The Red Wings: Take Flight

Raimy had been expecting the kid to come in and make sure he was doing his task right and to finish it. When he hears Mikh'a call to him he gives a little shrug looking around the lab and hopes whatever he grabbed was the right stuff. Everything he left behind he tried to shove in the safe. He can't help but wonder with the lack of people storming the building if there wasn't really a trap afterall and everyone else was just paranoid. No one tried to kill them or arrest them or anything. Maybe they're just overreacting after a failed mission? That VIP was hot though. Raimy frowns thinking of a shame it is someone so good looking got killed on his watch.

He picks up the crate of notes and comes back out to go stand near the kid. He doesn't say anything but just waits. He is still fully in his uniform. He can lose the jacket but he's pretty sure Erik said they were going somewhere cold. Raimy hates the cold. He also hates the snow.

Raimy follows Mikh'a down to the hanger and loads the crate wherever looks most ideal to his old sailor eyes or wherever the kid tells him. It is shortly after he secures the crate that Erik comes in and tells them to be ready to launch. Raimy could tell Erik was talking to Mikh'a, but out of habit can't help but quickly respond with a little, “Aye aye.”

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Mikh'a knew what Raimy was thinking...

Now was not the time to start fighting though, so it was good he did not. The frail boy secured the hatch as soon as Erik was inside, the ship out of the loading bay by the time it had clicked in to place. He was no pilot and wouldn't even attempt to interfere as he headed swiftly for the deck of the ship while tugging a pair of goggles over his eyes. ( Wind resistance plus cool, after all. ) His ears flexed and he leaned against the side of the ship to survey the rooftops of the Goblet as they rose skyward, making a mental note to tie his hair away from his face.

His time on the ship was minimal and never airborne, were the situation not so dire he'd have been a lot more excited about their little trip to the north. He scanned steadily for figures of interest, anything that might need notes made even as they pulled away from their home and Mikh'a let out a slow and apprehensive breath while reaching for a portable telescope from the nearby pouch hanging. They had better surveillance, he knew, but this was good for close range.

His next goal however was to find out why.

Why Ishgard. What could they possibly find there to help them clear their names in Ul'dah? He'd have to keep his head low, if not only for his own sake but A'laric and Sieg's as well.

"Erik--" he turned to find the captain, big pink eyes searching for orders. He wouldn't mess this up.

((Yes that worked, Siha.  Thanks.))

"It's better than doing nothing, if we can end this quickly..." she trailed off but she was sure the others knew exactly what she was thinking, it would be worth it. She merely nodded to Clio's directions, of course, she gave Sieghart a strained but reassuring look before she stepped away from the pair of them. "I'll get a letter out immediately, I'll ring you on the pearl when I'm done and we can go from there. I'll be fine on my own for now" she said simply and pulled her robes closer before heading towards her own alley without letting them protest. She need only find a post Moogle and they could be on their way, they'd need to move quickly if they really wanted to catch their assailants by surprise and she had every intention of not hindering that.

Though most saw it the Miqo'te had grown up in clan and having taken care of herself she had learned early on that being swift and using her environment was necessary to survival, she called on that now to sink into the shadowy recesses and thanks to her short robes she was able to dart down the streets at a fast pace. She drew little looks, just another Miqo'te skulking through the La Noscean port, her robes however would net her more attention...she'd need to replace them. She'd need to cover her hair as well, maybe her eyes. That ran through her mind as she jogged briskly towards her best bet for a Moogle, Limsa Lominsa, she didn't relish the idea of going into the city so soon but it was needed. Well she had plenty of time to think of a way around that on the run there didn't she?

As paranoid as she'd been there was no contingent of soldiers waiting at the gates or the bandits for that matter. Composing herself she'd walked through with a bashful smile at the guards, she even recognized a few of them, it would be sad if this got to them. Ducking her head she'd headed straight for Hawkers Alley and snagged herself some new clothes, an unassuming outfit of a dock worker. With the bandanna on her head she felt much better, hair tucked beneath it to give her a little more comfort, while she casually made for one of the post Moogles. It would be simple enough to send a letter to Kiht and then she had a few other things to check into, maybe her father could help them while they were in the area in fact, that thought brought a smile to her face and with a bit more confidence she lengthened her stride.

"What is good is often forgotten, what is bad is often hidden." he whispered to himself, quoting the Enchiridion. He turned to the Miqo'te as they moved through the sky, all but startled from his thoughts. He thought carefully before speaking, "We will find safety for us there, Ishgard is not a member of the Alliance so it will make it hard to be track." He moved to the table in the back of the cabin and motioned to Mikh'a to follow. He undid his hair and then did something unexpected. He removed his right eye. The eye sported a scar but few knew or noticed the eye was false. A masterpiece of alchemic and goldsmith design. The aether shard of ice was the finishing touch to it, attuning to Erik's natural affinity for ice aether. It locked the artificial piece into his life force, much more lifelike then an ordinary false eye. He handed the eye to Mikh'a. "Keep this with you. Where we need to go I cannot have it with me."

Mikh'a frowned as the eye came out, hand coming out to close around it as it was passed to him. It was a heavy task, he knew the weight of what the artifact could do, moreso than others might have, and his ears pinned down against the sides of his head as he nodded. "I will." the boy promised, giving a glance over his shoulder toward Raimy as if half expecting something to come from him that wasn't necessary to the situation before he turned back again to their captain. "I'm sure you have a backup plan if something happens should you need it and we get separated so I won't press about it." Though it was obvious he wanted to.

He could be so like Siha it was hard to believe they weren't blood related.

Instead he started digging in to his belt pouch before pulling out small cloth he wrapped the fake eye in and continued talking instead. "You know pretty much everything so I'm sure you already know that I've got to keep my head lower than low while we're in Ishgard." Blowing an Inquisitor and his household to Kingdom Come was not exactly what one would call a friendly act. Mikh'a shifted his weight as he secured the eye and then looked over his shoulder again toward Raimy though it was to Erik he continued to speak. "What will they know, do you think, about who tried to frame us in Ul'dah? You said you had informants there." He knew very little for the time being about the political side of their job, still far too fresh a face in the Immortal Flames to be little more than a tiny nuisance of a stumbling private. He'd know in due time, just not yet. "Will you have us split up when we get there to cover more ground or..?"

He vaguely wondered if Raimy as an Elezen would have the most fruitful pull from their hunting.

Raimy doesn't follow Erik and Mikh'a to the back of the room. Erik didn't motion for him and he isn't going to presume anything. He wants to be tight with this crew, as close as he was with his last, but he knows that will take time and he can't just barrel into things and throw himself around. For now he'll just take things slow and wait for orders, playing the good little cabin boy. He is more than half tempted to go volunteer himself for some other task. Crow's nest maybe? He doesn't just in case Erik has specific orders for him after his more intimate conversation with Mikh'a is over.

When Mikh'a says Erik knows everything Raimy wonders if Erik knows the threats Raimy has issued against Mikh'a before. He glances down and toward the door slightly, wondering if he should cut his loses now or keep trying to make amends with the crew. He never really meant to join them. He just needed to get to Titor's notes to help him with his issues at that time. He ended up getting far more in the way than he helped and was no use at all. Once again he dived in without thinking and now finds himself out of his element. Another reason he doesn't say or do much, he isn't sure what to say or do.

He looks back up at the other two when Mikh'a alludes to something dark in his past. Why would Mikh'a have to keep his head low anywhere? The kid is perfect. Everyone loves him. He pushes the thought away as the conversation turns to more interesting topics, like the current state of things and what they'll do about it. Earlier he was hoping they would split up, but now he worries Mikh'a needs someone to watch his back. The only enemy Raimy has in Ishgard is the snow.

His red shirt he wears under his Flame coat feels a little colder just thinking about it. He was wearing that shirt when he almost froze to death the last time.

[[Don't mid me carting you around for a little while xD]]

Cliodhna ended the link and sighed. Sounds Piper had a bit of bad luck but at leas he had a place to keep them for awhile thankfully. Regardless of Sieg's decision; he could stay there safely until he got out or help them as they tried to salvage the situation. If he did decide to bail; Piper would be enough to help Cliodhna keep an eye on Siha. She knew her and Erik were close and did't want any harm to come to the small Keeper. 

Brushing back her soggy bangs out of her eyes again, she relayed the information of their apparent safe house in Limsa and made her way to Peppergrass; her dark purple chocobo she'd manage to bring with her from Ala Mhigo.  Riffling through the saddlebag she pulled out two large cloaks. Pulling off her flame garb and stuffing it back into the bag, she quickly fastened the cloak around her shoulders before tossing the other one to Sieg. "To keep warm and to keep that axe hidden." Cliodhna murmured, swinging into Pepper's saddle with less grace than she liked; that wound was still making her movements a bit cumbersome. 

She figured Siha had already started on her way there; Cliodhna had seen her part ways with Sieg and Limsa was the best chance for a Mog mail carrier....though it was a bit dangerous to be on her own; it was easier for the Keeper to blend in versus the two of them in two with her. Motioning for Sieghart to follow, the two made their way out of the Drydocks; with little to no difficulty. 

As they neared the Ferry docks in Costa del Sol, Cliodhna caught sight of a somewhat tall figure crouched atop the odd rock formation that arched over the road. Glancing up, she tugged the regns on Pepper, urging her to a stop. "Get down, I see ya already." Though soft in the night air; Cliodhna knew it would reach his ears.

Youkio flashed a grin and stood before casually leaping off the ledge and landing in front of them. "My my my Tempest.....Lover's escape?" He asked, eyeing Sieghart. "I knew ya kept turnin me down for someone but never woul'da guessed I'd get ta meet him finally." 

Cliodhna shook her head after giving Seig a look signifying he not question her nickname. "Ya know when ya talk Piper, it tends to show people how dumb ya can be....That's not him." She scoffed as Youkio gave her a pouting look; ears flat against his head and hands shoved in his pockets. "Hey, it's Youkio for now and Ya ain't gotta be so harsh, was just tryin to say I was happy for ya...." He mumbled, before shrugging it off. "Hey ya said there was a third? Where is he?"

"She and she should be in the city by now. I gotta go find her once we get there so let's quit draggin our asses with all the chatter and move." Cliodhna replied, already antsy from being on the middle of the road for so long. 

"Ah, there's my Tempest! I missed ya, luv. " Youkio purred, taking a moment to hug her low on the waist and nuzzle her shoulder. "Already bought off the ferryman so don't worry about corssin, let's go."

Once on the ship, Cliodhna tapped her pearl once again in hopes of checking in on Siha.

Erik explained, "I can see through that eye, no matter how far it is from me. That is why you will carry it." He then motioned to Raimy, "I know you are new to us, and you have not found your fit yet, but that is a matter of subtlety. You are more flamouent then many, and such a trait is fine. But there must be a check to it, a time to set aside desires and rivalries and focus with professionalism at the task at hand. I must do so. Were we to sit and talk for hours of my past you would wonder why I am not enraged always. The secret is.... I am, but I keep it subtle for the sake of the mission, my Red Wings. To be with us you must focus, something I am sure you can do. So here is what I need of you both."

Erik paced to stand before both. "Mikh'a and Raimy, the three of us must go by assumed identities here. Mikh'a and I are well known in Dragonhead. I do not know if you are Raimy, but I would assume you take an alias as you are on the Red Wing's rolls. Now I am known well in Dragonhead, as I said. I spend much time here. Even with this cloak and a missing eye I would be known. So Raimy, your task will be there. Think up a cover and head to the Chapel of the Fury, a small hole in the wall. Find and deliver this sealed note to the Abbot. I am giving you my trust for this task and know you will succeed."

He then looked to Mikh'a he spoke, "You must think up a name, but your role is already made. I will be calling myself Ulrich, a mercenary and you are my slave. We will travel south to the Observatory. You will act as my hearld, introduce yourself as my servant and tell them your master has need of their instruments. I will come with you but keep silent. You will speak for me. I am sorry for such a low role, but it will be needed if my hunch is correct."

Ul'dah. The busy streets bustling with life under the Sun offered a much different sight at night. Its pulsating veins, at all bells oft busy with low peddlers, dishonest merchants and those without the means to oppose their greed; those very streets were now nigh empty. Under the veil of the night, Ul'dah was not a Jewel but an unsightly wart, a nest rustling with what the plague of gold and power had brought in men. Greed. Thugs hired to make ends meet, or deceptively sent to meet their own end. Cutthroats clutching daggers and needles, lying in wait for any carefree soul carrying too much coin. Beggars, fossilized in their posture of shame and supplication, who have abandoned all will to fight.

The scum of these parts. Scum.

With the best of his ability, Kahn'a swept those grim thoughts off his mind. There always were filthy hands pounding against the walls of the city, vainly hoping to catch a spark, the secret of wealth, for themselves. And without any stalwart mind to take action, there always would be. Could that be the reason? A reason? Something that would explain why they suddenly became the hunted.

The Keeper slipped through the streets silently, unnoticed but for the faint creak of his sandals. His steps were swift but careful. He knew that there were corners good people ought not to tread on, lest they fancied be associated with the unsavory, the shady, the cloaks. He also knew that there lived the true eyes of Ul'dah. Those that never really moved, and who were never truly seen. He meant to go there.

"Where you off to?" Or so went the candid question asked by Mikh'a, a sweet little youth too clean and too gentle to be cast in the mud. He had asked the question suns and suns ago, but no matter, the voice of the boy still echoed in his mind. He did not really know the answer. Their Captain, Erik, had not given them much to go on. They, the Red Wings, must have upset somebody best left undisturbed, for they were now branded a disposable lot, a worn-out card to be thrown away, or so they had assumed.

The air in the small streets of Ul'dah carried the fresh scent of fish, fesces, burnt meat. Enough to get hardened men's minds a good whirl. The smell was horribly oppressive, slithering into the Miqo'te's nose and down his throat. Kahn'a quickened his pace, nose wrinkled.

It mattered little that he was put out of comfort, this was an ordeal that needed be taken care of. They needed information. If they knew the real face of the enemy, they could come up with a plan. A defense. He could do this.

And after a final turn, there he was. Pearl Lane, and he had made it without raising suspicion. Kahn'a approached a wooden door, and memories streamed in his mind. He had come here before. This was an abandoned haven, its former owner a befriended enemy. But that night, it was not devoid of life when it should have.

A cloaked figure stood there, a ray of moonlight cast on the dark piece of cloth.

Kahn'a turned to stone under the frame of the door, eyes fixed on the figure.

"Are you here to help?" Kahn'a managed to whisper, inching slowly inside the shelter, the door closing shut in an uncomfortable noise.

"We have confirmation." came the voice through A'trus' link pearl. The tall miqo'te paused and stood still as a statue as his eyes watched the figure now slowly making his way down Pearl Lane. 

The Flame Leuitenant unsung the rifle from his back and lay prone on the edge of the building he was perched upon like a bird of prey, his thin tongue wetting his lips as he calculated the wind slowly moaning through the city. 

The miqo'te slid the bullet into his weapons chamber and drove the firing pin home as he pressed his right eye to the scope, his breaths slowing as his ears pressed flat to the top of his head.  He watched carefully as he spoke into the link pearl, his compressed ear activating it's broadcasting capabilities.

"That is Od'hilkas?" A'trus spoke softly as he fixed his cross hairs over Kahn'A's knee. He flicked the safety of his weapon off with his thumb and waited. 

The hooded figure that Kahn'a had seen was Sergeant Rungee and Rungee spoke softly.as he watched Kahn'a

look at him.

"Absolutely. I've seen him before in the Flame Hall." Rungee's voice was flat as Kahn'a shut the door. A'trus saw the door shut and exhaled slowly as he spoke.

"Then you know the procedure. We bring him in alive. This miqo'te served Ul'dah once. He deserves our respect once he is chains but not before. Our orders say the Red Wings are armed and dangerous. We flush this Od'hilkas out, I take the shot, and go from there. We are go. We are go. One in the chamber and it's hot. Drinks on me soldiers."

A'turs tensed and waited for what he knew was coming as he watched through his firearm's scope.

Down in the street, Rungee was joined by two, massive figures in Flame uniforms. The twin Roe brother's Burnt Rock and burnt Tree, "A'trus' Hounds" as the squad called them. They could flush out any enemy if need be. They carried massive axes and wore chain mail underneath their coats. Burnt Tree emitted a grunt as A'trus spoke through their link pearls and Rungee nodded as he reached into his pouch at his side with his right hand.

"Drink's are on the leuitenant boys." Rungee chuckled as he pulled out something. "Let's give this a flash to celebrate. We doing the Mergrey approach."

"You blowing the door?" Burnt Rock grunted and spat. "Why do we have these axes?"

"Hey if it works for that terrorist, why not me?" Rungee said as he threw the explosive in his hand at the door. 

"Fire in the hole!" Rungee shouted as he turned and covered his head. The door to the building Kahn'a had entered exploded in sparks and splinters as the small explosive destroyed the barricade. The Roe twins hauled for the door as fast as they could and were through the smoking gap in an instant, their eyes peeled for their target to capture then and there or drive Kahn'a out into Rungee's wwaiting net or A'trus line of fire.

Meanwhile on the roof, the Flame Leuitenant heard his squads small airship zip overhead, his two keeper spotters and their keen vision watching the streets through looking glasses. 

"Spotter Team Zulu in position." came a female voice from the airship through the linkpearl and A'trus readied himself.

"Spotter Team Zulu, this is Loft." A'trus said slowly as he watched the Roe twins plunge into the building and readied himself. " You are my eyes if he runs." A'trus wrapped his finger on the trigger and waited.

He hoped Kahn'a would run. Hunts were never fun if the target didn't run.

"Fire in the hole!"

It bit. Found them, Cap'. This was all Kahn'a could think of before the shockwave hit him. For a moment that lasted not longer than a blink, the creepy hideout was lit in bright white light, dancing shadows of splinters hurled into the room, distorted as if the sudden flash of light had blinded them too. But in an instant, the mystical scene was gone. It became dust and smoke.

The Miqo'te tumbled forwards, making the best of the sudden force throwing him further in. He scarcely had time to land that the sound of men, stomping the paved floor like a herd of aldgoats, thundered against the his ears.

Tripwires, he thought. This was one of Askier's old safehouse. And the madman had rigged the entire place, forbidding any clumsy bloke to get in and run off with the place's secrets. They would most likely meet a firey end. Just there.

And so would Kahn'a if he kept on standing so still. With very little time to assess the situation. He needed to get off safe and sound. That was the priority. But with his sight and sense of smell impaired by all the whirling dust and smoke, all that he could afford was a bold move. The lieutenant caught himself smirking.

"You'd be proud," he said simply, speaking to someone clearly not there.

And roughly at the same time the giant soldiers' boots tensed the thin cable he had gone over, just at the doorstep, Kahn'a threw himself on the floor, somehow managing to squeeze through their large frames. Mechanical contraptions be blessed, their timing were always impeccable for those that knew their purpose. A larger explosion lit the room a second time, and Kahn'a felt his body being pushed back out, to the street.

Shadows, shadows! He needed cover, for in plain sight, he would be a goner. Picking himself back up, Kahn'a peered through the mess of flying particles. Smoke cloaked him, but he knew that as soon as he would see, so would they. He could not wait, he had to move first.

Left... Or right? The Miqo'te barked out of rage, this was not the time to choke with doubts. Left it would be! Breaking into a mad dash, hoping to make for the cover of the Ul'dahn galleries, Kahn'a rushed towards Onyx Lane and the likes. Yet he was completely unaware of the presence on the rooftops. His mind functioned like that of a prey, the urgency of getting out of dodge hammering his thoughts.

There was no sense of obedience, no allegiance or orders. No, none of that. Instead there were hunter and prey. And it was the first time the Miqo'te played that game as the runner.

Rungee had been standing several paces back from the building as his two Roe's had entered. He had stood there, watching carefully. The hyur's body had been tensed. He had hunted enough targets with A'trus to be ready for almost anything. Thing was, he wasn't ready for that second explosion that ripped across the front of the building as Kahn'a dove into the street as the twin Roe barreled into the building. The explosion filled the lane with flashes of whirling colors and Rungee was blown off his feet in surprise. The sergeant hit the ground hard and groaned as he felt pain shoot through his shoulders.

"Thal's balls." Rungee gasped as he tilted his head and coughed. His dazed eyes watched Kahn'a stand in the street for just a moment, feral emotions crossing his face. Rungee watched the fellow Flame for an instant before Kahn'a tore down the street. Rungee didn't bother to follow. It was A'trus' game now and Rungee had two injured or dead soldiers.

"Healers front in Pearl Lane. The twins are down. The twins are down." Rungee gasped into the link pearl as he continued to roll in pain on the ground. 

On the roofs, A'trus was already moving. His speed was swift as he leapt along with a feline grace, his eyes hard and a scowl on his face. He should have guessed the Red Wings would play with explosives. They had that damn terrorist amongst them. A'trus ignored Rungee's shouts as he leapt and scaled a section of building, his rifle  strapped to his back. 

Overhead the small airship Zulu sped alomg, following pace with Kahn'a as the keen eyes of the two Keepers watched Ol'hilkas running below.

"Sir, we have him headed down Onyx." one of the watchers buzzed through the link pearl. A'trus flared his nostrils as he reached the crest of the building and scaled the top. He skidded to the edge and looked down as he unslung his firearm. His mis-matched eyes swept the streets quickly. His Seeker eyes weren't as sharp as the Keepers above him but  he caught sight of his target all the same. The Seeker knelt down and pressed the butt of his rifle into the cradle of his shoulder as his hand wrapped around the grip and trigger.

A'trus went absolutely still, his breaths suddenly.stopping as well as his cross hair centered over Kahn'a left knee. The seeker slowed his hammering heart and the slight shaking from his strained for arms from the climb ceased for an instant. In that moment he was perfectly still save for the gentle breeze tussling his hair.  A'trus slowly squeezed the trigger as he had thousands of times before and felt the immense recoil as the firearm discharged its payload with a thunderous roar and sent the pointed bullet  forward toward's Kahn'a's leg 

The miqo'te didn't stop to see if he had hit. If Kahn'a was hit he would find out in a moment. A'trus was already sprinting down the rooftops , his feet crunching tile and dust beneath them.as his fingers nimbly produced another bullet and loaded it into the weapon as he closed on his target.

A'trus had learned as a hunter in his clan to never stop moving at the target, even if you had it. The hunt wasn't over till you had your prey in your grasp. And A'trus hadn't reached that point yet. His drill instructor had long ago beaten into him two words: Improvise. Adapt.

He was doing both now with Kahn'a.

No matter where to, you just got to keep moving!

Reading books of thrilling adventures, the mind thirsty of action could think that such a tensed moment unfolded in loudness. But it would be wrong. A hunt was never heard. Not the successful ones, in the very least. No, that game was meant to be played and sorted in a few moments. One could have all the preparation work one wanted, the outcome always depended on a single shot, just a few nonces.

And there it was. The decisive shot.

On the edges of the Keeper's sight, he saw a flash of light. He heard a noise, like powerful claps of thunder. But most importantly he felt. He felt hot. Was it the noise, it's suddenness or the shot itself that made him fall? Did it matter?

Kahn'a roared in pain, he had been shot. It was as if his body stopped answering to his command, or rather, it was answering something else. Something primitive. A wounded beast. His vision blurred with tears and his jaw snapped open to yell in pain. He was falling. During what seemed an eternity, he watched the floor slowly closing in, and there was nothing else. On the floor, there were droplets of a red liquid spread out.

It was his blood. This looks ugly, Kahn'a thought, and it is a leash they can pull on to get to me. He knew it, victory was in his enemy's grasp.

Bullocks to that! He would run. Angling himself to land on his curled back, Kahn'a regained balance though his forces were rapidly escaping his body, and his right leg throbbed with pain. He spared a hasty look at it and winced. On the lower part, there was a red mess with a black hole at its epicenter. Damnit, damnit!

In a miserable attempt of a jog, Kahn'a dragged himself into the corridors of the inner part of Ul'dah. Perhaps there was still a chance. He had enough sense of combat to grab his bow, and shot piercing looks around, desperately looking for his aggressor. The irony brought more tears in his eyes. He had been shot by one of those accursed devices coming from beyond the border. One of those he had to deliver safely. One of those that had been plundered.

In the end, the pain was so sharp that he had to resort to his bow and use it as a crutch, but even then all he could do was stumble a few clumsy steps forward before he finally fell, barely attaining the red carpets of the better part of town. Face down, Kahn'a breathed out, hissing left and right to try and cope with the burning sensation.

He waited for the one to come. He could already hear him. So before he arrived, Kahn'a worked himself on his back, and laid there, hands and legs spread, offering a pitiful sight, but also one of an individual neutralized. He was not maddened like fanatics. He wanted to live.

If Mikh'a knew what was going on with Kahn'a right now, so help him A'trus he would bite you so hard.

The tiny ginger considered for a moment what Erik had to tell them. Ulrich. They were to call him Ulrich, he was a mute, and Mikh'a would be his voice. So it came to pass he'd have to play the diplomat, and the poor little halfbreed was more than apprehensive about the path set for him. He had to laugh, however. "Your slave?" It was just a funny situation to him, that was all. It was better to have a light heart in this situation, that was for sure; as soon as they landed their daunting task would begin. "Zana'sae." he said finally. "I don't need a last name, it's not relevant. If I'm a slave my name would be my master's house." He was not so naive not to know this.

He gave Raimy a look however, one that was uncharacteristic coming from him to the Elezen. "Don't over think the task, don't fret about it, and don't act like you're going to fail. If you do, you will, and I have faith in you." Titor wasn't there to pick up Raimy's spirits and the task fell to him whether he liked it or not.

Looking back to Erik again he said, "I assume I should be vague but forceful when it comes to your needs with the instruments, the more important it seems with as little information put in to it as possible the more urgent the matter will come across." Sure he was young, but his time spent already in the company of the Red Wings had afforded him so much training, and he'd wizened up to the life he'd inserted himself in to over the last several months. He had a role to fill, and he was learning how to fill it as swiftly and efficiently as possible. If only the people that were working so hard to train him could see him now. ( LOOK AT HIM KEEPING HIS HEAD UNDER PRESSURE GUYS. LOOOOOOOK. )

"How long to Ishgard? I'm assuming Montblanc will be watching the ship for us? Or is he on his own mission?"

A'trus' ears flicked and he watched as his target began limping and screamed in pain. He watched as he target began to languish and slowly stumble along. A'trus took in a deep inhale and caught the metallic odor of blood on the air as the wind blew the scent his way. He gave a small grunt as he looked over the edge and watched as Kahn'a fell over into the ground and lay there, bleeding. A'trus had to pause and swallow as he shouldered his rifle and aimed it at the prone form on the ground. 

Od'hilkas was wounded, not helpless. Sometimes the wounded targets were even more dangerous than the intact ones. A'trus knelt and kept his weapon aimed as the airship Zulu came to a stop over Kahn'a and hovered above the rooftops as one of the spotters aboard flipped open a shutter and let the light of a red lantern spill out.

"Target is down and under the red." A'trus said sternly into his link pearl as his ear pressed down and activated his pearl while the wind tussled his hair.  "Chain him. He's in my sight."

"Aye sir." came a reply. Down in the street a hyur in a Flame uniform sprinted from around the corner and then slowed as he slowly neared Kahn'a. The hyur held metal shackles in one hand and a club in the other to beat Kahn'a with if he resisted the binds. The soldier drew close and then paused as he saw the gushing blood oozing from Kahn'a's leg. He took a deep breath as the red lantern light spilled down onto the street.

A handful if other Flames spilled into the street, several carrying bows. They stood still as they watched the soldier with the shackles drew close to Kahn'a and then, rather forcibly went to bind the shackles behind Kahn A's back and bind him.

A'trus watched carefully as his man worked.

"We will need a healer for his leg immediately." A'trus ordered into his link pearl. Someone replied but A'trus uncurled his ears and slowly scooted closer to the edge and the targtet until he was looking directly down at Kahn'a. A figure in white robes entered the street and began walking towards Kahn'a, who would have likely been bound by now but if he resisted and overpowered the soldier trying to shackle Kahn'a, A'trus would put another round into Kahn'a.

A'trus aimed his rifle and then shouted loud enough for Kahn'a to hear him.

"Well run, Leuitenant Od'hilkas.  But this is as far as you go. Do you know who I am?"

Thump. Thump. Thump.

This was the recurring sound pounding in his ears. His own head felt heavy, unresponsive. But a banging headache was the last of his worries. Through the mist of his eyes, Kahn'a could see multiple figures gathered around him.

Don't look at me. Not like that.

Like a child caught red-handed, the Miqo'te wanted to disappear. The ground splitting in two to form a mouth of earth, rocks and fire. Overly dramatic, but it would do the trick. Alas, this was fantasy. There would be no godly intervention for Kahn'a. Not that he truly expected one, his mind was just reeling stupid ideas to flee from the reality of his shameful situation. A Flame Officier struck in the middle of the city, and by his very brothers of arms.

So to save what he felt was left of his honor, he complied as best he could. Clenching his jaw shut, Kahn'a struggled to keep the throbs snaking in his leg inside. But even if he could forget about the sensation, there was the smell of blood, so very strong. That, he could not overlook. His body would not let him.

Just keep it inside, you've been trained strong.

He also made a point to remain still as filthy hands lifted him, slid against him to bind him in chains. A weak growl that he could not help struck against his fangs in a feral reaction. There was no need, no point for struggle. But it felt no less shameful. Ears pinned downed, Kahn'a then picked up on a distrustingly loud voice calling out to him. He opened an eye, a mix of mild embarrassment and burning hatred shining through.

It had to be that shite-eater. Yes, he was the only one with enough sanity to stand so far out of reach, perched high, probably feeling on top of the world too. A Miqo'te. That was all he could see from his uncomfortable lying place.

It asked a question, Kahn'a steeled his resolve and smirked an ugly rictus for all answers.

I care not, he attempted to convince himself. But his mouth twitched, threatening to spill all the venom the Keeper wanted to spit at the perched one. Filthy words. Pointless ones. The fallen could never inspire an smidge of regret in who had struck them down.

Kahn'a swallowed the venom away. And it was painful to keep it in.

A'trus watched as Kahn'a was bound and then , and only then did he unshoulder his weapon and holster it across his back. The male Seeker looked down at his indignant foe. The male then chose his way down and scrambled down the face of the building with skilled ease, landing neatly in the street. His boots pronounced each step A'trus took but there was no cocky pride in his eyes. Only the look of a man who has done their duty. Almost cold was his look as he approached Kahn'a.

"Silence is an option as always. You as a fellow lieutenant are deserving of this option." A'trus paused and raised a hand to stop the healer. The white robed figure froze as A'trus met Kahna's stare as Kahn'a was dragged to his feet by the soldier whom had bound him in chain. A'trus peered at Kahn'a and then nodded gravely.

"Leuitenant Od'hilkas, I am Leuitenant A'trus "Loft" M.,  officer of the "Black Chains" retrevial and recovery unit. You stand accused of treason against Ul'dah and her majesty. You and the rest of Red Wings are to be gathered and made to stand trial. You will be held against your will until said time of trial from which you shall be found guilty or innocent. You will be held without bail for an indefinate period. If you wish to offer the location of your fellow Red Wing members you may do so now. Your cooperation will be positive for you and will be evaluated during your military hearing. As one officer to another, I hope you will make the right choice and forsake your tratorious path and serve Ul'dah once again. Failure to disclose their location will be viewed as further treason."

A'trus watched Kahn'a intently, waiting for the reply, watching the blood oozing from Kahn'a's leg. He would let the healer work on it in a moment. But he wanted to measure this miqo'te's character first.

A nasty ball of spit was rolling dangerously around Kahn'a's tongue. Never in his life had he wanted to mess somebody up like in that very instant. Did he have that disgusting face when Askier once shot at him, right in the face? A thought swiftly chased before it could settle, for it called another burn in Kahn'a's endeavours.

Lifted from the ground, Kahn'a grunted, the chains were tight and he could feel an arm going numb. When he met the Miqo'te's satisfied gaze, a glint of madness passed through Kahn'a's own orbits. Twelve be damned, that sod was so full of it! He trembled, struggling to keep quiet. Everything, his scent, his sight, his sodding smirk, everything urged Kahn'a to just claw at his face, to seek out petty and fruitless revenge.

But he would not give in.

It was a test. A test of resilience. The teeth of the Keeper creaked in a sinister noise as he clenched his jaw shut some more. He had already fallen disgracefully, those sods would have to work for aught he would say. He kept a leveled stare at the other Lieutenant, not quite as fierce as it looked in his mind. The pain was twisting Kahn'a's features in a grimace, one he held in front of the other.

For all he knew, the other was spitting gibberish at him. Treason? Right. Sweep your boss' doorstep lad, there's something brown and smelly down there. Still kept quiet, only wincing at the slight shakes he was given, as if that was supposed to encourage him to talk.

He would not give in. Not before it was time. He had a plan.

A'trus studied Kahn'a and his expressions, something between a feral snarl and a hateful display. A wounded beast ready to spit but held in check by some.shreds of civilization.  A'trus snorted and sucked in air through his nose as he made a slow tsk, tsk, tsk.

"Your animalistic fury and indulgences of silence aren't going to help you or your comrades in the end, Od'hilkas. It only adds fuel to the fire of your guilt. I pray that a deep sleep restores the rational side of your mind and you will save yourself from the chasim your Captain has dug you and the rest of your unit. I'm just a fellow officer, Od'hilkas. Its you and your actions that made us enemies." 

A'trus looked at the man holding Kahn'a on his feet and nodded. The man nodded back before he hefted his club and swung it down violently onto the back of Kahn'a's skull in a act to send the Keeper into the land of sleep. A'trus turned as he heard the crack of wood against Kahn'a's skull and waved his hand at the healer. The figure in white moved forward as ordered and began the process of restoring Kahn'a's wounded leg. 

"Kapapapa." A'trus said, looking up at the airship hovering overhead. A high pitched voice spoke as the lalafell pilot eagerly answered.

"Sir, excellent shooting as always. How can I assist you?" 

A'trus chuckled at the male's exuberance.

"Tell your spotter crew excellent work. I want you to lower a lift for our target and then fly him to our cells in the desert. Our orders were to keep the Red Wings secure outside the city and away from any sympathizers within our ranks. And you are to inform Kresha to pull out any information from Od'hilkas she can by her means."

"I understand sir." Kapapapa answered, his voice slightly darkened by the mention of Kresha and her means of extracting information. A'trus then turned and watched as the healer let the aether flow into Kahn'a's wound. A'trus stood and then llifted his hand to his ear and pressed his pearl.

"Sergeant Rungee, what is your status?"

"I'm banged up." Rungee was slow to reply and A'trus felt his stomach knot as his sergeant continued. "But the twins are dead. Both if them. Whatever that device was, was the work of the hells. Metal marbels shot out from the explosion that went off. Shredded Burnt Rock. As for Burnt Tree, the healers tried. But the merciful thing was for me to just drive my knife into his heart."

A'trus paused and had difficulty swallowing. He out a trembling hand to his mouth and pinched his checks to stiffle the tear that tried to run down his face. He maintained his composure after a few moments of concentration and when he answered, all emotion was gone from his voice.

"Get their remains to the Hall. Have the honors prepared. I'll write their letters of service and death to their mother myself."

"You sure sir?" Rungee asked, knowing his commanding officer well enough to know really how much this bothered him.

"Aye. They were my responsibility. I will do it. As always. Get the rest of the unit home Ringer, I'm headed back to make my report.

A'trus pulled his hand away from his ear and looked back at Kahn'a. The healer was almost done with the leg and the airship had lowered a net for Kahn'a to be loaded into so he could be flown to the cells A'trus unit maintained outside the city walls. The soldier who had bound Kahn'a saluted A'trus, indicating he would accompany Kahn'a all the way. A'trus returned the salute and then removed the link pearl from his ear as he slowly began walking towards his office in Flame Hall. It was a long walk and once A'trus made in silence.

He was responsible for the death of two of his men that night. His orders, his plan. Losing soldiers never got easier, and A'trus had lost his fair share over the years. The officer managed to get to his office, lock the door, and sit in his chair before he put his head in his hands and cried.

Weakness was for behind closed doors, not in front if his soldiers. And when A'trus walked out if his office several bells later, he did so with his report, letters of apology to the mother of the twins and a burning desire to bring the remaining Red Wings in to face the justice they deserved.

Erik took a deep breath, half listening to Miqo'te, half to his Flame's pearl, the general line of communication. It was crackling with reports of a pursuit and capture of a Keeper. Erik looked actually worried as he reached up and drew out the pearl, deactivating it in the process. "Yes, forceful as I look. To be clear the observatory and its equipment is what we are asking to use, but not what we are actually looking for."

Erik walked over to Montblanc, patting him on the head, "He will carry on to the Shroud after he drops us off, and take Sie, Siha and Clio some of their supplies. Then remain on the border." The mammet began to tremble. Sometime later they arrived south of Dragonhead.

The Keeper woman pulled the mask tighter over her face, it was perfect for hiding her eyes along with the turban and it didn't impeded her gaze. A gaze that was directed firmly at the waters as they lapped against the bottom of the Aftcastle where she'd settled on a rocky outcropping. The sheer face of the cliff in front of her didn't bother her, nor did it scare her, if anything it was a comfort to know that should she have to she could jump. It would hurt if she landed wrong but she'd done her share of cliff diving with her brothers as children...when they had been able to be around her that was.

She replayed her letter over and over in her head, picking out little things that others might be able to recognize and agonizing over whether or not it was subtle enough to fool, but hinting enough that Kiht understood.

Dear Kiht,

I was hoping that I might be able to take you up on the offer of that visit soon. I find myself wanting for friends around me recently, almost urgently. The sands feels so inhospitable lately and I find myself wanting for the safe haven of the Shroud more and more. But I ramble, please contact me as soon as you get this, the sooner the better.

-Siha

Her answer certainly had been what the young woman had wanted to hear...to an extent. The fact that the Keeper was now in Thanalan for her own reasons slightly complicated things but perhaps that could be an advantage. By now there was no suspicion of her being there, and a friendly pair of eyes and ears so keen would be useful back in the city state.

Siha,

You are in luck. I have been staying in the Goblet recently, but there is a couple in my group who own a cottage in the Twelveswood. And of course a moon in Thanalan has not made me forget my home. I spent many winters scouting the Twelveswood, and do not forget. If a cottage is not what you are after, there are many other places. I can meet with you very soon, or can tell you where to go over a letter. Just tell me how to find you. I fear your hair and skin may blend well with the sand, so I may have trouble finding you if I randomly search Thanalan.

Last part is a jest.

-Kiht

She'd hastily scrawled a note and sent it back to the woman, they would need to meet quickly and Siha had picked a spot that both of them would know well. It was off the beaten path but certainly not a suspicious place for anyone to visit, a stream under the Skylift with a waterfall at its end. Once confirmation arrived she'd be on her way but for now she was doomed to sit on this infernal ledge and agonize over each little detail...or she would have been should her pearl not have crackled to life at that very moment. Blonde ears perked as Clio's voice came over it and she smile hastily, hunching closer to her after casting a look over her shoulder as casually as she could. "I'm alright, I made it without any hiccups. Mmm, I also got a letter to our friend and she's happy to meet with me, I was discreet of course. I'm only waiting on her confirmation back before I can say where and when but I made sure it was urgent...tonight" the conversation was choppy at best but she was on the lookout for her answer to arrive.

The bright spot of a Moogle bouncing into view made a grin split her face and she moved to her feet, "Just a moment" she hurried out to the pearl and then scrambled up the wall behind her. A few coin and the Moogle handed over her mail with only a chipper noise and it was exactly what she'd wanted. Stuffing the note into her vest the Keeper took off at a light walk towards the gates that lead to Lower La Noscea, she would have liked to head straight to Summerford but it would take Kiht some time and if anyone was following...well once she was in the brush she could lose them. She knew these hills well. Once she was sure no one was behind her she lowered her head and clicked her pearl once more, "Tonight, Summerford Farms. If you need guidance just contact me but I want to check it out first, make sure there's nothing wrong...I can handle it. Really" she wasn't sure why but she felt the need to reassure Cliodhna that she could do it.

She'd not be useless this time.

Nako bit back on his bile after watching kahn'a get treated like an animal. He had to keep himself in check just to stop running in to help. Sure, he'd fought long odds before, but that wasn't in his city, and as far as he knew, these men were simply following orders. No,  better to trail them and do his research, it shouldn't be too hard to get what he needed.

After the men had cleared out from the ruckus, he approached the spot where Khan'a's blood had pooled beneath him. Looking around cautiously, he scooped and scrapped what he could of the Miqo'te's blood into a glass jar. It had some street particulate which would cloud his resulsts, but it would have to do. 

Glancing around once more, he slipped back into the shadows and slowed his breathing. His body seemed to shimmer as it took on a different form, and where a short midlander of black hair had emerged to gather some blood, a highlander emerged, nearly two heads taller. Placing his hand to his ear he mutters just loud enough to be heard over a pearl 'Erik, what the hell have you done?'

Cliodhna nodded listening, before contacting Siha she had heard some disturbing news on the Flame link line. "Siha, they're already putting the next steps into motion. I'm not sure who; but one of ours has been captured; a Keeper. I don't want to worry you but you need to know this is serious and we are risking quite a bit with our current course of action. You have the option to seek shelter and I would advise you take it, but if you insist on staying; myself or Piper will find you. He'll know what to say so you know he's with me..though he will call me Tempest. Until then I highly advise you remove your pearl; even if we're not on the Flame line, they can still trace us. This is the last time I will have my pearl active until we're in safer footing."

After the call ended, she swapped over to the Flame channel. Things seemed quite but there was no details on which Keeper was caught. It could have been either Mikh'a or Kahn'a. Sighing softly, Cliodhna placed her hands over her face and scrubbed her features from frustration. This was quickly heading into a worse situation. She could understand Mikh'a being captured but if he was; the others in Ul'Dah would of course react to rescue.....On the other hand, she couldn't figure Kahn'a would let himself be caught. Moving to Pepper; she dug into the saddle bag and removed a small leather pouch. Tugging on the drawstring to open it, Cliodhna slipped out her pearl and placed it in the bag, it landing with a soft weight next to Steiner's soul chip. He was in one of the saddle bags but at the moment it was not safe for him to be active.

Standing near Pepper, her hand idly brushing over her feathers; Cliodhna let her gaze drift over the blackness of the water as the stars twinkled above. It had been some time since the bridge and the rain but it felt like another lifetime...her free hand twisting the ring on her thumb worriedly; the side of her index finger brushing over the front of the gold ring, feeling the grooves that marked it as a Flame's signet ring. Erik used it for sealing his documents, but he hadn't notice her slip it from his hand when they parted, or he simply let her, She mused silently; both options were plausible. Though some would say it was an awful thought; Cliodhna had been grateful the captured wing hadn't been Erik. The others were....slowly becoming known to her on a personal level, but being used to being on her own for so long and not bothering to form lots of longstanding relationships; she wasn't as concerned as Siha most likely was at the moment. Erik was still safe; that's what mattered to Cliodhna.

"Hey what's with that face?" Feeling a weight around her shoulders, Cliodhna looked back, her dark green eyes meeting Piper's garnet ones.

"Well bein on the run does that to a girl, you should know that by now seein as how many you've chased off." She replied offhandedly, erasing the worry from her features and showing him a grin before giving him a poke in the chest but firmly causing him to step back as she used her other hand to shove his arm

from her shoulders.

"Aw c'mon Tempest, ya know they all pale in comparison....." He murmured softly, his mouth set into a line. "I'll never find another that can stand a chance 'gainst ya....."

Cliodhna shook her head, "Pi-Youkio, I've told ya before and I still stand at it; you're not it. I'm sorry, I really am but I'll never be what you want or need me to be. Find yourself a nice girl and settle down; ya can't keep livin in the past."

Looking away, Youkio reached up and scratched the back of his head; tousling his hair in the process. "Whatever....I'm still here for ya, where's yer guy if he's so damn-f-fuck!!" His hand flew to his quickly swelling eye as it teared. "The hell Tempest?!"

"Piper." Cliodhna murmured quietly. "You say one more GODSDAMN WORD about any of this to me and I break every bone in your body before feeding you to Leviathan. Are. We. Clear."

By this point the boat had docked and Seig was already departing, waiting for them on the dock. "Now, you need to go find my other contact. She's a keeper, blonde, short, look near water, I heard waves in the background and not a lot of people so she's most likely tucked away in a corner out of sight....Tell her..." Lowering her voice, Clidohna tugged in Youkio's ear to her height; causing him to wince as he listened. 

"Ya got it?" She asked. He nodded, still rubbing the shiner. "Yeah, yeah I got it. Now for the three of ya and your bird need ta get through the city careful and head for the Zephyr Gate, Northa there I got a small shack out by Rogue River. It ain't much but you'll be able to stretch yer legs and not be spotted as easily."

Clidohna nodded, giving him a pat on the shoulder. "Thanks....We'll be outta your hair soon." Were her last words as they parted; Youkio headed for the outskirts of Limsa and Cliodhna with Seigheart towards the gate.

It was lucky Mikh'a had taken his Flames pearl out long before this. The less he knew about what was happening the easier it would be for him to play his role. The distraction could prove disastrous, and it was the last thing they'd need at this point. He could not mess this up. He wouldn't press Erik's distracted look, but instead had headed away from his captain to make preparations for their trip to the observatory. Whatever was there that they were looking for, it had to be important.. he just hoped it wouldn't take undue time to locate. The longer they were separated from one another the harder it was going to be for all of them, and he knew it. They'd start to fret, the panic would set in, and they'd lose focus after a time.

Mikh'a pulled on heavier clothing long before Dragonhead came in to view - something simple but efficient, that displayed the station he was playing without making it look like he was some kind of waif. ( Not that he didn't regularly, but you know. )

He'd decided against giving Montblanc Siha's books, just in case. Instead he'd carefully hidden them in a way he'd be able to pick them up again later on his own. He knew she'd fret that they weren't where he'd promised to put them but necessary evils were necessary, and the boy tugged a hat down over his head that squished his ears flat. He slid the goggles on again - why take risks in the snow with his already poor eyesight? - and then crouches in front of the still trembling Mammet.

"Hey." he poked at its little chest. "You'll be alright too. Stop shaking like that, only I'm allowed to do that sir. And don't get eaten by the Chocobo, I'm pretty sure between you and me we'd be the equivalent of Gyshal Greens to them if they could get their beaks around us."

YES. He was trying to rally a Mammet. ¬_¬

Standing again though he adjusted his gloves and headed to meet Erik and Raimy on the ground. The snow was halfway to his knees, the inconvenient life of being short, and he gave a grateful grunt while tugging at the mouth of his boot. Those WERE up to his knees, so he was luckily not going to end up with snow in his shoes. The faster they got out of the snow and in to the Observatory the happier he was going to be. He scented the air and halted however... He knew where they were. He knew exactly where they were... A malm. A malm from Ragnar's grave. He'd paced the area for hours after he'd been taken north to it. There was a lingering, familiar scent on the wind. Someone, or something he knew had been there in the last day or so.

Brynjar. 

The boy gave pause long enough to squint in to the distance and straighten up while trying to scan the snowy landscape before he turned around again and stepped to his captain. "Remember." he said to Raimy. "Confidence. We'll meet up again after you've delivered the letter... right?" he tilted his head to Erik for confirmation.

The snow crunched under his high boots. He turned and watched as the Falcon raised into the air. He waved at Raimy as he walked north, nodding to Mikh'a as they and Fury began to move south. He had stripped his bird of its Flame armor, opting for a simple saddle and bridle. He offered Mikh'a a place on the saddle until they reached their destination.

As they traveled he wondered to himself how the others progressed. If all his pawns..... a terrible way to think of his friends he knew, but his time as a soldier had long changed him and he was long past even realizing it. If.... they did as he ordered, as he set them to, there was a chance they would all make it through this alive. This was going to have as price a ponz of flesh, that was obvious to him. He sighed, looking to his companion and feeling excited for him. He had fear in his eyes, but he was a brave boy. This adventure would cause lasting changes to the boy. Erik hoped he was paying attention. As the town came into view Erik pulled close his cloak, pulling the hood further down, covering as best he could. He checked the condition of his sword and shield, under the cover of his cloak. The axe he sported more for look then utility. He had been trained to good levels in the use of such a weapon in the Flames, but he preferred the sword. He mounted Fury and looked down at Mikh'a, "Are you ready for our performance?"