A New Primal Approaches

Viola

I don't know if anyone has brought up Odin, but the story implied that Odin appears regularly like he does without any worshippers because of being tied to Zantetsuken and the sword takes over anyone hapless enough to pick it up and possesses that person and then slowly drinks up Aether until he can fully manifest again

Might be a good angle to work with.

I like this idea. Maybe Memenu inhabits a cursed item, and slowly turns whoever picks it up into a new incarnation of Memenu until she fully manifests and is defeated or goes dormant.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember if it was an Elder primal or just "ancient," but Belias is part the SMN questline. There's a lot I don't remember being explained there too, like how the SMN NPC was able to access that primal to make an Egi out of it (probably has more to do with Ascian fuckery than anything else). I'd look it up if I had more time today.

To put it out there, Elder/Ancient Primals are just ones that are not being actively prayed to today.

Odin basically tempers a victim to pick up his sword and then uses the host to drain enough aether until he can materialize.

Bahamut is kept alive by ancient Allagan tech.

Belias is a little strangers, as we don't have much lore there. Seeing how he's basically a giant purple/black ifrit-egi, I've seen some speculation that perhaps Belias is an older interpretation of Ifrit that fell out of worship. (If we're assuming primals are the way they are because of how they are believed to look like, this could make sense). Otherwise, Belias simply falls under the category of "no longer worshipped" and was just a flickering memory brought alive through the bunches of SMN stones SMN Quest Rival Guy had. >Also, Ascians.

To put it out there, Elder/Ancient Primals are just ones that are not being actively prayed to today.

Odin basically tempers a victim to pick up his sword and then uses the host to drain enough aether until he can materialize.

Bahamut is kept alive by ancient Allagan tech.

Belias is a little strangers, as we don't have much lore there. Seeing how he's basically a giant purple/black ifrit-egi, I've seen some speculation that perhaps Belias is an older interpretation of Ifrit that fell out of worship. (If we're assuming primals are the way they are because of how they are believed to look like, this could make sense). Otherwise, Belias simply falls under the category of "no longer worshipped" and was just a flickering memory brought alive through the bunches of SMN stones SMN Quest Rival Guy had. >Also, Ascians.

Belias is odd due to the lack of info on him in the ff14 world. My bet is he could be one of the demon fell by the Zodiac Brave like with Final Fantasy Tactics. He was also a summoner based class in FFT which is more then likely why he was used as a nod to the Ivalice Alliance as are the Ascian names being linked to the Scions of Light.

I wouldn't be surprised we get the see the rest of the Scions of Darkness as some point either as a past of the summoner quest line or linked to the growing weapons arc some time down the road.

While that would be rather cool if Memenu was an Elder Primal, the problem I can see is that it'd cause a rework of the backstory, which I suppose (wouldn't) be a problem.

Though I think they'd (adventurers, scions, warrior of light, etc) still hunt her down, it'd more or less allow the removal of a limiter to her strength (though because this is a player character, limits still need to be there just for the sake of fairness).

While that would be rather cool if Memenu was an Elder Primal, the problem I can see is that it'd cause a rework of the backstory, which I suppose (wouldn't) be a problem.

Though I think they'd (adventurers, scions, warrior of light, etc) still hunt her down, it'd more or less allow the removal of a limiter to her strength (though because this is a player character, limits still need to be there just for the sake of fairness).

Well, yes.  Because Primals are bad no matter how benevolent they may intend to be.  They are always harmful.

I think a benign possessed weapon with primal-esque characteristics could be worked into the setting, despite the lack of precedent. We know spirits and voidsent exist, that they can possess people, and that it is possible to use your own aether, rather than the aether of the land, to enact magic. So perhaps a primal-like creature could be summoned out of people's grudge in the same manner as Moogle Mog. Maybe just a few crystals were used, and rather than feeding off the aether of the land, it feeds off the aether of the weapon-holder. So it would work like Odin, but not necessarily be a full on Primal. Thus after a while, the lalafell primal's host dies or must give up the weapon from exhaustion, and Memenu becomes dormant again. I don't think it sounds too far fetched.

Just letting you guys know I added a wiki page for Memenu, and I would appreciate some help formatting it, mainly because I'm [really] bad at that kind of stuff.

That and it's only a placeholder for now until the backstory is fully complete.