So few Roe?

I find it curious that there seem to be few Roe out there.  I've peeked at a few linkshells, and looked through some of the Companies from here's Lodestone listing and there are just not a lot out there.  I'm baffled by this and wonder why.  There even seem to be fewer female Roe I find odd, given how good most look.

I think the Roe have a nice aesthetic to them, both sexes.  And of course there is the allure of a massive character for melee types, or mages if you want to break type-casting.  I can understand RPing a giant might not appeal to some, but I would think more then there are out there.

So, I'm just trying to wrap my mind around why.  Roe can be fun to RP with.  My tiny lil miqo looks like a child to most of them which makes it amusing to play the shy little cat.  So why is it?  Why no loving for the Roe?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highlanders fulfill the "big person" archetype while looking "human." There's a number of Roe out there, but for the most part the traditional archetypes get fulfilled by other races: Miqo'te play the "bestial" traits up, highlanders do the Big Smash stuff, elezen play the graceful tones better...

I like Roes, and have one as an alt, but I think they're sort of redundant unless you're wanting specifically to be roegadyn. Everyone wants a snu-snu waifu but no one wants to play them.

Think what Warren said is the thing I got to echo for the most part, however adding some personal feels to it. I'm a massive fan of roleplaying elves, so elezen obviously are my first and foremost love.

When it comes down to roes though, I find their lore a bit lacking. Highlanders have this amazing story you can work with, whereas I find it for roes a bit lacking. Elezen (especially Ishgardians) have an amazing story to work with as well. If only roes had a bit more to talk about but "Gah I got kicked out of my house as a Hellsguard/Yarrr pirate things as a Seawolf" I would be more inclined to roleplay them. That said I do have a lovely femroe alt who I enjoy roleplaying, but my lanky twig and drunken monk simply get the attention above her due to lore being more interesting to me personally.

We run in different circles, friend!

There was a dance circle a week ago that got started because the Roegadyn Linkshell had a dance party. And my free company has at least 5-6 roegadyn. Few of our neighbours are roegadyn too so the adjacent area we live in is probably lacking Elezen or hyur more than anything else.

One of the problems Roe have is their "Race Backgrounds" are either "Piratical fucker" or "Literal Mountain Man"

So you come from a race of rum sodden raiders, or huge redneck ogres from the spine.

This is an oversimplification (The Hellsguard tradition of kicking kids out/sending them out into the world has HUGE opportunities, and the Seawolves OWN Limsa)

But when it comes down to it, the Roe are the least Kawaii race in the game and the game is played by a mass of formless, loathesome weeaboo.

You'll see roe, but they get shelved into the HUGE HUGE HUGE meathead area of RP accordingly by most when played seriously.

Or filthy and normally quite disgusting fetish bait with horse-schlongs hidden behind max tit-slider settings.

There's very few "I play roe because I like Roe Lore" players.

Run for your life.

Highlanders fulfill the "big person" archetype while looking "human." There's a number of Roe out there, but for the most part the traditional archetypes get fulfilled by other races: Miqo'te play the "beastial" traits up, highlanders do the Big Smash stuff, elezen play the graceful tones better...

I like Roes, and have one as an alt, but I think they're sort of redundant unless you're wanting specifically to be roegadyn. Everyone wants a snu-snu waifu but no one wants to play them.

See, I wouldn't agree with any of that. There's nothing 'bestial' about Miqo'te; they're small, slim humans with some cat features. After the Lalafell, they're the 'cutesy' race. Highlanders may be very built, but they're simply 'athletic' at a push; they're still within realistic human proportions, so they don't fill the 'Big Smash' type.

It all comes down to one simple factor; the cultural ideal of beauty. Roegadyns' exaggerated bodily proportions place them outside of this ideal moreso than the other races, with the exception of the Lalafell. And as we can see, Lalas are rather on the rarer side, too.

Most people want to play a character they find attractive, and role-players are no exception to this. While I personally find Roegadyn hot as all hells, I accept that their physique is a bit too 'out there' for most peoples' tastes.

One of the problems Roe have is their "Race Backgrounds" are either "Piratical fucker" or "Literal Mountain Man"

So you come from a race of rum sodden raiders, or huge redneck ogres from the spine.

This is an oversimplification (The Hellsguard tradition of kicking kids out/sending them out into the world has HUGE opportunities, and the Seawolves OWN Limsa)

But when it comes down to it, the Roe are the least Kawaii race in the game and the game is played by a mass of formless, loathesome weeaboo.

You'll see roe, but they get shelved into the HUGE HUGE HUGE meathead area of RP accordingly by most.

Which can be fun to manipulate.

Feel like there's also a tendency for queer women to play Roe; as an aside from the "hurr durr meathead" stereotype.

So perhaps if folk see too few roe they don't know any queer ladies or ultratough guys.

Highlanders fulfill the "big person" archetype while looking "human." There's a number of Roe out there, but for the most part the traditional archetypes get fulfilled by other races: Miqo'te play the "beastial" traits up, highlanders do the Big Smash stuff, elezen play the graceful tones better...

See, I wouldn't agree with any of that. There's nothing 'bestial' about Miqo'te; they're small, slim humans with some cat features. After the Lalafell, they're the 'cutesy' race. Highlanders may be very built, but they're simply 'athletic' at a push; they're still within realistic human proportions, so they don't fill the 'Big Smash' type.

It all comes down to one simple factor; the cultural ideal of beauty. Roegadyns' exaggerated bodily proportions place them outside of this ideal moreso than the other races, with the exception of the Lalafell. And as we can see, Lalas are rather on the rarer side, too.

Most people want to play a character they find attractive, and role-players are no exception to this. While I personally find Roegadyn hot as all hells, I accept that their physique is a bit too 'out there' for most peoples' tastes.

Got me. I was thinking more in the "these look less-human." Think the difference between an orc and a human - still manlike but also not. Roe also fall into that category, but like you said, people might not be comfortable being that different and opt for something else. When 90% of the population is lithe catboi, Highlanders fulfill "big smash" just fine. They're tiny compared to big Roe, sure, but the comparison works fine regardless.

You'll see roe, but they get shelved into the HUGE HUGE HUGE meathead area of RP accordingly by most.

Which can be fun to manipulate.

Feel like there's also a tendency for queer women to play Roe; as an aside from the "hurr durr meathead" stereotype.

So perhaps if folk see too few roe they don't know any queer ladies or ultratough guys.

I edited the post I made because a huge part of that scene isn't a safe queer gender space at all.  It's a lot of men looking to get their creepy rocks off.

The Quicksand makes that real easy to validate.

I personally believe there's a lot of lore and RP potential for sea wolves, but hellsguard don't have much going for them other than being traveling mercenaries or Ala Mhigan refugees.  (Not lying - three hellsguard are found in Little Ala Mhigo.)

The sea wolves are so much more than pirates; they are the founders of Limsa Lominsa, the center of the world for basically the entire population of Man in Vylbrand.   The roegadyn are the race of Admiral Merlwybb, my personal favorite character in the entire game world for her complicated morality.  Sea wolves are also an excellent choice to reflect the culture war in Limsa Lominsa between former pirates and those who wish to establish order.

In short, I would love to play a roegadyn if I was creative enough to make a non-Farendaire character and willing to pay for a level one transfer.

When it comes down to roes though, I find their lore a bit lacking. Highlanders have this amazing story you can work with, whereas I find it for roes a bit lacking. Elezen (especially Ishgardians) have an amazing story to work with as well. If only roes had a bit more to talk about but "Gah I got kicked out of my house as a Hellsguard/Yarrr pirate things as a Seawolf" I would be more inclined to roleplay them. That said I do have a lovely femroe alt who I enjoy roleplaying, but my lanky twig and drunken monk simply get the attention above her due to lore being more interesting to me personally.

Highlanders have less lore than Roegadyn, considering that Roegadyn have their own racial language and explicitly-stated origins. We can't claim the story of Ala Mhigo as 'Highlander Lore' in the same sense, as Ala Mhigo was a nation state comprised of varying races. While it's probably(but still speculation) that AM's population was mostly Highlander, we have next to no lore on the race itself.

But if we're honest, the lore behind all of the races is very lacking, and it saddens me constantly.

I find it curious that there seem to be few Roe out there.  I've peeked at a few linkshells, and looked through some of the Companies from here's Lodestone listing and there are just not a lot out there.  I'm baffled by this and wonder why.  There even seem to be fewer female Roe I find odd, given how good most look.

I think the Roe have a nice aesthetic to them, both sexes.  And of course there is the allure of a massive character for melee types, or mages if you want to break type-casting.  I can understand RPing a giant might not appeal to some, but I would think more then there are out there.

So, I'm just trying to wrap my mind around why.  Roe can be fun to RP with.  My tiny lil miqo looks like a child to most of them which makes it amusing to play the shy little cat.  So why is it?  Why no loving for the Roe?

I have no idea.  I went Elezen instead of Roe for my main, but that was entirely based on my character needing to be slim and a little shady instead of a thug.  However, even the Elezen are relatively rare.  Almost everyone I see is a Hyur or a Miqo'te of some description, with a boom of Au Ra mixed in.  Elezen seem to come in next in line, followed by Lalafels and Roegadyns.  That's just my eye-check on Gilgamesh.

As to why, it must be a personal preference from our group.  We didn't have this problem with Granok or Draken on Wildstar, really, at least not to this degree.  It could be our playerbase identifies with younger looking characters, and Roegadyn all look like grown men and women compared to the more flighty Hyur and Miqo'te.  It could be our audience tends towards Japanese sensibilities, and Roegadyn are definitely not kawaii.

I mean, I prefer the darker, older, larger look myself and I definitely think that the Roe women are the best looking in the game, but then again I only went with Roegadyn for my rarely played alt.  I thought about switching to Roe with a Fantasia, but the look just didn't fit my RP style.  So who am I to say?

I'd really rather there were less Miqo'te around, though.  Orleans is getting a little sick of their ubiquity...

11896555_10153561327738698_4878568252865473573_o.jpg

Highlanders have less lore than Roegadyn, considering that Roegadyn have their own racial language and explicitly-stated origins. We can't claim the story of Ala Mhigo as 'Highlander Lore' in the same sense, as Ala Mhigo was a nation state comprised of varying races. While it's probably(but still speculation) that AM's population was mostly Highlander, we have next to no lore on the race itself.

But if we're honest, the lore behind all of the races is very lacking, and it saddens me constantly.

I do not know if I agree on that, highlanders have Ala Mhigo, their monks and all that, and plenty of quests surrounding all that. That said, yeah, I should had said Ala Mhigan, but the day I see an Ala Mhigan roe is the day I will be very confused. No one ever seems to roleplay non-highlanders from Ala Mhigo, with the exception of a few miqo'te I've seen around.

It is not much, but surely more then roes have.

I never really liked the aesthetic of them. I don't much care for the big muscular types. I've always preferred the more petite races like Midlanders and Miqo'te. There is also those weird flat noses they have. The closest I've ever come to playing a Roe was experimenting with them in the character creation screen.

Got me. I was thinking more in the "these look less-human." Think the difference between an orc and a human - still manlike but also not. Roe also fall into that category, but like you said, people might not be comfortable being that different and opt for something else. When 90% of the population is lithe catboi, Highlanders fulfill "big smash" just fine. They're tiny compared to big Roe, sure, but the comparison works fine regardless.

I wonder if the comparison works fine because of how common the Miqo'te and Hyur are compared to Elezen and Roegadyn.  Highlanders aren't really that big, but smaller people are so common that they look big by comparison.

If I didn't get attached to my character I'd be rocking a femroe. In fact, when I took time away from RP, I made a femroe appearance I loved. Unfortunately, I don't have the will, motivation, or aptitude for playing or even roleplaying more than 1 character.

Sadly I think what you're seeing is just the microcosm of races played by people. SE census has mentioned that highlanders and roegadyn are some of the least populous races. It's a bummer but there's a reason why we keep getting this different aesthetic. People aren't interested in the current ones, SE translates that into "oh they don't like it, and continues with the cute or pretty ones.

Nevermind that I think certain femroes are hot as fuck and are really pretty.

We run in different circles, friend!

There was a dance circle a week ago that got started because the Roegadyn Linkshell had a dance party. And my free company has at least 5-6 roegadyn. Few of our neighbours are roegadyn too so the adjacent area we live in is probably lacking Elezen or hyur more than anything else.

Hmm, shame I missed it.  Sounds like that would have been fun.  I'm always looking for places my fortune-telling kitty can drop in on.  He used to be nomadic, so wanderlust still takes him now and then so at times he just goes out for walks.  Frequently through residential districts.

I suppose it is perspective, but I find attractive qualities in all the races.  I recently Fantasia-ed and name changed my Midlander for a fresh start as the character deviated way to far from original concept.  Went miqo because it seemed like a fun change of pace, and the small frame worked well with the shy personality I gave him.

Don't know why, but I find Roe one of the most attractive races, really.  Maybe it's that there are indeed unique traits such as their noses.  And it can lead to fun roleplay as a good number of Roe I've RPed with have been very friendly and outgoing which can frequently trigger my kitty's shy streak.

I can understand fewer Roe, I guess I'm just a bit surprised how few.  But I do agree aesthetics play a part and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The roe are cool, but I needed an extreme disconnect between my character's nature and appearance. If i was not playing a martial character, I'd consider it... But probably just end up doing midlander or xaela in the end. Xaela are huge, and give that mid nineties anime build that went out of style years ago, that bruce lee-esque thin waist and broad chest. If I'm going to play a character with a powerful physique, it'd be female highlander or male xaela. The roe are kinda almost too much for me. That being said, as a lala I know the pain of being rare and i have a roe npc that might be fun to play sometime.

Highlanders actually are that big. As a Highlander player, I can tell you first hand that a Highlander male towers over everyone in the room. Being that a male highlander is about the same height as a female Elezen, at max sliders you're going to be barely half a head shorter than a male elezen. Roe and male Au Ra are the only big differences, and by big, I mean it isn't astronomical.

s6Eq7Qt.jpg

Highlanders actually are that big. As a Highlander player, I can tell you first hand that a Highlander male towers over everyone in the room. Being that a male highlander is about the same height as a female Elezen, at max sliders you're going to be barely half a head shorter than a male elezen. Roe and male Au Ra are the only big differences, and by big, I mean it isn't astronomical.

s6Eq7Qt.jpg

While there's only like, half a foot between Max Slider Roe Male and Max Slider Highlander Male, the Roe ends up gaining like a foot in width up and beyond the highlander.  That's a LOT of body mass and extra model.  Male Roes are built like brick shit houses.

I play War Bear, a male Hellsguard. I like to think I do a decent job with him.

Though I will say it is discouraging the amount of lewd advances I have to fight off in tells when I'm just trying to either find work or RP.

Like I play a Female Roe (real female none of this futa crap.) and a Female Highlander as well and they don't get hit on nearly as much as Bear does.

I personally like the Roe ascetic because of the fact they are humanoid but just enough off to give them their own identity. To me the way that i look at roe in this game is the same as Orcs in other and to me Orcs are probably one of the most fascinating fantasy tropes. This is because they can be as varied as humans but typically are pushed into the dumb brute catagory.