Orchestrion Canonocity: The New Argument

Assume all the metal is imported from Garlemald.

Most of the 'metal' tracks are Primal tracks, though. Garlemald loathes anything to do with Primals.

Did you.... did you just take that seriously.... It wasn't serious, but if you want I can make it serious.

The metal is imported from Garlemald. Yes, they're all Primal themes. Think about the RL subject matter for a lot of metal.

I'll wait. You can get back to me on that.

Hail Ifrit

If metal is canon, then guitars are canon. Which means magitech instruments will be canon, because the metal has to be played somehow, and that means instruments capable of making sweet, sweet metal. I am suddenly okay with this. /hides the electric steampunk guitar.

Given the existence of machinistry and magitek generally, it's entirely possible such things exist. They'd be rare, sure, and likely curiosities for the rich, but let's consider that calliopes hail from 1855, pipe organs hail from ancient Greece, and for all of its Middle Ages characteristics, the world of XIV has a lot of magical conveniences (ceiling fans, magical lighting, oh, and airships). Aetherotransformers that use lightning-aspected aether to produce sound are an entirely plausible offshoot of machinistry, IMO.

Sometimes I think people forget that Eorzea isn't (insert standard high fantasy setting here). It's Final Fantasy, which has its own tropes and characteristics. It's a blend of high tech and low tech with magic advancing certain technologies faster than others. Our characters fly around on airships, and yet they hit people with swords. Goblins are building giant machines of war that fire laser beams, and yet our characters ride horsebirds. FF is its own kind of thing. :)

I'd like to say it is IC. I see no reason why the item and the music couldn't be. Sure some of the metal tracks might be a bit harder to justify because of the music genre and the lyrics that refer to the primals.

It might not count for much of an argument, but just because they are primal related is not necessarily wrong if we take a look at real life music. We have real metal about religions, the devil, disease, wars and other things (such as glorious Paladins).

If you look at it a certain way it doesn't seem all that different from writing a song about a primal or otherwise a dangerous and unpleasant place.

That all being said, I would probably not so easily say the music is related to primals, despite acknowledging the Orchestrion itself as a real thing.

I don't know why this is still questioned.

The level 50 to 60 GSM quests deal almost exclusively with you crafting a music box for a client. That's in-game lore. That's not something from a Hildibrand quest, it's not funny mail text referencing prior Final Fantasy titles, it's not "you shell out gil for aetheryte expenses even when you teleport to Anyx Trine".

There are canonical music boxes crafted by goldsmiths in Ul'dah.

Audio recording and playback exist, canonically, within the FFXIV 'verse. Within Eorzea, even, without any magitek or Garlean or Allagan technology.

...now, if the question is, "are the exact tracks, the ones we get to play as background music via the Orchestrion, canon?" then the answer is probably "no" with a possible "unless they are dissociated in-universe from their corresponding places and events out-of-universe" caveat.

Exceptions goes to silliness such as PA PAYA, PA PA PA PA PA PA PA PA PAYA~

Since a lot of these tracks are coming from faded, worn scrolls that are being refurbished by crafters then I guess it could be plausible? Seems to me it is just "Hey I found an old music thing. Put it through your music box and see what it plays!" Audio playback devices were being made already. The Orchestron could just be a device made to play back this dusty old shit people keep finding around Eorzea.

Who knows what period they come from. Though I imagine Allagans were into some industrial.

...now, if the question is, "are the exact tracks, the ones we get to play as background music via the Orchestrion, canon?" then the answer is probably "no" with a possible "unless they are dissociated in-universe from their corresponding places and events out-of-universe" caveat.

Exceptions goes to silliness such as PA PAYA, PA PA PA PA PA PA PA PA PAYA~

I blame that atrocity on the Homunculi. That is the only track I can genuinely think of that they could have composed and has this universal appeal enough to make them as popular as they are said to be in the game.

It's not too bad in a small house, depending on where you put it. We have ours at the bottom of the stairs facing upwards so it fills the whole house pretty effectively. I feel for people with large houses, though...

I have one chair in front of the fireplace where I can hear the music well through both sides of my headphones. Aaaaayy... /whimper

• 5 weeks later...

They talk about orchestions and orchestrion rolls in Lorecast 7!! I thought of this thread and thought it was probably relevant.

How do Orchestrion rolls work? Rather, what are these songs to the adventurers within the game? Do they hear the music during their fight with the Primals for example? Who is playing or singing it? Is this the Minstrel’s doing?

KF: You know how they work mechanically, it’s kind of like a player piano; that’s why they have the rolls. You’ve got the parchment with the holes punched it in and you put it into the orchestrion and it plays the song based on where it hits the holes. Are we hearing them in battles? Nooo. It’s not some special effect of the Echo. Lore-wise, there are bards and minstrels and there is this wandering composer. He hears these stories about adventurers and their grand battles and he composes music. The music that he thinks up is on the orchestrion roll.

F: And they just happen to turn up in a treasure chest in the Navel.

KF: A lot of people like music in Eorzea. Not everyone has a place to put their orchestrion rolls. So it’s like, “I’ll just put it in this chest here! It’ll be safe!” and then some adventurer comes along and steals it and it’s like, “Oh, no, where’s my orchestrion roll!?” “I tilled fields for three seasons to afford that!”

A: That’s what I joke about whenever armor is moved around. How does Darklight end up in this dungeon!? You know, people bought it from Rowena… and then they went out to raid these dungeons and… they died.

KF: And then a monsters comes along like “Grrr. Adventurers leaving crap all over my dungeon…”

F: “I’ll just collect it in this neat little pile, put it in this chest, clean up a bit.”

I think it can be quite easily explained as a musical interpretation of events that transpired. It happens all the time in the real world, after something major occurs. For example, you got all these songs popping up about starting revolutions when the revolution in Egypt occurred, and shortly thereafter when America was teetering on the brink of a possible revolution, as well. It got close enough that there were meetings with upper-level military officials to discuss what would happen if that did go down. Then, all these songs about it popped up. Think of it like that. The WoL defeats titan? The magitek nerds make a tribute to what they think slaying titan might sound like, from an artistic approach. Consider the songs as musical tales of exploits done by the WoL and other famous heroes. This has been a constant theme throughout the history of music. It's typically inspired by current events. And remember... This game is far more steampunk than it is fantasy. So, some of the music you may think is out of place cuz it doesn't suit a Tolkien world could very well exist.

I think it can be quite easily explained as a musical interpretation of events that transpired. It happens all the time in the real world, after something major occurs. For example, you got all these songs popping up about starting revolutions when the revolution in Egypt occurred, and shortly thereafter when America was teetering on the brink of a possible revolution, as well. It got close enough that there were meetings with upper-level military officials to discuss what would happen if that did go down. Then, all these songs about it popped up. Think of it like that. The WoL defeats titan? The magitek nerds make a tribute to what they think slaying titan might sound like, from an artistic approach. Consider the songs as musical tales of exploits done by the WoL and other famous heroes. This has been a constant theme throughout the history of music. It's typically inspired by current events. And remember... This game is far more steampunk than it is fantasy. So, some of the music you may think is out of place cuz it doesn't suit a Tolkien world could very well exist.

No need for that, we already have a derp that loves reinterpreting the WoL's adventures so that they sound ten times more badass (and difficult).

No need for that, we already have a derp that loves reinterpreting the WoL's adventures so that they sound ten times more badass (and difficult).

aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg

I mean, that's exactly what Koji-Fox described anyway.