Natural Contraceptives of Eorzea

Kailia

Why are most people disregarding my aetheric solution?

Aether is 'natural'. In fact it is what comprises most of life and the elementals in the shroud or whatnot. There is nothing more "natural" than aether.

I am sure any street-vendor would sell a potion of infertility, or be able to cast a spell on it. It would be so much simpler and more effective than using plants or herbs.

What about aether use on jewelry? A focus on a specific intent on a gem on an accessory?

Otto's natural contraceptive is sticking to Elezen females for the most part.  The devs said a few years ago in the forums that cross-racial breeding is rare as fuck, aka bitter tea will fail first before Otto gets an Elezen pregnant.

Careful Otto may be getting Elezen females pregnant easily. They're rare not because of any natural reasons (such as incompatible genes or whatnot) but because of cultural issues. But if they're already getting it down in bed I don't see cultural issues stopping them females from getting pregnant.

Why are most people disregarding my aetheric solution?

Aether is 'natural'. In fact it is what comprises most of life and the elementals in the shroud or whatnot. There is nothing more "natural" than aether.

I am sure any street-vendor would sell a potion of infertility, or be able to cast a spell on it. It would be so much simpler and more effective than using plants or herbs.

My personal knee-jerk reaction away from magic/aetheric solutions is due to an individual I encountered while bored and server-hopping in WoW, where her MyRP profile included what basically translated out to "magic Druid tramp-stamp that allows her to control all aspects of her pregnancies (from not getting pregnant to giving birth to toddlers after only a month to mating with and giving birth to animals) and giving her temporary control over the fertility of anyone she sleeps with". I know it's not a fair reaction to anyone who seriously wants to use magic for birth control, but that was my introduction to the concept and it's always what flashes first through my mind whenever the idea is brought up.

As for typical in-game alchemic solutions... I'll admit it, for me it's OOC bleed. I'm one of those people who had more (and some permanent) damage done by lab-made pharmaceuticals than good, and I had to learn the herbal stuff to replace all the medicines I can't (or refuse to) take. My mental process sort of equates alchemy-crafted medicines as the in-game equivalent of lab-made pharmaceuticals. I won't begrudge someone if they want to make an infertility potion... interestingly, the basic Potion-potion would work in that regard (distilled Mistletoe essence, anyone?).

[Edited to clarify a term]

Considering people's bodies contain aether (of varying amounts), and aether is used in magic, it seems reasonable for a magical spell to be crafted to prevent pregnancy, though that certainly places all responsibility on its success on the magical skill of the user. One little mistake and you're effed. :P It's a tactic my partner and I used with two characters in TERA rp. The caveat was it had to be cast a time before, which accidentally led to OOCly unintentionally forgetting it once, which... well! xD

I like all the other alchemical suggestions in here, as well. Not sure I buy into alchemy = pharmaceuticals, though; it's a completely different brand of medicine involving herbal extracts and magic.

Not sure I buy into alchemy = pharmaceuticals, though; it's a completely different brand of medicine involving herbal extracts and magic.

Clarification that I'll go back and edit: alchemy = lab-made pharmaceuticals, as the term 'pharmaceutical' means any compound (natural or lab-created) that has medical uses. My bad on that one.

Edited: I had a lot of stuff written, but as soon as I hit the post button I felt that I had gone on a psudo-political rant that could horribly derail the thread further. So, yeah... it's just a matter of how my mental process works. If it takes ingredients/compounds/implements that can't be used/made/found in a kitchen/cooking space, I feel like it's starting to tread into chemistry.

No-one has to agree with my view on this, heh. It's just how my mind and mental process works.

I've always kind of presumed that Miqo'te females control their own fertility and are only fertile when they want to be, when sufficiently impressed with a Tia or Nuhn, for instance.  But that's probably a little bit "out there."

I'd agree that's pretty darn out there, but to each their own! I don't know of any biology in higher-mammals that would allow a female to control her own fertility.

I too do the bitter tea route and use a RNG, since such things are never 100% effective. I just leave details vague since we don't have anything specific in game. xD

Here's a question for ya. How do you roll the RNG? I had found a couple D&D style data's, but I haven't the faintest clue what DC10 and such are lol

Honestly I'd just use a 1d100  website and choose your percent (10% chance of getting pregnant? Land on 1-10). xD It's flawed but it gives some semblance of randomness to things!

Considering people's bodies contain aether (of varying amounts), and aether is used in magic, it seems reasonable for a magical spell to be crafted to prevent pregnancy, though that certainly places all responsibility on its success on the magical skill of the user. One little mistake and you're effed. :P It's a tactic my partner and I used with two characters in TERA rp. The caveat was it had to be cast a time before, which accidentally led to OOCly unintentionally forgetting it once, which... well! xD

I like all the other alchemical suggestions in here, as well. Not sure I buy into alchemy = pharmaceuticals, though; it's a completely different brand of medicine involving herbal extracts and magic.

Spell: Rubberskin

Lasts for 30 minutes and blocks semen equal to 10% of your current ovulation.

You're so right, I stand completely corrected.  I don't know how I could have ever got my wires so crossed on this important character issue.  Thanks for pointing all this out for me.

Ahh, I feel almost guilty now, as though I were telling you you were "wrong" or something, haha. To be fair it's merely my opinion but I feel strong enough about it being close enough the the lore's intentions that I sometimes feel defensive when I see miqo'te portrayed as something a bit "less" than the other typical races. I still see them all as individuals who make their own choices but I don't think that their lore really suggests that they are hedonistic by nature.

As far as I have seen, in no-way, shape or form have miqo'te been suggested as more hedonistic than anyone else.

The miqo'te dancing girls in Ul'dah, miqo'te prostitutes in Limsa Lominsa, and so on aren't suggestive in that regard? :) In all seriousness, though, I think it seems to be more that there's a stereotype of miqo'te being hedonistic  (certainly among RPers) which is, like most stereotypes, not really accurate.

The dancing girls don't really strike me as something suggestive. To be fair, I attribute a degree of their more common portrayal as favouritism because many people like the idea of "cat girls" and so I really think that they are merely appealing to aesthetics. As far as I have seen, there have been portrayals of prostitutes for other races too with exception to lalafel(thankfully) and males, but just because you don't see either of them around I wouldn't just assume that non-lalafels and females in general are more hedonistic than males.

Though I am bringing this a little off-topic, sorry for that OP and everyone else.