Potentially Lorebreaking Names

Pardon the potentially unwarranted reply but if your name belongs to a previous FF character or hereby claim relation to canon characters, you're in for a bad time.

I'm looking at all you damn Highwinds and Strifes.

In regards to big fat grey area that is Midlander naming, I can deduce it to this:

Mainland, non-immigrant midlander names are typically British, a name and the family trade, typically. But this is more often than not overlooked and honestly irrelevant.

Doman Midlanders, from what I know from the NIN questline and some of the side characters in MSQ go by Japanese names followed by some baller honorific, I can't tell you if it's their title or last name, though (i.e Yugiri Mistwalker, Oboro Moonrise, Tsubame Sunrise, Karasu Redbeak).

Highlanders are Germanic in nature, if this person sounds like they drink bourbon and have facial hair with properties similar to sandpaper or belong to a viking metal band (but not too viking, that's Sea Wolf turf), they're a good Highlander in terms of conventions. Here's your Brynhildas, Armsbreakers, Stonesunders, Sturmstagens, et cetera.

Pardon the potentially unwarranted reply but if your name belongs to a previous FF character or hereby claim relation to canon characters, you're in for a bad time.

I'm looking at all you damn Highwinds and Strifes.

What ticks me off is that it's only Highwinds and Strifes.

If I saw Branfords or Beoulves around I'd let it slide (and that's totally not me being biased because I like FF6 and FFT).

Fine, the Nuhn is the top cat in any particular breeding group

My point about his statement being incorrect still stands, since the settlement in the Sagolii seems to be comprised of one singular breeding group.

Maybe I don't understand, but how is it incorrect?

I said a it isn't necessarily standard that a Nuhn is the leader of a tribe.

Reference: "Nunh status does not equate to leadership within a tribe, and in fact, very few nunh ever become leaders."

Citation: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Miqo'te/Naming'>http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Miqo'te/Naming

The population in the Sagolii desert is a tribe. See here under home areas: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Miqo'te

Sorry about the confusion. :D

I think this is mainly a case of miscommunication. I took your statement to mean the alpha males of the tribe are not always named Nuhns.

I think this is mainly a case of miscommunication. I took your statement to mean the alpha males of the tribe are not always named Nuhns.

It's okay, I was like ahh I just started here and I'm derailing threads already. I'll post these and not say anymore haha..

:lol:

EDIT: Sorry mod I didn't catch your posts. You can delete mine!

Like was mentioned before, not everyone on this server roleplays. It's just one of the servers that people decided was a roleplay server, unofficially.

I try not to be a person who snubs someone just because their name isn't to lore standards. Heck look at mine. It's still like this because I tried to change my name and couldn't change it to Milana Lana. So IC her name is Milana Lana.

Also it should be put into consideration that inter-racial couples, and children exist and parents of the child could give it a naming convention of one, and the other.

Clanless Miqo'te who have left their tribes, are pretty much free to rename themselves as they wish. As are any race I feel.

So, the character I intend to roleplay with is a bit of an oddity concerning her name.

She's a highlander Hyur named Chouwa Morrison. The reason for the obviously Doman given name is due to the fact her mother was Doman and wanted to honor her heritage. Chouwa herself does acknowledge the fact her name is strange, but also admits she likes it.

The surname however doesn't comply with Highlander naming conventions, sounding more like a Midlander's surname. My best guess is that her Highlander side of the family's always been a bit odd with their surnames.

None the less, I wanted to know if anyone would have any issues concerning her names.

You're fine. I'm sure there were plenty of Highlanders that adopted more Midlander last names after the Fall of Ala Mhigo as to not seem like a refugee. I'm sure there was and may still be some prejudices against Highlanders as Ala Mhigo was an aggressive nation at one point in time. So that would further enforce maybe taking a more unconventional last name to find work easier.

As an aside, when you first register with the adventurer's guild you're asked what name you're putting down. I can't remember if it was in 1.0, 2.0 or both, but I remember Momodi specifically alluding to the fact that lots of people use aliases when signing up for the history books. It's a pretty easy handwave, and one I have Warren rely on a lot: He knows so many people using aliases he just assumes anything that doesn't sound "standard" is an alias.

My Hellsguard male I named Hunfrid Silentstone.

A bit lore bending, but I think I did good when I didn't know as much about naming.

I can always say Hunfrid is easier to say in a pinch than Silentstone.

Of course, with silly players, his name got shortened to Hun, Hunbun and Hunybunny.