An Observation in RP

I've seen it and had it happen to me. I played a very sexual character in TOR and automatically, people thought I was that way OOC. Once they found out I not only play a female but actually am one... yeah, it blew up from there from females not liking me OOC because of it to the males thinking they could Skype me and get a little something something. I loved playing Pina but have avoided such characters here because of the negative attention it caused. When I was single, it was one thing and easily ignored. Now, I'd rather not have to explain to my fiancee the BS coming from IC/OOC confusion.

Sometimes calling someone unkind things opens up doors, is what I'm saying.

Hardly. 

I just found it weird that Faye would openly say "People do this and it's bad" when she and her white-knights are doing exactly this.

Yeah, but I'm talking about the time I straight-up called Aaron an english c-word in the middle of a Grindstone match or something and he was like "Wtf?" and then we sort of came to a middle ground on the forums talking about hobby writing and now we're best bros and stuff.

My history might be a little off, but I'm fairly sure that's how it happened.

Lol yeah we're cool no worries :D

My recommendation, with the magic admin hat on, is that anyone on this thread who has problems with anyone else on this thread avail themselves of the Ignore List function, available in your Control Panel (click on your name, User CP, Buddy/Ignore List). That way, you simply won't see people you dislike, and any provocations you may observe in their posts won't be visible to you. That's one of the surest ways to not get into trouble if you clash with someone badly.

My hope is that this thread can get back on track.

Taking the admin hat off, let me help get the thread back on track. :) I can entirely commiserate with those who've gotten OOC flak for IC actions. I played a character who was a total rat bastard in City of Heroes, and when some of his more awful and cold manipulations came out (trading students of his school for mutants to bad guys in return for minor intel, but mostly just to get rid of annoying students, for instance), people who weren't involved started calling me a jerk and a manipulative ass, even when all parties involved knew what was going on and were fine with it. :frustrated:

Even now, I sometimes have people who've seen me here on the RPC and then interacted with L'yhta say things like, "Wow, I expected your character to be totally different than she is," or "You're nothing like your forum persona." Well, yeah, of course; L'yhta is a character, and I'm not my character. :) I do sometimes wonder how many people think L'yhta is like whatever they think I'm like based on my RPC posts...

In my experience, OOC communication seems to help with these issues, since once people know you OOC, they tend to not take what your character does personally. Getting to know people OOC helps enforce the IC/OOC line, in my experience.

My recommendation, with the magic admin hat on, is that anyone on this thread who has problems with anyone else on this thread avail themselves of the Ignore List function, available in your Control Panel (click on your name, User CP, Buddy/Ignore List). That way, you simply won't see people you dislike, and any provocations you may observe in their posts won't be visible to you. That's one of the surest ways to not get into trouble if you clash with someone badly.

My hope is that this thread can get back on track.

Thanks! Can you make sure this is correct, though?

QMgtQRz.png

It's, THIS thing.... right?

Yep, that's the thing. Enter the username in the field and click "Ignore User(s)."

If you put a user on your ignore list, you'll no longer receive PMs or see posts by them (I can't recall if you see them and they say "you have ignored this user" or if you don't see them at all). You may have to log out, then log back in for it to take effect.

Make sure not to put them on the Buddy List too, though, because those are on the same page and I believe the Buddy List supersedes the Ignore List.

#magicAdminHat

Yep, that's the thing. Enter the username in the field and click "Ignore User(s)."

If you put a user on your ignore list, you'll no longer receive PMs or see posts by them (I can't recall if you see them and they say "you have ignored this user" or if you don't see them at all). You may have to log out, then log back in for it to take effect.

Make sure not to put them on the Buddy List too, though, because those are on the same page and I believe the Buddy List supersedes the Ignore List.

#magicAdminHat

Ahhh. Okay. I was worried that I would put the people I put on ignore to my buddy-list on accident. I won't name who they are, but they're pretty sour and toxic.

Thanks for the help!

In my personal experience, each time I've seen someone act like a complete asshole in RP, they turned out to be a complete asshole OOC. It got to a point where I wanted to give the benefit of the doubt, but there's only so much benefit and so much doubt to give.

That doesn't mean the assholes are always assholes IC (It'd be too easy to pick 'em out of a crowd) - just that I've observed a similitude.

Also, bad RP isn't being a dick. It's just bad RP - some of the nicest people I've ever met are atrocious RPers.

LOL...

If i ever comment on what a character does, it's because I, as a player, am commenting on what a character did. This has almost always been as a point of discussion about how I, as a person, think of the character itself. The comment's never been made to judge the player character.

I've made joking comments about C's old flirtatious ways :P Womanizing perhaps? But it's never a comment about the player himself.

I don't know what the comments are like that people have seen... but if it's ever from me it's always in a "This OOC character is judging the IC character but not the OOC character."

Unless ooc communication makes me go what??? Then I OOCly judge what is being talked about OOCly but that's not what is going on here.