Gilgamesh RP dead in the water?

Hey guys, was just curious if Gilgamesh RP was still a thing?

I have an alt I created a long time ago, which I've seldom played, so thought I'd check out their RP scene last night. 10:00pm EST and the Quicksand was dead except for 2 non-rpers standing around afk.

So I'm not sure if I should be overjoyed that they avoid the Quicksand, or saddened because RP over there is just dead. Overall the entire server seemed to be about dead.

I had created a bunch of new alts over there this morning so when the transfer restriction are lifted I can move all my shiny new alts to Balmung.

But if RP still happens around here I may stick around for a bit and check it out.

Their website is fairly frequently used.

http://gilgamesh-rp.com/

From what I've gleaned from the few posts I have seen, Gilgamesh RP is fairly insular to the server and RP group. They do it behind closed doors, in LS chats or FC chats and not publicly in the open as the RP in Balmung is. That's not to say that they do not have a lot of RP going on, just that it's not Open like Balmung's RP is.

Note: You won't be able to transfer your characters until the 20th, all transfers have been halted as of 4.5 hours before this post.

Any of y'all have first hand experience with RP on that side?

I'm guessing it's either a tight knit community who huddle up in their little groups and accept nobody in, or just the opposite. Super friendly and inviting trying to keep someone from switching to Balmung.

I noticed the website but there seems to be gaps a few days long where nothing really goes on. Far from the site here.

Regardless, I think I may stick around over here for a bit and see what goes on.

Kinda curious to see how the "other half" live.

I transferred to Gilgamesh a while back and the RP is still very active. Pretty much the entire ward 3 of the Goblet is owned by RP FC's (although there are still more then plenty in the other two cities) so, no, there isn't a lot of "Quicksands" style RP. However, it also makes finding RP as easy as going up to a house or standing around the MB areas. Most people are happy to welcome newcomers and walk ups are fairly common. There are two server wide OOC RP shells, multiple events held weekly, and everyone I've met so far is extremely friendly. Gilgamesh has its own forums though and they generally stick to visiting that site instead. Adolar Stone and E'kayah Nunh are both great people to get in touch with though if you are looking to find a good place to start on the server. If you are interested, please feel free to check out the site or send me a /tell in game.

There's also a lot of RP going on in the open world if you're looking.  I keep up with the RPers through the website forum and through the Adventurers Guild linkshell.  I get the odd bit of RP in town, but a lot of us have some IC reasons not to show our face in Ul'dah *cough* so I can't comment on the Quicksand.

But yeah, it's out there.  Not as much as Balmung from what I gather, but still very active and entertaining.  Granted, it's a lot different than Balmung in style and very few Gilgamesh RPers are here on the RPC (for reasons it's best not to go into unless you want to see some gaping sores).

Definitely get in touch with us if you're on the server, though.  Adolar Stone is the guy I usually refer people to first and foremost.

I wouldn't say that the RP there is dead, it's just not nearly as populated with RPers as Balmung is.

With that said, Gilgamesh is probably the 2nd best server for RP especially since it's alot easier to create characters than Balmung. As other's have said, the RP is alot more private and is within other's house, FCs and LS.

I server where people RP outside the Quicksand?

*transfers all his characters over*

But no seriously, I dislike the Quicksand style RP. I do it though because it's one of the few places you can always find something. Even if it can be rather.....interesting, at times.

May have to give this a closer look and see what I can do.

I only have like 6 alts on that side so I can come up with something I'm sure!

I like going to the quicksand just because it's a good place to find pick-up RP. That, and where else is an Ala Mighan going to kick back and solve arcanimal formulae after his daily sparring session at the Pugs Guild?

A library? Feh. There's no liquor in a library.

But no seriously, I dislike the Quicksand style RP. I do it though because it's one of the few places you can always find something. Even if it can be rather.....interesting, at times.

I am not sure what the hell you are doing, but all my roleplay is outside the Quicksand. Sir, if you can only find QS RP, you are doing something terribly wrong.

I am not sure what the hell you are doing, but all my roleplay is outside the Quicksand. Sir, if you can only find QS RP, you are doing something terribly wrong.

You know, it's fine and dandy if you happen to have a group of RP friends with which you have guaranteed RP outside of the game's major hub, but a lot of people don't have that luxury or know how to find it. Perhaps instead of doing something wrong, we are doing something incredibly average. The average everyday RPer can be found in and around the Quicksand at least once a week. Why? there are tons of people there all the time, the location is pleasant and easy to get to, and it's the biggest and most well-known branch of the Adventurer's Guild.

I think in this case, the ability to stay out of the Quicksand is an exception that does not make the rule. It's a great thing, but it's not at all easy to do.

Gilgamesh is able to do it because the entire community is on roughly the same page, while on Balmung, tavern RP is extremely common and hard to avoid.

I never said I could ONLY find RP at the Quicksand, but I haven't been playing long enough to have a wide selection of friends that are readily available to RP.

That and my play time hours are from like 10pm - 4am EST.

You know, it's fine and dandy if you happen to have a group of RP friends with which you have guaranteed RP outside of the game's major hub, but a lot of people don't have that luxury or know how to find it. Perhaps instead of doing something wrong, we are doing something incredibly average. The average everyday RPer can be found in and around the Quicksand at least once a week. Why? there are tons of people there all the time, the location is pleasant and easy to get to, and it's the biggest and most well-known branch of the Adventurer's Guild.

I think in this case, the ability to stay out of the Quicksand is an exception that does not make the rule. It's a great thing, but it's not at all easy to do.

Gilgamesh is able to do it because the entire community is on roughly the same page, while on Balmung, tavern RP is extremely common and hard to avoid.

Stop hiding behind excuses; I came here myself here as well, completely alone, no one to fall back onto. I haven't touched the Quicksand for roleplay until recently because it came up IC to go there. I've gone seven months without ever looking there for roleplay. (Heck I've gone there once IC, about two/three weeks ago? But besides that. Never nada noppes been there.)

So don't tell me it isn't possible, and conjure up some pathetic excuse of "People don't have the luxury to do it", put in some effort yourself, find RPC posts for people looking for roleplay, make your own thread, PM people in game, find a RP FC, go to events. Roleplay is not going to be fed to you, you need to go out to find interaction, just as much people need to do it irl.

Just don't come up with that nonsense of an excuse. It is really not that much effort to start finding people for roleplay outside of the Quicksand. Sure if you want to roleplay there, be my guest, but to go nagging "ermgerd can't find rp outside it"? Reality check; the sole blame is you, and not that of the community.

It seems my weekly avatar change came at a good time.

I'd like to point out that the subject of this thread; according to what I'm reading in the OP, is the state of RP activity on Gilgamesh and how one might find RP there. OP is new-ish, and has become used to the Balmung standard of hub RP, so seeking to deviate from the not-so-great Quicksand RP is a new avenue.

It is a little less than helpful to run through with guns firing and accusing people whose RP is currently hub-centric of laziness and excuse-making and a little more helpful to arm them with the knowledge of -how- to break from it.

So Virella, since you are immensely successful at maintaining a healthy RP routine outside of the Quicksand, inquiring minds would like to know what your methods are exactly~

Aside from the aforementioned not being lazy, what type of Guild do you have? Is it casual or Hardcore RP? How does your guild or group of friends keep RP flowing together?

((Edit: I'd like to add this motivational jpg))

knowledge_is_power.gif~c200

It seems my weekly avatar change came at a good time.

I'd like to point out that the subject of this thread; according to what I'm reading in the OP, is the state of RP activity on Gilgamesh and how one might find RP there. OP is new-ish, and has become used to the Balmung standard of hub RP, so seeking to deviate from the not-so-great Quicksand RP is a new avenue.

It is a little less than helpful to run through with guns firing and accusing people whose RP is currently hub-centric of laziness and excuse-making and a little more helpful to arm them with the knowledge of -how- to break from it.

So Virella, since you are immensely successful at maintaining a healthy RP routine outside of the Quicksand, inquiring minds would like to know what your methods are exactly~

Aside from the aforementioned not being lazy, what type of Guild do you have? Is it casual or Hardcore RP? How does your guild or group of friends keep RP flowing together?

((Edit: I'd like to add this motivational jpg))

knowledge_is_power.gif~c200

Do you even read?

So don't tell me it isn't possible, and conjure up some pathetic excuse of "People don't have the luxury to do it", put in some effort yourself, find RPC posts for people looking for roleplay, make your own thread, PM people in game, find a RP FC, go to events.

And my FC is OOC /gasp

HOW ABOUT THAT? I DONT EVEN NEED A FC FOR ROLEPLAY ZOMG

mod note: user has been placed on post moderation for 24 hours.

And my FC is OOC /gasp

Maybe for Virella it's OOC, but it's not an Avelyn since we're in the same FC:P

I fear I gotta disappoint you there,as I knew everyone but you and a few others OOC for months already on Virella : >

And Ave left, but that's a completely different topic I don't feel that should be addressed here in the open!

And my FC is OOC /gasp

Maybe for Virella it's OOC, but it's not an Avelyn since we're in the same FC:P

I fear I gotta disappoint you there,as I knew everyone but you and a few others OOC for months already on Virella : >

And Ave left, but that's a completely different topic I don't feel that should be addressed here in the open!

Ahh I did not know that, and no problem. Didn't know you left.

Mmm, wooow.

Sharp, yes. Quite sharp. 

Anywho... I'm not familiar with the server, as I'm on Balmung, but I would still suggest posting on the Gilgamesh centered forums, they might point you a few directions that you weren't aware of. Outside of that, my best solution for finding RP on slow days is just RPing by myself and at people until someone takes the bait and engages with me. Might seem a bit silly but I've had good results!

*sigh*

I'll definitely get in touch with y'all sometime this week.

Sure, no problem!  Zip me a tell if you'd like or a PM here or on the Gilgamesh RP forums.  And if you're on Gilgamesh at all, /wave at Orleans Ignacius.  Even if we don't RP, I'm always down to help a brother or sister in need of a helping hand on content.

Mmm, wooow.

Sharp, yes. Quite sharp. 

Anywho... I'm not familiar with the server, as I'm on Balmung, but I would still suggest posting on the Gilgamesh centered forums, they might point you a few directions that you weren't aware of. Outside of that, my best solution for finding RP on slow days is just RPing by myself and at people until someone takes the bait and engages with me. Might seem a bit silly but I've had good results!

Well the original topic of this thread wasn't necessarily about finding RP as it's all over Balmung, but more the lack of rp at the Quicksand when I visited last night on Gilgamesh.

Than a distraction of Quicksand vs Non-Quicksand RP came about.

[[steps in with the mod hat]]

Yes, let's please try to keep the thread on-topic, not make jabs at each other, and keep it calm.

Users who find themselves unable to self-moderate will find themselves moderated.

Users are more than welcome to make a new thread about finding RP outside of hubs/towns/taverns. This thread is about finding/discovering RP [or the perceived lack of RP] on Gilgamesh.

[[takes off the mod hat and steps out]]