Heavensward Site Updated- FRESH LORE

The part of the lore I desperately need is the Xaela naming conventions. Our Xaelas need to know their names already >_<

PS: I enjoyed the FFXIV main quest ending, though I obviously do not imagine that my character is a part of it. In fact, I find the WoL character quite annoying; they're nothing but an overpowered puppet, two traits I'm not a fan of *laughs*.

All this ranting about the MSQ makes me appreciate how good Blade & Soul's story is in comparison.

Which is a bit mean of me to say because I know most folks won't actually get to touch it until its release later (much later) this year.

Anyway. Yes, there's a lot of stuff they could have handled better during the MSQ. A lot of their plot threads were way too obvious going forward, which, while not a problem in and of itself, only makes some of the jankier bits stand out that much more. And then there's the whole question of ascribing motives to the PC that the player almost certainly doesn't share, which can feel a bit problematic in an MMORPG where the PC is completely unique to that player.

Buuuut the game's story is more of an incidental thing - for me at least, it's just a fun little sideshow and not really something I take all that seriously. If it were more like an old-school Western RPG where we could pick dialogue options and affect the course of the story in some significant ways, I would actually have more reasons to care. Instead, I just take what fun lore I can get from it and otherwise largely discard it.

Oh, and occasionally I revisit the cutscenes so I can take pretty pictures. But, y'know, that has nothing to do with the story and a lot more to do with the cinematography and the graphics and the artwork and that sort of thing, so... Yeah. Mm-hmm.

I just can't take any story blade and soul might try to tell seriously, because of its art style.

It is so ridiculous and over the top I feel like even posting gameplay images would need a NSFW tag.

Otto you'd be the richest bitch in game selling airships out your new airship company.

He's a goldsmith/fashion designer by trade. Obviously he doesn't make money making airships. He makes money pimping them out with sweet bling and style.

HEY, I'M OTTO, AND I'M HERE TO PIMP YOUR SHIP.

MSQ is pretty damn trash I mean even FF1 had a better story. The way the WoL is presented they're the dumbest person alive.

Thordan has black circles surrounding his eyes. Ascian possession confirmed.

The site has been updated!

Check out new pictures of some of the dragons etc in the Media section

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/heavensward/sp/media/

Most importantly..

Nidhogg

One of the great seven wyrms born of Midgardsormr.

He is said to have terrorized Coerthas since Ishgard's founding, spreading death and destruction for the past thousand years.

History speaks most notably of his clash with King Thordan I. Though the battle cost the lives of the king and many of his men, Nidhogg would not escape unscathed. The hero Haldrath plucked from his skull a trophy—a treasure simply known as "the Eye."

This relic of unimaginable power remains sealed deep within the vaults of Ishgard.

Hraesvelgr

One of the great seven wyrms born of Midgardsormr.

Even now he makes his home in Eorzea. None can attest to sighting this terrible beast, nor can they deny his menacing presence.

Legends say the great dragon nests high in the mountains of Dravania. Records of his existence have faded into memory, but woe betide those who glimpse dark wings against the sky.

All this ranting about the MSQ makes me appreciate how good Blade & Soul's story is in comparison.

Which is a bit mean of me to say because I know most folks won't actually get to touch it until its release later (much later) this year.

Or at all

Best-Cry-Ever.gif

I'm optimistic about HW though, I have faith now that the echo training wheels are off.

Reading those descriptions of Niddy and the not-thing-from-neverending-story, something occurred to me.

For all that people seem to be taking as gospel that the Ishgardians are the assholes and in the wrong regarding the Dragonsong War, we have never once heard of them doing anything to deserve the dragons trying to murderfuck them other than the crime of defending themselves. Yes, Middy and Icetits lay the blame squarely on the Ishgardians, but they are not unbiased sources.

And yet we hear constantly of the dragons' atrocities, massacring entire villages of innocents and civilians, Niddhog 'terrorizing Coerthas' for a millennium. Yes, the Ishgardians are xenophobic dicks, but would you not be if the first race you encountered that was not similar to your own (re: the five races) tried immediately to wipe you off the map for no apparent reason, would you not also have a hard time trusting people that don't look like you?

From what I can recall, it looks to me like the aggressors in this war are the dravanians, and the Ishgardians are guilty of nothing more than trying to survive. 'Sins of the father' indeed; go fuck yourself, Middy.

From what I can recall, it looks to me like the aggressors in this war are the dravanians, and the Ishgardians are guilty of nothing more than trying to survive. 'Sins of the father' indeed; go fuck yourself, Middy.

Considering that "Middy" is still smack-talking us after we punch/chop/burn/shoot/stab his newly resurrected face, and he is still claming victory, yeah, I have a hard time taking him seriously.

In his current incarnation after 2.55, he's the perfect form to give to my Griffon as a quick snack.

For a thousand year old dragon (at least) I am disappointed by the size of Niddy and Falcor considering what a BEAST Midgardsormr is. 

HOWEVER, I am glad that it is essentially confirmed that we get to punch Nidhogg in the dick eventually. As a Dragoon main...I don't think it gets any better than that....aside from beating Midgardsormr, but we only killed a ghost anyway.

Reading those descriptions of Niddy and the not-thing-from-neverending-story, something occurred to me.

For all that people seem to be taking as gospel that the Ishgardians are the assholes and in the wrong regarding the Dragonsong War, we have never once heard of them doing anything to deserve the dragons trying to murderfuck them other than the crime of defending themselves. Yes, Middy and Icetits lay the blame squarely on the Ishgardians, but they are not unbiased sources.

And yet we hear constantly of the dragons' atrocities, massacring entire villages of innocents and civilians, Niddhog 'terrorizing Coerthas' for a millennium. Yes, the Ishgardians are xenophobic dicks, but would you not be if the first race you encountered that was not similar to your own (re: the five races) tried immediately to wipe you off the map for no apparent reason, would you not also have a hard time trusting people that don't look like you?

Well I mean.

It's not like the dragons write history books. Who knows their side of the story?

adzncki.jpg

"Dear Diary, today this crazy person jumped on me with a spear, and pulled out my eye. What a bunch of dicks"

They don't write history books because they don't need to. They're so long-lived that it's not history to them, it's life events.

And despite this, I'm still not seeing or hearing any justification for their wanton slaughter of the Ishgardian people.

If the dragons lived there first it could simply be they're trying to keep people from overtaking where they lived for ages?

Similar to the battle of Silvertear. The Garleans invaded Midgardsormrs home area, he didn't attack first.