Blind Meeting - October 2015

[align=center]QetlYfE.png[/align]

So it's back for this month !

What is it ?

A blind meeting is a rendezvous without knowing beforehand who you will meet and this exactly what this event is about : You will fill out a form and you will receive a date, a place, the initials of your RP partner(s) and meet them that way.

It is NOT some sort of speed dating. You will meet only a few people and have as much time you want to RP together.

The dates will be mostly focused on meeting some new people, romance can happen but I won't straight split the groups between romance and friendship. Instead you will indicate if your character is open for romance, if I find a good match I will group you with them, if not, it will be for another time :) .

I do NOT ask what race your character might be romantically attracted this month to test how it goes. Again keep in mind that it's not because two characters are open for romance that romance has to happen.

Who can participate ?

Literally anybody who wants to meet some new people. There are some things you should consider beforehand :

- If you need a reason to be at this place at this time, you will have to think of it beforehand and discuss about it with your RP partner(s), it's your own responsibility to come well prepared :) .

- I ask you to be open minded, whether it’s about the place where you'll meet, your RP partner(s)' reason to be there, your RP partner(s)' demeanor, etc.

When :

The 25th of October : 2PM / 5PM / 8PM EDT.

As I will have to organize the date and to send a bunch of mail, the registration will stop the 21th of October.

How :

[align=center]> Fill this form to participate <[/align]

Participants and waiting list :

To not overwhelm myself with the organization, the first 30 people registering for the event will be sure to be a part of it. I might add some more groups depending on how many time it takes me to organize the groups and how many people registered.

Rather than moving people around as I had to do the first time, every time there is a cancellation, I'll pick someone from the waiting list to fill the group.

So just because you are on the waiting list doesn’t mean that you won't have any chance to be a part of the event. I also ask that if you’re not sure of your schedule, that you don’t register right away just to make sure you will have a place in the main group.

Disclaimer :

- None of the informations you will give in the form will ever be disclosed.

- While I'm the one who will organize your date, I'm not responsible of anything which can happen during it.

- I ask you to be responsible and to contact me if you cannot go to your date : Think of your RP partner who will wait for you for nothing if you don't say anything.

- In the same way, I ask you to be there on time at your date.

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTION, I WROTE A FAQ, SO CHECK HERE IF YOU HAVE YOUR ANSWER BEFORE ASKING.

thanks again to Xen for the banner !

Hmm, might sign Xau'a up for this, but slightly disappointed that we can no longer specify which races we're attracted to.  Xau'a and I would have no qualms with anybody, but there are definitely preferences.  Oh well.  Either way I'll check my (and Xau'as) schedule and see if I can do this.

Hmm, might sign Xau'a up for this, but slightly disappointed that we can no longer specify which races we're attracted to.  Xau'a and I would have no qualms with anybody, but there are definitely preferences.  Oh well.  Either way I'll check my (and Xau'as) schedule and see if I can do this.

I'm sorry you're disappointed. I'm alone to manage all this and settling both the race and gender for each date was definitely time consuming as even with fewer questions last time, it took me a whole afternoon to form all the groups to match the race, the gender and the personality together, then to send the mails and finally to take care of all the people dropping and matching some new groups (That without counting the time I needed to redo the form in a lighter way).

As it's quite time consuming but I would like to continue organizing those events, I took the decision to drop one parameter (which is the race) rather than dropping the event because I would lack of time.

However, I remind you that the event is a blind meeting and not a romantical matchmaker event (otherwise I would have name this event blind dating). I only try to help a bit on that side, but it's definitely not its primary intent.

Participate, have fun, meet some new people you can RP with, that's the most important in that event, romance is only a possible bonus, nothing more ,) .

Cheers!

Here's looking to a fun time again.  Also, how would one go about helping with this event?  I've taken part, and would like to do what I can to give back.

I don't know how exactly, what is taking me some time now is to form the groups and send the emails.

I have a model for the emails so it indeed goes faster than the first time I organized that event. Aside something which would pre format the email so I won't check 20 times to make sure I didn't do any mistakes, there is nothing much to do on that side.

For the group it's a bit of the same problem, if we're more than one doing the groups, I fear that some person might be grouped twice and then it will be even more a mess to correct.

I honestly have no idea, if you have some don't hesitate to share ♥ !

I voluntarily have a waiting list so I can send people as a replacement if there are some people missing and there always are some people missing (last time 10 people didn't come out of the 36 I sent in a date).

That's why I changed the form this time to make sure that some people will log at the hour of the event and I'll be able to send them right away as a replacement.

Plus passing off the waiting list would not lower my work and the time I already need to organize the rest, it would just not leave any possibility the day of the event to send some people off and might just make the whole event day more complicated to me as more people and groups to manage.

Though ! I admit that one of the most stressful and complicated part for me is precisely to stay up and online the day of the event to make sure everybody is there and send the new people as a replacement. The 8PM EDT being the most complicated for me as it's 2AM for me and I'm sometimes extremely tired and only dreaming of my bed. So maybe there is something to do for this part of the event ?

I got stood up, but I still appreciate you taking the time to set all this up, Ilwe'ran. I had the option to join another group but opted to just get some other stuff done instead since my lazy Sunday was getting a little too lazy anyway. :b

I actually have an idea to make these a little easier to organize in the future if you keep doing them.

I'm glad you guys had some fun and nope, for now I'm going to take a break. Aside the fact that it takes some time to organize it, it's also disheartening to see that some people just don't come and don't contact me before, during or even after the event to at least apologize.

This is why there are some long periods without any event on the RPC and why so many people who organize them stop : As soon as you have a part of the people who committed to come don't show up and don't even bother contacting you, it's not fun anymore and when this happens 3 events in a row, you actually begin to wonder why you even bother to prepare something and spend a lot of time on this if it's to have to deal with that sort of attitude. Life is already complicated enough, you deal with a lot of crap every day so why bothering with that when you're in game ?

People need to learn that there are real people behind the screen. That they deserve respect and politeness. When I see that yesterday 7/33 people didn't come and didn't contact me, I find that both disheartening and enervating : They took the place of 7 others who were in waiting list and couldn't join the event and I find it rude. But when you add to this that on the 2PM meetings, 4 people were missing and out of the 8 people in the waiting list who were supposed to be open for a last minute replacement, only 1 was online and couldn't go because they committed to something else. You just want to say stop.

I remember last year when a similar discussion happened. It was after an event Dogberry organized and I fully understand him : People were complaining that there weren't enough events, thus some others went out of their way to organize some. As a result, those events were almost ignored or those committing to go didn't show up and didn't contact the persons organizing them.

Let me put it simply : If you want some events to happen, it's not only the organizers responsibility, it's also the people who are supposed to come who have to do their part. Otherwise, why bothering preparing something if you already know that there will be a part of the people missing and you cannot even replace them by others ? And when the majority of mails you receive are actually complaints about how the event is organized you just want to say "okay, bye, just do it yourself", even more when you take the time to answer and those people don't even bother to contact you back (and sometimes don't even come to their meeting).

Don't misunderstand me, I make the difference between suggestions and complaints, I did consider all the suggestions and used some of them. I even contacted some of the people regarding those said suggestions. But some people are just straight complaining for a reason or another without suggesting anything or even trying to understand some of the choices which have been made regarding the form, the event or even their partner.

It's true that those events makes some people happy and I still think that it's a good idea to make possible some meetings between some people who don't know each others. But for that, those willing to participate have to actually behave properly, otherwise it will systematically stop at some point.

For all those reasons, I'm going to take a break for now and take care of myself ♥ . It has been really nice to organize this for those who actually came and enjoyed it, I might do it again after a break, maybe I'll do it differently, I don't know for now, I'll see once I'll be motivated again :) .

Ilwe'ran, I can honestly say that, from reading your thoughts and words, I am with a heavy heart at the thought that you feel, in a way, unappreciated for the time and work that you put into hosting this event.

But I didn't start writing to pity you, but to encourage you. It is true that some people will grip, moan, and complain about every little detail, but they aren't everyone. I personally really enjoyed the event and I've met someone that I will most likely continue to roleplay with for a very long time. I think that even us, the ones that did show up, owe you a great deal of thanks and we should voice that more often. It is far too common for people to enjoy an event and then say nothing about it and while I don't believe we are wrong for not saying something I still believe that we should give credit where it is due; it's the least we can do. I've been there and I know how discouraging it is, but if only one good thing comes out of it you have still affected two people's lives with positivity. I created Wayfarers based on this thought. I don't expect it to be anything large or important, but if I can help a handful of people then it's more than doing nothing. We need people like you to do these things, to bear the weight of others depending on you and you handled it very well and professionally.

All in all, after all my ramblings, I just want to say thank you for a wonderful event. I'll be looking forward to your next one once you take a well deserved break. Take care, and I hope that this provides at least a little bit of hope and fulfillment to your day. :)

I still really appreciate what you do for the community, Ilwe'ran. The reminders of upcoming events in Open RP is just as simple as making a macro, I know, but it's great that somebody keeps track of these things and nudges people.

It was sweet that you actually checked where I was to see that I was alone in the area, too. I was stalling for time on the off chance the person was running late, and I didn't want to message you at exactly 2:15 going yo what gives.

Running events is stressful work, I know from doing it way back in the day, and I know I'm not in the right head space to do it right now myself, either. I don't blame you for taking a break. With the holidays coming up things would probably only get messier, anyway, so take all the time you need.

I remain a big fan of you and the things you do. :moogle:

Yes, I've enjoyed the two events I was able to participate in. Its too bad you are taking a break from this, since its one of the few ways I'm able to try and rp with others in a different envirement not surrounded by tons of others trying to rp as well.

Do hope you will take up the task again next year.

Hello... I'm rather new to the Roleplaying portion of FF14(Though i know perfectly well how to RP). I've been mostly going to the Quicksand in Ul 'Dah to meet people but not having much luck since i feel like the only one who doesn't know anyone there. I'd like to be part of the next blind meeting if possible please... i've noticed I missed the one that was on the 25th.

Ilwe'ran, I can honestly say that, from reading your thoughts and words, I am with a heavy heart at the thought that you feel, in a way, unappreciated for the time and work that you put into hosting this event.

But I didn't start writing to pity you, but to encourage you. It is true that some people will grip, moan, and complain about every little detail, but they aren't everyone. I personally really enjoyed the event and I've met someone that I will most likely continue to roleplay with for a very long time. I think that even us, the ones that did show up, owe you a great deal of thanks and we should voice that more often. It is far too common for people to enjoy an event and then say nothing about it and while I don't believe we are wrong for not saying something I still believe that we should give credit where it is due; it's the least we can do. I've been there and I know how discouraging it is, but if only one good thing comes out of it you have still affected two people's lives with positivity. I created Wayfarers based on this thought. I don't expect it to be anything large or important, but if I can help a handful of people then it's more than doing nothing. We need people like you to do these things, to bear the weight of others depending on you and you handled it very well and professionally.

All in all, after all my ramblings, I just want to say thank you for a wonderful event. I'll be looking forward to your next one once you take a well deserved break. Take care, and I hope that this provides at least a little bit of hope and fulfillment to your day. :)

Everything I wanted to say was said here. *Hugs* You did great Ilwe. :)

Hello... I'm rather new to the Roleplaying portion of FF14(Though i know perfectly well how to RP). I've been mostly going to the Quicksand in Ul 'Dah to meet people but not having much luck since i feel like the only one who doesn't know anyone there. I'd like to be part of the next blind meeting if possible please... i've noticed I missed the one that was on the 25th.

I'm afraid there won't be another one of these events for a while. The host is taking a break.

Man that's sad to hear, though I totally get it.

I've wanted to attend this for quite awhile but the times just didn't line up.

Seemed like it would be boatloads of fun.

And though this may be RP, you're still dealing with real people behind these characters. Not everyone is considerate, or thankful, or reliable. It's just the way human nature has evolved I guess. Shameful.

Anyways.....

Thanks for adding to the RP community as much as you did.:thumbsup: