An Observation in RP

I hadn't found a thread on this before, and because it's an interesting little issue I figured I'd take the plunge and start it! :)

The closest I saw to this was probably in relation to an old IC/OOC thread that was a while back. And the topic is this: players being OOCly persecuted for the actions of their character.

For example, one of the things I've see is when someone plays a promiscuous character. Promiscuous either sexually, emotionally, being overly flirtatious, etc. or a combination of such, and then comments and distaste are made towards the player being such a way (with things said along the lines of "So-and-so is such a skank!" or whatever when it comes to speaking about the player when their character happens to have loose morals). Another example also is when someone plays a less then benign character (villains, scoundrels, etc.) and is OOCly accused of being as evil/dickish/rude/etc. as their character.

It's one thing if a person is like this OOCly. But more often then not in my own (emphasis on 'my own') experience it's usually purely a product of the character. So the question becomes: is this seen as a blending of IC/OOC to some people?

Do people even realize that they do it?

Is it very common in your own experience, or is it rare? Everyone is different after all!

I will add as a final note that it's one thing to hold such opinions about a character based on their actions. Similar to when you read a book and make your own judgement call and form your own opinion on the characters you're reading about. But it's another to RP and meet a character that is a certain way and then assume the player must be like this if their characters are.

Edit: A friend once put it to me in the sense that "IC actions beget IC consequences and OOC actions beget OOC consequences". Thought it'd be a nice little phrase to add :)

Sounds like some people just can't separate OOC and IC.

Honestly, if this is a problem you -- or anyone in general -- is having, you should just step away from the issue. It's honestly childish to step that boundary for things like "your character is a whore, therefore I must harass you because that is morally wrong". It's a ridiculous boundary to cross.

I would understand if the person requests a reason/finding out why they are like this and finding out more about the character, but that doesn't sound like the case in what you're saying. But yeah, people will be people I suppose.

Honestly, if this is a problem you -- or anyone in general -- is having, you should just step away from the issue. It's honestly childish to step that boundary for things like "your character is a whore, therefore I must harass you because that is morally wrong". It's a ridiculous boundary to cross.

I would understand if the person requests a reason/finding out why they are like this and finding out more about the character, but that doesn't sound like the case in what you're saying. But yeah, people will be people I suppose.

This right here, however I will admit, I've seen numerous characters made on the note of promiscuity for the sake of fulfilling, ya know, OOC urges we'll call 'em. At the end of the day, I just roleplay with the folks I enjoy and I don't worry about other peoples' roleplay. I feel like it's really the best approach, and getting OOCly hostile about it is almost out of place if not a bit odd. It's one of those things where if it's not your friend or yourself, it doesn't really matter :o

Edit: Ooo, and in regard of experiences... most (if not absolutely all) of the villain or antagonist playing roleplayers I've come across were very understanding, generous people. *Scratches head* It's a bit odd how people can blur the line. As previously mentioned, might just be due to folks seeing too many characters that were roleplayed similar to the player and they just remember their experiences too well. At the end of the day, as Iex said best, it really seems like a miscommunication more often than not!

I think more often than not, the problematic tends to pop up when it revolves around love/relationship/flirtatious RP. I personally think it's because a lot of people have experienced the lines being blurred or completely crossed when it comes to ic/ooc and love. I've heard a lot of talk about that people have been stalked oocly because someone took the RP into the OOC realm, and I have also tried it myself. So when someone has a character that flirts with absolutely anything, I can see how one might get worried that the person is somehow having an IC/OOC bleed with it, however I would also say that usually an IC/OOC bleed will always reveal itself along the line - related to that aspect or not. 

I greatly enjoy the characters that can RP these things out without getting it all muddled up :) And I very much agree that people should not be pressing morals down on people oocly for RP'ing what they do, be it skimpy or evil or something else. That's just a bleed from the other side. 

How people deal with IC/OOC bleeding is different, but personally I try to distance myself from it, especially if it happens on the love-area. I believe it's one of those things that are needed for RP to properly happen, so I try not to slack on it in my own RP.

Pretty much I just think a lot of misconceptions about players and how they are comes from the lack of OOC communication. If someone has nothing but the IC behavior of a character, they cannot technically make a sound judgment about the person, but at the same time... they can't really see the player for anything but the character.

On the devil's advocate side of things, sometimes people are more similar to their character than they realize. The case of IC bleeding into OOC. Or... they are rping a character actually how they are.

On the more realistic point of view, most of it I think is miscommunication and lack of communication. The best thing you can do is just keep being yourself and not let it affect you (easier said than done) if it is actually is malicious it will end up backfiring on them if you don't 'take the bait.' If it is merely a misunderstanding and you give it a chance likely time+communication=betterallaroundrelationships.

I've had a problem with it a time or two in the past, but it's more something I've seen happen and it's an interesting topic that never seems brought up though it does fall in the 'separation of IC and OOC'.

First of all, let's not have this topic go into the "dick measuring contest" that most of bad RP quality threads go into. An example is, "Oh I would -never- do this. I'm such a good RPer."

On topic, I know exactly what you mean. It's like hating an actor because he or she plays an evil character. In fact it's exactly what it's like. It makes me afraid to play some certain roles too.

First of all, let's not have this topic go into the "dick measuring contest" that most of bad RP quality threads go into. An example is, "Oh I would -never- do this. I'm such a good RPer."

On topic, I know exactly what you mean. It's like hating an actor because he or she plays an evil character. In fact it's exactly what it's like. It makes me afraid to play some certain roles too.

Pfft, don't be afraid to roleplay anything. Things may scrape against the majority's favoured opinion in the most -extreme- of cases, but that's a rarity, and at the end of the day the only opinions that matter is your own (and perhaps your friends). Everything mentioned reaffirms my opinion that most cases are just miscommunications, and if folks are blurring the OOC with the IC, well, there's not much that can be helped. :S

It happens. A lot. I see it happen frequently to myself and others alike. >_> Obviously, the real blame lies on the person blurring the lines of OOC and IC, but for the person being potentially judged for their character's IC actions, it's important to communicate and try to explain and reassure the other person that IC = IC.

I've been called a ass OOC because of comments Aaron has made IC about certain people. 

I just ignore it. Most people who know me outside of IC interactions can vouch im actually a pretty swell person a bit with a short attention span and a little wild but that's besides the point

It happens. A lot. I see it happen frequently to myself and others alike. >_> Obviously, the real blame lies on the person blurring the lines of OOC and IC, but for the person being potentially judged for their character's IC actions, it's important to communicate and try to explain and reassure the other person that IC = IC.

Yeah. This one time, someone was talking bad about me because my character did and said something.

Weird, isn't it?

Yeah. This one time, someone was talking bad about me because my character did and said something.

Weird, isn't it?

I'd go as far to say it was insane.

Weird, isn't it?

I don't really play these games like you do, Faye. If you want to be two-faced, do it with the whole forum knowing what you are. (:

Weird, isn't it?

I don't really play these games like you do, Faye. If you want to be two-faced, do it with the whole forum knowing what you are. (:

There's a difference between being two-faced and not wanting to violate the RPC's rules by pointlessly dragging personal disputes here--something you'd probably be better off practicing yourself. I'm not gonna derail this thread any farther, but you can go right ahead.

Edit: Sorry, Freelance, hadn't seen your post.

Weird, isn't it?

There's a difference between being two-faced and not wanting to violate the RPC's rules by pointlessly dragging personal disputes here--something you'd probably be better off practicing yourself. I'm not gonna derail this thread any farther, but you can go right ahead.

The moment you replied with "it was insane" was a dragging a personal dispute. I'll have a personal talk with you if you'll let me but until then, it's just going to be passive aggressive drama with each other. 

FS6dFFu.png

I've been called a ass OOC because of comments Aaron has made IC about certain people. 

I just ignore it. Most people who know me outside of IC interactions can vouch im actually a pretty swell person a bit with a short attention span and a little wild but that's besides the point

This thread is NOT allowed to close until I point out I've said some horrible things at/to Aaron's stupid face about stuff I didn't like.

That said, I'm fairly sure it's behind us now. Sometimes calling someone unkind things opens up doors, is what I'm saying.

Sometimes calling someone unkind things opens up doors, is what I'm saying.

Hardly. 

I just found it weird that Faye would openly say "People do this and it's bad" when she and her white-knights are doing exactly this.

Yeah, but I'm talking about the time I straight-up called Aaron an english c-word in the middle of a Grindstone match or something and he was like "Wtf?" and then we sort of came to a middle ground on the forums talking about hobby writing and now we're best bros and stuff.

My history might be a little off, but I'm fairly sure that's how it happened.

Sometimes calling someone unkind things opens up doors, is what I'm saying.

Hardly. 

I just found it weird that Faye would openly say "People do this and it's bad" when she and her white-knights are doing exactly this.

Yeah, but I'm talking about the time I straight-up called Aaron an english c-word in the middle of a Grindstone match or something and he was like "Wtf?" and then we sort of came to a middle ground on the forums talking about hobby writing and now we're best bros and stuff.

My history might be a little off, but I'm fairly sure that's how it happened.

Ah, okay. I see! That makes sense. I'm sorry, I thought you were referring to me! (:

Nope. Trust me, I piss people off all the time (I think, no one should take internet forums too seriously). Especially here. Or in-game. Double especially on linkshell.

That said, everyone seems to put up with me ICly when I show up any place. I'm sure there are some people who dislike me lots, and that's fine, but it's always nice to see people put that aside to RP regardless.

That said, everyone seems to put up with me ICly when I show up any place. I'm sure there are some people who dislike me lots, and that's fine, but it's always nice to see people put that aside to RP regardless.

Most of the time, if people hate other people (like in this thread) they don't roleplay with you.