Potentially Lorebreaking Names

So, the character I intend to roleplay with is a bit of an oddity concerning her name.

She's a highlander Hyur named Chouwa Morrison. The reason for the obviously Doman given name is due to the fact her mother was Doman and wanted to honor her heritage. Chouwa herself does acknowledge the fact her name is strange, but also admits she likes it.

The surname however doesn't comply with Highlander naming conventions, sounding more like a Midlander's surname. My best guess is that her Highlander side of the family's always been a bit odd with their surnames.

None the less, I wanted to know if anyone would have any issues concerning her names.

So, the character I intend to roleplay with is a bit of an oddity concerning her name.

She's a highlander Hyur named Chouwa Morrison. The reason for the obviously Doman given name is due to the fact her mother was Doman and wanted to honor her heritage. Chouwa herself does acknowledge the fact her name is strange, but also admits she likes it.

The surname however doesn't comply with Highlander naming conventions, sounding more like a Midlander's surname. My best guess is that her Highlander side of the family's always been a bit odd with their surnames.

None the less, I wanted to know if anyone would have any issues concerning her names.

I have every issue with this, re: her name.

200_s.gif

No I kid. Roughly 50% of the rper population uses lore-breaking names. Hell I use lore-breaking names. It's really not a big deal. If people don't want to rp with you because your character's name is strange, well, they can go off and let their jimmies be rustled in their own corner while you go off and have fun. It ain't that serious.

For the most part, I've seen the community (whether on RPC or not) be pretty friendly abouts names. Having an explanation does help though! I've found the community to be pretty understanding.

Agreed. There isn't anything lore friendly about Melodia D'janz but no one's ever given me a hard time. In fact most people will weave it into the rp, asking about the name. :)

Seriously, who gets upset with names.. imagine that in RL?

Only thing to avoid is, in priority order

1. Names done to be offensive
  2. Clearly stupid names
  3. Clearly non RP names
  4. Famous OOC names
  5. Famous fantasy names & especially anyone called Drizzt
  6. Famous IC name
  7. Names from back in lore (especially if you steal the plot)
  8. Names with daft characters I can't type
  9. Names that don't fit lore (like female Nuhn)
  10. Anyone called Nebula
  11. Names that are a squiggle
  12. Names that have little hearts for dots over "i"
  13. Writing right to left (yes you siroD)
  14. Any honorific (Lord, Magistrate, Shopkeeper)
  15. Names with no vowels
  16. ... and so on 

1. Names that don't fit lore (like female Nuhn)

Which I've seen exactly that before.

How do you know that person wasn't a catboy then decided they needed maximum nyan and Fantasia'd but couldn't afford a name change?

I've seen plenty of Au Ra named Tia and Nuhn.

1. Names that don't fit lore (like female Nuhn)

Which I've seen exactly that before.

How do you know that person wasn't a catboy then decided they needed maximum nyan and Fantasia'd but couldn't afford a name change?

I've seen plenty of Au Ra named Tia and Nuhn.

Well their first mistake WAS BEING a catboy to begin with....

Her last name is more Midlander than Highlander.

Midlander names resemble mundane last names like Smith.

Highlander names resemble traits and actions. Wyldhart. Armstrong. Gunner. Brawley. Willstone.

This is actually a very complicated and contentious matter!  I've been involved in a few very interesting conversations about Highlander names.  For instance: are the trait-based names inherited or are they strictly earned?

But, looking at the names provided by the wiki:

Male

• Aethlwold Hunter
  • Hunfrid Longblade
  • Lewenhart Boarsblood

Female

• Sigberta Strong
  • Orieldis Blacke
  • Bergard Thorne

Notice the female names?  While "Strong" could be an epithet, it is also a common English family name, as are Blacke and Thorne.  None of these match the epithetic nature of the masculine names.   Why?  We really don't know (though I do have a favorite theory).

What we do know is that "Morrison" fits this pattern very well.  It is not a "Midlander" name, it is a Hyur name, perfectly well-suited to both.

A female could make the decision to call themselves a Nuhn, or even see themselves as one.

My character often introduces herself to others as the 'Empress of Garlemald'.  Just like modern day people can refer to themselves how they wish.

I can very much see a particularly aggressive Seeker woman calling herself a Nunh, even though she couldn't hold the actual position.

Well their first mistake WAS BEING a catboy to begin with....

I Resent said statement! :P

But speaking to Hikaru's question, there is always room for creativity. As an example, I created Tonton Tinyblade before consulting naming conventions for Seekers of the Sun. However, there is a Miqo'te seeker population that immigrated to Lominsa and does not hold to their traditions as much as say the Sagolii population. Even the Sagolii tribe have a Nunh as a leader, which isn't necessarily standard in terms of naming.

That deviancy inspired a whole backstory on Tonton, his move to Lominsa, his background as L'Sta Tia of the viper tribe, and his eventual adoption of a Lominsan nickname. I would say you could work this naming thing to your advantage.

Even the Sagolii tribe have a Nunh as a leader, which isn't necessarily standard in terms of naming.

The Nuhn is the alpha male of any given tribe. They might not always be the political leader, but they are the top cat in terms of breeding and status.

Edited to throw that quote in there, which was supposed to be there to begin with.

The Nuhn is the alpha male of any given tribe. They might not always be the political leader, but they are the top cat in terms of breeding and status.

This isn't actually accurate. They're the top male in a 'Breeding group' A given tribe usually has multiple breeding groups, with Females moving to the Nunh they prefer.

So it's not like one miqo'te is the strongest and everyone has to sex them. Also Tias can simply start their own breeding group, instead of challenging a Nunh for an existing one. However they would need females that wished to join them. 

The implication in the Lore is that seeker females don't do this often, as they respect the strength of someone who can take over an established breeding group more.

Err....  so we can talk about the naming convention of every race but sunseekers?

How are we supposed to discuss the potential lorebreaking nature of a name, if we can't talk about the naming conventions themselves @_@?

There's a reason they're called naming CONVENTIONS rather than IRON CLAD NAMING RULES, JAIL IF BROKEN. They're guidelines to the 'usual'. For a character to have a name outside of naming conventions is not lorebreaking. The character simply has a strange or unconventional name. Which honestly is fine, and can serve as a conversation piece during roleplay at times. 

I can have a Roegadyn named I'lberd Nunh, and that's not lorebreaking in the least. It is simply in the world a name that does not fit the norm of what a Roegadyn is named. Of course, there are steps I can take to explain this if I so choose ("HE WAS ADOPTED BY A MIQO'TE WHO WANTED HIM TO BE A GREAT MAN." "B-Berrod please..."). Or, I can simply decline explaining it at all in favor of keeping the mystery alive. Anyone who has a problem with it can perhaps take some time to reflect on why they're getting so fanny flustered over a simple, unconventional name. 

Go forth with your name! You may choose to explain it, you may choose not to, it's all up to you! It's a big world out there filled with people who do unusual stuff, and a strange name is the least of your worries! Have at, and have fun.

The point is, I think, that the OP's character has a name that is not really all that lorebreaking at all. In fact, there's explanation for it - readily offered - that adds flavor to both the character's history and for possible interactions when people ask about the name. That, in my book, is the way to go about it. As long as you can answer the 'Why?', you're set.

"Why do you have a Doman name?" One of my parents is Doman.

"Why are you called 'Tonton' rather than W'hatever?" It's a nickname.

Really, it's rather easy to explain away a lot of names - especially since the opening cutscene at the Adventurer's Guilds makes mention of other adventurers using monikers instead of their actual names. So it could be their actual name, a nickname, a false name, a title... any number of things. It's just all in how you present it.

Err....  so we can talk about the naming convention of every race but sunseekers?

How are we supposed to discuss the potential lorebreaking nature of a name, if we can't talk about the naming conventions themselves @_@?

This is the Character Workshop forum, for well...characters. The thread should be focused around the Original Poster and their character.

For more generic conversation on Naming Conventions, I would recommend the FFXIV Discussion forum, for general lore discussion.

This is just my take on this, but...

con·ven·tion

kənˈven(t)SH(ə)n/

noun

1. a way in which something is usually done, especially within a particular area or activity.
    "the woman who overturned so many conventions of children's literature"

Key word, there: Usually

There is no such thing as a lore-breaking name, just a typical way within the lore of naming people for each species. That said, try and give a reason for a differentiation. Maybe your character is a Miqo'te and is like mine, Edgar, who was raised by Hyur. Maybe your character is a Roegadyn that grew up alone and had parents who died before giving a name. Maybe your character and their family didn't give a crap for conventional naming. 

If the reasoning is good, most people won't take issue. And the people that do, I wouldn't bother roleplaying with.