Getting into Balmung - Not Happening Indefinitely.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I can say before Heavensward it was a lot easier to get into Balmung. Now it's literally impossible. So I have a character on Zalera I'm going to xfer over after the 3 days are up.

It was pretty impossible before anyway. HW just adds another layer of bullshit just to make a character. 

Before, Madda stayed up 3 nights in a row just to make 1 character, and 2 nights ended in only being open for character creation for a few minutes. 

What Madda wants to know is why we have to do this? There is no other MMO that does what XIV does with the character creation.

I can say before Heavensward it was a lot easier to get into Balmung. Now it's literally impossible. So I have a character on Zalera I'm going to xfer over after the 3 days are up.

It was pretty impossible before anyway. HW just adds another layer of bullshit just to make a character. 

Before, Madda stayed up 3 nights in a row just to make 1 character, and 2 nights ended in only being open for character creation for a few minutes. 

What Madda wants to know is why we have to do this? There is no other MMO that does what XIV does with the character creation.

It's to prevent something like the maps crashing (which happens on FFXIV when it gets overloaded).

Or in the event a map/zone doesn't go down, massive rubber-banding/lag spikes because the server can't process all the data to keep up with the number of people there.

While one person doesn't really add all that much load, imagine 10. Or 100. Or 500.

I'd have to try to illustrate it in code, which means it probably won't get far. But the gist is that each character's actions might have to be sent to every other person on the server who's applicable. (Think, being able to see someone move, or craft, or use a skill, or to play triple triad, etc. Your client doesn't just magically know. It's gotta receive one or more packets from the server telling it all of that. And when you have to get a lot of -other- people's information, it can get bogged down sending that to everyone)

Basic Server Packet Processor(){
   while (server is online){
       for (every character on the server){
           if (the server receives a packet of data saying the character did something){
               process it();
               send that action to all the other characters();
               update the database to save changes();
           }
       }
   }

It's to prevent something like the maps crashing (which happens on FFXIV when it gets overloaded).

Or in the event a map/zone doesn't go down, massive rubber-banding/lag spikes because the server can't process all the data to keep up with the number of people there.

While one person doesn't really add all that much load, imagine 10. Or 100. Or 500.

While technical, this doesn't answer the question which was why.

It explains why it has to be this way, not why they made it this way in the first place. Historically, I can't think of any MMO that's had such a long standing lock on any given server in terms of character creation.

Now, I could see it in the case of accounts that don't already have a character on the server because that would add +1 to the potential number of characters on the server, but people who already do? I can't exactly log on as Kell and Sati at the same time, y'know.

While technical, this doesn't answer the question which was why.

It explains why it has to be this way, not why they made it this way in the first place. Historically, I can't think of any MMO that's had such a long standing lock on any given server in terms of character creation.

Now, I could see it in the case of accounts that don't already have a character on the server because that would add +1 to the potential number of characters on the server, but people who already do? I can't exactly log on as Kell and Sati at the same time, y'know.

Put simply, poor design. Or maybe it's a blatant "we're not just a WoW clone with FF elements put on top." But hey, the MMO is doing pretty well. I don't agree with all of SE's decisions, but I still throw my money at them for subscription and extra retainers.

Put simply, poor design. Or maybe it's a blatant "we're not just a WoW clone with FF elements put on top." But hey, the MMO is doing pretty well. I don't agree with all of SE's decisions, but I still throw my money at them for subscription and extra retainers.

Like, it feels it's a relic from 2010 (was it 2010 when XIV first came out? I'm not sure) that, even back then, was outdated.

I still pay 'em don't get me wrong (though I'm kind of burned out and I entirely blame HW for that) but it feels weird that this is happening today, y'know?

Like, it feels it's a relic from 2010 (was it 2010 when XIV first came out? I'm not sure) that, even back then, was outdated.

I still pay 'em don't get me wrong (though I'm kind of burned out and I entirely blame HW for that) but it feels weird that this is happening today, y'know?

...I think it was 2010. I only played 1.0 for about 5 months before the plug was pulled in 2012. ...-just- long enough to piss off my roommate by getting the gobbue with botany (because he kept arguing saying it had to be a DoM or DoW class).

There's a lot of weird stuff that carried over from 1.0 and just kinda... "old" ideas, but I like it anyways. First time I've played an MMO more than a year (RIP RO, Aion, misc failed other KMMOs).

Today marks the deadline where you were supposed to make an alt to be transferred before transfers are halted. Any character you make now cannot be transferred until after October 20 at least.

October 5th 1am PST will be when transferral is pulled down until October 20 3am PST.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been scouting out the windows of opportunity, but last night I got the email update for balmung being open. I'm assuming this means it was actually open for a decent amount of time, because the email only operates by checking once every 4 hours, right?

Anyone who's interested might want to start checking around the usual open times again, is all.

Oh! If that's the case, I'll reopen this thread for people who use it for notification emails/alerts.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=8957

Do note that the "Balmung is open" thread is only for posting whether the server is open/confirming it's open, or to inform when the server has closed. All other discussion is still best kept within this thread. :)

Oh! If that's the case, I'll reopen this thread for people who use it for notification emails/alerts.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=8957

Do note that the "Balmung is open" thread is only for posting whether the server is open/confirming it's open, or to inform when the server has closed. All other discussion is still best kept within this thread. :)

yep, that's why I wandered over here ;) didn't notice the email until the next day

a further note, for people interested in getting into Balmung- I went back and checked, the email notification came to my inbox at 11:07 pm pacific time, so people should especially check in at that time tonight. Of course, we're heading into the weekend now which even in the past was always locked.

Also, since I was on the topic, I checked the lodestone character creation restriction page (the one that the emails follow, I think) and it says that Balmung is open now. I checked to be sure, and it is not open, but this still means one of 2 things: either it was (still?) open at 1pm pacific when it was last updated, or it was an error of some sort, in which case the email I received at 11pm could have been a mistake as well. Still, thought it was worth reporting haha

• 2 weeks later...

I believe free transfers from Chaos Data Center to others is now over. It's been over a week since Chaos was physically moved to the EU.

For now it seems like Balmung has been open very sporadically (probably the lull in between content meaning players on less / unsubscribed) but it's still be closed so often that I still believe transfer is your sure fire bet. It costs money but you waste less time trying to get a character into Balmung while waiting... and waiting for a window.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maintenance Incoming!

Tonight is the night to once again try to cram your alts into Balmung. Now a days the character creation window is only open for 2 minutes at most so better set those alarm clocks and hurry!

Good luck!

So just picked up the game Friday already knowing it was gonna be a pain to get on to the server but giving it a shot anyways before just giving up and spending the cash I don't have to move over lol. But Is maintenance ever end before the scheduled time? Willing to sit here for extended maintenance but would hate to have to keep checking while it was on going.

So just picked up the game Friday already knowing it was gonna be a pain to get on to the server but giving it a shot anyways before just giving up and spending the cash I don't have to move over lol. But Is maintenance ever end before the scheduled time? Willing to sit here for extended maintenance but would hate to have to keep checking while it was on going.

2. Character creation right before Maintenance or right after it.

Again, before the 2014 holidays and Heavensward, there was about 5 minute window for a player to get a character in. You would logout, load the character saved data, and create the character right before maintenance. Unfortunately, now even just 1 minute before maintenance and both balmung and Gilgamesh are full. Now, the windows last just about 2-3 minutes for open character creation and only when servers come online just after maintenance. This means that you have to be on before the scheduled end of maintenance as maintenance typically finishes early.

Yes.

Maintenance Incoming!

Tonight is the night to once again try to cram your alts into Balmung. Now a days the character creation window is only open for 2 minutes at most so better set those alarm clocks and hurry!

Good luck!

Many times, Maintenance does end early. I'm usually fast asleep by then, but if your timezone allows, I'd almost say try through the entire time. ...or about 2 hours early to be safe. ....or hope we get a server crash as people flood back on. ...if you haven't already done so, save your character creator info so you can load saved data. Know which name you'll be picking.