That new Law and Order episode

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I made the mistake of clicking through that video to look at the comments. -_-

It's hard to not look at what a lot of those "gamergate" folk say and not see a "burning hatred of all women". That SVU episode makes it pretty clear that it's definitely not true for all gamers, though. The disgusting creeps in it were a minority. A dangerous one, but a minority.

This tendency to apply something bad said about "Gamers" to all gamers, or "Men" to all men (remember #notallmen?  Well not all men do.)

... Is really quite tiring. There's a huuuuuumongous problem of culture in the game industry at the moment because it seems to have found overlap in the criminal elements and the right wing extremes.

Doesn't mean everyone who plays games is bad, but there sure ain't no lack of assholes.

Well, I made the mistake of clicking through that video to look at the comments. -_-

It's hard to not look at what a lot of those "gamergate" folk say and not see a "burning hatred of all women". That SVU episode makes it pretty clear that it's definitely not true for all gamers, though. The disgusting creeps in it were a minority. A dangerous one, but a minority.

Except the disgusting creeps were the only representation of gamers, if you don't count all the guys chanting over an FPS. The writers oversimplified the Gamegate controversy, and "people who hate all women" is one of the common misconceptions about the movement. The fact that you can say that the cartoon supervillain misogynist gamer characters in the episode could be an actual minority shows that the episode, in some way, worked. It's the 90s again, people who play video games are "dangerous" again.

At least baneposting is gone on 8chan though.

This.

This tendency to apply something bad said about "Gamers" to all gamers, or "Men" to all men (remember #notallmen?  Well not all men do.)

... Is really quite tiring. There's a huuuuuumongous problem of culture in the game industry at the moment because it seems to have found overlap in the criminal elements and the right wing extremes.

Doesn't mean everyone who plays games is bad, but there sure ain't no lack of assholes.

And this.

To add my own two cents about the ridiculousness of Gamergate, though... I don't believe ethics in game journalism is that rampant or serious of a problem (at least, none of the people who've raved to me about it could actually give credible evidence to me of how it was). But if people really want to champion that cause, more power to 'em, but they A) should probably form an actual group with clear cut goals and ideas how to make progress that's not just a lot dudes yelling on the internet in a formless, aimless mass that does nothing progressive but send hatemail (and often not even to game journalists...), B) should probably form their own movement rather than piggybacking on a movement that was literally made to harass women and then wonder why everyone thinks they're misogynists and whine about how people are making it about hating women when "it's actually about ethics in game journalism," and C) should probably find a different name for themselves than "Gamergaters" since it's become synonymous with harassing women and if they really do want ethics and are supposedly thoroughly against harassment and sexism, they shouldn't want to be associated with such things, especially since it completely distracts from their goals of promoting ethics.

But something truly wonderful came out of Gamergate--this meme.

To add my own two cents about the ridiculousness of Gamergate' date=' though... I don't believe ethics in game journalism is that rampant or serious of a problem (at least, none of the people who've raved to me about it could actually give credible evidence to me of how it was). But if people really want to champion that cause, more power to 'em, but they [b']A)[/b] should probably form an actual group with clear cut goals and ideas how to make progress that's not just a lot dudes yelling on the internet in a formless, aimless mass that does nothing progressive but send hatemail (and often not even to game journalists...), B) should probably form their own movement rather than piggybacking on a movement that was literally made to harass women and then wonder why everyone thinks they're misogynists and whine about how people are making it about hating women when "it's actually about ethics in game journalism," and C) should probably find a different name for themselves than "Gamergaters" since it's become synonymous with harassing women and if they really do want ethics and are supposedly thoroughly against harassment and sexism, they shouldn't want to be associated with such things, especially since it completely distracts from their goals of promoting ethics.

This echoes my thoughts entirely.

Little unrelated, but sometimes I think I'm the only one who sits here going "HOLY CRAP IT'S ONLY A FREAKING VIDEO GAME" ._. If it were news journalism, that'd be fair enough to make into such a big deal, but damn... just video games, man, not worth extensive harassment and threatening rape

Gamergate is still a thing? I thought it was already written off as some pathetic movement to harass women disguised as seeking "justice" in journalism or something.

I don't get the problem. When someone reads a review, they're reading an opinion. It's not their fault that other consumers/gamers see that opinion and decide to piggyback and not buy the game. It's the consumer's responsibility to see the review, pick out the things they feel are arbitrary to them, and be done with it. Someone doesn't like a game because it shows women in bikinis? If that's not a problem, then ignore that part of the review. Someone thinks the controls sucked? Maybe the consumer thought they were fine.

At this point, I feel reviews should simply be titled as "opinions" and maybe then people won't get their feelings hurt when someone says they don't like something. But.. I highly doubt it.

This.

And this.

To add my own two cents about the ridiculousness of Gamergate, though... I don't believe ethics in game journalism is that rampant or serious of a problem (at least, none of the people who've raved to me about it could actually give credible evidence to me of how it was). But if people really want to champion that cause, more power to 'em, but they A) should probably form an actual group with clear cut goals and ideas how to make progress that's not just a lot dudes yelling on the internet in a formless, aimless mass that does nothing progressive but send hatemail (and often not even to game journalists...), B) should probably form their own movement rather than piggybacking on a movement that was literally made to harass women and then wonder why everyone thinks they're misogynists and whine about how people are making it about hating women when "it's actually about ethics in game journalism," and C) should probably find a different name for themselves than "Gamergaters" since it's become synonymous with harassing women and if they really do want ethics and are supposedly thoroughly against harassment and sexism, they shouldn't want to be associated with such things, especially since it completely distracts from their goals of promoting ethics.

But something truly wonderful came out of Gamergate--this meme.

A) Evidence that ethics in game journalism are practically nonexistent, condensed into a convenient tumblr: http://loltaku.tumblr.com/

If you want something more recent, you can look up the time Gawker spammed a Coca-Cola "spread happiness" or something campaign with quotes from Mein Kampf, because the campaign was... promoting happiness for straight white males, obviously.

B) The movement is based on an anonymous imageboard, where anyone can say literally anything. People have taken screenshots of one person screaming about how women are terrible and branded the entire movement is against women. What they leave out is the ten or so replies to that comment telling the poster to get out and stay out. If Gamegate hated women, why did they fund The Fine Young Capitalists, a movement that aimed to get women into the games industry? Why did they choose a female avatar to represent their movement? Why does #NotYourShield exist? If more people actually dug past what the media says and did proper research, they'd realize that the story is heavily skewed to favor one side over the other. 

Becaaaaaaause when you're going against the media, guess who's going to do everything to discredit you? The media!

C) Feminists don't disassociate themselves from the title "Feminism" because of a minority being hardcore misandrists or attention seekers. Gamergate doesn't betray itself because a minority is what the media has chosen to represent them.

Also that meme has been dead for months, and is just another example of the opposition using slander and mockery, since the evidence they ignore contradicts the narrative they want to spin.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/gamergate The actual history behind it, if anyone's interested.

Evidence that ethics in game journalism are practically nonexistent, condensed into a convenient tumblr: http://loltaku.tumblr.com/

Maybe it's just that I don't feel like dredging through pages of a random tumblr, but so far I don't see much there but complaints about clickbait/misleading titles (and not even all gaming related) which is a pretty widespread problem in all internet journalism and not specific to gaming at all.

Also that meme has been dead for months, and is just another example of the opposition using slander and mockery, since the evidence they ignore contradicts the narrative they want to spin.

It's been dead because Gamergate has been dead. What's your point with that? The tumblr you linked also contained a lot of slander and mockery as could be expected of any random tumblr our there, so that doesn't seem like anything worth mentioning.

The rest is just... not even worth responding to lol. People will believe whatever they want to believe, especially when their priorities are so skewed they care more about some mostly imagined war on video games than they do the harassment of real people.

Evidence that ethics in game journalism are practically nonexistent, condensed into a convenient tumblr: http://loltaku.tumblr.com/

Maybe it's just that I don't feel like dredging through pages of a random tumblr, but so far I don't see much there but complaints about clickbait/misleading titles (and not even all gaming related) which is a pretty widespread problem in all internet journalism and not specific to gaming at all.

It's been dead because Gamergate has been dead. What's your point with that? The tumblr you linked also contained a lot of slander and mockery as could be expected of any random tumblr our there, so that doesn't seem like anything worth mentioning.

The rest is just... not even worth responding to lol. People will believe whatever they want to believe, especially when their priorities are so skewed they care more about some mostly imagined war on video games than they do the harassment of real people.

Did you not see the eleven or so "Gamers are dead" articles that sprung up when the movement started? Or the thousands of reddit comments that got deleted because the media didn't want people to have any discussion at all? And no, you cannot tell me that every single comment was pure vitrol.

And what does the language of the tumblr have to do with anything? It's a mockery of clickbait journalism, which is more prevelant in games journalism than any other. There's not a whole lot you can say about it without insulting the writers for being shallow and money-grubbing. What I'm getting is that you don't want to check one or two pages of a dissenting opinion.

Also, a ten second google search of "Gamergate" brings up 4 articles about it that were published 9 hours ago. It's still the most trending topic on Know Your Meme. The /gamergate/ board on 8chan is active. It's still very much alive.

Did you not see the eleven or so "Gamers are dead" articles that sprung up when the movement started? Or the thousands of reddit comments that got deleted because the media didn't want people to have any discussion at all? And no, you cannot tell me that every single comment was pure vitrol.

No, I did not. There are probably more than 11 articles about most things. I don't know what point that is supposed to prove? o_o I can easily believe thousands of comments on Reddit were pure vitriol, but regardless, Reddit deletes Reddit comments. This faceless entity that's the "media" doesn't swoop in and erase content from their website.

And what does the language of the tumblr have to do with anything? Every post has a screenshot

....wat?

Also, a ten second google search of "Gamergate" brings up 4 articles about it that were published 9 hours ago. It's still the most trending topic on Know Your Meme. The /gamergate/ board on 8chan is active. It's still very much alive.

Did you ever think it was all dredged back up by the Law and Order episode a la your own post right here? :|

No, I did not. There are probably more than 11 articles about most things. I don't know what point that is supposed to prove? o_o I can easily believe thousands of comments on Reddit were pure vitriol, but regardless, Reddit deletes Reddit comments. This faceless entity that's the "media" doesn't swoop in and erase content from their website.

And what does the language of the tumblr have to do with anything? Every post has a screenshot

....wat?

Did you ever think it was all dredged back up by the Law and Order episode a la your own post right here? :|

Except all of those sites banned discussion of GG from the very beginning. It was damage control. And when that failed, they started churning out "gamers are deeeeead!" articles. And when that failed, they just resorted to ad hominem attacks. We're all sexist racist white men. Notyourshield gets created on twitter aaaand... we're still sexist racist white men who apparently control minorities now. 

That's what critics of the movement do: deflect evidence, move goalposts, and make ad hominem attacks on invisible boogeymen.

Also, another ten second google search brings up an article on February 9th, before the episode aired. Even further back is January 28th. Just because they say it, it doesn't make it true.

I'm so glad we all agree Gamergate is a terrible terrible thing.

... As for Dick Wolf. I remember seeing that at the end of random Law and Order episodes, and I don't think I have avoided noticing even once.

I mean you're either very funny or very un-funny to go by "Dick Wolf"

Sigh. Gamergate is honestly the most useless and superfluous development I've ever seen. Everyone knows honest gaming journalism died with Nintendo Power, and also that due to the fact that Revive kills Zombies, it's never coming back.

That and also the amount of harassment they churn out in the name of "Purification" is absolutely ridiculous. Many young women--even children--have given up hope that they will ever be hired in the Gaming industry because of gamergate and the fiascos that have followed it. 

In short; it's doing the exact opposite of what it was supposedly intended to do: Support young indie game developers by exposing corruption of the Media.

Not that the media will ever not be corrupt. If they were actually observant they'd notice that this is nothing new. Even Nintendo Power would sing praises for it's high-selling titles.

The people who want to write Gamergate off as misogyny-disguised-as-a-movement will look at the cherrypicked screenshots and make their conclusions.

The people who want to acknowledge Gamergate as scrutiny of the incestuous gaming industry will dig for details and speak out against the people trolling.

And not a thing either side can do will ever convince the other side that they're the right side. There's legitimate things brought up by pro-GG people and there's legitimate worries from the anti-GG people. No one wants to hear them over their own echo chambers, though.

I didn't really read the previous posts on this but..Honestly people acting like "Zoey Whatevers" is an innocent victim and the gilted ex that wrote the apocryphal blog about their relationship is just a pathetic loser and woman-hater out for revenge clearly didn't actually read the post... lol

Do I think Zoey's game got released because she was sleeping with her boss? Nah.  Do I think that she's a really shitty person that doesn't deserve respect?  Yeah.  Doesn't mean she deserves death threats but she also deserves less than 0 respect or credibility as a human being.  Emotional abuse in relationships is a real thing, and she definitely used it against the author of the blog.

If you still aren't sure whether or not she's a shitty person, you could try reading the "Gender reversed" version of the blog called "The Joey Post" and see if your gender roles still hold up lol.

https://thejoeypost.wordpress.com/

I didn't really read the previous posts on this but..Honestly people acting like "Zoey Whatevers" is an innocent victim and the gilted ex that wrote the apocryphal blog about their relationship is just a pathetic loser and woman-hater out for revenge clearly didn't actually read the post... lol

Do I think Zoey's game got released because she was sleeping with her boss? Nah.  Do I think that she's a really shitty person that doesn't deserve respect?  Yeah.  Doesn't mean she deserves death threats but she also deserves less than 0 respect or credibility as a human being.  Emotional abuse in relationships is a real thing, and she definitely used it against the author of the blog.

If you still aren't sure whether or not she's a shitty person, you could try reading the "Gender reversed" version of the blog called "The Joey Post" and see if your gender roles still hold up lol.

https://thejoeypost.wordpress.com/

Her relationships don't matter. What matters is the crazy amount of censorship on gaming sites that followed when people discovered that two of the guys where journalists that covered her game. There were people who harassed her because of the scandal, and those are the people the antis put under a spotlight, since it fits into a neat black and white good vs evil narrative.

Gamergate has moved on from the "Quinnspiracy", since it became obvious that there was no way to convince anyone that it was about journalists colluding with devs and mass censorship and not "THE WOMAN SLEPT WITH FIVE GUYS HARASS HER!"