PC Gaming headset recommendations?

Hey ya'll, looking to purchase a headset for my PC. Preferably something that is easily picked up from say Best Buy or HHGreg or similar. Budget is about $100.00 - $150.00

As far as what I'm looking for, I don't really care about weight or comfort since I've never had a problem with either of those issues on multiple uses of various headsets. Also color is not important, although props if it's Blue to match my PC! I also do prefer wired as for some reason wireless never really seem to work that great for me.

One feature that is a must however, is separate in-game/mic volume control, which I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure is now standard for a gaming headset. Also one feature I'd really really like to have is separate bass/treble control.

So that's it! What do you have or recommend?!

These are what I'm currently looking at.

Opinions?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-g933-artemis-spectrum-gaming-headset-black/4384801.p?id=1219740713755&skuId=4384801

One feature that is a must however, is separate in-game/mic volume control, which I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure is now standard for a gaming headset. Also one feature I'd really really like to have is separate bass/treble control.

I may be wrong, but you may have to also state that you would prefer that the headset does not use USB. It may just be the way FFXIV handles sound, of which I forget the technical terms.

Gaming headsets are a sham, every one of them. 

You can buy a nice set of headphones and a mod mic for a fraction of what you'd be paying for the same quality in headset.

This. I've been using cheapo 30 dollar sets from Amazon and it works just fine for online play. I wouldn't want to do any kind of recording on it, but it's more than enough for gaming and chatting. I can't hit up Amazon at work but just look for "headphones with microphone" and look for something with inline control. My current piece has lasted me over a year with no trouble at all.

Probably in the minority here, but I'd almost rather pay double the price for the convenience to not have to deal with all that and just buy a convenient little overpriced package lol

Or.....I have thought about buying one of those $50.00 universal headsets that work with pc/consoles.

I'm really happy with my Steelseries one. Mostly because back in the days it was great for blocking out noise surrounding me, the sound quality is nice, and it didn't break on me yet whereas other headsets did already in the past. I could recommend those, but they tend to be a bit pricey (I was lucky a friend of mine worked at a PC store and I could get one with massive discount at the time).

If you end up getting a usb headset, just know that FFXIV doesn't let your arbitrarily plug in your headset. If you don't use an audio program like voicemeter, FFXIV will require you to relogin. If you start without headphones, start the game, plug in your headphones, the sound will still be from speakers and not in your headphones. If you start with headphones and end up taking out during play you will need to relogin for the sound to switch over.

If you end up getting a usb headset, just know that FFXIV doesn't let your arbitrarily plug in your headset. If you don't use an audio program like voicemeter, FFXIV will require you to relogin. If you start without headphones, start the game, plug in your headphones, the sound will still be from speakers and not in your headphones. If you start with headphones and end up taking out during play you will need to relogin for the sound to switch over.

Wow, I didn't know that, thanks for the heads up!

Yeah I found that out when I got a Logitech G930 after having had one that was wired with a 3.5mm jack. It was a real pain until I was referred to Voicemeter and got that working.

Though, I think Virella's suggestion about a SteelSeries headset isn't bad. I've seen a few gamers on Twitch like the Siberia line. I'd consider one of those if I wasn't still using my Logitech headset.

It's more than just USB headset. FFXIV does not handle audio devices being changed at all. So if you normally switch between saw, speakers, HDMI, a headset, or anything else, you'd need to use a virtual audio adapter to pipe the sound to the right device because switching it in Windows won't work if the game's running.

If you plan on using the headset as your -only- source for audio, then you'll have no issues.

It's more than just USB headset. FFXIV does not handle audio devices being changed at all. So if you normally switch between saw, speakers, HDMI, a headset, or anything else, you'd need to use a virtual audio adapter to pipe the sound to the right device because switching it in Windows won't work if the game's running.

If you plan on using the headset as your -only- source for audio, then you'll have no issues.

That's pretty much the case as I'm not I my wanting one for communication purposes, but also because I'm moving my PC to the room nearest the baby nursery. She doesn't need to here gunfire and explosions going off haha

I normally tend to use monitor speakers, because most headsets are uncomfortable after an hour or so, but I do own a HyperX Cloud. It's got good sound quality, uses regular 1/8" audio plugs, and has a detachable mic boom so you can use it as a regular set of headphones. It also includes a dongle with a volume control and push-to-talk switch.

It's not cheap, but it's decent quality and sounds nice, so it's worth it to me.

Probably in the minority here, but I'd almost rather pay double the price for the convenience to not have to deal with all that and just buy a convenient little overpriced package lol

Or.....I have thought about buying one of those $50.00 universal headsets that work with pc/consoles.

I get that, but at least check it out. There really isn't anything to deal with aside from clipping the mic to the headphones, and you'd be saving $100 if you buy the same quality in a headset. These are my headphones; they're on sale right now and are studio quality:

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-240-Semi-Open-Studio-Headphones/dp/B0001ARCFA?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

And this is a mod mic:

http://www.modmic.com/products/modmic-4-0

Just an option.

I mean, my audio jack on the top of the tower I use may be wired oddly but for awhile I had a headset that was able to just be plug and play without anything. So I'm pretty sure there's more to it but my brain is fried.

I mean, my audio jack on the top of the tower I use may be wired oddly but for awhile I had a headset that was able to just be plug and play without anything. So I'm pretty sure there's more to it but my brain is fried.

The 3.5mm jack on the front of a desktop case is usually linked to the motherboard and is treated as the same device or "close enough." ...not always the case depending on the audio hardware, as a sound card would make a difference. (The built in/generic "Intel HD Audio" or Realtek stuff usually doesn't care about the front jack)

All the ports on your PC use the same audio card.

So as far as FFXIV is concerned, nothing changes, you're still using your sound card to produce analog sound. When you plug your headset into the tower, the soundcard decides to route the sound to the front jack instead of the back one.

The USB headset uses an entirely different driver, so ffxiv can't handle the switch.