Snugglin' Poetics

So I made it to triple-digit iLevel! Woo and yay! :D

I even gots myself a shiny new Conqueror axe...which is probably about as high as I will want to travel with the Rawrior class weapon-wise. All under my own steam, though not without the help of friends, PUGs and jackasses all.

Now I'm looking to the Poetics side of things. As far as armor goes, I'm more than pleased with farming WoD for the Demon Fending set because it has good stats and OMG SO STYLISH ON STEEL HURRRNNNGGH! So Poetics will likely be dumped into accessories almost exclusively.

I've found just through my own casual derping as well as helping FCmates and friends that my Poetics tomes tend to sort of pile up slowly on their own...but this thread was to ask the question of folks far more experienced than I on this whole thing. Is there some better way to nom up the Poetics? The most "geif Poes plz" content I've seen has been the Expert Roulette, but I wasn't sure if there were other things perhaps I'm missing to sweep up those Poes and get Steel blinged out.

Honestly, as long as you do your Expert and Trial roulettes on a daily basis, you can cap out on Poetics by Friday/Saturday. Possibly even earlier if you're also trying to knock out the weekly, which means a CT, ST, and WoD for a few extra of the shiny trinkets.

Also, don't feel too bad about dumping some poetics on left-side gear if you're having bad luck with WoD drops. I've seen some real frustration with people who have been going through the place 10-11 times because their chest piece just won't drop or something. Their anger is palpable.

I have been screamingly lucky in that the chest AND the boots dropped for me on a second and first run respectively...so, aesthetically I'd like the helmet and the gloves...but this is solid advice all the same, thank you Chachan. <3

I'm yet to see another piece of Fending drop in WoD since the first day of the content.

I've found that, if you can stomach the wait times, the PVP roulette is quite tasty, too. Matches tend to last around 10 minutes and you'll get 40 poetics for your troubles, plus some fun PVP content and EXP.

... Is it really? I wouldn't mind getting that ADS mount at some point because I find it hilarious. I just don't want to go diving into PVP for it. If I could work my way slowly towards it through a roulette, though...

I could then honor Billy Mays by GETTING ON THE BALL.

Is THAT where that mini-Death Star mount comes from? HAH! I'd seen that maybe one time in Moar Donuts and was wondering just what the hell dropped that. Assumed it to be a Coil thing and went on my way.

Presumably, the Tomes drop regardless of win or loss? Because I've never PVP'd before, and I presume I'll be accused of being carried even louder than I usually am in CT.

Well  after healer fear from WoD but I also want Bard. So running as healer so far I snagged legs (need) for healer and legs (greed) for bard.

If you just want one piece it could take ages, so for keeping calm I can recommend widening your shopping list.

Really as long as you do at least the expert roulette or frontlines roulette every day you'll hit the cap before the end of the week. 

Worrying about fast poetics acquisition comes up only if you're trying to push an upgrade before your static's weekly coil run.

Right, there's no particular reason to rush. Especially with a (relatively) easy access to i110 gear via upgrading soldier gear with sands and oils from ST.

While it may not be the case with tanks (I think the general consensus is all VIT all the time and such on the left side, and either more VIT or STR gear on the right), with the other classes, some of i110 stuff might be "better" in some cases due to secondary stat allocation if you're not delving into Coil for the "proper" items.

Gogon, for example, still has his Daystar Robes and Pants because crit and det are better than spell speed for SCHs. And I love me my big crit Adlos and Physicks. Though, again, proper secondary stat allocation is again more of a "win more" thing when not dealing with proper raids.

... What point was I making again?

20 for the roulette bonus, 20 for the match ending. Since PVP tends to be large numbers, it's not so bad. Even if you're awful you can get lost in the mix. This isn't a PVP thread, though, so I'll just mention it's an easy 40 poetics for finishing the roulette.

This. Though your mileage may vary as it can be a very frustrating experience as a melee class. Intentionally or not it seems to greatly favour ranged classes unfortunately. I do it as a DRG and pretty much just stick close to a healer and attack anything that tries to strike them down.

While it may not be the case with tanks (I think the general consensus is all VIT all the time and such on the left side, and either more VIT or STR gear on the right), with the other classes, some of i110 stuff might be "better" in some cases due to secondary stat allocation if you're not delving into Coil for the "proper" items.

Gogon, for example, still has his Daystar Robes and Pants because crit and det are better than spell speed for SCHs. And I love me my big crit Adlos and Physicks. Though, again, proper secondary stat allocation is again more of a "win more" thing when not dealing with proper raids.

... What point was I making again?

All tank gear on the left side has both STR and VIT. No exceptions.

VIT gear is only useful if you're facing unfamiliar content and want a buffer to give your healers some breathing room. For everything else (re: everything not Final Coil, which Wolf is not participating in), STR accessories are the way to go for tank classes.

Also, keep in mind that your secondary stats have to be REALLY superior to be worth sacrificing ilvls for. Primary stats are worth three times as much as secondary stats (and weapon damage is worth three times primary stats, for a total of nine times the value of secondary stats). That means that sacrificing, say, 7 strength for 15 determination is always a poor trade.

It's worth noting that the grand majority of 'optimal' gear (re: crit/det) drops in Coil, so this is a moot point anyway. If you're not running Coil you just take what you can get, and forget about trying to min/max.

20 for the roulette bonus, 20 for the match ending. Since PVP tends to be large numbers, it's not so bad. Even if you're awful you can get lost in the mix. This isn't a PVP thread, though, so I'll just mention it's an easy 40 poetics for finishing the roulette.

This. Though your mileage may vary as it can be a very frustrating experience as a melee class. Intentionally or not it seems to greatly favour ranged classes unfortunately. I do it as a DRG and pretty much just stick close to a healer and attack anything that tries to strike them down.

It can seem that way at first, until you play a BLM and get all your casts interrupted, or play BRD and find yourself doing shit-all for damage because you only have a tiny 7m window to do 100% damage in (seriously, this is a thing in PvP).

That being said, I hear the slaughter game mode (I haven't played it yet) is a hot mess right now thanks to the massive number of players gathering in one place, so that probably doesn't help matters any.

It's worth noting that the grand majority of 'optimal' gear (re: crit/det) drops in Coil, so this is a moot point anyway. If you're not running Coil you just take what you can get, and forget about trying to min/max.

Yeah, I remember hearing a debate about the value of primary stat over secondaries and such. Weapon damage isn't quite an issue with Gogon, since he's currently gathering Light for his relic. It was more a matter of helping me prioritize what to replace in what order.

Next piece, for example, is to replace the Daystar Robe (though I'm also hoping to get that tattered ol' healing skirt out of WoD at some point too - good iLevel AND proper itemization~). Just a holdover from when I actually did raid, I guess.