So few Roe?

I personally like the Roe ascetic because of the fact they are humanoid but just enough off to give them their own identity. To me the way that i look at roe in this game is the same as Orcs in other and to me Orcs are probably one of the most fascinating fantasy tropes. This is because they can be as varied as humans but typically are pushed into the dumb brute catagory.

Fun fact, when I had a friend doing the Free Trial of the game after coming from WoW... he went with a Roe because he wanted an Orky/bestial sort of race. He didn't stick around, though, ultimately went back to WoW to play his Orc there. It was fun while it lasted - with Gogon looking like a little Mr. Miyagi-style dude... we used to joke that his character was Jackie Chan and Gogon was Uncle.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play War Bear, a male Hellsguard. I like to think I do a decent job with him.

Though I will say it is discouraging the amount of lewd advances I have to fight off in tells when I'm just trying to either find work or RP.

Like I play a Female Roe (real female none of this futa crap.) and a Female Highlander as well and they don't get hit on nearly as much as Bear does.

That honestly surprises me.  I'm used to female characters in MMOs and chatroom getting swarmed like ants on a jam sandwich.  That whole flirt/proposition by tell never made sense to me.  It's like pointing to your crotch and saying "Yo!".  Anything that happens with my kitty happens IC.

Back on topic though, that given the conversation thus far it's curious to see the sheer volume of attention you're getting on War Bear.

It might be because of how he looks. I'm a huge fan of Barbarian and Conan looks.

ffxiv_09032015_083602_zpsxtccsyrd.png

I can see it.  Though at the same time it fits what some people say is unattractive about Roe.  Hell, I can't figure it out.

Well he is a fine looking Roe! Can you blame people? :P

On a side note, I don't think anyone has ever ICly made a move on -my- characters. This often compels me to write whirlwind romances in my characters past (cough) rather than actively have him pursue one in the present.

With that said, apparently the ultimate way to get ERP tells is to play an edgelord serial killer who loves no one. Or play a young woman.

edit: or, according to the volume of futa norns in GW2, play a female Roe.

Here. Have some femroe playing "Eyes On Me".

ffxiv_08232015_023747.png

I adore the Roegadyn so hard that it makes me squee when I see another of mah peepulz around the realm. I try not to be some sort of special standout, but my delight of the race has sort of made that automatically happen.

Also, I have to admit that I enjoy drawing attention to my character's self.

ffxiv_08072015_203451.png

I have a FemRoe bard that I like to think falls outside the norms of people who play Roes. She's not a lumberjack, nor a warrior of any real sort. She's a songstress and a drunkard and a bowmaiden and instead of doing pull-ups she prefers plastering makeup on and going to get hammered and sing bawdy love songs. 

Maybe it's not as atypical as I like to think it is, but either way, she's tons of fun to play.

Or filthy and normally quite disgusting fetish bait with horse-schlongs hidden behind max tit-slider settings.

This is a common joke I make in my FC's chat. 

"Hey Rae, why don't you find female Roe's attractive?"

"They're too tall and literally every female Roe has a penis, if you don't believe me spend two weeks in the Quicksand, you'll find all four of them, they'll all either be Dark Knights or Marauders, and all of them will be shemales, futas, or mistresses. Any others you find aren't roleplaying with you." 

Obviously a huge generalization on my part, and this might be because other people have noted their lore is lacking, but you don't see a lot of variety in Roes. Maybe its not so bad if they're not in the Quicksand setting and with their FC's, but the biggest problem I think is in a public setting like the Quicksand where you're likely to run into them, there's very little difference between one and the other. 

I don't know I feel the same way about Roes as I do about Sith in like SWTOR. For those who don't know the philosophy of the Sith, I can state it if you want, but its so extreme in the way it expects members of its order to behave that it almost always ensures if there's a bad thing to do you should do it. And while there will always be a few really good RPers who can make that compelling, a lot of people end up just becoming basically the same angsty, rage filled Sith who never does anything interesting because their order dictates they'll always do the greedy/morally lacking choice. 

Again that doesn't mean its bad or shouldn't be done, just that by in large without good effort it ends up being kinda boring.

I have a FemRoe bard that I like to think falls outside the norms of people who play Roes. She's not a lumberjack, nor a warrior of any real sort. She's a songstress and a drunkard and a bowmaiden and instead of doing pull-ups she prefers plastering makeup on and going to get hammered and sing bawdy love songs. 

Maybe it's not as atypical as I like to think it is, but either way, she's tons of fun to play.

She really needs to meet Magma Dancer, who serves up as many drinks as you can pay for.

3229339.jpg

Most of my alts, by the numbers, are Roes, in fact, and not one Futa among them.

Though I will say it is discouraging the amount of lewd advances I have to fight off in tells when I'm just trying to either find work or RP.

Like I play a Female Roe (real female none of this futa crap.) and a Female Highlander as well and they don't get hit on nearly as much as Bear does.

As someone who stalks Bear ICly for RP reasons, thank you for Rping War Bear as awesomely as you do!

As someone who stalks Bear ICly for RP reasons, thank you for Rping War Bear as awesomely as you do!

O_O I have more stalkers? Oh man! Haha! 

(Bear will be taking a small hiatus but he'll still be around here and there!)

She really needs to meet Magma Dancer, who serves up as many drinks as you can pay for.

3229339.jpg

Most of my alts, by the numbers, are Roes, in fact, and not one Futa among them.

Let's make it happen.

Most role-players - and regular players - will drift towards the conventionally attractive or 'normal' races first and foremost. It's why the majority of characters in FFXIV are either Hyur or Miqo'te and the majority of characters in WoW are either Human or Blood Elves.

I won't lie - Roegadyn don't interest me in the slightest. I'll happily interact with them but I find them to be ridiculously oversized and I tire of how often they're just played as big, dumb brutes with the players behind them claiming that they'd easily overpower anybody they came across.

Most role-players - and regular players - will drift towards the conventionally attractive or 'normal' races first and foremost. It's why the majority of characters in FFXIV are either Hyur or Miqo'te and the majority of characters in WoW are either Human or Blood Elves.

I won't lie - Roegadyn don't interest me in the slightest. I'll happily interact with them but I find them to be ridiculously oversized and I tire of how often they're just played as big, dumb brutes with the players behind them claiming that they'd easily overpower anybody they came across.

If someone's arm is the size of my entire midsection I usually give them benefit of the doubt.

I dislike any MMO race that doesn't appear to have genetic consistency between the genders. In other words, if the males and the females don't appear to have originated from the same base organism (your gender isn't determined instantly upon conception - for awhile in the womb a person hasn't developed a gender yet), then it defies logic too hard for me. And yes, I know. Fantasy setting, fireballs out of thin air, where is your logic now. I know. Nevertheless.

In FFXIV, the two that scratch this "do not want" itch for me are the Roes and the Au Ra.

I dislike any MMO race that doesn't appear to have genetic consistency between the genders. In other words, if the males and the females don't appear to have originated from the same base organism (your gender isn't determined instantly upon conception - for awhile in the womb a person hasn't developed a gender yet), then it defies logic too hard for me. And yes, I know. Fantasy setting, fireballs out of thin air, where is your logic now. I know. Nevertheless.

In FFXIV, the two that scratch this "do not want" itch for me are the Roes and the Au Ra.

Umm what? They look like they're the same race. Only the Au Ra Look drastically different. The Roegadyn look much like Human Male and Females. If you put a Body Builder Male and Female the differences in appearance are about Roegadyn proportions.

The Au Ra's character models mesh well together but damn that size difference.....

Umm what? They look like they're the same race. Only the Au Ra Look drastically different. The Roegadyn look much like Human Male and Females. If you put a Body Builder Male and Female the differences in appearance are about Roegadyn proportions.

Gonna second this. I don't see all that much disparity between male Roe and female Roe.

If someone's arm is the size of my entire midsection I usually give them benefit of the doubt.

That'd certainly apply when comparing a non-combatant with your typical Roegadyn but ultimately it's a Final Fantasy game. Real world realism isn't as important as realism subjective to the setting is. So I'm perfectly fine with the idea of a skilled Lalafell or Midlander beating up a Roegadyn because there's countless examples of stuff like that happening in-game.

That'd certainly apply when comparing a non-combatant with your typical Roegadyn but ultimately it's a Final Fantasy game. Real world realism isn't as important as realism subjective to the setting is. So I'm perfectly fine with the idea of a skilled Lalafell or Midlander beating up a Roegadyn because there's countless examples of stuff like that happening in-game.

Overpower =/= outskill. Too often people confuse literal strength for the characteristic of strength. It's plenty possible to be more skilled or practiced than someone larger than you, face them and win even if they're ten times stronger physically.

It's okay for logic to exist. Beating someone doesn't necessarily mean you're stronger. Losing doesn't mean you're weaker.

Most role-players - and regular players - will drift towards the conventionally attractive or 'normal' races first and foremost.

I think this is true of the people you interact with as well. My main used to be a femroe (futa-free :P), and it's definitely been enlightening see how very few random people were immediately willing to interact with her versus a more conventionally pretty Elezen. I know a lot of that has to do with character personalities and professions as well, but I honestly think there's a bit of a bias, subconscious or no, that players have towards characters that look 'nice' even when RPing. That's not so much true in a closed environment like an FC where you have time to get to know everyone, but when trying to meet strangers? Just like RL, it's the conventionally pretty girls who tend to get the attention first. ;)

Personally I love Roes to death. But the difficulty in playing one is definitely why I rerolled. :/

Most role-players - and regular players - will drift towards the conventionally attractive or 'normal' races first and foremost.

I think this is true of the people you interact with as well. My main used to be a femroe (futa-free :P), and it's definitely been enlightening see how very few random people were immediately willing to interact with her versus a more conventionally pretty Elezen. I know a lot of that has to do with character personalities and professions as well, but I honestly think there's a bit of a bias, subconscious or no, that players have towards characters that look 'nice' even when RPing. That's not so much true in a closed environment like an FC where you have time to get to know everyone, but when trying to meet strangers? Just like RL, it's the conventionally pretty girls who tend to get the attention first. ;)

Personally I love Roes to death. But the difficulty in playing one is definitely why I rerolled. :/

Which is a shame.  I think Xau'a would have fun with any of yours, assuming they weathered the initial storm of his shyness. :blush: