The Red Wings: Take Flight

"One must be ever-careful in this drama that is life," the Cap'n responded melodramatically with a shrug, flashing a bit of a grin at Cliodhna's giggle. "Lest a twist of plot remove them too soon from the stage, their spotlight forever darkened."

He raised an inky black brow as she introduced herself and her companions. Tempest, Moon Lily, Kihm. The latter had stumbled in providing her own name, and the Dunesfolk vaguely recalled different names being shouted about during the performance on the bridge in Lower La Noscea. Monickers, most likely, instead of names true, but that mattered little. After all, the pirate wasn't openly using his own real name either. It to be hypocritical to fault them for doing the same, especially in such circumstances.

"As I intoned to your fiery feline friend here, I go by 'Distractin'' - Cap'n Distractin'." He made a flourish as he bowed in his seat, tilting his head up sharply to flash that Cheshire smile her way as he continued. "And it's hard not to find interest in theater when the whole world is but a stage, don't you agree? Each person you meet is but an actor in the play that is your life, each monologue and dialogue combining together to form poignant scenes and overarching acts."

The brightness of his smile dimmed a bit when she turned down his offer of food and drink. Of course, poisoning was a standard literary piece, anyone with passing interest in such things would know that. Why else would he have positioned Laffy to watch over the kitchen and any of the Wings' compatriots who took up a role there? Still, to be accused thusly after he had so openly stated his distaste of harming his audience, it was a little hurtful to the showman.

"If you must, you must; though I ever so dislike the lack of trust," he intoned with a sigh, also melodramatic what with the grandiose spread of his hands. "I said once before that I seek to avoid harming audience and fellow actor both, unless it is demanded by the patron. I prefer to distract and entertain, not dispatch and maim, if it's all the same. But if it is words you wish to sup on, then words you shall have. A cornucopia of conversation, 'twixt you and I, to fill both belly and mind."

He motioned to the two Miqo'te.

"And your enticing entourage, if they are so inclined," he added, his silvery gaze falling on Kiht again. "And if they can keep matters and tongues civil. While I have nothing against such an alluring medley of beautiful and brusque, such endearment fades quick if such interactions lead not to a bed. And - as enticing as you are, my little Flame Kitten - I can only assume that such an entanglement is not in our future. Or will I be pleasantly incorrect in my guess?"

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Though I don't always wish to remain center stage; I'd like to keep my light from going out prematurely." Cliodhna replied. "But that does not keep me out of the darker alleyways when needed; as you can plainly see, here I am." Words ending with a shallow, sweep of her hands.

"Cap'n Distractin'...How charming, it suites you well." Catching his raised brow, She felt no need or desire to comment on it. Of course their names were false ones and if this character had been paying any sort of attention as he appeared to be, he most likely remembered their other names or at least the absence of these ones giving now compared to their prior meeting, she mused quietly. "Yes, all too often I find this life feeling more as if life is just something being done merely for the amusement of a higher force; but I'm not here to talk religion." Flashing him another wary, quirk of her lips.

"Now now, no need to be stung by my refusal." Holding her hands open and lifted from the table as she spoke. "To be fair; we're speaking of the shortening of one's life quite casually, you've placed one of your own in the kitchen to either do so or to ensure we hadn't. Which honestly; shows me a lack of trust as well but I'm more than willing to let it go considering the methods we had used in order to arrange a meeting. There's also the fact that you state you're not set on causing harm but lest we forget you did kill our charge...." Cliodhna paused, as if pondering something that only now made sense.

Her vibrant, jade colored eyes grew wide as her mouth curved into a small "o" shape. "Unless of course that was a ruse as well? Oh dear me.....You have been pegged incorrectly here if that were the case." Musing more aloud to herself at this point, a hand covering her mouth. "But then if that were true....oh dear....then our "innocent victim" will have had a heaver hand in this than previously thought." She smirked. "Oh dear, oh dear...and here a few of our own were feeling sorry for him and mourning his passing though only briefly known." Chuckling again, She shook her head as if it were a great joke. "To think the possibility that he could have been in on this little scheme as well...."

Leaning forwards once more; hands flat on the table as her hair tumbled around her features. "Tell me then, Captin.....If you can ensure that no harm will come to me; I'll dine with you as we further explore and dissect the intricate plan you were so wonderfully tasked with. I won't request my cohorts do the same as again, this is uncharted waters for them but I will put my life in your hands if it makes you feel more at ease. After all; trust only woks if both parties are willing, no?"

(Sorry, I wanted a song for this and this was the only one that fit.... it amused me really))

[video=youtube]

Under black cloak, and a rare storming night, Erik crept through the city of Ul'dah. Sliding from alley to alley, cautious of the light that poured from the street lamps. "This is madness..." he thought to himself as his plan unfolded in his mind. This was a drastic step, one that would surely lead him to the gallows.... if he was lucky. It had to be done though, in his mind even it had been a long time coming. He thought of Juliette, and how it had all come full circle.

From the gate to the first ladder, a city workman's ladder, someone had left it as oversight. Erik took the advantage, an early entry to the rooftops, easier to move unseen above. The ladder was not very tall, taking him only to a low awning, but that was enough. From there to the next one high, then higher and higher until he could climb no higher, the city below him beautiful and dangerous.

He returned his pearl to his ear, listening for static as he began to run. From roof to roof he lept, landing light, making little sound. Finally sighting his prey he came to a halt. The air was cold and wet, sharp was the word he used. He waited until she was alone, stepping out for air he could only assume. The roof and the awnings and porch covers below were tapered, taking them in his mind he took a deep breath and jumped. From the roof to the first balcony, to the awning, fliping from that as a gymnist to the out pointed banner pole he held to it and swung to the final awning, from there leaping to the ground near the woman. Despite his showy actions and his size, there was little sound in all his movements.

He moved now to her, letting the upwind air mask his scent and sound. Soon enough he was close enough to reach out and touch her. He whisper to her, letting his voice sink into the night air, "I have been looking for you."

The woman had remained silent for most of the interactions after her own logic had been spurned, it hadn't been intended as a threat, merely a caution and something to be pondered but the Captain didn't seem worried. Pressing her lips into a line she gracefully made her way a little closer, circling so that she could stand near 'Khim' as she'd been named as well as the two guards her father had sent. Grymn gave her a sly wink...perhaps sly was a bit generous and she tucked herself close to the Roegadyn man for comfort, the Duskwight tipped his head to her as well, much more subtly but a downward curve of his lips was enough to show he knew she was upset.

In a different time and situation Siha could have like the Lalafell's view on life, it was vibrant and refreshing, with all he revealed it even seemed he was somewhat benign in his actions. He didn't kill. Her thoughts went along the same lines as Cliodhna, either he was lying, or their charge wasn't really dead...perhaps Mikh'a had been right about him, or maybe he was captive somewhere. Both were viable and she cringed internally, no matter which it sat ill in her stomach to even imagine either one, she had shed tears for that man and if he was the cause of this. Anger flashed hot through her veins briefly and she closed her violet eyes until the raging emotions were stilled and she was placid again, she was getting better at that.

She gave a far more graceful smile than she had all night when attention was turned her way concerning eating and drinking with the man, she didn't intend to eat or drink due to the reasons that Cliodhna had stated but that didn't mean she couldn't sit through pleasantry if it would help them. She would have rather stayed locked in between the two familiar bodies as well as behind Kiht but instead she moved to grab a chair and pull it in between the small Captain and the Duskwight before settling down and folding her hands in her lap. The smoke bombs she'd brought shifted in their pouch but she slightly parted her legs to allow them to settle under her thighs, they were still good to have if anything went wrong.

"I don't see how hearing you out would have any ill effects, maybe we all got off on the wrong foot, if you are as honorable as you say and have thus shown" she inclined her head but her violet eyes studied the Captain closely for any changes in his demeanor. She hated having to waste any time, but grace was needed here, not force. Force would only shift that back to square one or worse, and her family was far more important than her roiling stomach.

It was raining, and Spahro was out in the storm chewing on half of a grilled snake and glaring at the sky.  Thin, fragile bones crunched between her teeth as she peered up into the storming clouds, shielding her eyes from the rain.  Her hair was matted down to her forehead, clothes soaked through and even the spices on her snack were being quickly washed away by the downpour.

Normally she wasn't stupid enough to stand out in the rain staring at the sky, but it had been a rough couple of days, and considering she slept on a roof being down in the streets of the city was actually more preferable to getting drenched without any protection at all.  "I hate this city," she mumbled, not really meaning it.  A street urchin darted past, quiet except for the splash of her bare feet in a puddle, and Spahro watched her go, slipping into an alley between a warehouse and a carpet shop.

When the voice rose up out of the storm she gasped, which wasn't smart with most of a snake in her mouth.  "I have been looking for you."  her meal was sucked into her throat and she gagged, choking.  Distracted from the sudden man by a life threatening situation she stumbled forward into the street, her eyes wide and panicky.  With one hand she grabbed the tail of the snake and gave it a yank, pulling the whole thing from her throat.  She threw it into the night on reflex, immediately missing the peppery flavor in her mouth, and regretted it.

"What the shite?!"  She spun, her eyes bloodshot and focused on the man who'd snuck up on her.  "You nearly killed me, you arsehole!  What do you want, money?  Piss off!  The last of my gil bought the meal you just made me waste.  Who the hell sneaks up on someone like that?  Common mugger or an assassin or something.  You come to kill me?"  Spahro extended her arms, thrusting out her chest at him, "Well have at it!  You aren't going to hear me beg or cry about it, but I can promise you that whoever hired you is going to regret it!"

Kiht narrowed her eyes at the Lalafell. He was trying to goad her and swive with her (likely literally) despite the fact that both Clio and Siha were there to keep him occupied. She was not good with acting, but she was not stupid either. He was either trying to sabotage the situation, or found it entertaining to mess with Kiht.

Kiht was not usually keen on recognizing when she was being flirted with, but she was getting better at that. However, her discipline was trained into her through a lifetime of hunting; it was only strengthened by the training from an ex-knight. She sat up straight, and just continued to gaze at him with a cold stare. "You are correct, but if you wish, I can find some barbed wire for you to entangle with." She said in a calm tone. She causally averted her eyes, and grew a very slight smirk.

Tempest was doing the best job of talking to the Captain. If anyone was going to have success with him, it would be her and Siha. Kiht was maintaining her attitude. It was probably not a good idea to irritate the Captain, but Kiht was starting to get more acquainted with her role. If Tempest needed to, she could possibly take advantage of Kiht's attitude to gain favor with the Captain. Kiht may not have liked her job or role in the whole operation, but she was Hells bent on helping; even if that meant Tempest either asking Kiht to leave, or taking the captain away from Kiht and the guards as a sign of respect and trust. Otherwise, Kiht could do little more than watch the scene continue to unfold.

"My, my, oh my, did I say that? Oh no no no, I think you're just making an assumption, and with quite a lot of gumption, dear lady," the Cap'n crooned with a grin, glad to be dealing with one who was more attuned to the more... subtle nuances of dialogue. These three were definitely turning out to be quite fun, so letting "slip" a bit of information like that for them to follow up on couldn't hurt. Besides, it was Cliodhna who had suggested such a thing, he had said nothing of the sort - so the Flames couldn't be angry with him for her figuring out that their charge had lived, now could they?

"Of course," he continued with an appropriately over-dramatic shrug of his shoulders. "I cannot keep you from following up on such... musings. That is quite outside the scope of what my patron tasked of me, wouldn't you agree?"

The Dunesfolk's silvered gaze followed Siha as she circled around to settle down betwixt him and one of Kiht's entourage. He had definitely seen her back on the bridge, though he wasn't unhappy with getting a second chance to take in the light-haired Miqo'te. Especially with the other one present being almost obnoxiously curt and abrasive to his playful proddings. Tangle with barbed wire, hmn? How quaint.

"Well, well, that you consider me 'honorable'... I wouldn't go that far," he admitted with a laugh, returning his attentions to the more personable of the two kittens. "I'm still both an actor and a pirate by trade and, as such, I could, should, and would still have many tricks up my sleeve. My loyalty lies only with myself and mine troupe, as you would rightly figure of someone of my livelihood. However, I do like to extend a... courtesy... to my audience - since what is an actor without his audience? There can be no call for encore if I leave the seats empty afterward."

"And so I merely offer a meal to go with this show, one you do not needs must partake if you do not desire such." Almost on cue, one of the tavern wenches approached the table - perhaps at Laffy's insistence - bearing a plate of braised Dodo and a flagon of ale for the pearly-toothed captain. "I, on the other hand, shall quite heartily partake, and slake my hunger. I still say I will poison you naught, my delightfully delectable audience, so it is up to you alone to decide whether I speak in truth or falsehoods."

Erik stood dumbfounded, her reaction was.... unexpected. He sighed and spoke as deeply as he could without sounding unnatural, "I am not going to kill you. I have come to seek you out because of who you are. You are Spahro Llorn, a journalist, a name that has gained eyes from the powers that be due to your sensationalism." He stopped for a moment, looking down the nearby alley, watching the Brass Blade pass the other side, the rum in his belly cloaking the Miqo'te and Erik from his notice.

He then looked back at her now, being sure that only his chin and mouth were visible to her at any given time. "You have expressed a notion that the government, both sides leave something to be desired. You have come to my attention as a person of integrity, despite your more public reputation as a printer of some rag paper. I would test that notion." He looked away again, far behind her, the same Blade staggering by again, as oblivious as before. As he passed Erik continued, "What do you know of the power of the military in Thanalan? More then most I would wager, but still not all. I would put forth the hypothetical question, what would you say, or people as a whole if there was a special forces unit within the Immortal Flames? One with access to Imperial technology, a broad Standard Operating Policy, with little to no oversight outside of higher level Officers of the Flames and some government officials."

His over-exuberant denial to her assumptions were amusing. Though he loudly boasted that she was wrong, given his toothy grin stated otherwise. Smirking, Cliodhna raised an eyebrow; so this was how the game was to be played. Rolling her shoulders, she settled more comfortably in her chair. "I've been told before I have more than my fair share of gumption," She grinned at her words. "Luckily it tends to work in my favor."

"Oh I dare say it would be; your job was to simply cause trouble that resulted in our mission of delivering the precious cargo of rocks and straw a failure. One that was handled quite brilliantly." She tilted her head, green eyes drifting upwards only a moment as if pondering some finer detail of their conversation. "So then...Your troupe was only hired on for that. I dare say it would be considered a conflict of interest if you track our movement after that point; at least if there was no discussion of payment with that sort of order from them....Tell me, O Captain; was there another job to help round us up in the works possibly?"

Cliodhna smiled wary at Siha and Khit's replies. "Barbed wire might be somewhat of a more selective taste for some. Though I dare say he's gotten your point quite clearly Khim. As for honor; I'd say that your stance on it is admirable non-the-less, Captain." She paused spreading her hands once more to illustrate. "We fight under the mighty banner of Ul'dah; risking life and limb for coin and country and look where it's gotten us? Alive still thankfully, but I dare fear that's a fleeting illusion as time passes, and worse yet! Set into motion seemingly by our own comrades!"

Shaking her head, Cliodhna let her blonde hair sway with her movements. "No I dare say that your view on honor is far too tempting after this little charade. But still....if you were to prove me wrong and restore my faith in the Immortal Flames by possibly reveling some sort of verbal tidbit of your former employer?" A hint of desperation in her tone, words making her sound truly drought over the matter.

Once the food arrived, Cliodhna eyed it as the Lala dug into it with gusto. "As stated; I will trust your desire not to eradicate your audience as you've dearly taken to calling us. Though I am not very hungry at the moment; a girl has to watch her figure after all." A quick wink accompanying her words. "I would like to think that a nice wine would be refreshing, if there's any available? I have not been to this establishment a long time I'm afraid so I'm unsure if there's been changes to their stores."

"I think you're well aware that you have much more going for you than just mere gumption, my dear." He gave a bawdy grin as he gestured to her aforementioned figure with a Dodo leg, "and I'm certain it works just as well in your favor, all things considered. Still, it is not the time nor the place to speak of such things... unless you wish us to tread that path. For now, though, if it is wine you desire, then it is wine you shall have!"

He took a sizable bite of his braised bird, letting the cooked meat and spices tickle his taste buds as the wench departed for Cliodhna's drink. Well, perhaps "tickle" wasn't quite the word. It certainly wasn't the best in Eorzea, what with the spices mostly being used to mask the low grade of the meat, but that was not unexpected. The Kobold Korner was, after all, little more than a hole in the wall where men came to simply fill their guts with meats and alcohol after a long journey. As long as they were full and drunk at the meal's end, the quality of its contents mattered little.

"Anyroad, if there were plans for a second show, they never reached my ears," the captain stated with a grand shrug of his little shoulders before quaffing a sizable amount of his ale. "They knew where to send their Extra - or some other fill-in, it was obviously just a generic faceless sort meant for little more than passing along wishes and desires - to get in touch with me again. They did not."

That was what the contact was in Distractin's eyes: an Extra, little more than a patsy. An average dark-haired Midlander superbly chosen for his role due to his complete and utter lack of any noteworthy characteristics. Even if the man thought he was the one in charge, it was obvious enough to the Dunesfolk that he wasn't the one pulling the strings. The Red Wings - a much more interesting bunch, by comparison, and certainly easier on the eyes considering present company - would be better off chasing after their "dead man" rather than a generic Extra.

"As such, keeping tabs on you - as alluring as certain members of your troupe are - was of little import until you came seeking me," the pirate affirmed. "Of course, we still had eyes on you at the Drydocks afterward to gauge your appreciation for the show. However, when you showed no immediate desire for... autographs, as it were... I deemed it best to leave you be."

His pause afterward was punctuated by the return of the wench with the lady Hyur's bottle of wine. It seemed to be a surprisingly fine one as well, considering the standard fare of the place, perhaps a bit of the owner's personal stock that he had been... convinced to part with. Laffy was quite good at convincing, after all, even despite her less than stellar grasp of the Eorzean tongue. Or perhaps because of it, relying instead on body language that was quite good at getting the tribal Lalafell's point across. Such so that Cliodhna was now in possession of a rather fancy bottle of red wine in a smoky green bottle, along with glasses for both herself and her two Miqo'te companions.

"And yet here you are nonetheless, seeking some of my stage secrets," he corrected with a grin. "Still, I would think hard on what you're asking, my dear. You're coming to a pirate to restore your faith in your precious Jewel, and seek to do so by having said dashing rogue openly break the confidentiality betwixt him and his patron. How could one such as I continue to make a living if I did such things? No patron would be willing to fund my... performances... if they thought I would double-cross them afterward. No no, you'd have better luck getting the information you desire from the dead."

He only hesitated for the briefest of moments after his recommendation before tearing into his meal once more. Each bite did little more than sate his hunger, and reaffirm that the bird in question was both over-spiced and overcooked. Still, the other hunger he had - the one he truly came to this tavern for - was currently enjoying a three-course meal much more savory and succulent. And beautifully plated, as well. There was always something to be said of proper presentation, after all.

"Still," he murmured after washing down the cacophony of spice with a torrent of ale. "There's nothing saying that an audience member could not be... inspired by the performance and seek to become a patron themselves. Perhaps they believe they could have scripted the play better, and wish to show the original scriptwriters how it should be done? And for the right amount of coin, they might be able to acquire the same cast to make the reprisal to truly hammer the point home."

He canted his head, that Cheshire smile of his looking to bisect his head.

"But it would cost quite the hefty amount of coin indeed."

Meeting the Dunesfolk's grin with a coy smile and twinging of hair between her fingers; Cliodhna gave a soft laugh. "Oh yes....I'm aware but there's something to be said for showing a bit of modesty versus boasting...Therefore, we'll leave the matter rest for now for simplicity's sake."

While waiting for the drink, She watched his movements intently as he spoke. The manner of how The Capta'n swung around the dodo leg, his overly animated shrug with the denial of intel on another planned attack. Though he was still making a bigger show of things than need be, it was clear that the words being peppered between bites of food were true. He had no further contact from whoever had ordered the initial job and furthermore, it was safe to assume the more interesting person was the supposed dead charge that had disappeared with them into the waves that night.

"Of course...It would have been foolish to assume you hadn't kept tabs on us on some level." She smirked, "But again, our intent was getting to safety and finding the one who placed the gears into motion....Not the muscle behind it until we felt there could be some valuable tidbit of information you could be holding."

Shortly after their server arrived with the requested wine and surprisingly clean glasses. "Ah, my thanks." She nodded to the server happily. The bottle was a bit dusty but looked to be due to hiding in a forgotten corner. Possibly it would taste better than Cliodhna was expecting to come from the kitchen. Long fingers already curled around a nearby corkscrew from the table; she quickly popped the cork on the bottle and distributed the wine between the glasses until each had about an ilm or so of the deep, ruby liquid. Pausing she rested the rim of the glass against her lips to sample the bouquet. It was a heady mixture of rolanberry with traces of honey to it. Feeling her lips curve against the glass; Cliodhna tilted her hand enough to let the liquid meet her mouth, further enticing her senses. Oh yes, this was much nicer than she had been expecting indeed.

Though a pleasant surprise, now was not the time to enjoy as much as she would have liked. Gently she placed the glass back on the table, fingers still framed loosely around the stem as she talked. "I dare say I can understand your point. Though roguish in nature; I had hoped there was still a bit of lingering honor in regards to assisting a lady in need." Reaching for the earlier shown bag of gil and tossing it to the the table where the coins spilled from the loosely tied leather pouch; showing quite a hefty amount. "But I'm also aware that life is not always as we hope, therefore I have brought means to help fund your endeavors in exchange for the information you have already provided."

Deftly, she took another quick sip of her lovely wine before returning to conversation. "However, as you've clearly made yourself aware as well...You have a rather unique relationship with one of our members, so to speak." She smiled again, twirling the glass gently to swirl it's contents. "He's also expressed quite an interest in becoming more of a performer in his own right but that would be up to you and your crew....I will state that part of that pouch's contents should be enough to return his lost love to him....or being such a shrewd businessman as I'm sure you are; this side show of a deal could be kept in reserved audience until you've deemed he's earned right to view."

Chuckling, She leaned back in her seat knowing full well Skittles had heard the proposal from his hiding spot in the rafters. "He's a bit of a stubborn one and would refuse my help had it been openly offered, but I'll admit he's rather close to my heart so I can't help but try to look out for him. You know how it is, family comes in many forms and some bonds can be stronger than that formed from blood."

The Cap'n's ebony-hued brow rose in earnest at that one.

"Aye, I knew he had thrown in his lot with your troupe, but I didn't know the two of you shared any sort of... history betwixt yourselves," the Dunesfolk murmured as he deftly speared the pouch with the now-meatless bone and slid it and its contents towards him. He poked and prodded the sack with the bone, eying the coin with a practiced eye in search of any frauds or other surprises hidden within the leather-bound depths. "Nor that you'd be willing to go so far as to purchase the Eighth Ace in his stead."

The Lalafell hooked the mouth of the sack with the bulbous end of his improvised tool, lifting it up and letting the albeit meager lighting of the Korner pierce the gloom within. His silver eyes flicked over the contents in earnest now, still wary of any dangers even as he counted up the number of coin. His attentions were still on the contents of the bag as he continued.

"While I certainly find what sort of alignment of interested you share with an Extra such as him, I do believe that now is not the time to discuss such matters at length. Of course, that does not needs must mean we still can't work out something about his 'lost love' that should meet to your satisfaction."

Once he was satisfied with his search, the pirate captain flicked the dodo bone into the air with a jerk of the wrist. In the time it took to twirl about before noisily clanging neatly into his empty tankard, he had scooped up both bag and the wayward coin that had sought to escape their imprisonment from within it. Cinching it tight, the dark-haired Lalafell held it up loosely in his upturned hand, as if showing it to the Hyur woman and her entourage.

"And... perhaps... even his."

Cap'n Distractin' idly tossed it up and down a couple times, glancing up and over his shoulder at seemingly nothing with a small grin. Listening to a Linkshell conversation, perhaps? Whatever the reason for his momentary distraction, it was naught but short-lived as his attentions were soon turned back onto the lovely ladies before him. Smile still plastered upon his cherub-like Lalafellan features, of course.

"By the time you have finished your drink, the Ace will be moored to the docks outside for your perusal. You have purchased it in the Miqo'te's stead, thus by all rights it is yours to do as you see fit - though whether you decide to return it to its 'rightful' owner or hold off on doing so in return for favors, it matters not," he crooned with a cant of his head, spinning the gil pouch about in his hand as if it were little more than a conversation piece. "As for your companion's other interest, though..."

The Dunesfolk waved his other hand in front of the bag with a flourish as it twirled, and it was gone. Silver orbs widened and looked at the suddenly-empty palm in mock alarm, and then up at Cliodhna before being accompanied by a wide grin and a shrug of the shoulders. Distractin' clasped his hands neatly in front of him again before continuing.

"... Should he wish to join my troupe, I should hope he is better at performing than trying to cheat at cards. And he needs must learn to have better hold over his drink besides." That ever-present smile faded briefly into a look of cold seriousness, which stood in stark contrast to the Cap'n's all-smiles demeanor thus far. "Otherwise I'm afraid he'll find no gainful employment here. I will not have my or my crew's reputation sullied by the antics of an ale-drenched alley cat."

He cracked into a smile once more, but it still held no mirth in it. In fact, one might go so far as to suggest that it was icier than that brief moment of seriousness that it had just come from. The only way to make it more dangerous would possibly be to replace the Dunesfolk's pearly whites with a couerl's fangs.

"Furthermore, should he somehow manage to worm his way into my ranks... and he turns out to be little more than a hook covertly placed to forcibly remove us from the stage? Well, I don't believe I will have to explain what that would mean, do I? Both for him, and for you and yours."

His smile widened a bit, somehow looking even more sinister despite his diminutive physique.

"Because, as you said: family comes in many forms... and woe be upon those who seek to harm mine."

Cliodhna smiled warily, staring into the glass as if memories floated on the surface of it's blood-hued contents. She let those thoughts linger a moment before dispelling them with a quick tilt of the glass; sending small ripples in the wine. Turning her attention back to the Cap'n, she replied. "War is a hell of a thing to live through....It has an uncanny way of making strangers closer than lovers in some respect."

Expression softening, her gaze drifted to his poking and prodding at the bag of coins with the greasy bone. "Though he feels as if there's a debt that needs repaying, I was only doing then what I'm doing now; watching out for him as one would a younger sibling. His sort wasn't cut out for that sort of lifestyle and I managed to save him from it..."

Watching his narrowed eyes further inspect the coins, Cliodhna gave another soft chuckle. "They're real, I assure you...I wouldn't be trying to buy the information needed or Garuda back with false promises, lest the repercussions were to fall on him or myself."

Pausing, Cliodhna took another pull from her wine as her companion was momentarily distracted. Once the promise of Piper's ship being returned was given, she let go of the glass to rest her chin in upturned hands. Merrily, she regarded his showmanship of taking the bag of gil and stashing it in a pocket for safekeeping. "I'm sure he'll be angry but part of him will be elated for having it back in the end."

She sighed, this was true. Youkio did have a unhealthy habit for drink and gambling but hopefully this would help correct his priorities, at least a little; this hope Cliodhna could not keep herself from voicing. "Though I have tried to save him, Piper still wishes to walk an ill suited path. Though overall lacking in skill, he is still young and has promise...but that I will leave to your discerning eye. I can't and won't be there every bell of his life just to ensure he keeps himself from being strung up, but i also can't ignore a problem of his that can be fixed easily enough."

She paused, hand forming into a fist resting against her lips in thought. "Granted I'd like him to learn this lesson himself but I can't abide with his current living conditions that were a result of his drunken carelessness." Throughout the conversation, Cliodhna was slowly dropping the mask of morally confused solider lost in her current plight of duty or survival.

Seemingly un-bothered by the Dunesfolk apparent threat, she simply frowned. Shaking her head; hair swaying before brushing it back from her face once more. "No, I can assure you that he is not intending to be a decisive factor of ending an act early in regards to your grand show. If anything; I was against his half-brained idea when he first voiced it, but as stated...He'll do what he wishes, or at least try to" Sighing she held her hands out helplessly. "If you see potential in Piper, you can do as you see fit; otherwise turn down his scramble plea that I'm sure you'll receive shortly and leave him to his own devices."

Draining the last of her wine, Cliodhna slowly scooted back the chair and stood. "However if you ever find a need to contact me; you may do so through him. I will not forget the help you've been, regardless of payment being a factor in your decision to do so." Inclining her head, she regarded the Cap'n one last time. "I wish you luck in your future performances and I thank you for the hospitality and indulging my conversation." Giving him another wary smile; she then turned to take her leave.

~~~

Youkio stared in disbelief, garnet eyes the size of saucers. Tail flicking to and fro, ears flat against his head and mouth hung open like a gasping fish. She couldn't have....She wouldn't have dared to....

"Seven hells, Tempest...." He grumbled, hands balling into fists and nails digging into the palms. Youkio had told her not to meddle in getting Geruda back, but she did anyway.

Still staring at his boat as it slowly made it's way into the docks; he vigorously scratched at his scalp. Mostly from his frustration. He had told her no! That was still running through his brain. No, no, no, no, no! And she still did it anyway!

"I ain't ever gonna pay her back after this....afore...maybe...but now....gods damnit..." Still swearing and grumbling, Youkio kicked a rock as he stomped around by the kitchen door. Skittles swooping through the kitchen and settling on his shoulder; cawing with laughter.

"A way to contact you, hmn? Well, that would make him a bit of a two-way street, now wouldn't he? For you could get hold of me through him as well. I'm not so sure if I like being so readily accessible," the Cap'n commented with a grin and a laugh, though neither were fully honest. And for good reason.

While his expressions were dishonest, his words carried an underlying truth - it was always far easier to take in one with no connections over one who had deep obligations to another. Obligations that could loosen tongues and result in things being said that shouldn't be said to people who shouldn't be told. Loose lips sink ships, after all, especially the vessel that Hohoyoho was manning. And, from the sounds of it, this Piper fellow was already fully Cliodhna's. He would have to put forth quite the show to be worth the risk, and much effort be made so he understood the position he was in.

It was almost certain that he would find no home on the Stage Left, at the very least. Even if he swore off his drinking and muzzled that chatty pink bird that kept swooping about and squawking heedlessly in Man's tongue, the pirate captain was still not certain enough to entrust him with the knowledge of the double life of the Jolly Rogers. Not when such words could slip so easily into the ears of the Flames and risk everything he had built.

And yet, Piper could still have his uses, if utilized properly. Quite the hornet's nest had been stirred with the bridge performance, giving glimpses to a more complex undercurrent within the Jewel's hierarchy. The Cap'n could very well have himself a means to have an ear at Raubahn's door, should he need it. While he plied his trade far from the Thanalan sands for the most part, such an asset was not something to give up so quickly. This required... finesse.

Perhaps if he kept Piper like the unremarkable man the Flames had brought to him - a mere Extra, just as he seemed to be under Cliodhna's employ. An outlier that could be called upon when an a small role opened up on their grand stage, to fill in before being set aside once more. He would know the Cap'n as only the Cap'n, and never truly become one of the family unless he was fully and utterly willing to choose the Pirate over the Tempest. To cast aside his current shackles to truly become one of the Jolly Rogers, Hohoyoho was uncertain the Miqo'te could manage it.

All of this ran through the Dunesfolk's mind in the space of time between Cliodhna's words and her turning to leave. Planning and scheming, calculating and plotting, weighing pros and cons as only one with everything to lose could. The Hyur was only a couple steps away when the pirate captain spoke up again.

"I will give him a chance, yes, if nothing else but," he intoned, sitting back in his seat again and folding his arms over his chest. "However, he has much to prove. I will send word to him when I'm ready for his... audition. In the meantime, I believe he'll be quite interested in the Eighth Ace, how it was acquired, and what you plan to do with it. Not to mention that you and yours still have your own grand finale to perform."

He stood then, standing on that box that he had been using as a booster seat the entire time. The one that creaked and moaned with his various movements throughout the conversation. It whined again as he stood and made a most elegant bow.

"So, as one actor to another, I will say this..." He tipped his visor lightly and grinned his biggest grin yet. "Break a leg out there."

And then the tip of his steel-toed boot slammed into the crate, releasing a cacophony of light and noise and smoke. Fireworks and glitter, bells and whistles. A most glorious flashbang, to be certain. And, in its aftermath, the Cap'n was gone. Along with almost all of the other denizens of the Korner. A once-crowded pub was left with only a few bewildered stragglers, the wench, and Cliodhna and her retinue.

Should they continue to the Garuda's Embrace - still blatantly decorated as the Eighth Ace - they would find whoever had brought it into the docks had vanished as well. All that was left behind was the ship, tied neatly to the dock, and a deck of playing cards left next to the sail - the same deck that Youkio had lost the ship with, for Cap'n Distraction's flair for presentation wouldn't allow for anything less. And should that deck box be opened, an inquisitive folk might find an extra four aces almost the other 52 along with a folded up note.

[align=center]We'll be in touch, if you play your cards right.

[/align]

- Cap'n Distractin' and the Jolly Rogers.

Just as she was about to reply; there was an explosion of color sound and smoke. Coughing harshly, Cliodhna frantically fanned the air around her face as she struggled to see though the sparkled mess; blinking bits of glitter from her tearing eyes. "The hell?" She grumbled, still coughing as the smoke slowly started to clear; revealing the bar to be mostly empty, showing just how many of his crew had been present. Staring at the confused stragglers; Cliodhna merely shrugged and - still coughing - picked up the wine bottle from the table and left out the front door.

Youkio sat on his boat, turning the cards over in his hand. Shuffling and folding, flipping them carelessly as they settled back into place; never losing them to the wind off the water as they threatened to fly away. There had been a note...they had known his plans. How? He had only thought it through this morning. There was no way they could have....unless they had tabs on them the whole time. Youkio kicked at an leftover crate that he kept on hand for storage. It was of course empty; he had to empty everything out when he lost Geruda, before she was known by her apparent name change. This thought was met with a small growl.

"Aw quit yer bitchin, ya got er back an a chance at a new job like ye wanted." Skittle pipped up, preening on the helm.

"But it weren't on my terms!" Youkio fumed. "She had to save my ass again! I'm never gonna get to pay her back, she keeps this goin!"

Skittles tilted his head, eyeing Youkio. "Well then, ya got a chance to prove y'self now don't ya?"

Youkio glanced down at the card that had been slipped in with his deck. "Yah....I do..."

It had been several days since Erik had spoken to the journalist. He had returned to and remained in Black Brush as he waited for what he knew would come. He was somewhat surprised when the young and confused Flame messenger arrived and started asking about him. He let the recruit look for awhile before making himself known. No sooner had the messenger delivered his paper then Erik took to Fury, Montblanc riding behind.

The Flame Hall was alive with movement, and none seemed unnerved or surprised as Erik entered, business as usual. He dismissed Monblanc and Fury to their base, to survey the damage and to reopen and organize the Hall. As they did, he took a deep breath and moved on to Commander Ryder's office.

There was no fanfare as he entered. Ryder looked up and spoke softly as he returned his gaze to the papers, "Lock the door behind you Captain and sit down." Erik complied, pulling down his hood and sitting. Ryder looked again, holding a copy of the Tomberry in his hands, "This is by far.... I don't even know what to say other then what is your neck size? I have heard more then one voice talking about how they would see you swing." Erik smiled, "Thirteen ilms Sir." Ryder was not amused, "Captain, this is no time to be funny." Erik stiffened and took a serious tone, "I had to do something drastic, not only to stop the rot, but inoculate against it. The faction responsible is still in play, as is their Roe front man. You cannot redact or make disappear someone known." Ryder stood up, anger noticeably, "Several of your people have left, many unhappy with the way things were done." Erik smiled, "Torture, terror, unorthodox recruitment, these are things that are part of the load we must carry. It was to much for some of them. If their morality was troubled, or they were to paranoid, or simply not cut out for the life, maybe it is for the best. I wish them well. But sometimes, some must sometimes dirty their hands so others will not have to. That is how I protect my nation, by doing the work no one wants to. I have that freedom, my soul is already weighted and bound for the Void."

Ryder pulled out a stack of papers from his desk and tossed them to the Captain, "You gambled high and won, had you lost we would have all swung. I stuck my neck out for you to help you and you turned and bet it all on a single hand of Triad. I will not stick my neck out again Captain, am I clear?" Erik nodded, "Sir." Ryder nodded and sat, "You can read those orders but the gist of it is the Red Wing's status as a classified covert unit is revoked. Your cover as a humanitarian aid is also revoked. In short, you will remain a covert action unit, but will be held to government oversight now as well as public scrutiny. As for the people who left you, it seems like a good time to restructure." Erik nodded, "Already done, I used the last few days to do some head hunting. I have leads on ten good officers waiting to fill the gaps. I assumed this would be the new rules, so I took the liberty to add some security to my operatives." Ryder eyed him, "Codenames Captain.... really? You are just a child in a man's body." Erik smiled and stood to leave, taking the papers as he stood. Before he turned to go, Ryder stopped him, "Captain, this whole event was nothing but trouble, causing strife in your ranks, confusion, and almost by some's hopes, the destruction of the Red Wings. But you carried on as if nothing was wrong. Even now you act as though none of what has happened bothered you." Erik reached the door and stopped, turning to the Commander he smiled, "The colours of the Red Wings' sigil, the same as the heraldry of my father's family, do you know what it is?" Ryder thought then spoke, "A red bird on a white field, what of it?" Erik turned to leave, speaking over his shoulder as he did, "The field is the stillness after the devastation of total war. The red bird is a Phoenix, rising from its ashes. It is not a symbol of hope, it is a symbol that no matter the force our enemies bring upon us, both from without and within, no matter the total war brought onto us, we will rise again."

[align=center]The End[/align]