to "age of consent" we can look at Nanamo Ul Namo and get a rough estimate of "age of adulthood" as far as Ul'dah's standards go. These standards may be different across Eorzea.

Anyways, Nanamo Ul Namo was 16 years old in 1572 6AE (1.0 time) and had already succeeded her father Sasabaru as Sultana. There is no mention in the lore of Ul'dah being under any sort of Regency prior to Nanamo's coronation, so we can assume she was considered "of age" to rule alone without a Regent at the time of Sasabaru's death. So we're looking at Ul'dah's age of adulthood being 15 or 16 years of age at the oldest.

This right here is helpful. so At minimum we can assume 16. 

And as far as the pheremones go for Miqo, that's part of what makes this question important. Because that implies a focus on physical maturity rather than age. Soo what if someone matures fast for their age? We see it happen in the real world, so would that be overlooked or get the "yeah man I know, but you can't touch that." reaction?

Also as far as Lalafell go, remember you may consider it weird, but to another lalafell that could look tasty.

Now does anyone know of anything about age gaps effecting relationships?

We can also look at the Tales from the Calamity story: In Louisoix’s Wake http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/anniversary/na/detail/memoir_5.html?rgn=na&lng=en

It specifically says in the story: "Recent graduates of the Studium, the twins were now sixteen summers old─old enough to be considered of age in Sharlayan society."

However, we also know that elezen mature at a slower rate than the other races given the recent lore panel so that explains why the twins still look to be preteens in body.

So a purely -elezen- society might have an age that is older to accompany this. *shrug* Hard to say and that is merely conjecture on my part.

If you think about it the primals are all underage.

Stop looking at Garuda's ass you creeps.

And stop idolizing baraTitan while yer at it.

You mean Grumpy Old Sumo Dad?

He's been a alive for like 2 minutes you pedos.

He was born from like a rock egg.

I'm not sure Eorzea would have actual age of consent laws, or if they did I doubt they would be all-encompassing for all cultures and locations in Eorzea (i.e. Seeker tribes). But if I had to guess, I'd say that around 16 is probably considered the age of adulthood (and that sleeping with anyone younger, unless you're around the same age, would be a taboo). As for age gaps, I think large age gaps would pretty normal and not quite as frowned upon as they are in modern society IRL.

In the real world, significant age gaps are often considered weird because someone who's 20 is still typically getting their life together, likely in college and not yet starting a career, etc. while someone in their 40's is expected to to have a stable job, a home, a family, and be firmly cemented into adulthood. However, in a more medieval-ish setting where after your late teens you're an "adult" and in the same place in life as everyone else struggling to get by, just with less experience and wisdom to use... large age gaps aren't quite as strange--it might even make sense to settle down with an older somebody possessing more wisdom, a home, a steady income, etc. than someone your own age in order to have someone to support you as you're just beginning to wander out into the real world.

This is NOT meant to be a discussion on the ethical nature of relationships between different ages, we all know what's right and wrong in the real world, and its definitely safe to implement those values into Eorzea.

Thank you.

That being said, I'm curious what the role age would play in Eorzea as far relationships (sexual or otherwise) (for the sake of discussion we'll use the human aging convention).

On the first part, you have age of consent.  The only in game reference I could find to it was from "all about the haft"  where he rescues the miqo girls from sex slavery, but pushes them away because they are too young for the flames.

Now, since they were being sold into sex slavery, that tells me that they were at least of an age that it wouldn't be unheard of to be attracted to, but not necessarily considered appropriate since they were far enough from being adults that the Flames wouldnt' take them.  Problem is that age has a lot of variance as well, from 13-19 (Because too young for the military does not necessarily mean too young for adulthood).

Then you look at Longhaft himself.  He was in the mission that rescued them, which tells us he was an adult, and far enough to be trusted with this type of mission, which tells me he was around 26 at the youngest.

That a pretty wide age gap already, now if we assume the age of getting into the military and getting to that post is 21, that would put Longhaft anywhere between 28 and 34.  His relationship with them is not being hidden in the slightest so its safe to assume its considered alright.

1) What do you think the accepted age for starting sexual activity is in Eorzea?

3) How large of a role do you think an age gap plays between two people together?

There's really only one or two reasons to ask this question and all of them are gross.

By extension you are also gross.

Just gross dude.

Thank you.

There's really only one or two reasons to ask this question and all of them are gross.

Just gross dude.

More 16 year olds for me then

Highlander age of consent: honey people are already looking at you as soon as those hormones give you the highlander shape

Anyway! I dunno, usually ages of consent in fantasy races is kind of a weird thing. Some races age faster/slower than others. I assumed highlanders age a little faster than midlanders -- who age hella slower than elezen. Kind of a floppy subject -- I go with the consensus of 16.

Thank you.

Just gross dude.

You are my new favorite. I'm not even going to bother specifying favorite /what/

Thank you.

Just gross dude.

You are my new favorite. I'm not even going to bother specifying favorite /what/

Sorry ur too old for me.

Well for all intent and purpose, the game is in a medieval fantasy setting, with some nations already having advanced technology, while Eorzea is only barely scratching technology. Right now Limsa has the advanced guns, cannons and ships, their technology revolves around high sea's combat. Ul'dah has I believe trains, because of the various train stations in central thanalan. While the best Gridania has is water wheels. Only tech shared between the 3 nations is airships and aether travel.

So for the most part, the nations are still in high middle ages setting, as we've got gunpowder, explosives, and the beginnings of trains. And even during this settings, the age of consent was pretty low. In fact here's a little reference:

In the 12th century, Gratian, the influential founder of Canon law in medieval Europe, accepted age of puberty for marriage to be between 12 and 14 but acknowledged consent to be meaningful if the children were older than 7. There were authorities that said that consent could take place earlier. Marriage would then be valid as long as neither of the two parties annulled the marital agreement before reaching puberty, or if they had already consummated the marriage. It should be noted that Judges honored marriages based on mutual consent at ages younger than 7, in spite of what Gratian had said; there are recorded marriages of 2 and 3 year olds.[3]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_consent

So in Eorzea's case, Age 16 being the age of consent and when they are considered adults in some societies, would be fitting for the period Eorzea seems to revolve around. I know the Hipparion Tribe established on this very forum, that their age of adulthood is 16 assuming they pass the trials of adulthood they invented. My character is from that tribe, and is now an exile, but she did before she left, pass her trials. She is now 17, and considered an adult. In fact she's even engaged to be married, though IC she is waiting 5 days after her namesday to actually get married so she will be 18 when that day comes.

And it's already been established in game that Ul'dah and Sharlayan have a consent age of 16, so I think it is safe to say Gridania and Limsa would be the same. Especially considering their technology is still relatively behind Ul'dah's, with Limsa's gunpowder use being just a couple steps behind Ul'dah's engineering.

So I definitely think Eorzea wise, 16 is the right age group for consent.